BajaNomad

The insurance question?

fishbuck - 6-17-2019 at 06:56 PM

I need to buy the Baja Insurance for my truck.
I have read both Bajabound and Discover Baja webpages.

Is there a dime of difference between the 2. Is there another good company?
I have never bought the full annual policy.
I kind of like the 120 day policy.
But not sure if my truck will be there more.
It is suppose to be...
Would really appreciate it if you can share your experience on it.:coolup:

aburruss - 6-17-2019 at 07:02 PM

I've had a fantastic experience with the HDI Seguros 120 day policy that we purchased through DiscoverBaja. "Someone" drove the vehicle off of the road in BoLA, completely messed up the radiator, transmission, and some body panels, and the insurance paid to have the car towed back to the states and fixed in the states.

I have no idea how the enforce the 120 day portion of that policy, but I'm never there for more than 120 days out of 365, so it's never been an issue for me.

SFandH - 6-17-2019 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
I've had a fantastic experience with the HDI Seguros 120 day policy that we purchased through DiscoverBaja. "Someone" drove the vehicle off of the road in BoLA, completely messed up the radiator, transmission, and some body panels, and the insurance paid to have the car towed back to the states and fixed in the states.

Good info, thanks.

AKgringo - 6-17-2019 at 07:17 PM

What is the value of your truck? My Baja rig is only worth about three thousand dollars or so, and I choose to buy an annual "driver's license policy" from Bajabound instead of insuring the vehicle.

It provides liability coverage, and some legal coverage as well, no matter whose car you are driving. (but not for motorhomes or motorcycles)

willardguy - 6-17-2019 at 07:21 PM

I'd buy from reputable mexican broker.

John Harper - 6-17-2019 at 07:24 PM

I got a quote from an agent in Rosarito for a drivers only policy. I think it was only $120 a year? Maybe a bit less perhaps.

AK - How much was your policy from BajaBound?

John

aburruss - 6-17-2019 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  

I have no idea how the enforce the 120 day portion of that policy, but I'm never there for more than 120 days out of 365, so it's never been an issue for me.

Also, for what it's worth, I got the option for "Best Coverage" or "Economy Coverage". I chose "Best". Looks to include vandalism and Partial Theft, and also increases the amounts on uninsured motorist and Medical payments. I've used NONE of those upgraded features.

My 120 day policy on a 2006 truck with a trailer was $380.

AKgringo - 6-17-2019 at 07:35 PM

I can not find the policy, it expired almost a year ago but I believe it was closer to $200. I should add that it covers up to three people, and all the information can be found by following the link in the header at the top of this page.

fishbuck - 6-17-2019 at 07:51 PM

Very cool.
My truck is worth too much to not fully insure. But not alot.
I like the idea of a "reputable Mexican broker" but not sure what that is.
I want to buy online tonight if I can.
Crossing in tommorrow for a 5 day down to the camp.
Fish are biting and I need to work on setting up the my house.
And inspect my septic tank hole that should have gotten dug.
So I'm on a mission... for some fishin'...

Bajazly - 6-17-2019 at 07:53 PM

I just reuped my year policy on an 08 Tacoma, damage and theft at 25k
medical at 300k, repair in US full fair for just shy of $529.

Got it thru Bajabound and chose Chubb.

fishbuck - 6-17-2019 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

That's about the same for a full annual on my truck.
I think that is the best...
I'm cheap so I always look for "the deal".
But might go "full boat" and forget about it for a year.

Bajazly - 6-17-2019 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Que esta "full boat"?

sancho - 6-17-2019 at 08:42 PM

To me, what drastically changes the price is how much
CSL you choose, there are policies that have 50k going
to 500k and higher. A couple yrs. back, one of the San Diego
brokers said he could not remember an incident over 90k.
I get the 300k which is probably way overkill, but I 'm a
bit hinky driving in Mex. Had one of the 90/120 day policy brokers
say 'it is on the honor system to not be SOB more than the
policy states', way too flaky for me

Bajazly - 6-17-2019 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

What is a 90 or 120 day policy? You can be in the country for that amount of time out of 365 days? The end of the policy is pretty set. Buy it and 120 days later its done or???

fishbuck - 6-18-2019 at 12:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Que esta "full boat"?

