BajaNomad

have your passport handy

del mar - 8-21-2019 at 12:46 PM

word is at the TJ toll booth IMN is stopping norte americans wanting to see passports.....no mention of FMM's

55steve - 8-21-2019 at 01:23 PM

No problem - my card is in my pocket and passbook in my luggage.

David K - 8-21-2019 at 01:23 PM

Great! :light:

sancho - 8-21-2019 at 01:23 PM

Have read there are many who cross over and back with just
a DL, besides Mex Imm saying get a passport/card next time,
not sure what the reprocussion would be

Marc - 8-21-2019 at 01:24 PM

Does not make sense.

del mar - 8-21-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Have read there are many who cross over and back with just
a DL, besides Mex Imm saying get a passport/card next time,
not sure what the reprocussion would be

the facebook poster was detained for an hour attempting to get by with ca drivers license......

David K - 8-21-2019 at 02:03 PM

I wonder if it was the new Real ID Calif drivers license (which requires the documents needed for a passport and more!)?

I just renewed my CDL and it is the new Real ID one. Had to have my passport, birth certificate, a utility bill, and my social security card to get!

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 02:15 PM

Ah chit, the last thing I want is more cops stopping me to check my "papers".

More lines of traffic to sit in and go nowhere.

AKgringo - 8-21-2019 at 02:22 PM

Imagine for a minute that the passport the INM agent is checking is one that you bought from one of the sites that sometimes pop up here advertising fake IDs.

That would test your sphincter control! :o

[Edited on 8-21-2019 by AKgringo]

Charlie Nichols - 8-21-2019 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I wonder if it was the new Real ID Calif drivers license (which requires the documents needed for a passport and more!)?

I just renewed my CDL and it is the new Real ID one. Had to have my passport, birth certificate, a utility bill, and my social security card to get!

Really? I don't have a single utility bill that is in my name. Everything is in the wife's name...the other stuff isn't a problem, but WTF would a utility bill have to do with in regards to a damn drivers license?

Govt f*ckery at its finest..

David K - 8-21-2019 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Charlie Nichols  

Really? I don't have a single utility bill that is in my name. Everything is in the wife's name...the other stuff isn't a problem, but WTF would a utility bill have to do with in regards to a damn drivers license?

To prove you are living where you say you are. Mexico does the same thing, I have heard.

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 03:19 PM

Why would you think more inspections by the authorities is "great"? At best, it's a nuisance.

[Edited on 8-21-2019 by SFandH]

chippy - 8-21-2019 at 03:20 PM

Thats funny:lol:. Gringolandia is becoming more like Mexico. In Mexico you have to have a comprobante de domicilio/utility bill to do anything oficial.

[Edited on 8-21-2019 by chippy]

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 03:22 PM

Got a scanner and some graphics editing software? I'll make you a utility bill.

David K - 8-21-2019 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Why would you think more inspections by the authorities is "great"? At best, it's a nuisance.

Great because it shows Mexico has independence and laws that they are enforcing.

I don't go to Mexico because their laws are not enforced or because there is less government. If I am going to all the trouble and cost to have a passport for Mexico, then I am happy to actually see that I do need it... and it can even get it stamped!

Now, as to things like a tourist card charge, having grown up in a time when the 180-day tourist card was free (the 1960s to mid-2000), I don't like that they charge for them now. Not because I am a cheap guy but because it hurts the citizens of Baja and the money doesn't go to anything in Baja that helps them. When you tax tourism, you reduce it. Reducing tourism hurts a lot of people in Baja. The free 7-day FMM was a big help to tourist businesses in northern Baja and long overdue.

TMW - 8-21-2019 at 03:35 PM

If your wife has the same last name I don't think it's a problem or have her go with you.

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 03:40 PM

Great because it shows Mexico has independence and laws that they are enforcing.

What planet are you from? Let me get this straight. You like waiting in lines to get questioned by cops?

