BajaNomad

2019 SCORE Baja 400 Map (Sept. 18-22)

David K - 8-30-2019 at 10:41 AM

thebajarunner - 8-30-2019 at 11:47 AM

I hate it when you post these maps!!!

Been 30 years since I buckled the 5 way, tightened the helmet and hit the starter.
I can still feel that big padded steering wheel with the tape strip straight up, feel the vibes coming off the big V8, hear the rumble as the cam kicks it over and over, and then hard push on the loud pedal and pure joy....

I hate it!!!

PaulW - 8-30-2019 at 11:57 AM

Good to see Simpsons road is being used again.
Unfamiliar with Rancho Las Truchas. Can someone get me up to speed?

del mar - 8-30-2019 at 12:21 PM

same weekend as the San Pedro Martir Hillclimb! catch em both:coolup:

David K - 8-31-2019 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Good to see Simpsons road is being used again.

That's a new one to me, too.
Looks like it is on the river road that goes near the back gate to AstroBaja's resort, Baja Dark Skies Inn, the former Rancho La Concepción.

norte - 8-31-2019 at 07:02 AM

why 2 similar races...the Baja 400 and Baja 500...Is this the end of the Baja 1000? Lots of people against off-road racings noisy environmental damage.

bajatrailrider - 8-31-2019 at 07:31 AM

For every one that does not like the race. There is ten thousand that do. The sound of a vett 1000hp engine music. Do I like the races no but that's what they do. Don't like it move back to the States.

norte - 8-31-2019 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
For every one that does not like the race. There is ten thousand that do. The sound of a vett 1000hp engine music. Do I like the races no but that's what they do. Don't like it move back to the States.

Since you don't like the races, follow your own advice. I was asking why two races that appear to be the same.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!

thebajarunner - 8-31-2019 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Since you don't like the races, follow your own advice. I was asking why two races that appear to be the same.

David K - 8-31-2019 at 09:10 AM

Score needs to have 4 races... it seems?
They used to run at least one race in the States but between insurance costs and whatever else, no more... only Baja now. They had a race near Rosarito Beach a couple of years and for whatever reason, that format didn't work. Ensenada loves off-road races so back to Ensenada they went. Apparently a 400-mile race was deemed most likable?

SCORE BAJA RACES:

San Felipe 250 (originally the Mexicali 250, one year was the Baja 250, in Ensenada)*

Baja 500 (originally the Baja Internacional 1974- about 1993)**

Baja 400 (new for 2019)

Baja 1000 ***

*The Mexicali based off road race was first known as the Hotel Lucerna 250 before Score became licensed to run all off road races in Baja back in 1974.

** The Baja 500 was created by NORRA in 1968 as a second race on the peninsula. It was a large loop starting and ending in Ensenada with Laguna Chapala being the southern-most point. The last NORRA 500 was in 1973 when Mexico took over. That failed after just one year, and SCORE was invited in to resume race organizing.

*** The first Baja race was in 1967 and called the Mexican 1000 and run by NORRA, however, most folks called it the Baja 1000. The race first started in Tijuana, then Ensenada, except in 1972 when it started in Mexicali. NORRA was removed from race operations after their 1973 Baja 500 (June) and Mexico's own Baja Sports Committee (BSC) took over and renamed the race Baja Mil (1000) for 1973. They mismanaged the money terribly and the racers who finished in La Paz didn't receive their winnings.
When BSC tried to run a Baja 500 in June, almost nobody came. In a quick response to this disaster, the governor and others contacted Mickey Thompson and asked if his new SCORE organization would run the races in Baja. The 1974 (July) Baja Internacional was a huge success. It moved to June the following years and once the Baja 500 name was legally available, changed the race name back to what everyone called it, anyway.

thebajarunner - 8-31-2019 at 10:22 AM

David
I ran 3 Mexican 1000s
and 7 Baja 1000s

I never once heard it called "Baja 1000" until after the BSC fiasco (which I ran, finished 4th in pickup class, did not get paid for a year)

The only reason they called it "Baja" 1000 is that NORRA would not release the name. I never saw a Baja 1000 t shirt, poster or any other suggestion of the name prior to the big bust-up in 1973,

bajatrailrider - 8-31-2019 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Because they do what they do that is your answer.

David K - 8-31-2019 at 11:51 AM

Not officially, but casually it was the Baja 1000 before 1973. I think maybe ABC Wide World of Sports and Sears tire ads even? However, I was between 10 and 15 during those years, so my memory may be off?

mtgoat666 - 8-31-2019 at 11:52 AM

I think a majority of people in baja have zero interest in racing.
Mor0nic fans tend to flock together with other mor0ns, and easliy confuse their smelly flock with popularity.

TMW - 8-31-2019 at 12:31 PM

Obviously you have never been to a Baja race.

Keyboard cowboys should stick to what they know about

thebajarunner - 8-31-2019 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Mor0nic fans tend to flock together with other mor0ns, and easliy confuse their smelly flock with popularity.