Full coverage with all the bells and whistles.

fishbuck - 6-18-2019 at 12:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

I always wonder about it. In this case more is better I think. But yeah, 300k seems about right.

JZ - 6-18-2019 at 12:20 AM

I like Baja Bound because their website is one of the best around. Once you enter all your info, they make it super easy to renew. I can add or subtract different things to a policy - bikes carried or towed, boat towed, etc.

Once you have entered all your personal info, and all the vehicles, and toys, you can make a new policy in minutes. It's an incredibly well designed website.

Plus, when you call them, they give you quick and straight answers about policy coverage.

Personally, I crank the CSL up to the max.

[Edited on 6-18-2019 by JZ]

Alan - 6-18-2019 at 07:12 AM

Personally I swear by HDI. The one time I had to make a claim over the loss of my boat they settled it for the full amount and it was completely resolved in about 30 days. The other recommendation I would make is to purchase your policy through one of the travel clubs such as Baja Bound or Discover Baja.

My policies are through Discover Baja and DB was with me through the entire process. They obviously wield a great deal of power just through the number of policies they write. Anytime I couldn't get a response to an email in a timely manner I simply added a cc to Discover Baja and I would receive an answer in 24 hrs or less. I just feel better having the support of a travel club behind me rather than trying to deal directly with an agent of the company that may not have my full best interests at heart.

David K - 6-18-2019 at 07:36 AM

HDI Insurance I think is the #1 Mexican company? They also offer Chubb Insurance, a bit less $.

Sold in San Diego or online at Baja Bound and Discover Baja Travel Club.

Both San Diego companies are great people to deal with and I have bought from both over the years.

One is a club, so you do pay for membership which has discounts offered on the insurance and other services in Baja. They have a bookstore in their club office and sell maps, too.

The other is just an insurance agency that supports many Baja activities including THIS website (Baja Nomad) as well as my writing monthly articles and sponsors my book. A new road guide will be coming soon from Baja Bound.

Maybe also check the Baja Good Life Club as they do have Baja Bound discounted to their members?

SENTRI Discount

bajaguy - 6-18-2019 at 07:59 AM

Through Bajabound

fishbuck - 6-18-2019 at 08:08 AM

I notices Chubbs is about $200 cheaper than HDI for me.
Same coverage.
With the me being cheap part that's hard to pass up...

If no one knows anything bad about Chubbs... that's the deal from the 2 leading candidates...
Do Nomads who bought Chubbs like it?

AKgringo - 6-18-2019 at 08:11 AM

I am absolutely delighted that I never required their services, other than issuing the policy!

David K - 6-18-2019 at 08:15 AM

Why not call Geoff or Jennifer at Baja Bound and ask them to explain the difference between Chubb and HDI. Don't quote me, but I think it is maybe the amount of legal aid (get out of jail card) and liability?

fishbuck - 6-18-2019 at 08:22 AM

Ok.

sancho - 6-18-2019 at 08:31 AM

What is a 90 or 120 day policy? You can be in the country for that amount of time out of 365 days?

Never had one of these, but it is my understanding a policy
holder can be SOB for the stated number of days during
a 365 day period, coming and going, or continuous. You
don't check in Or out, saves some $$$. 'On the honor
system' baffles me. People use it with success, just not
sure if push comes to shove, how to prove one hasn't
been SOB in excess of the # of days on policy

David K - 6-18-2019 at 09:26 AM

The 90-day policy means during the 365 days from getting that policy, you can travel in Baja up to those number of days and be covered. I took 8 trips in 2017, but each one ranged from 3 to 14 days, most were a week long... so say 56 days of the 90 I had coverage for.

Bajazly - 6-18-2019 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The 90-day policy means during the 365 days from getting that policy, you can travel in Baja up to those number of days and be covered. I took 8 trips in 2017, but each one ranged from 3 to 14 days, most were a week long... so say 56 days of the 90 I had coverage for.

How do they know how many days you have been there? Seems like burden of proof would fall on the policy holder when they say no, you have been here more than the allotted days of the policy.

