BajaNomad

Portable compressor Options

caj13 - 10-26-2019 at 10:16 AM

allright, time to bite the bullet and get one. I used the search but can't seem to find the long discussion several months ago - I assume thats operator error on the search function.

so I'm thinking ViAir
is there other options I should be looking at.
I find 3 options I am interested in on viAir
The 88 - 20 amps 1.5 cfm 65 bucks
the 300 40 amps, 2.3 cfm 40 amp - 140 bucks
the 400 looks to be the same as the 300, but a nice carry bag? 175 bucks

really not looking for the cheapo Walmart harbor freight options looking for a durable hard worker that I will have for 20 years.

David K - 10-26-2019 at 10:22 AM

The MV-50 is not pricey ($85) but works well and fills my tires from 15 to 30 psi in 2.5 minutes, each. Just fyi.

my vote

John M - 10-26-2019 at 10:28 AM

I've had the Viair 400p for many years. The only issue was when I first used it, we aired up eight tires from 20 psi up to 35 psi - on the last tire, the o-ring just inside the hose (where it connects to the compressor) split. It does get quite warm at that point. Viair replaced the entire hose, and since we fixed the original hose I now carry a second hose, just in case.

John

Mr. Bills - 10-26-2019 at 10:43 AM

I have used many different 12v compressors through the years. Of all of them, the Viair 400 series has provided the best balance of performance and cost effectiveness.

I have a Viair 400P that I use for my Xterra and other vehicles and a Viair 400H hard mounted in my jeep.

If you have 33" tires or larger, the 400 series will be a better choice than the 300 series.

The 88P is the least expensive, but isn't really designed for larger tires. It will run very hot before you can finish four tires 31" or larger.

I am no fan of the ubiquitous MV-50 "cheap Chinese compressor." Performance is marginal compared to the Viairs and they tend to suck reed valves and self destruct.

Here is a link to my hard mounted compressor installation:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-simple-onboard-ai...

The Viair 400P is regularly on sale on Amazon. Input your search into camelcamelcamel.com and you can receive alerts when it reaches your target price. I paid between $150-160 for mine.

4x4abc - 10-26-2019 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
allright, time to bite the bullet and get one. I used the search but can't seem to find the long discussion several months ago - I assume thats operator error on the search function.

so I'm thinking ViAir

really not looking for the cheapo Walmart harbor freight options looking for a durable hard worker that I will have for 20 years.

cfm is the number you want to look for
anything below 3 cfm is not worth having for Baja sized tires

20 years?
consider this: none of the compressors have lubrication (pistons, rings etc)
ever tried to run your car engine without oil?
even running it only once a week for 20 minutes you won't get 20 years out of it

so, the bigger the piston of the compressor is - the better
bigger surface, bigger rings, less speed, less wear
higher volume of air in less time
spraying WD40 into the intake before every pump action will make the compressor run for many years

I won't get into the substandard wiring of most compressors

I bought a PUMA 20 years ago, always primed it through the intake, babied the cables, replaced the pressure switch twice - still pumping up big tires in no time

airingup800.jpg - 217kB

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by 4x4abc]

John Harper - 10-26-2019 at 11:54 AM

I've had no issues with my Viair 85P. I did toss in a couple battery clamps in case I ever have problems with the power port connector. I really like the screw on hose connector versus the lever type.

John

Mr. Bills - 10-26-2019 at 12:25 PM

Another tip for most 12v compressors is to ditch the yellow coiled hose in favor of something with standard fittings that isn't so stiff.

I use a Flexzilla 1/4" x 25' air hose with an open chuck.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexzilla-Heavy-Lightweight-Hybrid-Zi...

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Inflator-Compressor-Accessori...

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by BajaNomad]

del mar - 10-26-2019 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

so I'm thinking ViAir

cfm is the number you want to look for
anything below 3 cfm is not worth having for Baja sized tires

20 years?
consider this: none of the compressors have lubrication (pistons, rings etc)
ever tried to run your car engine without oil?
even running it only once a week for 20 minutes you won't get 20 years out of it

so, the bigger the piston of the compressor is - the better
bigger surface, bigger rings, less speed, less wear
higher volume of air in less time
spraying WD40 into the intake before every pump action will make the compressor run for many years

I won't get into the substandard wiring of most compressors

I bought a PUMA 20 years ago, always primed it through the intake, babied the cables, replaced the pressure switch twice - still pumping up big tires in no time

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by 4x4abc]

xlnt points that few would consider! :yes:

TacoFeliz - 10-26-2019 at 12:41 PM

4x4abc – what Puma are you using? In your post you liked pumps 3 cfm or more, but the 12 volt Pumas I see available max out at 1.36 cfm.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PD1012A-Air-Compre...

Mr. Bills - 10-26-2019 at 12:58 PM

Many sellers of 12v air compressors advertise the CFM at 0 psi, which is relatively meaningless. The MV-50 is rated at 0 psi, so is the Smittybilt unit.

The Puma compressor is rated at 2.0 CFM at 40 psi and 1.36 CFM at 90 psi.

The Viair 300 series is rated at 1.48 CFM @ 40 psi and 0.92 CFM @ 90 psi.

The Viair 400 series is rated at 1.75 CFM @ 40 psi and 1.28 CFM @ 90 psi.

The ARB "single" compressor is rated at 2.34 CFM @ 29 psi.

The ARB "dual" compressor is rated at 4.68 CFM @ 29 psi.

