BajaNomad

Does anyone recognize this beach?

Nikno - 8-10-2019 at 02:38 PM

I found this picture on a blog about coastal conservation. The caption states that it is called "Bahia El Huatamote" and that it is on the west coast of Valle de los Cirios. That would imply somewhere between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro.

Here is a link to the article with some other beautiful photos:

https://blogcostasalvaje.com/category/valle-de-los-cirios/

Who recognizes this beach? I can't find anything by that name nor are there many bays on the Pacific coast that have this shape. The closest I have come up with is Punta Cono.

There is a town near Loreto called Huatamote but that is not near the coast nor in Valle de los Cirios. And there is a river just south of San Felipe called Huatamote, but again it can't be near there.

Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg - 97kB

JZ - 8-10-2019 at 02:42 PM

Looks like somewhere in the seven sisters.

KurtG - 8-10-2019 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Looks like somewhere in the seven sisters.

It is, I have a pic from that same spot but no notes or memory of exactly where.

David K - 8-10-2019 at 03:19 PM

Seems like everyone who drives along the distant Pacific ( Seven Sisters) coastal road takes a photo there! It could be yet another documentation point showing if the sea level changed?

SFandH - 8-10-2019 at 03:49 PM

Yup, the above photo shows precisely the level of the sea. :lol:

BooJumMan - 8-10-2019 at 04:01 PM

Spent many weeks there growing up... It is indeed called El Huatamote by the local fishermen.

David K - 8-10-2019 at 04:01 PM

No silly, a noticeable change... not a measurement. Having a palm tree next to the high tide line (and no waves) would help! LOL

2017, was pretty gloomy in April:

2007, in July:

David K - 8-10-2019 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Spent many weeks there growing up... It is indeed called El Huatamote by the local fishermen.

Nice to know.
On the 2009 Baja Almanac, Map 7, it is between Bahía Córbin and Punta Vibora (between Faro San José and Punta Blanco).
On my map, it is just north of where the road from Laguna Chapala meets the coast road...

BajaRat - 8-10-2019 at 04:40 PM

It’s the Eighth Sister Shhhhhhh
Lionel :cool:

4x4abc - 8-10-2019 at 05:31 PM

here is El Guatamote
remember that "G" in Spanish is pronounced like our "H"

Guatamote.jpg - 157kB

SFandH - 8-10-2019 at 05:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
here is El Guatamote

¿hay gansos en la playa?

There are exceptions to every rule, except, perhaps, the one just stated.

:?:

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by SFandH]

Nikno - 8-10-2019 at 05:53 PM

Thank you for all of the help! I found the exact location on Google Earth thanks to your tips. I will be doing this drive in the fall. I'll get my own pic from there and post a trip report.

Harald, what map program are you using? I've never seen that format before.

larryC - 8-10-2019 at 05:58 PM

That cove is north of punta Marron and south of punta Lobos. Good clamming and surf fishing there. Good fishing at the south end off the rocks also.

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by larryC]

JZ - 8-10-2019 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
here is El Guatamote

I just had it labelled as "beach" on my maps. Fixed it up.

29° 8.088'N 114° 43.440'W

Edit: this is the correct location: 29° 12.769'N 114° 48.138'W

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by JZ]

David K - 8-10-2019 at 06:27 PM

Harald, I think your map is of the beach further south where you go over a salt flat or around it... as your map shows. The beach in the photos is a bay, notice the curve out to the point to the south.

Nikno - 8-10-2019 at 06:54 PM

Based on satellite imagery the beach at

29°14'26.7"N 114°50'05.3"W

makes most sense to me. David K's second pic shows a fishing camp which is visible on satellite. I think the original photo might be mislabeled. The coordinates that JZ posted and the map Harald posted are of "El Guatamote" but this one is a few bays further north.

David K, any geo tags/gps coordinates embedded in your original pic?

caj13 - 8-10-2019 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
No silly, a noticeable change... not a measurement. Having a palm tree next to the high tide line (and no waves) would help! LOL

2017, was pretty gloomy in April:

2007, in July:

Bahahahahaaaa! hey look at that - David says his observations are superior to actual measurements, because his eyes and memory are far better than Nasa and Noah technologies! how quaint - but it does make it easier for you to deny the facts and truth - right David!

so - like always: Dates , Times, and a tide table David! You know the drill, you spout, people hold you accountable, you fall back into your "poor me prosecuted by evil liberals" routine!

heres some more of that claptrap spouted by a bunch of governmen t scientists, all of whom are in on the conspiracy -

Of course it's based on real measurements, so obviously its wrong!
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

Oh , one more thing - watch how David will accuse me of changing the subject - because clearly - He DID NOT bring up sea level change in this thread! Bahahahahaahaaaa

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by caj13]

4x4abc - 8-10-2019 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
Thank you for all of the help! I found the exact location on Google Earth thanks to your tips. I will be doing this drive in the fall. I'll get my own pic from there and post a trip report.

