BajaNomad

What are the 5 best "Easy to Medium" Baja trails?

Pages:  1  

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 06:29 PM

By easy/medium, I mean can be done with a good, stock 4x4 by a driver with a bit of off road experience. No real rock climbing. No road building.

Distance 30 to 60 miles, give or take.

If you don't have 5, just give us 1 or 2 of your favorites.

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by JZ]

David K - 8-24-2019 at 06:39 PM

What is it you want to go to, do, see??
The entire peninsula is mostly easy dirt roads. The extreme ones (like Mission Santa María and Pole Line Road) we know so I would lump every other dirt road in with "easy to medium". So, in 30-60 miles, what do you want to see?

How about the road from north of Colonet to Rancho El Coyote (good food, motel rooms, camping area, ~35 miles)?

L.A. Bay to Bahía Las Animas is another (~40 miles) or longer, to Punta San Francisquito?

I could go on and on looking at the map... so maybe tell us what you are seeking beside the kind of road and distance?

We know you hate San Felipe and the northern Gulf, so only south of Gonzaga Bay!

JZ - 8-24-2019 at 07:08 PM

Good question. General question is what are your favorite day runs.

Criteria:
- the runs you like the most, think are the most beautiful, fun
- anywhere in Baja
- ~30-60 drive in the dirt (i.e. half day to a day run)
- a place to stay or camp at the end is nice to have, but can also take the hwy back to somewhere
- no services (food, gas, etc.) required, it's optional

Examples:

- San Evarsito to La Paz
- San Javier Mision to Comodu or San Isidro
- Constitution to Timbabichi/El Gato
- Bahia Blanco to Santa Rosalillita

David K - 8-24-2019 at 10:39 PM

Las Pintas, round trip from Km. 80.5, is about 55 miles. Great petroglyph and fossil grotto.

Mission Guadalupe is 40 miles from the highway/ Mulegé. Beautiful country. Featured in Episode 1 of Trail of Missions Recon video.

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2019 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
By easy/medium, I mean can be done with a good, stock 4x4 by a driver with a bit of off road experience. No real rock climbing. No road building.

The best places in baja are inaccessible by motor vehicle...

JZ - 8-25-2019 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Mission Guadalupe is 40 miles from the highway/ Mulegé. Beautiful country. Featured in Episode 1 of Trail of Missions Recon video.

60 mile loop in the dirt, then 20 on the hwy back to Mulege. I haven't done it yet. Sounds like a great 1 day excursion.

TMW - 8-25-2019 at 02:32 PM

Easy means it's an access road to a worse road worth taking.

TMW - 8-25-2019 at 02:45 PM

JZ the road you show going west of the mission in the GE image is messed up a couple of miles from the junction near Rancho Las Tunas. The rancher said only horses can get thru but Nomad Desert Bull was chasing some motorcycle riders that got thru. They had to carry their bikes a couple of times but made it. I hoping the road will someday be open again.

David K - 8-25-2019 at 03:31 PM

Las Tunas is just off of this map... but is on the next one >>>

shari - 8-25-2019 at 03:37 PM

you dont really need a 4X4, but the road into San Borja Mission from either BOLA or Nuevo Rosarito is a breathtaking scenic road through the cirio cactus forest, some cool little canyons and a great place to camp in San Borja and trails around there too..hot springs, nice garden and a gigantic mango tree plus the Mission!
Also the road into San Jose de Magdelena is sweet...lot of water for swimming in...and a great museum at the top of the village.

defrag4 - 8-25-2019 at 05:13 PM

the road outside Loreto from the San Javier mission to the Comondus over to La Purisma that traverses over the Sierra gigante range is pretty fun, not too challenging right now, a few spots where 4x4 is handy, we shall if the rains change it next season

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by defrag4]

advrider - 8-25-2019 at 08:36 PM

San Ignacio to scorpion bay is one I like and then onto La Purisma is a good two or three day run.

BajaRun - 8-25-2019 at 09:13 PM

Buffalo Ranch Rd. Thru the Pine Forest.

advrider - 8-25-2019 at 09:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Buffalo Ranch Rd. Thru the Pine Forest.

More info, are you talking about Laguna Hansen?

larryC - 8-26-2019 at 09:30 AM

The old road from BoLA to San Francisquito, it goes through La Bocana. You turn off of the graded road at about K35 (where there are 2 tires stood up) south of Bola and go through a couple of ranchos and then at La Bocana you have to navigate a washed out portion and then on south to meet up with the graded road to San Francisquito at about K80. Fun little out of the way loop.

