BajaNomad

Otay Mesa Airport Crossing

Robinhood - 9-17-2019 at 06:57 AM

Im planning to meet my Son at the Tijuana Airport and am having him take an Uber to Otay Mesa where you can park and pay to walk across. What do we need to know to make it an easy deal for him?

Alan - 9-17-2019 at 08:10 AM

He doesn't need an Uber. He is landing at Otay Mesa. All he has to do is get off the plane and follow the signs to CBX (Cross Border Express) which is at the baggage claim area. There he just purchases his ticket to cross and follow the corridor to US Customs. Once he is through there he just walks outside to where you should be waiting

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by Alan]

Alan - 9-17-2019 at 08:23 AM

I'm sorry, I just re-read your post. I just assumed it was northbound!

Southbound:
Take Uber to CBX at Otay Mesa. Check in with your airline. If he has pre-purchased his CBX pass when he purchased his flight all he has to do is complete the IMN form. There is a counter that has passport readers that will scan your passport and fill out the form automatically or complete it with a pen. Next buy ($15?) or present his CBX pass and head down the corridor. At the other end, present his completed FMM and passport to Mexican INM officer. If his stay is 7 days or less he will direct him forward to Mex. Customs to play red light/green light then on to his boarding gate. For stays over 7 days he will be directed to the bank window which is right there to pay for his FMM (about $26) and return and present receipt to INM officer.

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by Alan]

Alan - 9-17-2019 at 08:30 AM

OMG! Its too damn early!!!

Again assumed he was flying south to meet you :mad::mad:

Go to Otay Mesa
Buy CBX ticket to cross
Complete FMM form
Follow corridor
Present to INM, pay if needed
Play red light/green light
Exit airport to meet you.

I'm going back to bed

JZ - 9-17-2019 at 08:45 AM

Your post is a little ambiguous on what you are doing exactly.

You can buy the CBX pass ahead of time when you get your tickets from the airline.

[Edited on 9-17-2019 by JZ]

AKgringo - 9-17-2019 at 08:46 AM

Alan, good effort, but it is not necessary to 'troll' yourself. There are plenty of us of out here willing to jump in and criticize your mistakes! :tumble:

Alm - 9-17-2019 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
OMG! Its too damn early!!!

Again assumed he was flying south to meet you

... and it is still not clear whether he was or was not going to fly (out of TIJ). The only thing clear was that they were going meet at TIJ.

Nikno - 9-17-2019 at 06:03 PM

One thing to know is that you can only use CBX if you have a boarding pass. You cannot cross just to meet someone. You can only cross going southbound if you have a boarding pass for a flight leaving Tijuana that same day. You can only cross northbound if you have arrived on a flight into Tijuana that same day and you must show the boarding pass. It is not a regular border crossing. It is privately funded and the deal they have is that only people flying can use it.

Alan - 9-17-2019 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nikno  
One thing to know is that you can only use CBX if you have a boarding pass. You cannot cross just to meet someone. You can only cross going southbound if you have a boarding pass for a flight leaving Tijuana that same day. You can only cross northbound if you have arrived on a flight into Tijuana that same day and you must show the boarding pass. It is not a regular border crossing. It is privately funded and the deal they have is that only people flying can use it.
Now that is good information! Thank you. I had never really thought about it but you're right and they do ask to see boarding pass. Actually great new as it keeps this crossing quick and easy if you fly. I use to hate coming northbound before CBX.