BajaNomad

suggestions on how to insure truck,camper and tow

BajaKeela - 8-17-2019 at 09:25 AM

Need some ideas on how to insure ... Travelling with truck and camper towing a chev tracker and will obviously drive tracker disconnected most of winter First time towing so I want to make sure I'm legal . Leaving 1st week in Oct and crossing into Baja 3rd week.. I plan on being in Baja till mid April.
I would appreciate knowing how others insure ..Thanks ..Always a wealth of info on this forum.

David K - 8-17-2019 at 09:39 AM

www.bajabound.com
(see the banner ad at the top of the page)

Don Jorge - 8-17-2019 at 10:57 AM

We use Bajabound for a similar setup. Easy to use web page and friendly, helpful people in their San Diego office.

If you are referring to a truck bed mounted camper there is no insurance for those. Since they come with no title, ours did not, and thus no registration, there is no way for the insurers to issue a policy. At least that is what we have been told.

Everything else can be insured while being towed and or driven.
Have a safe, fun trip.

BajaKeela - 8-17-2019 at 11:06 AM

Thank you so much ..I was in Baja last winter but only with truck and camper so wasn't sure if I needed two separate policies when disconnecting .I'll call BajaBound and have all clarified . I'm looking forward to going back again. My husband and I spent 15 winters in Baja ..but now travelling solo with different set-up..hence my queries.

surfhat - 8-17-2019 at 04:37 PM

A possible way to insure your camper et al, is to hire an automotive appraiser.

I did this for my Sprinter van earlier this year. I have added many thousands$ to the minimal value that the Kelly Blue Book would give for an empty tin can if the worst ever happens.

When I insured it with Baja Bound for a winter whale magic trip this year, Baja Bound forwarded the info to them.

The reps for the appraiser came to my home, took many pictures of all that I have added with dollar values [none of my labor, but that is ok with me] for each item. The photos they took prove the increase is credible.

I gave this document to Baja Bound and they forwarded it to their Mexican insurance partners. My van is now covered for three times what an empty van would be appraised at.

I did the same for my US insurance company and my rate went up so little it is insignificant, and so worth it.

Most every city or region has an official state licensed auto appraiser that can help you be covered if the worst happens.

Happy travels. Don't drive at night!

BajaKeela - 8-17-2019 at 10:09 PM

Good info ...Thanks Surfhat At my age only an emergency would make me drive at night