David K - 8-26-2019 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
The old road from BoLA to San Francisquito, it goes through La Bocana. You turn off of the graded road at about K35 (where there are 2 tires stood up) south of Bola and go through a couple of ranchos and then at La Bocana you have to navigate a washed out portion and then on south to meet up with the graded road to San Francisquito at about K80. Fun little out of the way loop.

As there were no kilometer markers, do set your trip odometer to zero when you leave the pavement in L.A. Bay town (tire shop/ Xitlali market).

Pass Las Flores jailhouse (see it off to the right) at Mile 9.7.

The old road going right, via La Bocana valley, is at Mile 22.1.

I would have to rate this road as 4WD only and very slow/ rough. You will pass by some of the largest cardón cactus in Baja along the way.

If you pass it, the Bahía las Animas road is about 4 miles further.
The old road rejoins the graded road at Mile 56.3 (on the new road). The old road is very difficult to spot, coming in from the right-rear. Only motorcycle tracks on it. GPS: 28°26.057', -113°10.444'.

This old road was made famous in the 1967 Erle Stanley Gardner book, Off the Beaten Track in Baja. They opened/ repaired the old road in Feb. 1966. It does not appear on any maps before then.

This 1989 AAA map has both the old and new roads shown:

Note that the ranch showed as "San Pedro" is actually La Bocana.

4x4abc - 8-26-2019 at 11:09 AM

definitely not easy or medium
easy for the experienced Baja buffs
everyone else has to be pretty brave to do this

the correct turn off is here:
28°42'35.38"N, 113°28'11.98"W

the one at km 35 used to have an old door as marker
easier, but less scenic

around 28°40'5.50"N, 113°27'30.54"W is the start of an old road leading into Arroyo San Pedro over Cuesta Santa Isabelita
28°36'27.04"N, 113°31'49.14"W

I have driven it in a very capable 4x4
MC will do better

By the way, the early road in Valle Las Flores is super cool

Attachment: 4x4 rural early road.kmz (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 206 times

advrider - 8-26-2019 at 12:56 PM

Is this what used to be called the green door trail? If so the year before last on Motos was a workout, lots of rocks covered by deep sand, a 4x4 trail for sure.

Mulege Canuck - 8-26-2019 at 01:06 PM

I drive half way from Mulege towards San Juanico. Nice swimming hole up there. Camp overnight and head back the next day. It is two trips really. On the way up it is steep and your view is limited to the road in front of you. On the way back the views are incredible. I drive it with a camper but it is a little sporty with it. Non issue with a taco.

Swimming Hole “Agua de Gringo “
26’ 40.654 N
112’ 20.873 W

David K - 8-26-2019 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Is this what used to be called the green door trail? If so the year before last on Motos was a workout, lots of rocks covered by deep sand, a 4x4 trail for sure.

Yes...
Kacey Smith has it in her GPS book.
Here is a photo of Paulina and Dern there... My Viva Baja sticker on it was placed in 2001.

Green Door.JPG - 33kB

JZ - 8-26-2019 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
I drive half way from Mulege towards San Juanico. Nice swimming hole up there. Camp overnight and head back the next day. It is two trips really. On the way up it is steep and your view is limited to the road in front of you. On the way back the views are incredible. I drive it with a camper but it is a little sporty with it. Non issue with a taco.

Swimming Hole “Agua de Gringo “
26’ 40.654 N
112’ 20.873 W

I mapped out the path to your "Agua de Gringo" off of the Guadalupe Mission loop. Lots of ranches up there. Can you get through all the way to the coast?

Attachment: Rt to Agua de Gringo.kmz (3kB)
This file has been downloaded 186 times

[Edited on 8-27-2019 by JZ]

advrider - 8-26-2019 at 06:36 PM

That's it, I remember when the door was still there, wasn't there also a refrigerator that some Canadian's had painted flock ya, Baja on it, also headed south from BOLA?

David K - 8-26-2019 at 06:46 PM

Sorry, that I don't remember.

honda tom - 8-26-2019 at 07:17 PM

door is gone...… now its a tire.

