BajaNomad

Im out

Bajazly - 8-18-2019 at 09:05 AM

Last Friday, the 9th, the sale of my house closed and on Saturday, I drove away for the last time from the house I have lived in for 28 1/2 years, homeless. That afternoon I finished up some stuff I needed to do, loaded the Tacoma with some things that needed to go south and hit the road about 9 pm.

After I stopped in El Cajon Sunday morning to drop some stuff off I headed east to El centro. Got a hotel room that afternoon and hung out at the pool dreading Monday. The truck I had packed on Friday with all my stuff in was supposed to show up at about 8 or 11:30, whatever, so I could unload it into a storage place I got there.

By 11am it was tickling 100 plus degrees, ack!! I’m guessing because it’s so close to the border there, Home Depoters aren’t a thing, and they aren’t. A call to People Ready had me two guys in less than 45 minutes and they came to me. It was a 4 hour minimum at $25/hr per guy but that could have been the best $200 for 2 1/2 hours work I’ve spent in a long time.

I had to head back to El Cajon to do some banking crap and decided trying to get back to Mexicali to cross was pushing it so I got my ex to put up a homeless guy for a night. Her and her novio and I had a nice dinner of $3.75 ea tacos on me for the trouble and on Tuesday morning after using her printer for a while, I headed east to cross at Mexicali and head down to San Felipe.

I drove thru the border with a smile and a wave with my outboard in the bed under a basket I have mounted and in front of a giant cooler I had strapped down on its side and open. Nothing to see here, just an empty cooler coming thru and it was off for tacos at 23 miles south on 5. Got into San Felipe about 4 and my contractor had already closed for the day.

I figured since it was on the way into town I may as well stop and see the progress on my “taller“ and I was pleasantly surprised seeing how they had asked me for money and I said I wouldn't be there for a week but they should just keep going, and they did. Pretty nice flat smooth and level slab with about 3 feet of walls all around.

After checking things out I headed into town to my favorite hotel and proceeded to turn the AC as low as it would go and had a few beers. I won’t lie, it is hot as balls here right now but I’ve been making myself be out in it to try and get used to it. Yes it will suck for a few months a year but I’m pretty sure it will suit me pretty well.

So that’s it, sold my business, sold my house, packed up my house and shop and headed to Baja. The shop container should be here in a month, maybe less, just before the shop gets done and I can figure out how to get 54,000 lbs of stuff out of the container and into the shop. By October or November the shop should be in full swing and the house being built off the eastern side just about complete.

Let the new chapter begin now. If you’re ever in or thru San Felipe, don’t be shy. Drop me a line and stop in for some tacos and beers. For anyone interested, i have adventuresofbaja on Instagram and I’m going to try and keep that pretty updated with all kinds of stuff I’m doing all over Baja.

A side note, if anyone needs a fishing partner, I have gear to 100 lb, will travel and split expenses.

Cheers

BajaParrothead - 8-18-2019 at 09:34 AM

Good for you!! Sounds like you're free from the SoCal rat race and living your dream! Enjoy and don't look back!

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by BajaParrothead]

larryC - 8-18-2019 at 09:39 AM

Good for you, I did the same 20 years ago (only to BoLA) and have never regretted it. I spend summers up in San Diego cause it gets too hot in BoLA, but you probably have town power and can run AC. I don't have that luxury. Enjoy!

David K - 8-18-2019 at 09:41 AM

Best of luck to you!
There is a lot of folks on the San Felipe Chatter Facebook page as well as the South Campos Facebook page for you to connect with. I imagine there are more Facebook.

What is your shop into producing? Will you be in business or just hobby stuff?

AKgringo - 8-18-2019 at 09:51 AM

Congratulations, and I intend to check in with you when I am able to head south again! I have a plan to get at least a part time residence in Baja, and the sale of my home in Anchorage should allow me to afford at least a modest home.

One advantage I have over you, is that the pile of things I couldn't bear to part with (yet) could be hauled in a full size pick up! I don't even have fishing gear anymore, I will get what I need, if and when I need it.

I can't handle the heat where I am in northern CA right now, so I will be looking in places like Bahia Asuncion, so I may soon be able to offer you a cooler get away spot.

Paco Facullo - 8-18-2019 at 10:30 AM

Starting a new chapter in you're life is an exciting time.

Hope all goes great for you in your new life.....

chippy - 8-18-2019 at 10:53 AM

Congrats! It´s nice to be free of that overpriced, overtaxed and overcrowded state. I sold last May.

¿Taller de que?

[Edited on 8-18-2019 by chippy]

shari - 8-18-2019 at 10:58 AM

good for you!!! now you are IN...not out! Welcome to the club.

mjs - 8-18-2019 at 11:32 AM

Welcome to San Felipe.

We're south of town in the South Campos. Mostly full time although we do like to travel (currently in WI heading towards Canada). Be happy to buy you a beer when we get back sometime next month.

BajaRun - 8-18-2019 at 11:33 AM

This is why I joined Baja Nomad. People like this with a good attitude and loving life.

Cheers Amigo. And happy adventures !