You have never experienced this so you have no idea what you are talking about (not that that ever prevents you from chiming in)

One of the reasons I retired after 12 years was that it was getting too popular with the locals. Ensenada is insane race week. The locals line the roads everywhere. The most frightening thing I have ever done is drive flat out through a tunnel of people. The local merchants ring the registers at record pace.

Stick to your keyboard, don't fall off your stool.

PaulW - 8-31-2019 at 01:41 PM

Financial gain for local towns means off road racing will be around for a very long time. The majority of local businesses get their income from event to event and a race is one of the big profit events. Of course the local population do love the races and to travel a long ways to sit beside the race track. Are those people the majority of the population - NO, but their spending makes it all happen.
As far as the 400 vs 500 that came about because of major event in Ensenada and SCORE had to make do with less miles. I expect all will be normal next year.

bajatrailrider - 8-31-2019 at 02:22 PM

. I think stupid tourist from San Diego with zero experience here. Should ask for info about what happens in a country you do live in. Let alone give info.

bajatrailrider - 8-31-2019 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Not officially, but casually it was the Baja 1000 before 1973. I think maybe ABC Wide World of Sports and Sears tire ads even? However, I was between 10 and 15 during those years, so my memory may be off?
. They are using same course in San
Vicente as last race few months ago. I ran it in my 4x4 bronco iat night in one sharp to turn big hole. No speed there for Boulders both sides. talco powder so deep. The bronco rear diff high centered . Both wheel off ground. Got out locked in hubs took off. I will try in my off road pre runner as long. As another truck with tow strap. . At all last race most all got stuck there. All bugs stuck some of the million dollars rigs made it.

David K - 8-31-2019 at 02:52 PM

Financial gain for local towns means off road racing will be around for a very long time. The majority of local businesses get their income from event to event and a race is one of the big profit events. Of course the local population do love the races and to travel a long ways to sit beside the race track. Are those people the majority of the population - NO, but their spending makes it all happen.
As far as the 400 vs 500 that came about because of major event in Ensenada and SCORE had to make do with less miles. I expect all will be normal next year.

The 400 did not replace the 500, it replaced the Desert Challenge, out from Rosario & Tijuana. It was the Imperial Valley race before that.

bajatrailrider - 8-31-2019 at 04:51 PM

What with there map not even close to the route. Maker 270 come into Cerro Solo from South. That route is Moto only nothing on 4 wheels can go past there. The only road the 4 wheels use comes from East West into Cerro Solo.

mtgoat666 - 8-31-2019 at 07:00 PM

You have never experienced this so you have no idea what you are talking about (not that that ever prevents you from chiming in)

One of the reasons I retired after 12 years was that it was getting too popular with the locals. Ensenada is insane race week. The locals line the roads everywhere. The most frightening thing I have ever done is drive flat out through a tunnel of people. The local merchants ring the registers at record pace.

You incorrectly conflate a large crowd with a majority of the population. If you take the lowest 10% of the population (I.e. the mor0ns) and put them along the race course, you may imagine that all of Ensenada-Tijuana is there to worship you. You are wrong.

David K - 8-31-2019 at 07:38 PM

What with there map not even close to the route. Maker 270 come into Cerro Solo from South. That route is Moto only nothing on 4 wheels can go past there. The only road the 4 wheels use comes from East West into Cerro Solo.

Maybe for fun, go down there and see how the pre runners handle it this weekend? Take your camera!

bajatrailrider - 9-1-2019 at 12:19 PM

David are markers already out? If so I only take pictures with cl phone. Witch I give up moving to Baja nomad. If I get pictures you put them up. Need to know if markers are out. As the map score has our . Is total incorrect as no road in that direction they posted . Not even close to it.

David K - 9-1-2019 at 03:04 PM

The map is out which mean the markers are out because this weekend they will begin pre-running.

del mar - 9-1-2019 at 03:15 PM

The map is out which mean the markers are out because this weekend they will begin pre-running.

I believe pre running starts sept 7th

Bajazly - 9-1-2019 at 03:16 PM

Well, the map is out but the gps file is not and prerunning doesn’t open till the 7th. Doubt the course is marked yet, prolly do that end of the week.

David K - 9-1-2019 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

I believe pre running starts sept 7th

Ok, thanks for the correction. In the old days the coarse was marked when they mapped it. Everything is done on Google Earth now, lol.

bajatrailrider - 9-2-2019 at 02:43 AM

You incorrectly conflate a large crowd with a majority of the population. If you take the lowest 10% of the population (I.e. the mor0ns) and put them along the race course, you may imagine that all of Ensenada-Tijuana is there to worship you. You are wrong.
. . ............. . Just love it when the troll from San Diego talks . Stupid tourset your foot in your mouth again . Baja blow hard think before you write oh I forgot. Nothing going on up there just pop corn loser .:bounce: is

thebajarunner - 9-2-2019 at 09:14 AM

Larry, thanks for calling out the blowhard keyboard cowboy.
Having never attended a race event, nor participated, nor having a sniff of what it entails he pontificates about "conflating crowd numbers"
Pathetic!
You and I have observed many many events, seen the broad mix of spectators. Many of them young, even kids, lots of the younger set, and to call them "marooons"??? So sad. Dare I say even a touch racist??
You are right in calling him out for squawking from his perch in San Diego. His posts indicate a deep knowledge of other folks stories from Nomad, and very little first hand knowledge about anything south of border.