AKgringo - 8-26-2019 at 07:25 PM

The surfboard probably still marks the turn off to Las Animas. That is a fun side trip, and a few good campsites in there!

honda tom - 8-26-2019 at 07:34 PM

if heading to mission san Borja from BOLA hyw…. 4 miles in as road turns south go straight (its by an abandoned rancho with buildings)…. we call it the start of 22 days trail. You go another 3 miles and 22 days single track goes straight.... you vere SW in trucks.head into Palo Chino and enjoy yourself! At Hwy 1 give the rancher 50 pesos to open the gate... good dude, shot the chit with him and share a beer.

Go 1/2 mile north on hwy 1 and head out by the ranches... watch for the valley and head to the pacific... this route drops you on the coast a couple miles north of Santa Rosalito. 2wd will make it. from here San Fran.. GN..or mariscos at New Rosarito.

advrider - 8-26-2019 at 08:08 PM

Rode that single track last year(22 day) very fun stretch of single track out to the highway... That rancho is all fixed up and doesn't look abandoned anymore.. I'll have to try the other route to.

larryC - 8-26-2019 at 09:26 PM

As there were no kilometer markers, do set your trip odometer to zero when you leave the pavement in L.A. Bay town (tire shop/ Xitlali market).

Pass Las Flores jailhouse (see it off to the right) at Mile 9.7.

The old road going right, via La Bocana valley, is at Mile 22.1.

I would have to rate this road as 4WD only and very slow/ rough. You will pass by some of the largest cardón cactus in Baja along the way.

If you pass it, the Bahía las Animas road is about 4 miles further.
The old road rejoins the graded road at Mile 56.3 (on the new road). The old road is very difficult to spot, coming in from the right-rear. Only motorcycle tracks on it. GPS: 28°26.057', -113°10.444'.

This old road was made famous in the 1967 Erle Stanley Gardner book, Off the Beaten Track in Baja. They opened/ repaired the old road in Feb. 1966. It does not appear on any maps before then.

This 1989 AAA map has both the old and new roads shown:

Note that the ranch showed as "San Pedro" is actually La Bocana.

There are Kilometer markers now all the way to and probably beyond SF. Animas turn off is also plainly marked. Probably in the last 6 months. The road is fairly newly graded and all the wash outs and cement vados are repaired. Will wonders never cease.

ehall - 8-27-2019 at 07:42 AM

Great thread. Gave me a new itch for more exploring.

Mulege Canuck - 8-27-2019 at 07:48 AM

First time, I drove through from Mulege to San Juanico. Not doing that again. I was cutting brush and small trees for a long way! Not to mention the scenery is not that spectacular down the never ending arroyos. I would not recommend anyone taking a full-size truck camper on that road past the swimming hole. I cut the brush back every year. I did not have to cut much last trip.

David K - 8-27-2019 at 07:50 AM

Thanks Larry! Wow, now there is a needed update to the guidebook (which has the road detailed with miles, as there were no km. markers in 2017).

A Request:
Please, any Nomad who can: note the kilometer markers at the points along the road.
Larry or ?: Do the numbers continue from the paved road (adding from the sailboat monument, Km. 66) or do they begin at zero and where is Km. 0?
Thank you!
My road log from L.A. Bay to San Francisquito is in this section, scroll down: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91898

S Borja roads

PaulW - 8-27-2019 at 08:06 AM

In the image
S Borja is at 28 44.635, -113 45.24
Junction at K45 on BOLA hwy is at 28 59.175, -113 44.8828
Rosarito at K 52 is at 28 37.875, -114 01.317

S Borja Roads.jpg - 243kB

Mulege Canuck - 8-27-2019 at 08:15 AM

First time, I drove through from Mulege to San Juanico. Not doing that again. I was cutting brush and small trees for a long way! Not to mention the scenery is not that spectacular down the never ending arroyos. I would not recommend anyone taking a full-size truck camper on that road past the swimming hole. I cut the brush back every year. I did not have to cut much last trip.

There is a small tienda up there 5 km before the swimming hole. Armando and his family run it. Nice people. Worth a stop.

David K - 8-27-2019 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
if heading to mission san Borja from BOLA hyw…. 4 miles in as road turns south go straight (its by an abandoned rancho with buildings)…. we call it the start of 22 days trail. You go another 3 miles and 22 days single track goes straight.... you vere SW in trucks.head into Palo Chino and enjoy yourself! At Hwy 1 give the rancher 50 pesos to open the gate... good dude, shot the chit with him and share a beer.

Go 1/2 mile north on hwy 1 and head out by the ranches... watch for the valley and head to the pacific... this route drops you on the coast a couple miles north of Santa Rosalito. 2wd will make it. from here San Fran.. GN..or mariscos at New Rosarito.