ZipLine - 6-18-2019 at 10:17 AM

FWIW, you might also take a look at the liability levels. I significantly increased my minimums. If you were in a serious accident in which the other party had significant injuries and you were found liable, I don't think the minimums would get you far.

I am aware of one instance (only one though and as always, could have been BS) where the foreign (USA) driver was held until agreeing to cover the damages above what his liability would cover. Hospital stays, out of work coverage, ongoing care if needed for a while...

I think I doubled or even tripled my liability coverage and it really didn't add more than a few bucks to the cost, but provides a lot of peace of mind. No need to pay more than you need to pay, but do take a look at the minimums and see if you think they are realistic. In my case, I thought not.

David K - 6-18-2019 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

How do they know how many days you have been there? Seems like burden of proof would fall on the policy holder when they say no, you have been here more than the allotted days of the policy.

Honor system perhaps? Your FMM will have the date when you began the first trip, maybe. These are questions for Geoff at Baja Bound or your insurance agent. If these companies made a practice of screwing clients, just how long would they stay in business?

JZ - 6-18-2019 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ZipLine  
FWIW, you might also take a look at the liability levels. I significantly increased my minimums. If you were in a serious accident in which the other party had significant injuries and you were found liable, I don't think the minimums would get you far.

I am aware of one instance (only one though and as always, could have been BS) where the foreign (USA) driver was held until agreeing to cover the damages above what his liability would cover. Hospital stays, out of work coverage, ongoing care if needed for a while...

I think I doubled or even tripled my liability coverage and it really didn't add more than a few bucks to the cost, but provides a lot of peace of mind. No need to pay more than you need to pay, but do take a look at the minimums and see if you think they are realistic. In my case, I thought not.

That's what we are referring to in the discussions of CSL.

"Combined single limit (CSL) CSL is a single number that describes the predetermined limit for the combined total of the Bodily Injury Liability coverage and Property Damage Liability coverage per occurrence or accident."

SFandH - 6-18-2019 at 11:46 AM

I bought an annual policy with Qualitas from an agent in TJ that a friend recommended. Liability only, $150,000 coverage for $220 (premium cost and agent fee).

How does that compare with the policies Bajabound and Baja Discover sell?

[Edited on 6-18-2019 by SFandH]

JZ - 6-18-2019 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I bought an annual policy with Qualitas from an agent in TJ that a friend recommended. Liability only, $150,000 coverage for $220 (premium cost and agent fee).

That is pretty cheap. If you want a comparison, you can go up on the BB site and get a quote fast w/o needing to talk to anyone.

[Edited on 6-19-2019 by JZ]

sancho - 6-18-2019 at 12:27 PM

Since one does not have to check in or out when going SOB,
they have no record of the # of days in Mex. DK has a point
that if these Co.s were messing with people word would
spread. Used Bajabound exclusively over the yrs., never
had to contact them, but from what I've read here, not that
he has the ultimate say, but Geoff appears hands on and
will assist a holder

Don Jorge - 6-18-2019 at 12:49 PM

Another vote for BajaBound. Their website, as noted, is easy to use.
Also noted previously, and we concur, is the the professional, knowledgeable and friendly staff. Geoff, Jennifer, Hank, Yara and all the others are really nice people too.

First met the crew at BB back when FDT meant Fernando of Nomads.
The BB crew worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make Ferna's Dia de los Reyes Tijuana Toy Drive a huge success by serving as a drop off point for gifts and often helping Ferna get out of the many annual jams he always seemed to get into and then out of, with the help of the BB crew

We prefer to exchange money for services with people who we feel contribute to the community they serve. For us Baja auto insurance is synonymous with Baja Bound.

pacificobob - 6-18-2019 at 02:01 PM

Que esta "full boat"?[/rquote]

considering investing in a Spanish grammar book with the money you save on insurance.

