BajaNomad

Sierra de la Laguna 4x4 trails?

Isignay - 7-4-2019 at 02:27 PM

My wife and I are in San Jose Del Cabo for the month and are looking to take a break from the heat. We tried heading to Sierra De La Laguna to explore but ran into numerous private ranches with dead end roads.

Are there any roads that lead towards the higher elevation portions of the mountains with good camping? We don't have a crazy monster 4x4 but our Tundra is capable and has high clearance.

Thank you.

David K - 7-5-2019 at 08:23 AM

1) The Los Naranjos road crosses the sierra from just north of San José del Cabo over to the Pacific side, Km. 54.5. The north side of San José del Cabo is Km. 32. It is often washed out during storms.

2) Ramal a San Antonio de la Sierra, is a graded road at Km. 147 (about 12 miles past San Bartolo) that goes way back into the hills above Los Barriles.

Do see the other sites during your time there: The missions, Boca de la Sierra past Miraflores, the bat cave of Santiago, the spring-fed swimming pool and mangoes at San Bartolo, the waterfall and hot springs near Santiago, the oldest mine in all the Californias (Real de Santa Ana)... Just so much Baja to explore!

tiotomasbcs - 7-5-2019 at 08:54 AM

Very few roads, thankfully. The weather here on Pacific Coast is still nice...hot but cool breezes. North of TS you could camp but always be alert. Cerritos Beach is too crowded for me nowadays . Check rentals/B&Bs...offseason pricing. Beautiful Old Pueblo. Good luck.

4x4abc - 7-5-2019 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
1) The Los Naranjos road crosses the sierra from just north of San José del Cabo over to the Pacific side, Km. 54.5. The north side of San José del Cabo is Km. 32. It is often washed out during storms.

2) Ramal a San Antonio de la Sierra, is a graded road at Km. 147 (about 12 miles past San Bartolo) that goes way back into the hills above Los Barriles.

none offer high elevation or camping

Pacific coast is your best bet during the summer

David K - 7-5-2019 at 10:40 AM

There is also a lot to explore between El Triunfo and Todos Santos. Old silver mines and villages. El Oro comes to mind. See photos from Jack Swords: http://www.vivabaja.com/swords/page6.html

Harald, thanks... I saw many photos of the Naranjas road that sure looked like they were taken high up? I added what I did as nobody else had since yesterday to give them something to do in their Tundra other than the city stuff. July on the Tropic of Cancer will not find them in any cool places, that's for sure.

defrag4 - 7-5-2019 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

none offer high elevation or camping

Pacific coast is your best bet during the summer

damn, like the TS i was eyeballing that area for a high elevation escape from the heat, guess its too remote or privately owned to have any accessible high elevation roads?

wilderone - 7-7-2019 at 07:59 AM

Go to Sol de Mayo - a bit west of Santiago (go to Santiago - go through town to the corner with all the signs - it's on most maps, and there are signs along the road. Casitas, hiking trails, waterfall. Road that goes there also passes junction to 16 mi. dirt road that passes a bunch of stuff, and ends up at Sierra de la Laguna trailheads.

David K - 7-7-2019 at 11:18 AM

Sweet! :bounce::light::cool:

JZ - 7-7-2019 at 03:38 PM

We had several days in the 80s on the SoC this week. 90 and 100s inland. Water was perfect to swim.

Check out this thread for a fantastic coastal route North of Los Barriles.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92987

[Edited on 7-7-2019 by JZ]

Nikno - 7-12-2019 at 11:14 AM

Type "San Pedro de la Soledad" into Google Maps and search directions from Cabo and Jan Jose del Cabo and you'll get a nice loop that crosses the peninsula. This might be the same road that David is referring to as Los Naranjos. There is a buddhist retreat about halfway along this route that offers cabanas and I believe they have camping spots.

https://tsegyalgarwest.org/

An easy but beautiful drive is just heading up the dirt road on the East Cape to Cabo Pulmo and then looping back around through Santiago and checking out Canon de la Zorra waterfalls. There is camping there.

Lastly, a bit further afield, but if you are there for a month, drive up to Los Barriles (1.5 hours from Cabo) and take the dirt road up the coast to Bahia de los Muertos and then up the canyon to San Juan de los Planes. Someone recently posted a trip report from this route with some fantastic pics.

David K - 7-12-2019 at 02:56 PM

Welcome to Nomad!
:bounce:

Isignay - 7-14-2019 at 08:21 AM

Thank you for the replies everyone.