Palo Chino?
Gate at Hwy. 1?
Can you post a map that shows where these points are so we have an idea of where this road is in relation to the main San Borja roads?
That is great country in there!

Green door trail

PaulW - 8-27-2019 at 08:22 AM

Green Door trail (aka San Pedro trail) From LAB going south the Green door loop crosses the huge wash twice called “Arroyo San Pedro” then back to the LAB to El Barril road. The wash crossings were difficult and high clearance and 4x4 was needed.
Details: Green door road leaves the LAB/El Barril road at about 28 40.77, -113 25.554 with a right turn. This is where the missing green door used to be.
Merge the LAB to El Barril road at 28 26.3, 113 10.7.
See the road on the Almanac.

Green Door image.jpg - 190kB

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The surfboard probably still marks the turn off to Las Animas. That is a fun side trip, and a few good campsites in there!

Never been there. How's the drive in? Can you camp on the beach at Las Animas?

bajatrailrider - 8-27-2019 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The best trails in Baja .are not visited by idiot tourest from San Diego. Jajaja

The best places in baja are inaccessible by motor vehicle...

bajatrailrider - 8-27-2019 at 10:52 AM

. you want great 4x4 and dirt bike trails . Just visit me already took David to hot springs I think he liked it

AKgringo - 8-27-2019 at 11:04 AM

JZ, I did not spend a lot of time there, but there seemed to be quite a few options for camping. In addition to beach access, there were some decent sites shaded by trees. If you have a paddle board or kayak, there are some interesting mangrove lagoons as well.

I was in there in December, and DK did his trip report on that road within a week of my visit. The road must have been in much better shape in the past, because there are several mobile homes and houses built there (all vacant on my trip) that would have required a lot better access than is current.

Nature has re-aligned the road in a few places, and some of them were soft, but my light weight Kia could have made the trip in 2wd.

4x4abc - 8-27-2019 at 11:24 AM

best beach here:
28°49'21.01"N 113°21'52.94"W

David K - 8-27-2019 at 11:59 AM

JZ, I did not spend a lot of time there, but there seemed to be quite a few options for camping. In addition to beach access, there were some decent sites shaded by trees. If you have a paddle board or kayak, there are some interesting mangrove lagoons as well.

I was in there in December, and DK did his trip report on that road within a week of my visit. The road must have been in much better shape in the past, because there are several mobile homes and houses built there (all vacant on my trip) that would have required a lot better access than is current.

Nature has re-aligned the road in a few places, and some of them were soft, but my light weight Kia could have made the trip in 2wd.

JZ, if you just look at the trip reports (mine and others), you will have most of your questions answered.

26 miles from Bahia de los Angeles is this junction. It is 10 miles to the bay shore, 11 to a camping beach, and 12 to another camping beach past the mangroves. The 11-mile camping beach had a Tacoma with a solo camper, we waved. I chatted with him the next morning on my way out to make sure he was okay. His name was Abe and he was from Colorado. He said he travels around the world spending months at a time exploring. I camped a mile beyond and it was a beautiful, starry night for New Years Eve.

I don't think you will like it as it has a low tide and you hate the big tides and sand bars at San Felipe!

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 12:15 PM

JZ, if you just look at the trip reports (mine and others), you will have most of your questions answered.

If everyone did that what would we have to discuss? I'm sure every single question has been answered on here over the last 15 years.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about going out there very soon. Have driven right by it several times.

[Edited on 8-27-2019 by JZ]

Mulege Canuck - 8-27-2019 at 12:37 PM

I did the El Arco to BOLA a few years ago. I never got to Las Animas but I would like to go there this year.

David, how much brush cutting would I have to do to get in there with a full size camper?

David K - 8-27-2019 at 01:20 PM

I did the El Arco to BOLA a few years ago. I never got to Las Animas but I would like to go there this year.

David, how much brush cutting would I have to do to get in there with a full size camper?

Trucks go in and out of there (seasonal fish camp) so, while it is not graded, if you keep it to a slow speed (in 4WD) [you do have 4WD, right?], you will be fine. Fly over it on Google Earth and get a feel for the road and what is at the end. There is a lagoon just past the fish camp and has a sandy beach. Then you can continue and drive around the mangroves to the beach I camped on, in the photos.

honda tom - 8-27-2019 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

Palo Chino?
Gate at Hwy. 1?
Can you post a map that shows where these points are so we have an idea of where this road is in relation to the main San Borja roads?
That is great country in there!