BornFisher - 8-18-2019 at 11:44 AM

Hope your Baja wishes and dreams come true. CONGRATS!!!!

4x4abc - 8-18-2019 at 11:51 AM

what kind of shop will you have?

JZ - 8-18-2019 at 01:10 PM

Huge congrats my man. But keep heading South.

I can't get through SF fast enough

Loreto and La Paz are the best of Baja. Especially if you like the water and the best offroad trails.

SF is a MX party town and a weekend destination for American desert rats.

mjs - 8-18-2019 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Huge congrats my man. But keep heading South.

I can't get through SF fast enough

Loreto and La Paz are the best of Baja. Especially if you like the water and the best offroad trails.

SF is a MX party town and a weekend destination for American desert rats.

Can be busy in town on a race weekend but doesn't affect us unless we want it to, i.e. going into town to join the festivities. Santa Semana is probably the busiest but that's only one week.

After going to Baja for over 30 years we never thought we'd end up here. But we did and for many reasons we're really happy here. Only downside is the endless miles of whooped out sand when on a dirt bike.

Agree that Loreto and many other parts of Baja are nice. However the considerations for a full time residence and a vacation are not necessarily the same. Probably not the same from one person to the next either. We lived in a very nice house on the water in Ventura for many years. We're over that. For now, living in SF suits us perfectly. In 10 years, who knows?

JMHO YMMV

JZ - 8-18-2019 at 03:42 PM

The ocean and beaches are just awful in SF.

No coves, 1/4 mile tides. No mountains along the coast.

Go South ppl.

AKgringo - 8-18-2019 at 03:49 PM

I hear what you say JZ, and would add Mulege to the list of gulf side choices. Having said that, I know I would find things to like about San Felipe if I spent any time around there!

I have considered looking for a dentist around there to justify making Baja runs. I have one I really like in La Paz, but S.F. is so much closer for a quick trip.

Whale-ista - 8-18-2019 at 03:55 PM

Felicidades!

I admire your sense of adventure. Moving to a new place is challenging. Moving to a new country with a new language is a few levels up.

Please continue posting and sharing your progress on the taller y casa.

bajabuddha - 8-18-2019 at 04:10 PM

Gawdfries, Jizzy...... shut up already. We all get it, you hate San Flip. Ergo, DON'T GO THERE. STAY AWAY. GO SOUTH (preferably Honduras).

Leave people alone, your taste is all in your own mouth... people can choose for themselves. :P

To the OP Bajazly, more power to you. Been there, done it twice; sold out the home and business(es), took my RV and headed out with nothing and nowhere planned, let life find me and vice versa. It's a very exhilarating experience. Word of advice; DOWN-SIZE. The more you think you own the more all your 'stuff' owns you.

Enjoy your new adventure. I highly recommend it. :coolup:

chippy - 8-18-2019 at 05:11 PM

Please JZ STFU with your endless bashing of SF. You don´t like it. We get it. ¡YA BASTA!

Lee - 8-18-2019 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Gawdfries, Jizzy...... shut up already. We all get it, you hate San Flip. Ergo, DON'T GO THERE. STAY AWAY. GO SOUTH (preferably Honduras).

Leave people alone, your taste is all in your own mouth... people can choose for themselves. :P

Two different kinds of people. BCN for convenience NOB. Still MX.

Like JZ, Baja doesn't start for me until I'm in GN for the night, heading South. It's MX too and I love it there.

I have an opinion about SF but keeping it to myself. Just not a big deal. JZ is entitled to his strong opinion. Don't think this stuff is personal.

Bajazly? Congrats on moving forward. Nice to see another adventurer heading South with a dream. The best in your travels. Cheers.

David K - 8-18-2019 at 05:42 PM

I have seen most of the areas of Baja that people like to go to. My favorite beach is about 20 miles from San Felipe. There are other great beaches in Baja and they can be very different.
The reason I like my beach so much is that it is:

*All sand and shells.
*Virtually nobody is ever there, 4WD needed to get to.
*It is disconnected from the rest of Baja at the highest tides.
*It is within a day's drive from my home.
*The sea is very warm in the summer.
*There are two beaches with different water conditions (lagoon side and open sea side)

Now, there are plenty of other great beaches I like to camp at... but they don't offer all the same features that my Shell Island has...
Gonzaga Bay
Bahia San Rafael
Punta San Francisquito
Bahia Concepcion (El Requeson and La Perla)
San Roque
Playas Pacificas (La Aguja)

Where does the "Real Baja" start?

thebajarunner - 8-18-2019 at 06:24 PM

For me just crossing the line is a great lift to my spirits

Ten miles south of Los Pinos Pemex it really kicks in

SF? Not my favorite, but sure had some good times and great shrimp meals there.

To each his own, get me across the line and I am "Back Home Again in Indiana.....errrrrr Baja"

bajatrailrider - 8-18-2019 at 06:58 PM

Best of luck best thing you could do get out of CA. Also JZ the best trails are not south . Too hot JAJA

JZ - 8-18-2019 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Best of luck best thing you could do get out of CA. Also JZ the best trails are not south . Too hot JAJA

I like your area on the West coast of BCN. The East coast of BCN above Gonzaga, not so much.

