BajaNomad

Military check point at San Ignacio

richfulf - 10-1-2019 at 02:30 PM

At the military check point in San Ignacio on Sunday they ordered me to empty my pockets and proceeded to thoroughly inspect my wallet (??) then did a pat down of my pockets. I did not lose anything and was not physically harmed but watch out for these guys, I believe they are up to no good.

mtgoat666 - 10-1-2019 at 02:42 PM

If you dont complain to military, fonatur and local govt, they will not stop.
People in charge dont read this forum, so posts here are not informing govt people that care.

JZ - 10-1-2019 at 03:52 PM

What the f is going on there.

chippy - 10-1-2019 at 04:12 PM

Probably alot of bad drugs.

Lee - 10-1-2019 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by richfulf  
At the military check point in San Ignacio on Sunday they ordered me to empty my pockets and proceeded to thoroughly inspect my wallet (??) then did a pat down of my pockets. I did not lose anything and was not physically harmed but watch out for these guys, I believe they are up to no good.

They profile. What's your profile? Surfboard on top, solo, long hair, etc.?

Mother of Dragons - 10-1-2019 at 07:35 PM

So when I drive through as a single American woman what will I project as a profile? I wonder.

Lee - 10-1-2019 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  
So when I drive through as a single American woman what will I project as a profile? I wonder.

In MX, gringas get the breaks. The boys see them as Goddesses. Nice.

Nikno - 10-2-2019 at 10:14 AM

It was my understanding that they are not supposed to/ are not allowed to search your body at the military checkpoints. Obviously there are no written laws or rules on this and they can pretty much do what they want. I remember reading an article that stated that if they suspect you of something and want to detain you or search your body then they have to call the Federales. But obviously this is just based on hearsay and I can't locate the article anymore.

I don't know how many checkpoint I've been through but it's well over 100. My car has been inspected or searched about 30 times. About 5 of those were very thorough searches (2 of them at San Ignacio). Never have I had a body search or been asked to empty my pockets.

Who has been subjected to a body search at a military checkpoint in Baja, when and where was it and what were the circumstances?

Does anyone know if there are any sort of written rules or a code of conduct for the soldiers at these checkpoints? It seems to me that this would be a good thing to bring up with the tourism authorities.

David K - 10-2-2019 at 10:36 AM

Never a body search in all my years of Baja travel since these checks began.

Lee - 10-2-2019 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Never a body search in all my years of Baja travel since these checks began.

Me neither just hear about them mostly long time ago.

Does anyone know if this is military policy or rogue punks?

Anyone thinking about writing they are the military with guns and can do anything they want, skip it.

Whiskey Witch - 10-2-2019 at 02:20 PM

We drove through there Saturday morning with no issues. Short professional conversation: "Where are you coming from, where are you going? Vaya bien." We are a couple of mature adults in a station wagon.

bajabuddha - 10-2-2019 at 03:02 PM

Back in the late '90s my (then) employer was extorted mordida at the (then) SI checkpoint at the jct of Hwy 1 and the airport road. They'd recently commandeered the airport, and no more private plane travel there.

He spoke fluent Spanish having been raised silver-spoon by a Mexican nanny, so he protested the shake-down rather vociferously. An officer took a rifle and stuck it right in his nostril and said, "tiene armas, tiene poder!".

He paid the fine/bribe.

Lee - 10-2-2019 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Back in the late '90s my (then) employer was extorted mordida at the (then) SI checkpoint at the jct of Hwy 1 and the airport road. They'd recently commandeered the airport, and no more private plane travel there.

He spoke fluent Spanish having been raised silver-spoon by a Mexican nanny, so he protested the shake-down rather vociferously. An officer took a rifle and stuck it right in his nostril and said, "tiene armas, tiene poder!".

He paid the fine/bribe.

Were you there or is this story second hand?

Difficult for me to believe a military officer would do this. Even in the 90s.

bajabuddha - 10-2-2019 at 07:43 PM

Lee, you can believe me or not, I don't give flying fiddler's phuque either way. He told me, I repeated.

