BajaNomad

La Paz-Mazatlan Ferry Status?

kiterkip - 8-25-2019 at 11:59 AM

I'm sorry if this is a subject that has been explored too much, but I did search and only found stuff from Jan 2019.
Is the La Paz to Mazatlan overnight ferry in operation? Over the years I've taken this every year in January.... but I'd heard there was a change.
True?

bajajudy - 8-25-2019 at 02:36 PM

Be sure to get your TIP

chippy - 8-25-2019 at 02:44 PM

I took it in the beginning of May 2019. Everythings was fine until we lost an engine. Got in 6 hrs late:(

The only noticable change was it left La Paz 2hrs. later than previous years.

[Edited on 8-25-2019 by chippy]

kiterkip - 8-25-2019 at 03:31 PM

Thank You, I had heard they purchased a new boat, and then I heard they cancelled all runs to Mazatlan, leaving only the Topo run in service. Good to hear it's almost normal.
Yes, I know to get my TIP before I can board. Made that mistake 6 years ago.
Thank You.

'Nother question: Have you ever had good luck simply relying on the web site reservations and just showing up? Over the many years I've always made the www ticket purchase, but then in addition I've always taken an extra trip to the ticket office in La Paz to make absolutely certain of my spot on the boat. Car & Driver.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by kiterkip]

Diver - 8-25-2019 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kiterkip  
Over the years I've taken this every year in January....

What route do you take north from Mazatlan Kip ??
We're thinking of doing it this Jan/Feb.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by Diver]

kiterkip - 8-26-2019 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Diver  
Over the years I've taken this every year in January....

What route do you take north from Mazatlan Kip ??
We're thinking of doing it this Jan/Feb.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by Diver]

I head south to Barra de Navidad/Melaque on 15D up through Guadalajara. Then about 3 months later I head up 15D to Nogales or Sonoyta. Easy, safe drive.

chippy - 8-26-2019 at 11:45 AM

Thank You, I had heard they purchased a new boat, and then I heard they cancelled all runs to Mazatlan, leaving only the Topo run in service. Good to hear it's almost normal.
Yes, I know to get my TIP before I can board. Made that mistake 6 years ago.
Thank You.

'Nother question: Have you ever had good luck simply relying on the web site reservations and just showing up? Over the many years I've always made the www ticket purchase, but then in addition I've always taken an extra trip to the ticket office in La Paz to make absolutely certain of my spot on the boat. Car & Driver.

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by kiterkip]

They used the new boat for the Mazatlan run for a little while then switched it to Topo while fixing up one of the older boats. In may it was one of the older boats that lost the engine.

Heading North I call in a reservation but you still have to go to the office in Maz. hours before loading starts. Heading south I always get it in La Paz as I never really know my schedule and if I have to wait a few days in La Paz I´m happy to do so. I never had much luck with their website.

pacificobob - 8-26-2019 at 12:16 PM

i have had good luck with telephone reservations.

David K - 8-26-2019 at 12:20 PM

Is the 'El Shrimp Bucket' still in business in Mazatlán?

Marc - 8-26-2019 at 01:09 PM

We showed up at the Mazatlan terminal two days before a La Paz departure and were only able to reserve a seat. The gal at the ticket window said to check in at the onboard desk after the ship is underway. I checked in then and scored the main stateroom. Word was this cabin is held for VIP’s that might show at the last minute. Cabin with toilet and shower on the O1 level. All said; I would reserve ahead and yes, double check your reservation a day or so early.

chippy - 8-26-2019 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yep! My cholesterol rises just thinking about it;).

David K - 8-26-2019 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Yep! My cholesterol rises just thinking about it;).

So cool... we ate there in 1970 or '71!!!

[Edited on 8-26-2019 by David K]

AKgringo - 8-26-2019 at 01:39 PM

I head south to Barra de Navidad/Melaque on 15D up through Guadalajara.

That was my plan in November of 2014! Unfortunately, the conditions that my old dog would have to put up with during the crossing made it a non-option.

Love that area, I was last there at the end of 2007, and want to go back! I planned on taking the coast route down to Melaque, then back north on the main route (15d?).

David K - 8-26-2019 at 02:47 PM

I remember in 1973 when my mom tried to sneak her little dog onto the Santa Rosalia/ Guaymas ferry inside her coat. She didn't make it past the ship's boarding person. Had to put it in our car but we were free to walk into the cargo hold (vehicle area) anytime to check on her 'Muñeca'.

kiterkip - 8-26-2019 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

That was my plan in November of 2014! Unfortunately, the conditions that my old dog would have to put up with during the crossing made it a non-option.

