BajaNomad

Heading from San Diego to San Juanico 6/20/19

aburruss - 6-15-2019 at 01:37 PM

I've got a caravan of two to three cars heading from San Diego at dawn on Thursday, 6/20, making it to Catavina or San Ignacio the first day.. depending on how the 9 month old and two dogs do! :)
Leaving Saturday morning to go to San Ignacio.

Anyone want to caravan?

JZ - 6-15-2019 at 01:39 PM

How's the surfing over there this time of year? What's you're game plan once you are there?

[Edited on 6-15-2019 by JZ]

aburruss - 6-15-2019 at 03:29 PM

Word I hear is that it's "ok". Nothing crazy, but that's good... since there are a handful in our group that have never surfed (myself included) and some fairly beginner level people.

We are there for a week.. Camping, surfing, hanging out with extended family and friends, exploring with the kids up by the mouth of the Cadaje, and who knows what else. Most of the group is heading home on the 28th, but me, the wife, kids and dogs are going to remain and explore in BCS for another week or so, then start heading home, and spend another week making our way back.

No real agenda or game plan... Unless we hear of some "can't miss" things that you can do.. (with two dogs and a trailer in tow) :)

JZ - 6-15-2019 at 05:16 PM

There is a chance we might swing over there the first week in July. Haven't decided yet to do that or head down to La Paz.

My kid has been surfing 2-3 times a week for about a year. So, it might be interesting for him, and cooler than the SoC.

aburruss - 6-15-2019 at 08:10 PM

As of right now, I believe we'll be ending up in La Paz area from about the 30th through the 2nd or 3rd or so...

We took the girls (now 8 and 9) for a week to a point on the seven sisters 18 months ago (December 2018).. they had some great surf to learn on and loved it! Hopefully this will be a little warmer, and they will get a little more hooked!

Hit me up when you're down south, and we'll see where each of us are. Would love to meet up with some from this site.

JZ - 6-15-2019 at 08:49 PM

Just read one blog on SB and it said the best surf is in the summer, as they need a Southern swell.

Is this true?

aburruss - 6-15-2019 at 09:55 PM

It's my first time going into SB (gone past twice, just never into town), AND I'm not a surfer.. so I can't provide much info to you on that. I do know that my wife tells a story of how when she was there one summer when she was a teenager, she caught a 60+ second wave.

Because of her story, I'm hoping to bring down a beater jet ski to tow people in and out of the surf. Walking/paddling back after a 60 second ride would take forever and be exhausting. :)

JZ - 6-15-2019 at 10:47 PM

I've only been there once, about 1.5 years ago. We came up from Loreto going through San Isidro. It was around November.

I just looked at it on the map more closely, and did more reading up on the surfing. It definitely gets its waves in the summer. We are gonna hit it up. I'm going to bring my zodiac and the bikes. Just decided to pass on La Paz.

We might drive up North to Abreojos and Asuncion from there, before swinging back to Loreto.

[Edited on 6-16-2019 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2019 at 11:54 PM

Crikey! You don’t need tow-in at scorpion bay. Jet ski just makes noise and commotion that ruins other people’s surf experience.
You valley and OC peeps should stay home!

solosancarlos - 6-16-2019 at 03:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Crikey! You don’t need tow-in at scorpion bay. Jet ski just makes noise and commotion that ruins other people’s surf experience.
You valley and OC peeps should stay home!

We made sure we warned them that they are coming. Hopefully they close and lock the gate

MMc - 6-16-2019 at 06:52 AM

The place has a pretty small window for surf. The swell needs to be 180 degrees + or -. My first time there never got bigger then knee high. I learner how important it is to pick your travel partner the trip.

Beagle - 6-16-2019 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
It's my first time going into SB (gone past twice, just never into town), AND I'm not a surfer.. so I can't provide much info to you on that. I do know that my wife tells a story of how when she was there one summer when she was a teenager, she caught a 60+ second wave.

Because of her story, I'm hoping to bring down a beater jet ski to tow people in and out of the surf. Walking/paddling back after a 60 second ride would take forever and be exhausting. :)

I know you're kidding on the jet ski. But for real, just walk back along the shore.

On a serious note. The Sting Rays are out. I got nailed 3 weeks ago and several other people did too in just a few days (that I know of). Shuffle in the sand. Have a good first aid kit and the ability to make hot water FAST. Have a pot of water on the side ready to go on the stove. Knowing what I know now, I'd have a full cycle of Cipro on hand too. There are kits online that you can buy that will suck the venom out as well. Someone left one at our house before and it helps. Have a plan cuz they are out there. Have fun.

PS-Don't unload the entire caravan of surfers all at once into the lineup. No better/faster way to wear out your welcome.

aburruss - 6-16-2019 at 12:57 PM

Calm down everyone. There's no "valley and OC peeps" (whatever that actually means) going on this trip. We are going with a group of very experienced surfers and baja travelers. There just happens to be a few novices along.