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 05:58 PM

The photo in the original post is not the toll road. This could all be fake news.

mtgoat666 - 8-21-2019 at 06:02 PM

You just need a couple bills or bank statements or the like to prove ca residency. In your case, if you are an imbecile, ward of the court, incompetent or pussy whipped, perhaps your guardian/mom/wife can go with you to dmv and provide proof of your california residency.

del mar - 8-21-2019 at 06:07 PM

The photo in the original post is not the toll road. This could all be fake news.

care to make a wager?

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 06:09 PM

sure

del mar - 8-21-2019 at 06:11 PM

sure

wanna meet me there in 15 minutes?

with C-note?

[Edited on 8-22-2019 by del mar]

SFandH - 8-21-2019 at 06:18 PM

nope, you win, using google maps I see where it is - just north of the toll booth, east side

[Edited on 8-22-2019 by SFandH]

BajaMama - 8-22-2019 at 10:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

If your wife has the same last name I don't think it's a problem or have her go with you.

Your voter's registration card works just fine, or your mortgage statements, or bank statement. Just two documents with your name on it and your current address.

BajaMama - 8-22-2019 at 10:51 AM

Break the law, take the penalty.

RocketJSquirrel - 8-23-2019 at 04:36 PM

I drove through - both directions - on 8/22. No one asked for anything.

David K - 8-23-2019 at 06:11 PM

The INM checks pop up randomly. I have never been stopped to show my FMM during all the trips the past few years. I think 2012 may have been the last time they were looked at, at the state border near Guerrero Negro... Where there was an INM stop since 2001, at least.

mtgoat666 - 8-23-2019 at 09:14 PM

The INM checks pop up randomly. I have never been stopped to show my FMM during all the trips the past few years. I think 2012 may have been the last time they were looked at, at the state border near Guerrero Negro... Where there was an INM stop since 2001, at least.

They often ask to see fmm at airports.

What numb nut don’t carry an fmm? Never occurred to me to not get one, since they are required by law

Pacifico - 8-23-2019 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

They often ask to see fmm at airports.

What numb nut don’t carry an fmm? Never occurred to me to not get one, since they are required by law

JJJ

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 11:04 AM

It's not quite that hard.

You don't need a birth certificate or SS card.

This would be the easiest:

- passport
- W2, paystub, 1099, or other common doc with you SSN on it
- utility bill or the like to show residency

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by JZ]

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 11:11 AM

There are literally about 20 different documents you could use. Just something with your name on it and your address. Car registration for example.

https://realid.dmv.ca.gov/your-real-id-checklist/

thebajarunner - 8-24-2019 at 11:56 AM

The real id cards issued by CalDMV are a joke

Just get a passport card, tuck it in your wallet
You are good to go, anywhere/ any time

It also puts you into Ready Lane (but not Sentri)

For those of us that live 500 miles from the border, yet cross half dozen times a year, the mandate to only get Sentri at the Otay office is a real pain in the butt....

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
The real id cards issued by CalDMV are a joke

Just get a passport card, tuck it in your wallet
You are good to go, anywhere/ any time

It also puts you into Ready Lane (but not Sentri)

For those of us that live 500 miles from the border, yet cross half dozen times a year, the mandate to only get Sentri at the Otay office is a real pain in the butt....

I have Sentri. Real ID was free to me since I had to renew my ID this year. No need to carry around a DL and a PP card.

So, in sum, no joke.

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2019 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Get global entry. All the privileges of sentri, and more. Interview places are all over the place, not just at border.

John Harper - 8-24-2019 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Real ID was free to me since I had to renew my ID this year.

What do you mean "Real ID was free?" My CDL will expire this coming January and I guess I'm forced to update. Doesn't it cost to renew your CDL, be it Real ID or not?

I've got extensions for years, but with the Real ID campaign, I think this year I'll have to go in and do the whole enchilada. Is there some secret password or hand signal to get the Real ID for free?

Once I have Real ID, I don't need my PP card to drive into Baja?

Please explain.

John

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by John Harper]

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 03:02 PM

Just saying I had to renew, so wasn't any extra cost.

You still need a PP in Baja. PP card isn't technically valid past the border region in MX.

Here is the source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Passport_Card.

