BajaNomad

Passport card

Howard - 7-24-2019 at 09:21 PM

What are the advantages of having a passport card in addition to the normal passport?

Driving north at say, San Ysidro, can you get into a different line that is normally shorter?

Flying into the states from Mexico, what does the card get you?

freediverbrian - 7-24-2019 at 09:40 PM

Nothing, a passport card is for land use only entering the US no international. It is not a fast pass , it is cheaper document . If you have a regular passport no need for a card.

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2019 at 09:48 PM

Passport card not valid for intl air travel. Only accepted at land borders. It might be accepted in readi lanes at land border.
You are better off with real passport and global entry - that’s the golden ticket

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by mtgoat666]

Howard - 7-24-2019 at 11:12 PM

So for land travel from Mexico there is no benefit other than the convenience of carrying it in your wallet Vs carrying around the passport book?

Passport Card

bajaguy - 7-25-2019 at 04:49 AM

Can I use my passport card at Ready Lanes?....... Yes.

Adults and children with U.S. passport cards can save time at the U.S.-Mexico border by using designated Ready Lanes that read the passport card's Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology.

Passport Card - Bureau of Consular Affairs:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-r...

David K - 7-25-2019 at 06:59 AM

Doesn't the passport book with the camera logo on it also RFID to used in the Ready Lane? I have both but use Tecate northbound so no Ready Lane option there.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 07:51 AM

Pros:
cheaper
can be used in the Ready Lanes
easier to carry than the book
waterproof

Cons:
only for travel by land and sea
restricted to travel of 20 countries: Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and 17 islands in the Caribbean.
No ability to look at all your fun country stamps

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by bajafam]

AKgringo - 7-25-2019 at 08:00 AM

For residents of states that have been slow to comply with "real ID" standards (like AK and CA) the passport card has served for boarding domestic flights, and entrance to federal buildings where an ID is required.

BornFisher - 7-25-2019 at 08:05 AM

Get the card. You don`t need one until you need one. Could save you lots of hassle someday.

rhintransit - 7-25-2019 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
So for land travel from Mexico there is no benefit other than the convenience of carrying it in your wallet Vs carrying around the passport book?

Well, at land crossings with ready lanes, those are usually shorter. Of course, that requires a ready lane open. Crossing at Otay Mesa, two different pedestrian crossings, one has, one does not...or rather has something marked ready lane but is used as regular lane. When I inquired about this, the agent told me, well, people don’t read the signs and we end up with everyone anyway so we just gave up on it.

Howard - 7-25-2019 at 08:32 AM

Thanks to all, very informative and on point.

See how nice we can all play in the sand box!

Bajazly - 7-25-2019 at 08:42 AM

So if you have Ready or GE, do you need to have the passport card or is the passbook ok?

Paco Facullo - 7-25-2019 at 08:45 AM

A big advantage I've found for the passport card is that when traveling I take both so I'm able to leave my passport in my room safe (if there is one) and carry my passport card as ID....

Also everyone should take a photo of your passport and place in a folder in your email account. This is in case everything gets stolen it will be MUCH easier the identify yourself at the Embassy..

Also, add all international free calling numbers for all the CC cards you are taking..

JoeJustJoe - 7-25-2019 at 08:52 AM

Howard wrote: "What are the advantages of having a passport card in addition to the normal passport?"

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages of not getting both a passport and passport card when you renew your passport.

What is it about another $30 dollars to get both?

So the only disadvantage of not getting both at the same time is about $30 dollars?

The advantages are using the Ready lane, and the convenience of having a passport card in your wallet.

Now when I had only the passport, I wouldn't waste my time getting a separate passport card, because the advantages are not that great to hassle to the paperwork, photos, and higher fee.

However if you're going to renew your passport, it's a no brainer to get both with the same paperwork online, unless you're a cheapskate and don't want to fork over a few extra bucks for both.

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by JoeJustJoe]

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 09:38 AM

It's not necessarily being a cheapskate. Especially if you have to fork over the cash for more than one set.

Adults (new application) $110 for book, $30 for card, $140 for both (good for 10 years) + agent application fee of $35 for book, $30 for card + passport photo fee $ varies

Children (new application) $80 for book, $15 for card, $95 for both (good for 5 years) + agent application fee of $35 + passport photo fee $ varies

Adult (renewal by mail) $110 for book, $30 for card + photo fees

Child renewal is the same as applying for a new passport as it is not done by mail.

