BajaNomad

El Cardon

fatchance - 10-8-2019 at 07:38 AM

Wondering if El Cardon trailer park in La Paz is still open. Not been there in years. No answer when I phone.

4x4abc - 10-8-2019 at 10:14 AM

never heard of it

sancho - 10-8-2019 at 10:55 AM

That takes me back, spent many nts. there, late '80's.
Spent time between Muertos Bay and the El Cardon,
loved my time there.
Was a manager guy, had one arm, there for yrs. Not
surprised few remember it, don't know what if anything
stands there now, went away maybe. 20+ yrs. ago

4x4abc - 10-8-2019 at 11:53 AM

where was it located?

David K - 10-8-2019 at 12:15 PM

A Google search show many links, may be out of business?... Here is a postcard they sold...

sancho - 10-8-2019 at 01:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
where was it located?

If one is at the very so. end of the Malecon, El Cardon was
approx. 7 blks. so. on that blvd. On the left or non bay side.
Was always full, seemed to be the only one in town.
Those were the good ole days, beer $3 dlls. a case.
I believe it closed early '90's. Memories

StuckSucks - 10-8-2019 at 02:17 PM

Fred Metcalf lists the place as closed permanently in 2004.

wiltonh - 10-8-2019 at 02:19 PM

I drove by last spring. The place is closed and gated but the buildings are still there. I stayed there several times but the last time was in 1989. It was not full when we were there and it appeared they were trying to make it into more of a party place.

The next time I drove by, which was in 2002 it was closed.

AKgringo - 10-8-2019 at 02:50 PM

A lot of decent RV parks are gone now. The convoys of motor homes and Airstreams seemed to peak out in the late 80's, but rising fuel prices, and more complex, and more expensive vehicles caused a lot of people to re-think how they wanted to vacation.

As the legion of RV drivers approached their golden years, they were not being replaced by a younger population. Bad press about Mexico may have discouraged potential first timers, but that would be a difficult statistic to correlate!

It is not just in Mexico, the same thing has happened in Alaska, and somewhat in Canada.

larryC - 10-9-2019 at 06:50 AM

El Cardon was pretty good but the best of all time was Rudy's El Sombrero. What a great guy. His camp ground was a little rustic but Rudy always welcomed you with open arms.

El Cardon campground

Ron_Perry - 10-13-2019 at 06:54 PM

I remember the Cardon campground well. Maybe stayed there last around 1995??? Once I talked to the owner....I think. Said he came to La Paz back in the 1940's!!! From Germany.
And another camp ground was just off of highway one heading towards Los Planes on the right.....cannot remember the name.
And speaking of old timers....does anybody remember the skinny/wiry old guy from Russian who use to launch you boat in Los Barriles with the canablized jeep? This was back in the 80's.