BajaNomad

My moto?

fishbuck - 7-6-2019 at 01:14 PM

I have misplaced the pink for my Honda CRF-450.
Infact, the pink still is still in some ladies name and from Oregon.

So, I want to take my bike down and figure out if I want to turn it into a desert bike or rebuild him into an even more bad donkey motocross bike and make myself a little track...

The question.
Will I be waved thru or are they going to want to see the pink?
I probably have it in a box in my storage. Somewhere...

willardguy - 7-6-2019 at 01:25 PM

you'll need a current registration.

fishbuck - 7-6-2019 at 01:28 PM

Rats!

mjs - 7-6-2019 at 01:59 PM

However, if you ride it through you probably won't be stopped.

JZ - 7-6-2019 at 02:31 PM

If it's on the truck 100% chance they will stop you.

Maderita - 7-6-2019 at 03:11 PM

Current registration will be demanded. They want the original document, whereas, in the USA a photocopy is acceptable. As JZ said, 100% chance of being stopped (I can only speak for Tecate, Otay, and San Ysidro gates). Same with trailers.

On 6-24-2019, I transferred title on a Honda XR. The California title arrived yesterday, in only 11 days !

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by Maderita]

fishbuck - 7-6-2019 at 06:01 PM

Maybe this bike ain't making the trip. I'll sell it here no pink and I'm sure it will get across somehow...

Bajazly - 7-6-2019 at 06:54 PM

There is an old JC song one could learn from here, I Took it one piece at a time and it didn’t cost me a dime....

TMW - 7-6-2019 at 07:20 PM

In CA there is a form attached to the pick slip that the seller fills out as to who it was sold to etc and then they mail it to the DMV. It releases the seller's ownership in the vehicle. If OR has the same system and she sent it in you could contact the OR DMV and request a duplicate title.

[Edited on 7-7-2019 by TMW]

caj13 - 7-6-2019 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
In CA there is a form attached to the pick slip that the seller fills out as to who it was sold to etc and then they mail it to the DMV. It releases the seller's ownership in the vehicle. If OR has the same system and she sent it in you could contact the OR DMV and request a duplicate title.

[Edited on 7-7-2019 by TMW]

Yes, but if Cal DMV does send you a new title, you still will need current registration. And since you didn't transfer title, they will probably go by the date on the bottom of the pink slip, and last registration date, and you will have to pay all of the back fees. You may be able to sell it in Ca to someone with no title - if they are an idiot! buying someone elses problem, with no title - pretty iffy. If you make it cheap enough, someone will buy it, but it better be cheap!

Bajazly - 7-6-2019 at 09:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Current registration will be demanded. They want the original document, whereas, in the USA a photocopy is acceptable. As JZ said, 100% chance of being stopped (I can only speak for Tecate, Otay, and San Ysidro gates). Same with trailers.

On 6-24-2019, I transferred title on a Honda XR. The California title arrived yesterday, in only 11 days !

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by Maderita]

Do they really look at and care if it’s currently registered? In theory yes but the way it was explained to me with the race car is that they want to see a document that says it is yours and not say, the officials looking at it upon entry. With the race car we just list it on the insurance docs and they are happy, because it is an official piece of paper.

Fishy has a different problem because his name isn’t on the title but if you just had the title, would that be enough? Has anybody been turned back because the rego was expired? I guess it is Mexico and as always, YMMV.

ehall - 7-7-2019 at 05:49 AM

50/50 if you ride it in.
100% if it is on the truck or trailer. That's my experience the last 5 years.
They want registration.

KurtG - 7-7-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
50/50 if you ride it in.
100% if it is on the truck or trailer. That's my experience the last 5 years.
They want registration.

I have never been checked riding in but always if bike is on a trailer or pickup. When checked they wanted to see registration and asked for other ID to confirm that I was the owner.

bajatrailrider - 7-8-2019 at 07:52 AM

They do not want to see pink slip worst thing you can give them. The registration card no copy.

DanO - 7-8-2019 at 11:05 AM

And they almost always check the VIN on the bike against the VIN on the registration.

ZipLine - 7-8-2019 at 03:09 PM

I've ridden my moto across many times. Never been stopped. The few bikes I've seen stopped seemed to get only a quick glance (what can you hide on a bike!?) and off they go. At the very worst they'll turn you around and send you back to the States.

That pesky VIN

MrBillM - 7-8-2019 at 06:10 PM

Years back, I took a Honda 200 ATC down south that (while legal) lacked usable paperwork due to its history. I used the Pink from one that I already had down there. Luckily (since I hadn't considered it), they didn't check the VIN, even though they did demand to see the legal. Of course, that was during the days when Mordida was ALWAYS an option. Nowadays, that's changed. Not for the better.

Speaking of the VIN, I once bought a Glass-Bodied Dune Buggy sans paperwork to take south and uncertain over the VIN, ground it off and filled/painted the area.

Better none (and a good story) than a bad one.

Something to consider.

[Edited on 7-9-2019 by MrBillM]

Marc - 7-9-2019 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
There is an old JC song one could learn from here, I Took it one piece at a time and it didn’t cost me a dime....

What I was thinking. Take it apart and scatter the pieces around.

advrider - 7-9-2019 at 06:14 PM

Ride it or take it in parts, done deal!

JZ - 7-10-2019 at 07:56 PM

Taking it in parts is pretty clever.

bajatrailrider - 7-11-2019 at 07:51 AM

I took a Cr85 apart under my truck Engine in spare tire then cranked up . Under frame.