Live with it or not, amigo.

see ya

mtgoat666 - 10-2-2019 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

He paid the fine/bribe.

Were you there or is this story second hand?

Difficult for me to believe a military officer would do this. Even in the 90s.

Stories tend to grow and morph as the years pass by and/or the blood alcohol content increases.... 30 years ago, the reality is hazy,..

JZ - 10-2-2019 at 08:38 PM

Lee, you can believe me or not, I don't give flying fiddler's phuque either way. He told me, I repeated.

see ya

Not buying it either.

bajabuddha - 10-2-2019 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

see ya

Not buying it either.

F U 2 jizzy. It happened, take it or leave it. You above all are a puke in my eye, so FOD.

I guess since JJJ was disbarred, we have a new jury of ''prove and procure facts" have taken over.

pee off and die, trolls.

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by bajabuddha]

JZ - 10-2-2019 at 10:02 PM

F U 2 jizzy. It happened, take it or leave it. You above all are a puke in my eye, so FOD.

I guess since JJJ was disbarred, we have a new jury of ''prove and procure facts" have taken over.

pee off and die, trolls.

Sober up. You've come at me a 100 times w/o provocation.

I say one thing to you that I believe and you flip your lid?

Act like an adult.

shari - 10-3-2019 at 09:44 AM

just an FYI..I took the bus to Ensenada last week and at the checkpoint north of Jesus Maria...they did the normal go through your luggage but now they have a spunky German Shepherd that they let loose in the luggage compartment. He was very interested in my tote that had freshly ground organic coffee!

David K - 10-3-2019 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
just an FYI..I took the bus to Ensenada last week and at the checkpoint north of Jesus Maria...they did the normal go through your luggage but now they have a spunky German Shepherd that they let loose in the luggage compartment. He was very interested in my tote that had freshly ground organic coffee!

Are you SURE it was COFFEE? LOL :lol::cool:

Lee - 10-3-2019 at 10:18 AM

see ya

Whoa let's take a deep breathe. If BB had witnessed the encounter at the checkpoint personally, I would have believed him.

Since the employer was describe in negative terms (nanny, silver spoon, arguing vociferously), I thought this story might have been embellished -- by the employer.

Not a big deal. Worked up over nothing, BB. I'm not the enemy.

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 11:01 AM

At a check point North of Hermosillo in Sonora they have had an x-ray machine for about 10-15 years.

Have had to put my bags through it a few times when driving. Don't remember if there was a dog or not.

Never ride the bus, but think they make everything on the bus go through it. My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by JZ]

shari - 10-3-2019 at 12:28 PM

My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

Radios raise a red flags as they are suspicious things as the military says they are used by smugglers to radio other bandidos about routes and checkpoints. You are supposed to have permits for them.

JZ - 10-3-2019 at 12:42 PM

My friends ride the bus sometimes. They had VHF radios in a cooler once. Military asked them tons of questions about why they had the radios.

Radios raise a red flags as they are suspicious things as the military says they are used by smugglers to radio other bandidos about routes and checkpoints. You are supposed to have permits for them.

Yeah, exactly. That's what they were hassling them about.

They are boat captains. They were coming to Baja for a boating trip. Don't think you need a permit for a marine VHF radio.

Mr. Bills - 10-3-2019 at 01:47 PM

Does one need a permit for a CB, ham radio, or FRS/GMRS handhelds? What are the rules in Mexico?

I'm traveling with a group of vehicles in December/January that are all normally equipped with both CB and ham radios. Several in the group routinely carry one or more handhelds "just in case."

I know that the reciprocal amateur radio agreement between the U.S. and Mexico has expired and no "traveling" call signs have been issued by the Mexican government for many years. We have heard that the Mexican authorities in Baja pay little or no attention to ham radios, but the posts above suggest that we may have bad information.

What is the true state of affairs with respect to CB radio and ham radio in Baja?

If a permit is required, what is it called and where does one obtain one?

Thanks

[Edited on 10-3-2019 by Mr. Bills]

Bajazly - 10-3-2019 at 02:02 PM

All race teams use the commercial, ham, radios down here. If it were a problem the govt would certainly put their hand out to that crowd.