The trail is actually in the almanac.The ranch buildings are on the way to the mission.... only 3 miles from the BOLA Hwy. The area is listed as Agua de Higuera . Main road to san bora heads south... you stay west.

David K - 8-27-2019 at 01:48 PM

OK,yes... I see the road from near Agua de Higuera to Rinconada (near La Bachata on Hwy. 1) along an arroyo named Palo Chino. Is this an easy to medium road he seeks?

[Edited on 8-27-2019 by David K]

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

best beach here:

Thank you. I marked it. Hoping to go see your beach within the next two weeks, will report back.

larryC - 8-27-2019 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Green Door trail (aka San Pedro trail) From LAB going south the Green door loop crosses the huge wash twice called “Arroyo San Pedro” then back to the LAB to El Barril road. The wash crossings were difficult and high clearance and 4x4 was needed.
Details: Green door road leaves the LAB/El Barril road at about 28 40.77, -113 25.554 with a right turn. This is where the missing green door used to be.
Merge the LAB to El Barril road at 28 26.3, 113 10.7.
See the road on the Almanac.

PaulW
That is the same loop I was talking about, thanks for the map> The green door is gone now and in its place there are 2 tires standing up.
David,
I'm not sure exactly where the the kilometers start but I suspect it is where the dirt road starts right next to the Xitlali store. The markers are set out with odd on the west and even on the east side of the road. They start at zero. A short little ride can be had at K 19 a road goes of the west and goes up to where the cable came down from the San Juan mine to off load ore to the small rail cars and be taken down to be crushed at the old rock building or as some call it the jail house at Las Flores.

larryC - 8-27-2019 at 06:11 PM

You won't have any problem big trucks and cab-over campers go in there all the time. A few soft spots so you might have to air down, I usually don't have to but everyone's experience is different.
Oh, and the turn off is at K42 and is well marked.

[Edited on 8-28-2019 by larryC]

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 06:17 PM

Just did this trail recently, and it immediately vaulted into a top 5 "medium" run for me. Starts about 30 miles from La Paz and goes into Los Barriles.

The first part is pretty intense with few miles of very narrow switch backs. Once you get to the coast it becomes a very easy drive.

Track:

Attachment: Rt La Paz to Los Barriles.kmz (6kB)
This file has been downloaded 185 times

[Edited on 8-28-2019 by JZ]

David K - 8-27-2019 at 06:25 PM

You won't have any problem big trucks and cab-over campers go in there all the time. A few soft spots so you might have to air down, I usually don't have to but everyone's experience is different.

[Edited on 8-28-2019 by larryC]

I measured it at 26.0 miles from the pavement in town which is 42 kilometers, almost spot on. Looks like Km. 0 is the same as my Mile 0. That helps me to add Km. figures, easily... Thank you, Larry! If you have any other Km. marker notes, I can double check them to my odometer.

advrider - 8-27-2019 at 07:14 PM

Are there any full time people or a store/restaurant at Las Animas? I've seen the sign but never stopped. Would love to camp kayak out there and just like to plan a head. I've seen a few reports with a little info but not much.

AKgringo - 8-27-2019 at 07:31 PM

Are there any full time people or a store/restaurant at Las Animas? I've seen the sign but never stopped. Would love to camp kayak out there and just like to plan a head. I've seen a few reports with a little info but not much.

I was there a week before Christmas, and there was nobody there! It had rained fairly recently, and the only tracks I found appeared to have turned around, and left.

The closest services of any kind would be in Bahia de Los Angeles.

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Give us some good trails to ponder Ed.

advrider - 8-27-2019 at 07:53 PM

AKgringo, Thanks for the info. I love BOLA so a short trip South from there would be good, or a night or two on the the way out to El Arco? Any more pictures of the are or mangroves? I know one of the nomads did a clean up out there a while back.

David K - 8-27-2019 at 08:13 PM

AKgringo, Thanks for the info. I love BOLA so a short trip South from there would be good, or a night or two on the the way out to El Arco? Any more pictures of the are or mangroves? I know one of the nomads did a clean up out there a while back.

Here are a couple of the mangrove and one of the road into Las Animas.

New Years Day 2017.

Mulege Canuck - 8-28-2019 at 05:50 AM

[Edited on 8-28-2019 by larryC][/

Thanks for the info

PaulW - 8-28-2019 at 06:55 AM

Just did this trail recently, and it immediately vaulted into a top 5 "medium" run for me. Starts about 30 miles from La Paz and goes into Los Barriles.