Whether MX accepts it in practice is a different story. I wouldn't count on it though.

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by JZ]

SFandH - 8-24-2019 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Real ID was free to me since I had to renew my ID this year.

What do you mean "Real ID was free?" My CDL will expire this coming January and I guess I'm forced to update. Doesn't it cost to renew your CDL, be it Real ID or not?

I've got extensions for years, but with the Real ID campaign, I think this year I'll have to go in and do the whole enchilada. Is there some secret password or hand signal to get the Real ID for free?

Once I have Real ID, I don't need my PP card to drive into Baja?

Please explain.

John

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by John Harper]

I had to go in last month to renew. They wouldn't do it through the mail this time. $36. Eye test, one eye passed, and a written test, I aced it. I got the regular license. No need for the fancy one. I have a passport if needed. The main thing I know about is next year you won't be able to take a domestic US flight without the fancy license unless you have a passport. I wouldn't count on foreign officials seeing any difference between a fancy and regular license.

[Edited on 8-24-2019 by SFandH]

Bajazly - 8-24-2019 at 03:27 PM

Over on Bloodydecks there is a discussion about the toll booths being back in operation and some are saying immigration has some checkpoints setup looking at proper documentation for gringos.

SFandH - 8-24-2019 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Over on Bloodydecks there is a discussion about the toll booths being back in operation and some are saying immigration has some checkpoints setup looking at proper documentation for gringos.

The TJ news I've read is about immigration looking for Haitians and Central Americans, a growing problem in TJ. For example:

https://zetatijuana.com/2019/08/operativos-de-revision-a-mig...

http://jornadabc.mx/tijuana/21-08-2019/realiza-inm-redada-en...

Drove through the Rosarito and TJ toll booths earlier today. Federales were checking things out, no immigration guys that I saw. Got waved through by the cops.

sancho - 8-24-2019 at 04:21 PM

I got the regular license. No need for the fancy one. I have a passport if needed. The main thing I know about is next year you won't be able to take a domestic US flight without the fancy license unless you have a passport.

SF, am I reading this correct that CA issues basically 2 types of
DL's? That if you have a Passport that satisfies the regs
of needing a real ID to fly within the US? Gracias

chrishaynesusa - 8-24-2019 at 04:30 PM

Texthttps://www.tsa.gov/real-id

Flying with a REAL ID
Save the date.

Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of ID to fly within the United States.
Check for the star.

REAL ID-compliant cards are generally marked with a star located in the upper portion of the card. If you’re not sure, contact your state driver’s license agency on how to obtain a REAL ID compliant card.

Acceptable form of ID... https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Identification

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

SFandH - 8-24-2019 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

SF, am I reading this correct that CA issues basically 2 types of
DL's? That if you have a Passport that satisfies the regs
of needing a real ID to fly within the US? Gracias

Yes CA issues the regular license and an enhanced (REAL ID) license. A passport and all the other above IDs will get you on an airplane, regardless of what kind of driver license you have, if any.

With this caveat: "Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, if you plan to use your state-issued ID or license to fly within the U.S., make sure it is REAL ID compliant."

John Harper - 8-24-2019 at 05:53 PM

So, it's $36 for either a Real ID or CDL? That's if you are required to go in to renew your license?

John

SFandH - 8-24-2019 at 05:56 PM

I dunno, it was 36 bucks for me, the only ID I needed was my old license.

see: https://www.dmv.org/ca-california/renew-license.php

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by SFandH]

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
So, it's $36 for either a Real ID or CDL? That's if you are required to go in to renew your license?

John

Yes.

Also, if you renew(ed) this year, but aren't ready to get the Real Id (i.e. don't have your paperwork ready), you can go back anytime before the end of the year and get the Real Id for free. They told me that at the DMW last month.

Btw, I wouldn't call it the CDL, CDL stands for commercial drivers license.

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by JZ]

John Harper - 8-25-2019 at 09:12 AM

Got it, thanks.

John

BajaMama - 8-25-2019 at 12:37 PM

My regular license didn't expire for years but I made appt. to get Real ID to beat the rush. Very easy.

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by BajaMama]