PaulW - 9-2-2019 at 10:45 AM

For the few years SCORE racecourse marking has been a last minute deal usually done 1 or 2 days before prerun starts.

bajatrailrider - 9-3-2019 at 07:13 AM

Thanks for that info on markers. I will then this weekend run the course In s.v. Area on dirt bike or my prerunner as long as David post pictures. Also show where score map wrong.

David K - 9-3-2019 at 09:29 AM

Thanks for that info on markers. I will then this weekend run the course In s.v. Area on dirt bike or my prerunner as long as David post pictures. Also show where score map wrong.

Yes my friend, I will post your photos! Heck, I still owe you for those vise grips that got me home! :biggrin:

bajatrailrider - 9-6-2019 at 10:48 AM

I went out yesterday for short off road run all markers up. . Same route again San Vicente. As last two races. will do run again with pictures

David K - 9-14-2019 at 11:39 AM

Should be very busy out from Ensenada this weekend!

John Harper - 9-15-2019 at 12:12 PM

There's a small (occasionally occupied!) house up the Arroyo San Rafael above MSR. Unfortunately, that's a real sensitive area where those rare trout live. Hopefully there won't be too much damage to the creekbed and minimal human debris, although I'm not very optimistic. God forbid some knucklehead starts a fire. There's a couple creek crossings below the falls and one at Las Truchas, so hopefully impacts will just be quick and temporary. Of all the possible places they have to race in Baja, I hope someone at least uses a modicum of common sense about this track.

I guess I'll find out next March/April.

John

[Edited on 9-15-2019 by John Harper]

David K - 9-15-2019 at 12:23 PM

Off Road races have passed through Mike's Sky Rancho since 1972... Sometimes twice a year. Not every year, but still that is history. A big fire was in the area in 2005 and other times, not at all related to off road races.
I want the trout and terrain to continue as they have, so we share that much in common.

StuckSucks - 9-16-2019 at 02:33 PM

2019 Baja 400 Course Map on Google Maps

David K - 9-16-2019 at 11:41 PM

Score course change!
At Mike's Sky Rancho, all classes will take the Sportsman's class shortcut. So, no more Las Truchas race course.
Just saw it posted on Facebook by Baja Pits.

John Harper - 9-17-2019 at 05:21 AM

Score course change!
At Mike's Sky Rancho, all classes will take the Sportsman's class shortcut. So, no more Las Truchas race course.
Just saw it posted on Facebook by Baja Pits.

Yah! Thank you!!!! My little trout friends are very grateful for not trashing their precarious slice of heaven.

John

David K - 9-17-2019 at 08:49 AM

I thought of you, John.

bajatrailrider - 9-17-2019 at 09:32 AM

I have been off road in that area since 1976 dirt bike and 4x4. As far as road destroy after race true. It does not even put a mark on the trail like mother nature. As there is always a big rain you would only know if you spent time there. The big down pours have caused canyon roads and roadless areas. To total different land scape Even when we ride a animal trail . After big down pour the whole canyon now 20ft deep and 20ft wide canyon . Landscape changed by mother nature. So now Im sure the blow hards will chime in. Of course they have never been there so save your useless chair talk. Get out and enjoy the great outdoors.

John Harper - 9-17-2019 at 11:25 AM

I thought of you, John.

I appreciate that, thank you!

John

Don Pisto - 9-17-2019 at 12:16 PM

course change....

David K - 9-17-2019 at 02:32 PM

From Fishgistics:

I think there was a little confusion about how much of the course was changed by SCORE for the Baja 400. They only cut about 12 miles or so off. All classes now take the blue sportsman shortcut in this picture. There is NO speed limit for this section so ignore that part of this picture. You still go up Mikes road and such.

Baja 400 change.jpg - 82kB

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by David K]

John Harper - 9-17-2019 at 04:02 PM

Yes, there is a gnarly drop off into the creek up at the crossing where Rancho Las Truchas is. It's almost vertical about 20' down to the creek, looked like easy place to roll over into the creek below. You could do it on a bike, but I could see a big backup because you'd have to come to a
near stop likely to cross there with a 4 wheeled vehicle. Not like blasting across the creek down by Mike's. Not at all.

A wrecked vehicle there with spilled gas and oil into a tiny creek at seasonal minimum flow would be catastrophic for the trout population.

John

Video clip from the section that has been eliminated:

David K - 9-18-2019 at 12:50 AM

[Edited on 9-18-2019 by David K]

David K - 9-20-2019 at 05:34 PM

Tomorrow is race day!

David K - 9-22-2019 at 12:12 PM

Several Trophy Trucks finished close together. Cameron was just 4 minutes behind the winner but that got him just sixth place.

ehall - 9-22-2019 at 12:21 PM

What a great race. Bikes 1x and 66x seconds apart most of the day.