Love that area, I was last there at the end of 2007, and want to go back! I planned on taking the coast route down to Melaque, then back north on the main route (15d?).

Yes, It's pretty brutal on the Baja Ferry for the pooch. Not sure just what I'll do now that I have a more high-strung schnauzer. Maybe some cannabis. TMC ferry would allow her to sleep with me in my Subaru..... that's harsh for the human.
It's actually not all 15D until you are northbound out of GDL, you take the Manzanillo/Colima to GDL (I think it's 84), then you get on the delightful brand new libramento the skips all of the annoying crush of Guadalajara. The libramento joins 15D near Tequila.

JZ - 8-26-2019 at 08:47 PM

The vet will give you doggy Xanax. The dog will sleep through it all.

chippy - 8-27-2019 at 05:03 AM

Yes, It's pretty brutal on the Baja Ferry for the pooch. Not sure just what I'll do now that I have a more high-strung schnauzer. Maybe some cannabis. TMC ferry would allow her to sleep with me in my Subaru..... that's harsh for the human.
It's actually not all 15D until you are northbound out of GDL, you take the Manzanillo/Colima to GDL (I think it's 84), then you get on the delightful brand new libramento the skips all of the annoying crush of Guadalajara. The libramento joins 15D near Tequila.

Its hwy 110 from Manz. to Colima then 54D to Tequila and 15D. The newish bypasses (Guad, Tepic; Maz, Obregon and Herm. really save alot of time 4hrs+ for me last time up.

kiterkip - 8-27-2019 at 07:43 AM

OK, I can't resist this. We love El Shrimp Bucket and would always eat there on all Mazataln visits. Still do.
But in about 1997 or so my wife and I went out for a simply wonderful romantic candle light dinner there with our favorite dishes. At one point she's looking across the table at me with big moon eyes saying "You're so wonderful, I love you so much"
I can see over her shoulder the kitchen in the background. Just as she's expressive how much in love she is on this perfect night?...... I see a hug rat dancing across the kitchen floor!!!
I did not spoil the night and saved the rat story until the next morning :)

We often stayed at La Siesta Hotel upstairs from the El Shrimp Bucket.

kiterkip - 8-27-2019 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
The vet will give you doggy Xanax. The dog will sleep through it all.

Thanks!! I will need this for Luna. She's a rescue schnauzer we found in Manzanillo last year. She gets a bit of separation anxiety at times. I'll probably prep her with many nights in her kennel crate pre-ferry ride.

AKgringo - 8-27-2019 at 09:29 AM

Please report back on how things work out with your pup! The problems that I decided to avoid with my old girl, were mostly age related. She was almost fifteen, and had diminishing control of her bowels, and bladder and on a crossing that long she would be laying in her own filth!

About the doggie downers, maybe talk to your veterinarian about doing a dosage test before you commit to a long crossing. My old dog loved road trips, but stressed out with any kennel travel!

She required twice the dosage that a dog her size should need, and it still was not enough to keep her calm on a long lay-over, or ferry crossing.

The ninety pounder that I have now travels fine without sedatives. I have kennel conditioned her since she was six months old, and I am sure that has helped her with flights to and from Alaska.

Fernweh - 8-27-2019 at 03:25 PM

BTW when you step onto a vessel, and it moves, it's a boat. If if does not move, it's a ship.......:)

JZ - 8-27-2019 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
BTW when you step onto a vessel, and it moves, it's a boat. If if does not move, it's a ship.......:)

Where's a yacht fit in?

thebajarunner - 8-27-2019 at 05:45 PM

Boats are vessels that will fit on a ship.
All us old Navy guys know that one...

kiterkip - 8-27-2019 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

I was a airedale, so I don't have a clue ship vs boat. El Centro California, test parachute 68-72. It's where I found my first love of all things Mexico.

Join the Navy See the world

thebajarunner - 8-28-2019 at 08:07 AM

I was a airedale, so I don't have a clue ship vs boat. El Centro California, test parachute 68-72. It's where I found my first love of all things Mexico.