I got hassled about the one in my truck at a surprise stop out in the desert while I was out there riding around by myself one time. Told them it was for the race car and they were fine with it.

matthew_mangus - 10-4-2019 at 07:32 PM

We were traveling in a group of overland rigs connected via Ham radio last Feb and we had one joker cracking Trump jokes over the radio while my truck was being thoroughly searched at the San Ignacio checkpoint. The guards were laughing at the jokes and didn't seem to care about the radios.

[Edited on 10-5-2019 by matthew_mangus]

Bob and Susan - 10-5-2019 at 11:39 AM

Friday ...san Ignacio check point...normal...no problems

very respectful and professional

thebajarunner - 10-5-2019 at 11:45 AM

We always use CB units when making our annual trek
Anywhere from 2 to 5 vehicles, depending on the group
We have a rigid rule
Approaching any checkpoint "RADIO SILENCE GENTLEMEN!!!"

No reason to raise eyebrows with random voices coming into the scene!!

And, we have used these for the past 22 years of annual visits with never a question from any authority.

What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts

fire - 10-6-2019 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whiskey Witch  
We drove through there Saturday morning with no issues. Short professional conversation: "Where are you coming from, where are you going? Vaya bien." We are a couple of mature adults in a station wagon.

I will be traveling alone, recommended?

vandy - 10-6-2019 at 06:18 PM

In my 20s, 30, 40s and now 50s I have never had a major problem at a checkpoint.

They do, however, always want to buy CO2 bb pistols, pellet rifles, binoculars, and camping gear.

In 1999 in Quintana Roo, Yucatan peninsula, I was doing a long drive back to the States, on my way back from Honduras.
I came to a remote army checkpoint where the soldiers started bidding up my ghetto blaster and cassette tapes.

I said the hell with it, and proceeded to unload my tent, sleeping bag, tarps, scuba equipment, speargun, gasoline stove, pressure cooker, folding table, backpacks, flashlights, batteries and who knows what else.

They gave me reasonable prices, and my 1986 Ford Taurus had a lot more room in it.

vandy - 10-6-2019 at 06:24 PM

What was really funny was that the checkpoint went unmanned for 45 minutes while we haggled.
Every soldier wanted in on it.

I still sell off my easily-replaceable gear when I head north, or donate it to Mexicans. It's great to see ranchers and farmers mending fences wearing my old Hawaiian shirts.

AKgringo - 10-6-2019 at 07:42 PM

Quote; "What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts"

Fire, it has been 20 years since I passed through a checkpoint with someone else in my car (except for a dog). It is not something I worry a lot about. I have rarely had them search anywhere out of reach from the driver's seat, and I have never been physically searched!

[Edited on 10-7-2019 by AKgringo]

Howard - 10-6-2019 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote; "What sort of luck do you expect a guy in his 40's alone to have at these checkpoints? lend me your thoughts"

Ditto what AK said. Many times solo over the last 20 years sometimes with a large dog and I find the stops completely safe and have never felt threatened or hassled.

ReTire - 10-31-2019 at 09:33 PM

During my solo trip down to S of Loreto earlier this year, the San Ignacio checkpoint was the only one I had any hassle with. I did get shook down for a fishing lure! He tried to get 3 from me. And was admiring some cookware I had on board.
I did register a complaint to the commandants email address that was posted on the sign that stated “Dear traveler, we hope that you were treated with respect.....blah, blah, blah”
On my return North I was wondering what would happen at that checkpoint. Treated professionally, quickly and then on my way.
I was traveling alone (maybe that’s a flag to some of the military)

David K - 11-1-2019 at 08:17 AM

In 2015, my wife and I (in our late-fifties then) in my Tacoma were harassed at that checkpoint (the first-ever for me and not again since). I wrote about it in that the July 2015 trip report. If we didn't love Baja so much, that would have been our last trip. It would have ruined any other couple from wanting to go back to Mexico we both felt. Too bad that has to happen.
As I said, I have been back through San Ignacio checkpoint (10 times) since the 2015 incident, and not one problem.