Marc - 6-20-2019 at 08:29 AM

Discover Baja Club
2007 Tundra
HDI
Anywhere in Mexico 120 days
$388

solosancarlos - 6-20-2019 at 12:33 PM

and remember if you call Baja Bound direct at the SD office they will give you far more options on insurance packages and probably save you more money than if you just robo-purchased it online

They are excellent to speak with and very helpful and professional

[Edited on 6-20-2019 by solosancarlos]

David K - 6-20-2019 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Baja Bound was less depending on medical coverage options and using HDI.
Instead of HDI, you could go with Chubb and at 100,000 was only $183 or 300,000 was $253.
You can go to their site an punch in lots of choices: https://www.bajabound.com/buy/?view=start

willardguy - 6-20-2019 at 04:36 PM

what other MEXICAN products do you buy from an american? support our local businesses, use a mexican broker! :light:

David K - 6-20-2019 at 05:20 PM

What other Baja forum do you enjoy, for free, thanks to the sponsoring of Baja Nomad and Talk Baja from Baja Bound?

ZipLine - 6-21-2019 at 05:10 PM

I use a broker I believe will come through for me in a pinch. When I need help, I need help. I don't care where they come from.

I do plenty of business with local businesses and have no guilt about considering skilled brokers regardless of their nationality. Mine happens to be Mexican, but that had nothing to do with why I chose her.

That is a very long list

thebajarunner - 6-21-2019 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
what other MEXICAN products do you buy from an american? support our local businesses, use a mexican broker! :light:

I buy my Modelos from the Modesto Costco
Bought my F150 (hecho en Mexico) from the Oakdale Ford dealer
Buy my Herdez Salsa Verde from Raleys here in town..

the list goes on, and on, and on.....

And yes, I very much appreciate working with Bajabound,
For many reasons including
Very good service
Very responsive to inquiries (never had a claim/knock on wood)
Support Nomad

and that list goes on for a bit.....

willardguy - 6-21-2019 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I buy my Modelos from the Modesto Costco
Bought my F150 (hecho en Mexico) from the Oakdale Ford dealer
Buy my Herdez Salsa Verde from Raleys here in town..

the list goes on, and on, and on.....

And yes, I very much appreciate working with Bajabound,
For many reasons including
Very good service
Very responsive to inquiries (never had a claim/knock on wood)
Support Nomad

and that list goes on for a bit.....

well thats great but my question was directed at fishbuck who I believe is a san quintin resident now, he is asking for an opinion on insurance and as a full timer I suggest using a local broker. thats my opinion...thats all.;)

Bajazly - 6-24-2019 at 06:18 PM

So here is a spin on the insurance thing that maybe needs to be another thread but its pretty simple.

Long story short, I'll be there full time endish of July.
Going to start the immigration thing soon.
Talked to my US insurer today, USAA and if the car is not here
6 months or more a year, they won't write the policy even tho
it is basically free money for them.
I have a business entity in Montana and think I can register the truck there.

Question is, to keep the rego legit with insurance here, satisfy the Mexican ins
policy requirement to have a US policy and to come back here every now and then,
what US company would write a bare bones policy and doesn't care the truck is hardly
ever in the US? I will have some US address but hope to get everything out of Cali for
obvious reasons.

solosancarlos - 6-24-2019 at 07:48 PM

SD reg

fishbuck - 6-24-2019 at 07:54 PM

I ended up visiting Bajabound in San Diego.
Super nice people.
Got the annual.

[Edited on 6-25-2019 by fishbuck]

Bajazly - 6-24-2019 at 08:04 PM

Yeah no, I got the Mexican insurance covered, I need the US insurance to validate the Mexican policy. My US company won't write the policy if I am living down there so I need to switch insurers here, in the US.

Hook - 6-25-2019 at 12:44 PM

Yeah no, I got the Mexican insurance covered, I need the US insurance to validate the Mexican policy. My US company won't write the policy if I am living down there so I need to switch insurers here, in the US.

What many of us retirees do is get Hartford Insurance through AARP. We then suspend the US coverage when we go south for six months and they rebate the balance for those months. We have been doing it this way for several years. We reactivate by phone or website when we return. Most ins. co. wont do this but Hartford does. Nice, big company, of course.

My wife generally does this, but I think you must get full coverage in the States to do this suspension thing.

There are other ways, too. Some people I know use an insurance company in Texas that has GRINGO in the title. Cant remember what it is. Do a search.