So you get stuck in the ovens of El Centro
and I go aboard my first ship in San Diego, believing that weekends in Baja will be on the menu.
10 days later we head for Panama and the next two years in steamy Norfolk, back and forth to the Caribbean 9 times.
Ever been to Port au Prince?
Makes the TJ barrio look like Malibu

kiterkip - 8-28-2019 at 09:08 AM

So you get stuck in the ovens of El Centro
and I go aboard my first ship in San Diego, believing that weekends in Baja will be on the menu.
10 days later we head for Panama and the next two years in steamy Norfolk, back and forth to the Caribbean 9 times.
Ever been to Port au Prince?
Makes the TJ barrio look like Malibu

Nope, Closest I ever got was the Dominican Republic. It was more ghetto than any Mexico neighborhood.

AKgringo - 8-28-2019 at 10:34 AM

Kiterkip, When you are in Melaque, do you ever go play with the crocodiles at La Manzanilla? If you are lucky, you might be able to swim with them in the bay! (I passed on the opportunity)

kiterkip - 8-28-2019 at 11:04 AM

Kiterkip, When you are in Melaque, do you ever go play with the crocodiles at La Manzanilla? If you are lucky, you might be able to swim with them in the bay! (I passed on the opportunity)

Visited the crocs many times.
We had a comment on TomZap many years ago from a disgruntled woman who visited with her 2 sweet little Pomeranian dogs. She came to see the crocs... let the dogs out of the car.... next she noticed was that one of the crocs had a bulge in his midriff.
She was very upset at the Mexican culture that would allow such a thing.
:)

daveB - 8-28-2019 at 11:55 AM

The first time I've seen my personally - regarded finest area so far, mentioned here, the southern portion of Jalisco. the Costa Alegra. After seven winter stays on a beach of Tenacatita- Playa Mora, also called the Aquarium - we always faced La Manzanilla directly across the Bay, maybe 5 or 6 miles away. Visited friends on the beach there who, after one night were returning back to their rig on the beach, made themselves a quick detour when they noticed right in front of them on their path, a very long, dark and low-slung object right in front of them! And yes the crocs liked to swim just off shore there at La Manzanilla, with people on the beach trying to keep any swimmers "informed." After a hurricane came through one year, and the bridge over the Lagoon became history, it was very interesting to watch people trying to pass around the beach end of the lagoon to gain the dead-end road on the other side because the crocs like to sun themselves over the footprints of earlier travelers. Its been ten years away for me to a part of the world that's perfect November to end of February, but when March rolled around we'd need head to higher, cooler ground found closer to Gaudalajara, and the multitude of facinating smaller Mexican towns.

AKgringo - 8-28-2019 at 06:35 PM

That is sad to hear! I was last there for a couple of weeks over thanksgiving 2007, and I was hoping that the area would be slow to change.

I used to snorkel out on the point where the river flows into the bay. I picked up lots of plastic on the rocks that would wash down from town, but the water seemed clear, and lots of interesting sea life around those rocks!

chippy - 8-28-2019 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
The first time I've seen my personally - regarded finest area so far, mentioned here, the southern portion of Jalisco. the Costa Alegra. After seven winter stays on a beach of Tenacatita- Playa Mora, also called the Aquarium - we always faced La Manzanilla directly across the Bay, maybe 5 or 6 miles away. Visited friends on the beach there who, after one night were returning back to their rig on the beach, made themselves a quick detour when they noticed right in front of them on their path, a very long, dark and low-slung object right in front of them! And yes the crocs liked to swim just off shore there at La Manzanilla, with people on the beach trying to keep any swimmers "informed." After a hurricane came through one year, and the bridge over the Lagoon became history, it was very interesting to watch people trying to pass around the beach end of the lagoon to gain the dead-end road on the other side because the crocs like to sun themselves over the footprints of earlier travelers. Its been ten years away for me to a part of the world that's perfect November to end of February, but when March rolled around we'd need head to higher, cooler ground found closer to Gaudalajara, and the multitude of facinating smaller Mexican towns.

You probably would not like Melaque now. It's overrun with party-time tourists and gentrification. Tons of Quebequas have purchased and built designer homes. The weekend rush of Gaudalajara visitors is insane. It has changed so much since your time of 10+ years ago. Oh.... and they added two stop light, 3 OXXO's, 3 Kiokas stores, and a Bodega (Walmart) in Melaque. I would prefer to live in La Perula, or La Manzanilla, but the wife loves the dance scene. Oh... and... The creek that runs through West Melaque is all black water that goes straight to the bay from apartments and hotels, directly to a baby beach with children playing & splashing. I have not swam at Melaque for 6 years.

Wow Kip quite the expert on Melaque:lol:. I do appreciate your fake news to keep the lame ass gringos out but alot of what you posted is NOT true.