As one can see, it gets pretty pricey. No one discusses the agent fee, or the photo fee.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 09:41 AM

Not to mention the expediting fees, if those are needed.

Also note that credit and debit cards are not accepted for payment of the passport itself. You have to pay with check or money order (an additional fee)

Agent fees are payable by cash, check, money order, or credit/debit

JoeJustJoe - 7-25-2019 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafam  
It's not necessarily being a cheapskate. Especially if you have to fork over the cash for more than one set.

Adults (new application) $110 for book, $30 for card, $140 for both (good for 10 years) + agent application fee of $35 for book, $30 for card + passport photo fee $ varies

Children (new application) $80 for book, $15 for card, $95 for both (good for 5 years) + agent application fee of $35 + passport photo fee $ varies

Adult (renewal by mail) $110 for book, $30 for card + photo fees

Child renewal is the same as applying for a new passport as it is not done by mail.

As one can see, it gets pretty pricey. No one discusses the agent fee, or the photo fee.

Since I'm betting that not too many members here have young children, I'm mainly talking about individuals paying $110 dollars, plus $30 more for the passport card, when you renew your card.

I did it all online same paperwork, and only one sets of photos at Wallgreens for $10 dollars, and for $140 dollars for the passport and passport card, which I consider a great deal.

After filling it out online and printing it, I then mailed it out, no agent fees to pay, and it came very quickly about two weeks later, or at least it did for me.

Now I can understand how expensive it is to get a passport for the whole family, especially the first time, and so I don't consider families as cheapskates, as I do for individuals who won't pony up an extra $30 dollars for a passport card.

For those families if they don't want to pay the big bucks for passports for the whole family, and they are only making a quick border trip, they could always skip the passport, drive over the US/Mexican border, and when they drive back home, and go through US customs, take the driver's license, and birth certificates, like many thousands of people especially Mexican-American, with families still do, and as long as they are American citizens, US Customs will let them return no problem.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 11:02 AM

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 if at least one of the following is true:

You are applying for your first U.S. passport
You are under age 16
Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If any of those apply, there is an agent acceptance fee. I think that is relatively new but important to note.

The photo fees have also increased. We paid $15 each at Walgreens last year.

Doing the whole cross with IDs and birth certificates is becoming more and more difficult. You're looking at a lengthy stay in secondary, most likely.

Also, without a passport, you cannot get the necessary FM-T to be in Mexico legally, so there's that.

JoeJustJoe - 7-25-2019 at 11:34 AM

Bajafam, if you look at my original post I was mainly talking about getting a passport and passport card when you renew and it's real easy online provided you qualify and you do not need a trip to the post office or to pay an agent.

I did my passport/ passport renew about 2 years ago, when Walgreens charged only $10 dollars, now if $15 dollars is going to set someone back.

You can always take your own your passport photo with your iOS/Android phone, and the State department has a free photo cropping tool on it's website, and there is an app for Passport Photo Booth, and it's free!

If I'm making a brief Baja trip, I usually do it has a pedestrians, and for years, I have seen US Customs, just wave people through when they are armed with only a Driver's license and birth certificate, despite the fact the requirements changed many years ago that said a passport was required.

The only people who get sent to secondary seem to be people they would send to secondary regardless if they are carrying a passport or not. Once in a blue moon would I hear a customs official tell a US citizen to get a passport the next time.

You don't want to get me started on the FMM tourist card, especially for quick trips by car over the border.

Bajazly - 7-25-2019 at 12:32 PM

I gotta say, if one can't afford the doc fees for international travel, about $25 a year PP for 10 years, maybe they shouldn't be traveling internationally. The doc fees are a drop in the bucket compared to what it will cost to travel abroad.

If you're dirt bagging in Mexico, then you are saving a bunch of money there, so.... There is a cost for everything in life and traveling internationally is not some god given right.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 12:38 PM

I was under the impression that this post was to inform those who are new to getting the passport book v. card as well, and in that case, the fees are different.

Again, $15 might not seem like a lot, but someone on a fixed income, it is. Let's be frank. There are a lot of retired folks on here, and more families than you might think, and money is tight. The card is definitely the way to go if you're on a fixed/tight income and only traveling by vehicle in North America or by boat to the other countries in the Caribbean.

Secondary is a thread all its own. Whom do you see as being "sent to secondary regardless?" We've been sent on numerous occasions for seemingly insignificant reasons throughout the years. In fact, when we prepare to be sent there, we're waved through, when we feel we're cool, we're flagged. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason either way.

