BajaNomad

Attention if Flying in Mexico

LancairDriver - 9-12-2019 at 06:35 PM

Notice from the Baja Bush Pilots- Mexico is cracking down on some of their rules that have been ignored in some cases. It would be best to pay attention to their latest warnings. Here is the link.

https://www.bushpilotsinternational.com/documents/The_Hammer...

DawnPatrol - 9-13-2019 at 04:33 PM

Didn't read all the link, but we had a Charter from Brown Field Monday to go to Cedros, through Cedros Outdoor Adventures, and they had to scuttle the flight and now we are going across the CBX bridage Monday and flying out of TJ on a Mexican registered plane.

All Cedros Adventure told us was that only Mexican registered planes can now fly into Cedros?

Your link looks a bit more detailed/complicated.

The original plan was out group to fly out of Brown and then clear Customes in San Felipe before flying to Cedros

Alan

LancairDriver - 9-13-2019 at 06:17 PM

Your original flight sounds exactly like the type that is being targeted by this latest enforcement. That would be called a part 135 flight which means paying passengers. This is going to cause a big reduction in flights to Baja. There are very few airfields that are licensed in Baja now. Those that have airfields simply can’t justify the costs of licensing. Baja is changing rapidly, and some think not for the better. Less fish, more people, and more restrictions in general. I wish Skeet was still posting here to tell us we simply don’t know where to go. At least we could keep busy looking.

[Edited on 9-14-2019 by LancairDriver]

Bajazly - 9-13-2019 at 07:00 PM

Point to any problem and you are assured to be less than seven steps, probably more like 2, away form the root of the problem, being way too many people.

shari - 9-14-2019 at 08:03 AM

This is a huge issue right now especially for the villages that have fly in fishing, surfing and a real blow to the Flying Doctors who cant visit us anymore as our air strip isnt licensed. It costs $12,000 dollars and mountains of paperwork, 6months of several trips to Mexico City and the strip is on ejido land so cost prohibitive.

We are working at getting meetings with government officials and the military as well as tourism operators to get a sense of the economic impact of this crackdown. Places like Asuncion, Abreojos, BOLA, Cedros & Isla Natividad etc. will suffer.

My understanding is that a local airline charter made a big stink about private planes flying people in instead of using their service...follow the money.

[Edited on 9-14-2019 by shari]

LancairDriver - 9-14-2019 at 11:08 AM

Great job of putting this action in perspective from someone who is directly impacted by this Shari. Good luck in your efforts to point out the impact on the people of Baja to the government.

AKgringo - 9-14-2019 at 11:39 AM

Do you think that this is linked to any enforcement action to limit the options for cartel or private drug activities?

I am not a pilot, is there a convenient list of airstrips that are still legal?

LancairDriver - 9-14-2019 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Do you think that this is linked to any enforcement action to limit the options for cartel or private drug activities?

Yes, this started to ramp up immediately after 9/11

I am not a pilot, is there a convenient list of airstrips that are still legal?[/ quote

Yes, the Baja Bush Pilots publish the list of current licensed airstrips which have become increasingly hard to find, mainly because of the expense and paperwork involved which Shari pointed out.

DawnPatrol - 9-14-2019 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
This is a huge issue right now especially for the villages that have fly in fishing, surfing and a real blow to the Flying Doctors who cant visit us anymore as our air strip isnt licensed. It costs $12,000 dollars and mountains of paperwork, 6months of several trips to Mexico City and the strip is on ejido land so cost prohibitive.

We are working at getting meetings with government officials and the military as well as tourism operators to get a sense of the economic impact of this crackdown. Places like Asuncion, Abreojos, BOLA, Cedros & Isla Natividad etc. will suffer.

My understanding is that a local airline charter made a big stink about private planes flying people in instead of using their service...follow the money.

[Edited on 9-14-2019 by shari]

I am so sorry to hear about this Shari... there's a lot of people with good intentions being penalized
Alan from San Diego