K7BVT - 11-1-2019 at 09:53 AM

Licensed US amateur radio operators (hams) require a Mexican permit to operate legally there. I have obtained the permit from the Mexican communications office near the police station in Ensenada, cost about US$60. At one time SCORE purchased radio permits for the races. Radio silence at check points is a good idea.

Mr. Bills - 11-1-2019 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by K7BVT  
Licensed US amateur radio operators (hams) require a Mexican permit to operate legally there. I have obtained the permit from the Mexican communications office near the police station in Ensenada, cost about US$60. At one time SCORE purchased radio permits for the races. Radio silence at check points is a good idea.

How recently did you do this?

According to the ARRL website on 11/1/19,

Quote:

Mexico (XE)

There have been significant changes in Mexico’s telecommunications structure. CoFeTel has been replaced by a new telecommunications agency - IFT. At this time there are no procedures in place for US licensees (or those from other nations) to obtain a valid license in Mexico or to operate under a reciprocal agreement.

pacificobob - 11-1-2019 at 05:15 PM

I have been under the impression that all hand held radios required a permit.

K7BVT - 11-1-2019 at 09:29 PM

More than 10 years since I got a XE2 permit. A Mexican ham told me their government doesn't enforce communication laws because they want tourist money. Too bad we don't have reciprocal licensing.

thebajarunner - 11-2-2019 at 12:11 PM

We generally travel with between 2 and 5 vehicles on our annual trip.
Always use CB units, every vehicle is on and checked regularly.
Never had a question or a comment

But, we have a firm rule
RADIO SILENCE UNTIL THE CHECKPOINT IS PASSED!!

Went through the SI checkpoint a couple times last year
It was a bit of a backup, but nothing out of the ordinary and a very quick look around and gone.

4x4abc - 11-2-2019 at 03:12 PM

Mex government does not care about CB.
It is the professional frequencies that can get you in trouble
like driving on the beach, many rules are rarely enforced
but don't count on it

eguillermo - 11-4-2019 at 06:21 PM

Two thoughts, one on having a gun pointed at you at a checkpoint, and the other actually about San Ignacio:

-- More than once the guys that questioned me at SI were palpably young punks who asked whether I was transporting any mujeres and make references to masturbation. (I travel solo. No comment on the onanism).

-- Kayaking down the San Juan river in Nicaragua (I know, whole different country) I got a fully search, and then, proceeding around a bend in the river, another guard ordered me over for another search. While I drifted downstream a little trying to explain, he pointed a very large gun at me and said "VENGA. LA PUTA. AQUI!"

You let unprofessional nuts carry guns, and you'll get that once in a million times. That dude's story is not unbelievable.

norte - 11-4-2019 at 06:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Two thoughts, one on having a gun pointed at you at a checkpoint, and the other actually about San Ignacio:

-- More than once the guys that questioned me at SI were palpably young punks who asked whether I was transporting any mujeres and make references to masturbation. (I travel solo. No comment on the onanism).

-- Kayaking down the San Juan river in Nicaragua (I know, whole different country) I got a fully search, and then, proceeding around a bend in the river, another guard ordered me over for another search. While I drifted downstream a little trying to explain, he pointed a very large gun at me and said "VENGA. LA PUTA. AQUI!"

You let unprofessional nuts carry guns, and you'll get that once in a million times. That dude's story is not unbelievable.

Lots of people travel solo and do not get this kind of treatment. Must be something special about you.

eguillermo - 11-4-2019 at 06:27 PM

Well, there's a lot that's special about me :)

I only threw that detail in for context and complete information, not to suggest anything in particular. Calm down buey.

msteve1014 - 12-5-2019 at 05:37 AM

went to San Javier for the fiesta. was waved by, south and north bound at S.I. and Loreto checkpoints.

BajaTed - 12-5-2019 at 02:51 PM

The "punyatera" song is very funny.