AKgringo - 6-25-2019 at 01:31 PM

I am a snow bird, and I have vehicles in Alaska, and California. When I fly south, I place the Anchorage vehicles on comprehensive coverage only, which keeps the policy active, but at a fraction of the cost.

At the same time, I re-activate the liability coverage on the CA vehicles, and that has worked well for me so far. I carry liability only, so I don't know how that would affect collision coverage through a Mexican company!

I am sure that all insurance companies have different policies, and I have found that the even with same company you may have significant differences in different states, so it would be better to ask them for cost details, not me!

Bajazly - 6-25-2019 at 01:38 PM

Mine just had the requirement that the truck be here at least 6 months of the year and if they found out it wasn't, they could and would deny a claim. Cancelling insurance is a sure way to have the DMV cancel you rego. Maybe different companies have different requirements for where the truck is most of the time but mine will be in Baja 95% of the year.

It's my understanding to have the Mexican policy valid one must have an active US policy. Talking to Bajabound yesterday, that seems to be the case.

karenintx - 6-25-2019 at 03:59 PM

We had been USAA members for 45+ years and they are the best! That said, here is our story.

In April 2008 we brought our SUV to Cabo San Lucas. The first insurance police we did what "people" were saying...you have to have an US auto insurance policy for your Mexican auto Insurance to be valid. Neither of us are ones to go on "they say" information. We tend to ask questions by going to the source. We were lucky to have met a businessman that owns several tourist boats...snorkeling, sunset, whale watching etc. He has been in this area for 40+ years, he has dual citizenship, is bi-lingual and gives straight answers. We asked the name of his insurance company and was he happy with their customer service and their claims department. We then went to their office, we were greeting in English then an other person came out to talk with us. We explained to him that we had been told we needed to keep an US auto insurance policy in order for our Mexican car insurance to be valid. He told us...this is not true.

We have had our Mexican car insurance with this company since 2009. Our policy shows a US South Dakota plated vehicle that has full coverage...liability ($500,000) medical ($15,000 per person up to $75,000 total payout) theft ($1,000 deductible) Physical Damage ($500 deductible) along with legal and travel coverage. They also have bi-lingual phone customer service agents and bi-lingual field agents.

In a previous life I was an high-risk auto insurance underwriter so I know that an insurance company is only had good as their claim service. So one day about three years ago we had a fender bender...the hubby's fault. We got the policy out of the glove compartment and called "the number". Long story short, our Mexican auto insurance covered everything. We were fortunate that no one was injured, just the hubby's ego...and again, we did not have an US auto insurance policy only Mexican auto insurance.

I have read on this website..."you have to have a FMM, RT or a RP and they will ask you for that". We were never asked by the policeman, the insurance field agent or anyone about our immigration statues. The only thing we were asked for was our "insurance and registration".

I can not speak or give advise on other insurance companies, maybe their underwriting rules require US auto insurance coverage. I do agree with Willardeguy...find a Mexican insurance company that does not have this underwriting rule. Do like Hook said...for the times you need to go NOB and like someone said...get South Dakota plates, it is so easy.

I am not looking for opinions or advise...just sharing some facts on the subject.

Our policy is written by ABA auto Seguro.

Bajazly - 6-25-2019 at 06:33 PM

Well, that is promising. I just re uped my annual Mexican policy and I'm sure I can skate under the radar until I need to do it again. My rego is due Jan 1 so that gives me some time to figure out how to register the truck.

sancho - 6-25-2019 at 06:36 PM

A few yrs. back, on one or both of the popular San Diego
Mex Ins. brokers, if filling out their online application, one
did not indicate they had full coverage in the US, it would
kick it over to liability only, not the case now. The squabble
over Immigration status stems from on Mex Ins policies it
most always states 'one has to be in Mex legally'. Never
appears to have ever been enforced. Not suggesting one's
policy would be invalid, never heard nor read it has.
Me, I'm not one to
trust Ins Co's, US or Mex. Not saying it has ever happened, but
having a Mex Cop ask for Immigration papers, not having
anything to show, may give him full mordida leverage.
Glad ABA was responsive