PLEASE go to La Manz you´re perfect for that place:light:.

kiterkip - 8-30-2019 at 07:09 AM

Good Morning Chippy,
Fake news? OK, maybe I sound a bit "glass 1/2 empty".
Come to the west end on Melaque on a windless day and you'll almost choke on the open sewer smell. This was not the case 10 years ago before a string of larger apartments were built. Come for a walk and see the open pipes draining from these buildings. You are aware that the power was disconnected from the govt sewer treatment plant? Now the lagoon is our treatment.
My 1/2 empty glass is only from missing those carefree days of 10 years ago.
Are you from Melaque? Been there most winters for 30 years.

kiterkip - 8-30-2019 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I didn't return till the 80's, stepped off the bus among the multi-story hotels and literally thought I'd arrived in the wrong town. :o

Ha! I met a guy who used to come to Barra back in your times. He said they always set up over on the spit in front of Barra. Dug a pit for the RV drains and stayed all winter.

chippy - 8-30-2019 at 08:26 AM

Good Morning Chippy,
Fake news? OK, maybe I sound a bit "glass 1/2 empty".
Come to the west end on Melaque on a windless day and you'll almost choke on the open sewer smell. This was not the case 10 years ago before a string of larger apartments were built. Come for a walk and see the open pipes draining from these buildings. You are aware that the power was disconnected from the govt sewer treatment plant? Now the lagoon is our treatment.
My 1/2 empty glass is only from missing those carefree days of 10 years ago.
Are you from Melaque? Been there most winters for 30 years.

Morning Kip,
Hey you seem like an ok dude sorry if I came off a little harsh. I have been living down here full time since June 1998. I bought my first place (villa obregon) in 1995 after the eathquake. I have been traveling up and down the Pacific coast of Mexico since i was a teenager (63 now).

Your 10 year thing is funny to me. Sure things where a lot less developed 10 years ago due to the financial crisis of 2008. 2005 thru 2008 things where going crazy development wise with no end in site. Then the crisis hit (gracias a dios) and set it back 10 years. It´s now getting back to that pre 2008 stage (unfortunatly).

Sewer, agricultural chemicals and who knows what has always run out the west end creek. It was better before they drained the swamp that the army base is now built on.

The designer homes thing is also funny. Those POS slap em up junk you consider designer. I´m originally fron S. Calif. My idea of a designer home differs hugely.

This pueblita was built by and for Mexicans/Tapatios coming from Guad.and other parts of Jalisco to party and vacation Mexican style. Its only the 2 to 3 month (jan thru march) occupation that this is not obvious.

This occupational force (snowbird tourists) I speak of seems to be comprised of 90% absolute experts on the Costa Alegre. It´s very annoying and now I spend those months else where.

Saludos Kip

ps theres still no Aurrera Bodega in Melaque/Villa Obregon.

[Edited on 8-30-2019 by chippy]

Another old fogie!

AKgringo - 8-30-2019 at 08:29 AM

My first view of Barra de Navidad was from the back seat of a 53 Buick Roadmaster, fighting for a window seat with my older brother and sister!

That was in 1957, and I was ten years old. My dad was doing well in the logging industry in northern California, and winter pretty much shut down operations back then, so we used to head to Manzanillo for a couple of months in the winter.

Yeah, it has seen some changes!

kiterkip - 8-30-2019 at 08:36 AM

Saludos Kip

Morning Chippy,
I think we've met? I go to the Costa Allegre English speaking church sporadically.
Regarding the Aurrera/Bodega store.... that comment of mine was from the latest news I've heard on TomZap. Sounds like the rock mountain that they took down near the hwy #200 across from the Pemex is in construction with a Bodega.
Also... condo people are trying to build an apartment complex on the old Concha del Mar beach-front site in West Melaque. Not sure if that got off the ground.
Kip

chippy - 8-30-2019 at 08:44 AM

Saludos Kip

Morning Chippy,
I think we've met? I go to the Costa Allegre English speaking church sporadically.
Regarding the Aurrera/Bodega store.... that comment of mine was from the latest news I've heard on TomZap. Sounds like the rock mountain that they took down near the hwy #200 across from the Pemex is in construction with a Bodega.
Also... condo people are trying to build an apartment complex on the old Concha del Mar beach-front site in West Melaque. Not sure if that got off the ground.
Kip

They will! You should see the monstrosity they´re finishing up a block inland from me in VO. 30+ condos:no:.