BajaNomad

Cancelling TIP (Bringing Boat out of Mex)

Pacifico - 10-20-2019 at 07:11 AM

Does anyone here have any personal experience with bringing a boat/RV/vehicle back north and cancelling their TIP? I could find very limited info on the search function...

I do know that you have to go to one of the Banjercito offices at the border.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated!

Santiago - 10-20-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Does anyone here have any personal experience with bringing a boat/RV/vehicle back north and cancelling their TIP? I could find very limited info on the search function...

Uh-oh, I drug mine north last week and never considered this issue. Curious on what you will find.

BajaTed - 10-20-2019 at 09:28 AM

The Latitude 38 magazine & website has lots of TIP tips

AKgringo - 10-20-2019 at 02:02 PM

I was reluctant to reply since you asked for personal experience, but do you need to cancel it? From what I could discover, the TIP for a boat is a flat fee which is good for ten years of multiple entries to Mexico.

If you intend to take the boat south again, you would need to renew the TIP sometime before ten years rolls around, otherwise it is just not valid anymore. Did I miss something?

www.marinadelapaz.com/faq/how-long-can-my-boat-stay-in-mexic...

[Edited on 10-20-2019 by AKgringo]

JZ - 10-20-2019 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

You can get a TIP/cancel a TIP at other place than the border.

For example, you can do it at Guaymas, which is a port of entry. I've done it there before. I'm sure Ensenada, La Paz, and Cabo are similar.

Pacifico - 10-21-2019 at 07:46 AM

Thanks everyone for the info! Lots of good info on the Latitude 38 website if you search.

Santiago, take a look on Latitude 38...there might be a solution for you if you want to cancel your TIP and the boat is already out of the country. Probably not a big deal if the boat if not going back to Mexico...There are lots of articles like this:
https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/best-solution-for-cance...

AKgringo, my boat is coming up on the expiration of the 10 year TIP. Since, no boat can have 2 TIP's, maybe I can cancel my current one before it expires and then renew with a new TIP and not have to bring the boat out of Mex? It would be great to be able to cancel one online...that would make it easy!

JZ, good info, thanks! That could help....I hate to drag the boat all the way back to the border if not necessary...

Bob and jane - 10-21-2019 at 09:12 AM

Please keep posting here as you go through the process. The TIP for our boat expires in one year. I had thought we could just go to La Paz (without the boat because our trailer would never make it) to renew. I guess that was going to be too easy. We turned in a TIP for a truck 6 years ago at the Banjercito office in Otay Mesa. It was quite easy. Not sure that has any relevance to boats and to 2019.

Pacifico - 10-21-2019 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and jane  
Please keep posting here as you go through the process. The TIP for our boat expires in one year. I had thought we could just go to La Paz (without the boat because our trailer would never make it) to renew. I guess that was going to be too easy. We turned in a TIP for a truck 6 years ago at the Banjercito office in Otay Mesa. It was quite easy. Not sure that has any relevance to boats and to 2019.

I'll try to remember to update.

I bet the process is similar as far as cars and boats go.

AKgringo - 10-21-2019 at 10:49 AM

The big difference between a boat, or auto T.I.P., is that for boats it is a flat non-refundable fee. For your car or truck, it is a flat fee, plus a refundable import tax that can only be collected by turning in the T.I.P.

www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html

[Edited on 10-21-2019 by AKgringo]