BajaBlanca - 12-6-2019 at 07:31 AM

We still don't have a definitive answer on Can they peruse the wallet?

greasecoyote - 12-7-2019 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Are you asking if they can search your wallet? I would think they can. But I don't think they often do. I've had them ask me to empty the contents of my pockets onto a table in one of the more thorough searches they did. That was when the drug war was still in full swing though, I'm not sure if they still do that as often.

David K - 12-8-2019 at 12:11 AM

In all my Baja years, never searched my wallet or pocket contents. In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

Mr. Bills - 12-8-2019 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

At the risk of sounding facetious, soldiers carrying automatic weapons can search anything they want.

Is it proper for them to search a tourist's wallet at a checkpoint without reasonable suspicion of a crime? Probably not, but constitutional protections in Mexico have historically been subject to local interpretation if you catch my drift.

mtgoat666 - 12-8-2019 at 05:59 PM

In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

Thank you for this current and relevant information!

David K - 12-8-2019 at 06:04 PM

Cherry picking again goat?

motoged - 12-10-2019 at 09:57 AM

No, probably not.....just reacting to your ubiquitous postings which point out your "me too" need to post often .

Is it just to keep your posting numbers up or the need to be included?

David K - 12-10-2019 at 10:11 AM

No Ged, the post numbers mean nothing to me and I would be thrilled if Doug just eliminated the user ranks here.

I post because it is fun to chat about Baja and I may add things to inspire more conversation if not simply to provide additional data that someone may appreciate.

Why not complain about goat who only added a post to jab at me, rather than to provide more on the subject? Why complain at all and instead just be happy that Baja Nomad is still online after more than 18 years!

Lee - 12-10-2019 at 10:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

No, probably not.....just reacting to your ubiquitous postings which point out your "me too" need to post often .

Posting an event that occurred 46 years ago is historically relevant. Nothing wrong with wanting to be included, either.

We're all cherry pickers to some degree.

With the advent of legal THC/CBD NOB, discretion is advised at the SI checkpoint. Everyone fits the profile.

JohnGaltSpeaking - 12-10-2019 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
In 1976, Federales searched my Jeep and my girlfriend's purse at our camp at El Requesón.

Thank you for this current and relevant information!

HAHAHAHA. not taking anyone's side on this, this was just a funny comment.

mtgoat666 - 12-10-2019 at 01:15 PM

I dont have a cherry tree. Maybe i will plant one (i have space for 2 more fruit trees), but need a low chill variety that fruits well in san diego.

JZ - 12-10-2019 at 01:34 PM

It got me thinking about a hot girl from 1976, scantly dressed in a bikini top and bell-bottomed jeans in Baja, so I'll allow it. Pics would be appreciated, though.

[Edited on 12-10-2019 by JZ]

Paco Facullo - 12-10-2019 at 01:52 PM

Truth be told, David K's post about 1976 is relevant, as it shows just HOW often this occurs ...

David K - 12-10-2019 at 02:21 PM

It got me thinking about a hot girl from 1976, scantly dressed in a bikini top and bell-bottomed jeans in Baja, so I'll allow it. Pics would be appreciated, though.

No pants, sorry... That's her and I on the left side of this photo from the same trip. Here at L.A. Bay where fishermen were cleaning their catch. This was near the government trailer park close to today's Campo Archelon, July 1976:

Here she is posing for me at Puerto Escondido..

Scan0504.jpg - 209kB

One more of her at Bahía Concepción:

Scan0505.jpg - 146kB

[Edited on 12-10-2019 by David K]

David K - 12-10-2019 at 02:55 PM

Now if you want to see our prom photos, well I will need to dig more! LOL

JZ - 12-10-2019 at 03:16 PM

Thread just took a turn for the better.

Paco Facullo - 12-10-2019 at 03:44 PM

Now if you want to see our porn photos, well I will need to dig more! LOL

:o:o:O:O:o:o:O:O:?::?::?::?: Sure, why not ??

David K - 12-10-2019 at 03:48 PM

LOL, my hair was longer back then! Yes, I know you aren't looking at me in these photos, lol!

RocketJSquirrel - 12-10-2019 at 05:35 PM

Proof of God at work... :cool:
Sorry, didn't know David was in the photos.

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]