BajaNomad

Mexico’s Chocolate Clams Are Worth the Trip

HeyMulegeScott - 10-25-2019 at 08:32 AM

Smoked with compound butter look pretty tasty.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/mexico-s-chocolat...

BajaTed - 10-25-2019 at 11:21 AM

"Daniel" the deep diver of Coyote bay and provider of fresh chocolates. Tapatio and lime along with a Ballena of Pacifico. A view of the famous palm tree too.

HeyMulegeScott - 10-25-2019 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
"Daniel" the deep diver of Coyote bay and provider of fresh chocolates. Tapatio and lime along with a Ballena of Pacifico. A view of the famous palm tree too.

Perfecto.

Paco Facullo - 10-25-2019 at 06:41 PM

My first experience with almejas chockolate was back in 95 in La Paz.
After a late night of partying I was parked along the East end of the malecon in my motorhome and woke up hungover as a drunken sailor the morning after. Don't ask how I know....

Well, there just so happened to be a clam cart selling raw clams next to me. I scarfed down numerous delightfully tasty clams that morning.

Squeeze of lime and a splash of Tapatio and they went down SO FINE.
The clams were so fresh that when you squeezed on the lime they moved around in the half shell....

Damn sure cured my hangover !!!

Those are the kind of memories that Baja has to offers those that venture South of de border....

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by Paco Facullo]

chuckie - 10-25-2019 at 06:45 PM

Ihave eaten a gazillion clams over the past 30 years or so and prefer the lil "butter" clams over the Chocolates...jes sayin

bajabuddha - 10-25-2019 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Ihave eaten a gazillion clams over the past 30 years or so and prefer the lil "butter" clams over the Chocolates...jes sayin

Soak overnight in a bucket of seawater. Then brush-scrub the shells to remove crud. Place in large covered pot with 1/2 cup fresh water, 2 tbls butter, some chopped scallions and a minced clove of garlic. Place on med. temp, bring to boil....... wait for the ''popcorn popping'' to stop.... clams that ain't open, toss out. Serve with melted montequilla and some bolillos from your local panaderia to soak up all that wunnerful clam broth.

Or pasta w/ salsa crema and basil / tarragon or chowder or or or......

All them other clams you gotta clean and stuff.... :smug:

chuckie - 10-26-2019 at 02:46 AM

What Buddha Said...

David K - 10-26-2019 at 06:56 AM

Sounds great...
my memory of butter clams in camp is awakened. I also agree with chuckie, I did not enjoy the 'chocolates' over the butter clams.

'Debra' [aka 'Travelpearl'] (RIP) made the best clam chowder at Camp Gecko for the gang in July 2004 with a bucket of butter clams collected just south on the big sandy beach and from Puerto Don Juan (thanks to '4baja' Steve).

bajapedro - 10-26-2019 at 08:01 AM

this how I like to eat clams.
[img]http://IMG_6065 (2).jpg[/img]

IMG_6065 (2).jpg - 192kB

David K - 10-26-2019 at 08:17 AM

Reminds me of Joe's Crab Shack, only more and not in a bucket! Nice meal there, Pete!