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by JZ]

Bajazly - 8-18-2019 at 10:51 PM

Wow, thanks for all the support here. I am both ecstatic and terrified but the later is going away quickly. I just spent my first almost week there and came back across tonight to do my Global Entry interview tomorrow.... then i think I’ll go back.

Found a house, goofy as all but cheap and furnished and comes with a house keeper, the owner who is a widow and moving out to her kids place in town so I can move in. Think she saw a good op to make a little money and I’m glad to help her, very sweet lady.

I get the San Felipe heat and sucky beaches and all but there is not a stop light with in a hundred miles, still has a small town feel and the proximity to the boarder and Mexicali is good for me. I like it further down the peninsula but it takes more effort to get stuff to and from further down.

That being said, my shop will be mostly metal working/machining type of stuff. I’ll have a small Waterjet, a couple mills, a lathe, drill press, tig and mig welding a car lift and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. Not really doing business but I know word will get out and well, I’ll have some projects. Supporting the race crowd or the breakdown crowd when close or whatever plus some artish type stuff or whatever pops into my head is what it’s all about.

I do plan on getting around the peninsula and even to mainland quite a bit but like I say, if you’re near or coming thu, don’t be shy. If I’m in town all are welcome to come on by. I plan on doing a little fire sculpture landscaping and will definitely have a big fire pit for the cooler nights.

Thanks for the good words and support, here’s to the next chapter starting and I look forward to seeing any and all of you at some point at Castillo de Bozly.

greengoes - 8-19-2019 at 06:32 AM

Living the dream....going to Mexico and starting a business.

Buenas suerte.

bajatrailrider - 8-19-2019 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I like your area on the West coast of BCN. The East coast of BCN above Gonzaga, not so much. ........ I'm still waiting for you to show up . I have incredible trails . That little will ever see if single track and 50 year abandoned road is your thing. I will plan a trip South with you sounds like fun

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by JZ]

BajaBlanca - 8-19-2019 at 12:00 PM

Good for you! Moving is hard and eventually, you will find your place somewhere in Baja. Might well be san felipe, but might well be elsewhere too! We have seen so many folks start in one place and later, change.

suerte!

BajaBlanca - 8-19-2019 at 12:04 PM

Good for you! Moving is hard and eventually, you will find your place somewhere in Baja. Might well be san felipe, but might well be elsewhere too! We have seen so many folks start in one place and later, change.

suerte!

bajatrailrider - 8-19-2019 at 12:08 PM

Second on that what ever makes you happy.

bajatrailrider - 8-19-2019 at 12:12 PM

A little advice don't over build or buy. As real estate not like USA. Difficult to sell most always a loss. Business in Mexico not like USA. For me I make most money not doing business here.;)

sancho - 8-19-2019 at 12:44 PM

For me I make most money not doing business here.;)

A you tube RV guy had a couple welds done on his MH
in GN recently, Mex welder charged him $10 dlls. Here in
OC, I don't think you could get a guy to consider even the
smallest of welds for $200. I guess it is more than obvious
to fly under the radar. Not sure SF deserves the bashing,
would be nice to bulldoze the crumbling bldgs, eliminate
the trash. No one
ever considered it quaint. Good luck with your endeavor

[Edited on 8-19-2019 by sancho]

Bajaboy - 8-19-2019 at 03:21 PM

Congrats on retirement! Not too sure why people are crapping on your decision to move to San Felipe...it's your decision not theirs.

Zac

Paco Facullo - 8-19-2019 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Congrats on retirement! Not too sure why people are crapping on your decision to move to San Felipe...it's your decision not theirs.

Zac

Exactly. Kinda like oysters, you either LOVE them or Hate um....

Marc - 8-20-2019 at 11:36 AM

Good for you! I waited until I was 75. I should have quit while still relatively young. Still healthy so I can't complain.

Bajazly - 8-20-2019 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Zac

Yeah doesn’t bother me and they are only expressing what they do and don’t like. To each his own and I may find this wasn’t the best place but I have some friends here and making more all the time. I do plan on getting around quite a bit so soon I should have friends in further reaching places in Mexico. Always good to be able to show up somewhere and know some local folks.

Did my Global Entry interview yesterday and what didn’t start out so good ended in you should receive your card in about 5 to 7 days and remember when you renew your passport in 2 years if you are in Mexico full time tell them to change the GE card. Sounds pretty positive to me but i hope I won’t need to use it very often.

Again, thanks for the well wishes and kind words. Blanca and Shari, it won’t be long before I show up on your doorsteps, ABC, might take a little longer to get back to La Paz but I will be there sooner rather than later. Russ, it’s been 27 years since I’ve been in PC, love to see what it’s like now.

I move into my goofy little rental house tomorrow for 4 or 5 months and I’m pretty stoked about that. Welcome to the neighborhood house warming parties to ensue for sure.

Oh, and it’s not retirement per se, it’s doing something different but I haven’t figured out what the different is yet but a little time should help define that sooner of later.