BajaNomad

Question about taking a Side by side into Baha

John M - 7-7-2019 at 05:08 PM

I would like to take a borrowed side by side into Baja - it would be on a trailer registered to me.

What are the issues? It would be borrowed from a friend and she will give me written permission if necessary? Notarized Permission?

or???

John M

[Edited on 7-8-2019 by John M]

aburruss - 7-7-2019 at 08:21 PM

I've experienced no problems doing this. The most important thing is that you have the registration. Doesn't seem to matter WHOs name is on the registration, as long as you have the registration that matches the vehicle (trailer, race car, truck, SxS, etc) in question.

I always also have a letter from the registered owner stating that I have permission to be in possession of the vehicle (with VIN, make, model, year, dates in question, signature), as well as a copy of their ID. I've never been asked for ANY of this.

Your mileage may vary, but my experience doing this MANY times is that the registration of the vehicle should be all you need.

JZ - 7-7-2019 at 08:48 PM

I have given them the registration for our bikes a dozen times.

They have never once cross referenced it with my passport or anything.

weebray - 7-8-2019 at 07:28 AM

This is Mexico. There are rules. They may apply to you. The "system" has built-in flexibility. Everything if for sale. Past history concerning these types of concerns indicates that you have a very small chance of any inconvenience. There is no absolute answer to your question.

thanks

John M - 7-8-2019 at 07:22 PM

appreciate the advice. John

JZ - 7-8-2019 at 07:25 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Charlie Nichols - 7-9-2019 at 09:32 AM

Do not try to bring in any extra gas in cans for the SxS...that is one thing they will ding you on.

But normally, all they seem to care about is the trailer registration. They may glance at the UTV, but in my experience, they at least appear to look much closer at the trailer.

JZ - 7-9-2019 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Charlie Nichols  
Do not try to bring in any extra gas in cans for the SxS...that is one thing they will ding you on.

But normally, all they seem to care about is the trailer registration. They may glance at the UTV, but in my experience, they at least appear to look much closer at the trailer.

Disagree. They are going to compare the VIN on the registration to the VIN on the RZR. They do it every single time in my experience.

mojo_norte - 7-9-2019 at 12:28 PM

Yup - they zero in on the Bike and Trailer VIN / Rego and seem to ignore everything else (Tecate)