Harald, what map program are you using? I've never seen that format before.

http://internet.contenidos.inegi.org.mx/contenidos/Productos...

JZ - 8-10-2019 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Bahahahahaaaa! hey look at that - David says his observations are superior to actual measurements, because his eyes and memory are far better than Nasa and Noah technologies! how quaint - but it does make it easier for you to deny the facts and truth - right David!

so - like always: Dates , Times, and a tide table David! You know the drill, you spout, people hold you accountable, you fall back into your "poor me prosecuted by evil liberals" routine!

heres some more of that claptrap spouted by a bunch of governmen t scientists, all of whom are in on the conspiracy -

Of course it's based on real measurements, so obviously its wrong!
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

Oh , one more thing - watch how David will accuse me of changing the subject - because clearly - He DID NOT bring up sea level change in this thread! Bahahahahaahaaaa

It was a joke, this is not the thread for this nonsense. Tell us about your travels to the Seven Sisters, share a few pics maybe?

AKgringo - 8-10-2019 at 08:49 PM

caj13, You apparently missed this post by SF&H, who teased DK a bit!
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Then David teased back with the palm tree quip, ending with lol (laugh out loud).

Are you going to follow David from thread to thread looking for something to pounce on? I don't like everything David posts, but I choose to groan and ignore some of them, rather than turn another thread into an off topic debate! The JJJ school of journalism has moved somewhere else!

DK, you don't need to reply to every post either

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by AKgringo]

caj13 - 8-10-2019 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
caj13, You apparently missed this post by SF&H, who teased DK a bit!
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Then David teased back with the palm tree quip, ending with lol (laugh out loud).

Are you going to follow David from thread to thread looking for something to pounce on? I don't like everything David posts, but I choose to groan and ignore some of them, rather than turn another thread into an off topic debate! The JJJ school of journalism has moved somewhere else!

DK, you don't need to reply to every post either

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by AKgringo]

Go back and review, 2 posts with escalating content by David, including the idiotic - observation, not measurement nonsense.

sorry if i hold people accountable for their posts, including myself.
and I do admit I was wrong about one thing, I thought it would be David who tried to blame me, I was obviously wrong there!

RocketJSquirrel - 8-11-2019 at 08:26 AM

People who feel the need to hold others accountable (consider themselves God?) - are almost always the ones who eventually get caught with their pants down. Good luck, caj13. We'll chuckle when we see the perp walk...

David K - 8-11-2019 at 08:37 AM

Based on satellite imagery the beach at

29°14'26.7"N 114°50'05.3"W

makes most sense to me. David K's second pic shows a fishing camp which is visible on satellite. I think the original photo might be mislabeled. The coordinates that JZ posted and the map Harald posted are of "El Guatamote" but this one is a few bays further north.

David K, any geo tags/gps coordinates embedded in your original pic?

Good morning!
The GPS waypoint you posted is Bahía Córbin, 5.6 road miles south of Faro San José (small island just offshore). I camped there on my last trip along that coast (Apr. 2017):

'Playa el Cuchillo' is painted on this container at Córbin.

The beach shown in the first photos (the ones in discussion) is south of Córbin. I photographed it the next day.

I think this is where the photos in question were taken: 29° 12.768'N, 114° 48.143'W

There is another place almost identical just south. I thought maybe that was what Harald's map was showing? [Edit: Harald does have the correct place mapped, where the photos were taken.]

Here are places mentioned and Nikno's GPS point. The Photo spot does not have a name on the Almanac. >>>

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by David K]

David K - 8-11-2019 at 08:45 AM

After seeing the link Harald posted to the Inegi map, yes his close up map is correct, it is the place the maps labels as El Guatamote. Interestingly, the Inegi map calls the point at Bahía Córbin "Punta el Cuchillo" the name painted on the container there. Just Playa (beach) instead of Punta.

Nikno - 8-12-2019 at 10:15 AM

Thank you for the detailed map David K and thank you to the other Nomads who helped.

I'm looking forward to exploring that part of the coast this fall and will post some new pictures when I'm back!

David K - 8-12-2019 at 10:57 AM

Thank you for the detailed map David K and thank you to the other Nomads who helped.

I'm looking forward to exploring that part of the coast this fall and will post some new pictures when I'm back!

Great! I invite you to print out the pages of my guide shared on Nomad (Part 3) that include the 7 Sisters roads and see if you find the conditions similar.
Thank you!
PS You can also u2u me for that part in a pdf.
The guide is designed to be continually updated with your feedback.