SFandH - 7-25-2019 at 01:44 PM

You can also renew at the US Consulate in TJ if it's more convenient (north baja residents).

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/how-to-renew-a...

del mar - 7-25-2019 at 02:05 PM

I was under the impression that this post was to inform those who are new to getting the passport book v. card as well, and in that case, the fees are different.

Again, $15 might not seem like a lot, but someone on a fixed income, it is. Let's be frank. There are a lot of retired folks on here, and more families than you might think, and money is tight. The card is definitely the way to go if you're on a fixed/tight income and only traveling by vehicle in the N/S Americas or by boat to the other countries in the Caribbean.

Secondary is a thread all its own. Whom do you see as being "sent to secondary regardless?" We've been sent on numerous occasions for seemingly insignificant reasons throughout the years. In fact, when we prepare to be sent there, we're waved through, when we feel we're cool, we're flagged. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason either way.

one more thing about the passport card....past 50 miles into the country you're traveling its not valid as a passport. this from a previous post.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

one more thing about the passport card....past 50 miles into the country you're traveling its not valid as a passport. this from a previous post.

where is the citation of this?

del mar - 7-25-2019 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

where is the citation of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Passport_Card

good for 100kilometers into mexico (about 62 miles)

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 02:20 PM

Interesting that it says nothing on the passports.state.gov site about that. Not sure I'd put all my ducks in a wiki basket.

del mar - 7-25-2019 at 02:36 PM

Interesting that it says nothing on the passports.state.gov site about that. Not sure I'd put all my ducks in a wiki basket.

this from SpecialK a few months ago.......

"Did you guys read the Mexican government link? It says a passport card is only good for visiting the border zone areas and not for the interior of then republic! You must get a passport book!"

Here is a copy from that site:

The applicant is aware that the card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) can only be used in the border crossings by land and for visiting the border zone; it might not be used to travel to the territory of the Mexican Republic or used for international air trips.

believe what you will.......:coolup:

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by del mar]

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 02:55 PM

Well, if that is true (and I wouldn't want to find out the hard way) that's a big ol CON of the card. It's basically worthless unless you're just hanging out in northern Baja.

JoeJustJoe - 7-25-2019 at 03:00 PM

I thought it was pretty well known the passport card, can not be used for international travel, and it's basically only good for land border crossings or ports-of-entry by sea.

If your travelers are on fixed incomes like you say, and are basically only going to travel by car to Mexico, or even Canada, then I guess the passport card is a good option for them.

However, personally, I would tell them to save their recycled cans, soda and beer bottles, and just get the passport, if it's going to come down to one choice between a passport v passport card.

And again when it comes renewal time, get both, because it's a good deal at $140 dollars and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

bajafam - 7-25-2019 at 03:04 PM

Fixed income doesn't necessarily mean poor. I was referring to people who are no longer working and living on retirement or ...

Personally, if it's only good 50-100 sob, it's worthless to us. But maybe some folks just hang out in Northern Baja?

I'd rather buy tacos with the $120+ bucks we'll save by skipping the card.

del mar - 7-25-2019 at 03:23 PM

don't know....got mine 8 or 9 years ago when folks were scrambling to get em just to use the ready lanes, back when they were a real time saver, anymore everyone's got one and its time to make the ready lanes and the regular lanes the same.

David K - 7-25-2019 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Doesn't the passport book with the camera logo on it also RFID to be used in the Ready Lane?

No answers on this question from anyone?

SFandH - 7-25-2019 at 03:54 PM

New passport books do not work in ready lane, you need a card.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3678/~/ready-la...

[Edited on 7-25-2019 by SFandH]

David K - 7-25-2019 at 05:33 PM

So, that camera logo in the book cover doesn't signify anything different from our older passports?

Wait, here's what Wiki says... it is called a Biometric Passport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

Here's what CBP says you need for Ready Lane: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/ready-lanes

Guess they don't do the same thing... Well, I have both!

unbob - 7-25-2019 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
If you have a regular passport no need for a card.
Not true. My recently renewed US driver's license has no photo - so obviously cannot be used for ID. Thus, I need the passport card for that purpose.

SFandH - 7-25-2019 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
If you have a regular passport no need for a card.
Not true. My recently renewed US driver's license has no photo - so obviously cannot be used for ID. Thus, I need the passport card for that purpose.

And the book doesn't work in the Ready Lanes at the border.