The first part is pretty intense with few miles of very narrow switch backs. Once you get to the coast it becomes a very easy drive.
[Edited on 8-28-2019 by JZ]

=== == ==
Recommended. One of my favorites

honda tom - 8-28-2019 at 09:16 AM

OK,yes... I see the road from near Agua de Higuera to Rinconada (near La Bachata on Hwy. 1) along an arroyo named Palo Chino. Is this an easy to medium road he seeks?

[Edited on 8-27-2019 by David K]

easy for stock 4wd. doable with slight lift on 2wd. bring your almanac for the road to the pacific from la bachata...… lots of ranch roads and y's that look the same. A beautiful gorge full of palms and water halfway to the ocean.

honda tom - 8-28-2019 at 09:28 AM

about halfway in from BOLA Hwy and Hwy 1. the trail passes a corral and a water tank..... you know your on the correct path.

Ranch roads and Ys'

AKgringo - 8-28-2019 at 09:28 AM

More than a few times when I have been exploring, the road "most traveled" would dead end at a working ranch! I would have to double back and find the correct 'Y' that is actually the main road.

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 09:36 AM

best beach here:

Thank you. I marked it. Hoping to go see your beach within the next two weeks, will report back.

once you get there - ask the locals for the name of that island
28°49'38.68"N 113°21'24.81"W

almost always people here:
28°48'58.01"N 113°21'10.18"W

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 09:38 AM

grave sites and other indian stuff up on the hill - look for it and you'll find it
28°49'10.52"N 113°22'3.72"W

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 09:45 AM

Padre Consag visited Las Animas on day 10 of his journey in 1746.
June 18, 1746
He called the bay Bahia Purgatorio

JZ - 8-28-2019 at 10:30 AM

How far up from that beach can you drive? I want to see the beach where the Ecolodge is. I'm taking my Zodiac.

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 12:40 PM

with a good 4x4 I have driven to this rocky beach:
28°52'36.14"N 113°22'2.82"W

you only have to make it over this rocky hill:
28°51'55.77"N 113°22'18.85"W
not difficult

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 12:49 PM

cool canyons to explore here:
28°44'20.00"N 113°16'34.01"W
easy drive up the wash

very colorful rock formations
hand size crystals

from there you can continue south to meet up with the main road
followed an old dozer track some years ago
beautiful country
need to be brave and have good 4x4

Attachment: track.kmz (1kB)
This file has been downloaded 180 times

JZ - 8-28-2019 at 12:58 PM

with a good 4x4 I have driven to this rocky beach:
28°52'36.14"N 113°22'2.82"W

you only have to make it over this rocky hill:
28°51'55.77"N 113°22'18.85"W
not difficult

Did you just go down the beach, then over the hill?

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 01:01 PM

here is a shortcut for canyon San Pedro I have done some years ago
sparse vegetation - a lot of sand
good for pictures

Attachment: shortcut.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 169 times

ehall - 8-28-2019 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Give us some good trails to ponder Ed.

I wish I had more to share. I got a lot of catching up to do. Lots of places mentioned here that I have never been.

4x4abc - 8-28-2019 at 01:44 PM

Did you just go down the beach, then over the hill?

yup

David K - 8-28-2019 at 02:33 PM

good for pictures

Very interesting... I do not see any sign of a track along your line. What do you know of this route? Was it your creation or was there an old path, perhaps from the mining era?

I am interested in this area because it was in my search region looking for the lost Jesuit ruins of Santa María Magdalena (found by Bahía las Animas in 1966 and again in 2009) and how Erle Stanley Gardner (1966) and Arthur North (1906) explored that way following the Jesuit's Golfo Camino Real.

David K - 8-28-2019 at 03:11 PM

Padre Consag visited Las Animas on day 10 of his journey in 1746.
June 18, 1746
He called the bay Bahia Purgatorio

Consag's 1746 expedition diary (in English) and other trips are in this book, online: https://archive.org/stream/lifeworksofrever00kons#mode/2up

The entire map he made is not copied on that book link, just the southern half.

Here is the whole map...

In another version, made in 1748, a close up of the L.A. Bay region...

In his diary, he does refer to the location as "Las Animas" (a couple of pages later) and the point he called Cape Las Animas. I think he used the term Purgatory as a nickname because of their arriving in the dark and surviving the rocks... read below...

It was this canoe expedition that finally put to rest the idea that California was an island (despite it being proven so, many times before)...

San Pedro with other tracks

PaulW - 8-29-2019 at 02:43 PM

SanPedro/Greendoor with Harald's shortcut with a crude track of the main road are shown on the image.
Of course the shortcut is - make your own track in the sand and is a major shortcut from the main road. For people heading south lots of time would be saved compared to the main road shown in green. Like Harald said - deep sand so be prepared.
However for a bike or 4x4 guy the shortcut misses some of the best and most difficult part of San Pedro drainage.
I am waiting for a report for someone taking that shortcut.

San Pedro.jpg - 223kB

[Edited on 8-29-2019 by PaulW]

larryC - 8-30-2019 at 11:30 AM

Paul
Not sure I understand, is the shortcut you are referring to the blue mark? Back in the old days, before '83 the red mark was the main road. Since the road was graded and goes through San Rafael it is used very little. Probably only by people like ourselves that just want to do it because we can. I'm heading down to my place in early Oct and will plan that trip for Nov or Dec. If anybody else wants to join me you are welcome to come along. I'll be taking my SxS.

David K - 8-30-2019 at 11:35 AM

Larry, the blue line is from Harald (4x4abc)... the link was in his post above. I do not understand why he calls it a shortcut to San Pedro Canyon, however. It bypasses the entrance to the canyon of Arroyo San Pedro (Rancho La Bocana)...

good for pictures

4x4abc - 8-30-2019 at 12:03 PM

this is the original layout of the old road

Attachment: 4x4 rural .kmz (5kB)
This file has been downloaded 191 times

larryC - 8-30-2019 at 12:12 PM

I have never noticed any tracks that would take you around San Pedro and I guess on how long ago he did it Odile may have washed out all his old tracks. The arroyo up past the rancho at San Pedro/La Bocana is worth doing. About 5 miles or so up the wash there is an old mining site with the rock crusher still there and an old single cylinder 2 cycle engine that through a long belt drove the crusher. I never have found the site where they were getting the ore to crush but I suspect it was near by. There is also an old ranch cabin not too far from the mining site. Lots of interesting stuff up in the hills around Bahia.

Harald
My google earth on this computer is messed up so I can't see your kmz files. I guess maybe I need to down load GE again.

[Edited on 8-30-2019 by larryC]

David K - 8-30-2019 at 12:32 PM

Harald's latest map shows just the part of the old road from near La Bocana (San Pedro on Almanac) east to the intersection with the graded road.

4x4abc - 8-30-2019 at 01:04 PM

yes, there is a mining trail going in opposite from Rancho San Pedro

Attachment: 4x4 rural mining.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 162 times

4 roads or tracks

PaulW - 8-30-2019 at 01:28 PM

Here are 4 roads. Green is the present main road. Red is the track called Green Door or San Pedro. Blue is Harald's sand shortcut. Violet is Harald's "original layout of the old road".

4 roads.jpg - 229kB

David K - 8-30-2019 at 01:28 PM

FYI, the Tinaja de Santa María, just 1/2 mile off the Golfo Camino Real, is just south of Valle La Bocana, here: 28° 26.065'N, 113° 20.069'W
This was well described by Arthur North on his 1906 expedition for Camp & Camino in Lower California.

4x4abc - 8-30-2019 at 02:36 PM

here are the other ones worth exploring

Attachment: tracks.kmz (12kB)
This file has been downloaded 180 times

4x4abc - 8-30-2019 at 09:14 PM

FYI, the Tinaja de Santa María, just 1/2 mile off the Golfo Camino Real, is just south of Valle La Bocana, here: 28° 26.065'N, 113° 20.069'W
This was well described by Arthur North on his 1906 expedition for Camp & Camino in Lower California.

beautifully preserved part of Camino Real right there

Attachment: cr min.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 189 times

bajaric - 8-31-2019 at 05:07 AM

The rock crusher in the canyon west of San Pedro / La Bocana ranch was mentioned by Crosby in his Baja Cave Painting book.

4x4abc - 8-31-2019 at 05:19 AM

no pictures?
no maps?

bajaric - 8-31-2019 at 05:46 AM

Harold, I am not tech savvy enough to post maps on here, although your kmz files, when I click on them, show up on my Google earth. Thank you! I have never been to that place and doubt I ever will, small oddball mine in the middle of nowhere, it would be cool to see but with 2WD a little sketchy I think. How is the foot?

PaulW - 8-31-2019 at 06:05 AM

From the turn on the proper San Pedro track - where the drainage becomes narrow. What we found was huge rocks making driving somewhat dicy. I will give it a try on my next trip. Should be an easy walk from the 2wd road from the north. BTW, It is in middle of desolate country so be well prepared with some kind of satellite tracker like we all use.
Bajaric, get a built 4x4 and enjoy these tracks.

larryC - 8-31-2019 at 07:51 AM

I have driven all the way into the mine site a couple of times, twice on my quad and once in my 4x4 truck. Now the rancher at La Bocana has fenced the arroyo. If he is there when you go through he would probably give permission to go up there.

4x4abc - 8-31-2019 at 08:22 AM

I have driven all the way into the mine site a couple of times, twice on my quad and once in my 4x4 truck. Now the rancher at La Bocana has fenced the arroyo. If he is there when you go through he would probably give permission to go up there.

have you done Custa Santa Isabelita?

I abandoned crossing some years ago running out of time

larryC - 8-31-2019 at 08:34 AM

Not sure where that is. Give me a hint. Keep in mind that my Google earth on this computer doesn't work. So just lat lon doesn't work for me until I can get GE working.

4x4abc - 8-31-2019 at 09:39 AM

isabelita.jpg - 209kB

photos from Rancho San Pedro

John M - 8-31-2019 at 01:07 PM

well, looked as though it may still be operative in March 2009

Branding iron remains at the ranch

The area around the ranch wasn't completely abandoned

John M

[Edited on 8-31-2019 by John M]

larryC - 9-1-2019 at 10:12 AM

The ranch is seasonal, they run cattle up the arroyo. Lots of water up there. There is also a little rancho half way between the green door turn off and the La Bocana rancho. I forget the rancheros name but he will take you up in the hills to see the Borregos. He has water holes where the big horn sheep come in regularly. He also has a little guest room at the ranch where a couple could spend the night. Very basic but would be an adventure.

Oh, by not completely abandoned you meant the snake. I get it.

[Edited on 9-1-2019 by larryC]

larryC - 9-1-2019 at 10:21 AM

have you done Custa Santa Isabelita?

I abandoned crossing some years ago running out of time

No, not to the extent you have. I have gone through the canyon where the dams are and then come in from the other side of the canyons and also followed the road out into the hills but I had no idea that you could access the la bocana arroyo from that direction. Would like to do that this year, looks like an adventure.

4x4abc - 9-1-2019 at 11:17 AM

No, not to the extent you have. I have gone through the canyon where the dams are and then come in from the other side of the canyons and also followed the road out into the hills but I had no idea that you could access the la bocana arroyo from that direction. Would like to do that this year, looks like an adventure.

the padres used it on the way to San Borja
later someone bulldozed a road in

4x4abc - 9-1-2019 at 11:30 AM

The ranch is seasonal, they run cattle up the arroyo. Lots of water up there. There is also a little rancho half way between the green door turn off and the La Bocana rancho. I forget the rancheros name but he will take you up in the hills to see the Borregos. He has water holes where the big horn sheep come in regularly. He also has a little guest room at the ranch where a couple could spend the night. Very basic but would be an adventure.

Oh, by not completely abandoned you meant the snake. I get it.

[Edited on 9-1-2019 by larryC]

there are 2 ranchos - one of them is called Los Paredones
but I don't know which one

the one on the narrow canyon is Las Venecas

Attachment: rancho Los Paredones.kmz (829B)
This file has been downloaded 159 times

Attachment: rancho Los Paredones II.kmz (752B)
This file has been downloaded 154 times

Attachment: Las Venecas site.kmz (743B)
This file has been downloaded 155 times

David K - 9-1-2019 at 03:02 PM

Los Paredones was Jesus Flores' ranch. He was made famous in Erle Stanley Gardner's books as having a Lost Gold Mine. I hired him in 2001 to guide us to what I hoped was the lost mission ruins. Site of Paredones, Jesus' ranch: N28°36.81' W113°24.59'

In 2002, I had him autograph my copy of Gardner's book he is featured in:

http://www.vivabaja.com/402/page6.html

4x4abc - 9-1-2019 at 10:40 PM

looks like they abandoned that site and moved to the south location

David K - 9-2-2019 at 09:03 AM

Harald, the first Paredones KMZ is the original one. The one you call Paredones II, I do not know about. It wasn't there in 2002, my last time on that entire road.
Las Venecas is correct. Papa Diaz (L.A. Bay) built a dam in there way way back in time.

Pages:  1