YMMV

JZ - 10-26-2019 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TacoFeliz  
4x4abc – what Puma are you using? In your post you liked pumps 3 cfm or more, but the 12 volt Pumas I see available max out at 1.36 cfm.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PD1012A-Air-Compre...

A Puma is way too big and overkill. You want one that pumps like crazy and fits in your the center console in your truck.

Here is what you want op. Thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/Inflator-Portable-Compressor-MasterFl...

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by JZ]

caj13 - 10-26-2019 at 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the inputs guys, it's been educational.
so after thinking about it, i'm going to go rouge. I bought one of those rechargable pistol grip units.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTGM2LD/ref=ppx_od_dt_b...

I like the idea of it not requiring the battery hook up, but I can run it that way. plus I really like the portability.

If i was getting a unit for my Land rover - with 33s and rhinorunnin then yeah, I would go ahead and get the ViAir 400. but for my ridgeline and tribute - I think this is all I need, and alot more convenient, and more useful around the house as well. Plus my wife will not be intimidated by it, thats always a plus

thanks again for all the info!

JZ - 10-26-2019 at 01:11 PM

so after thinking about it, i'm going to go rouge. I bought one of those rechargable pistol grip units.

I like the idea of it not requiring the battery hook up, but I can run it that way. plus I really like the portability.

If i was getting a unit for my Land rover - with 33s and rhinorunnin then yeah, I would go ahead and get the ViAir 400. but for my ridgeline and tribute - I think this is all I need, and alot more convenient, and more useful around the house as well. Plus my wife will not be intimidated by it, thats always a plus

Send that thing back asap. Get one that connects to your battery. That think is junk. You don't want junk when you are in the middle of Baja.

David K - 10-26-2019 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Send that thing back asap. Get one that connects to your battery. That think is junk. You don't want junk when you are in the middle of Baja.

Oh my, yes indeed. If it doesn't clip onto the battery, it cannot draw the amps needed for high flow. Plan on taking 6-10 minutes per tire instead of 2-3. I get that you may not want to spend $300 for a pump that is no quicker than the $85 one I mentioned. I also got a Harbor Freight one before the MV-50, it was also fast (2.5 min per tire), but got very hot and melted the fuse holder.

Mr. Bills - 10-26-2019 at 01:29 PM

. . . so after thinking about it, i'm going to go rouge. I bought one of those rechargable pistol grip units.

Send that thing back asap. . . . That thing is junk. You don't want junk when you are in the middle of Baja.

I agree. Cancel that purchase and get a tool rather than a toy.

If you want something small and relatively inexpensive for passenger car tires try this one for $62.03 on Amazon Prime, 1.47 CFM @ 0 psi/1.15 CFM @ 40 psi:

https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/d...

However, even though the 88P would be adequate for smaller passenger car tires, I would still recommend the greater capacity of the Viair 300P for offroad or Baja duty.

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by Mr. Bills]

[Edited on 10-26-2019 by BajaNomad]

4x4abc - 10-26-2019 at 01:43 PM

another word on cfm
we don't run our tires at 90 psi - so forget that number
very few of us run 40 psi on pavement, let alone off-road - so forget that number
you want to get quick from 10 to 20
or from 20 to 30

that's where you want your pump to deliver at least 3 cfm

the Puma does 4 cfm @ 20 psi and 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi

Mulege Canuck - 10-26-2019 at 02:01 PM

another word on cfm
we don't run our tires at 90 psi - so forget that number
very few of us run 40 psi on pavement, let alone off-road - so forget that number
you want to get quick from 10 to 20
or from 20 to 30

that's where you want your pump to deliver at least 3 cfm

the Puma does 4 cfm @ 20 psi and 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi

If you carry a lot of weight in your truck (ie a camper) you will need more air or your going to heat your tires up on the highway and blow a sidewall. I need 70 PSI for the highway and lowest I will go for sand is 30 PSI.

A Toyota is a bush go- cart. Lots of fun but you can’t put anything in them.

Don Pisto - 10-26-2019 at 02:10 PM

:lol: well this discussion on professional tools morphed into a discussion of crap......enter Don Pisto! on our 3rd MF1050 (we suspect what the MF stands for).....we like these little harbor "fright" guys, I swear they pump up 33's as fast as the "tsunami"and they're $25.
don't be like us buy a professional tool from the get-go. if its about bikes go with Larry, cars Harald!

4x4abc - 10-26-2019 at 02:41 PM

gotta love this group
poster asks for
"really not looking for the cheapo Walmart harbor freight options looking for a durable hard worker that I will have for 20 years."
then lets us spill our guts out
only to buy a vibrator at the dollar store

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2019 at 02:50 PM

I am pretty sure he was joking :lol:

caj13 - 10-26-2019 at 05:08 PM

Nope not joking. Its worth it to give it a try. I have 2 tires at home waiting to be aired up - and the unit just arrived via amazon same day free delivery. so I will know as soon as I charge it up if you guys are correct, or the 400 reviews on Amazon are closer to the truth.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by caj13]

JZ - 10-26-2019 at 05:25 PM

Op, don't ask for advice again if you don't intend to actually give it serious consideration. You made a very bad decision today.

caj13 - 10-26-2019 at 05:35 PM

Op, don't ask for advice again if you don't intend to actually give it serious consideration. You made a very bad decision today.

its called advise fior a reason, not a mandate. I think I ought to be the one who decides if I made a bad decision, you know, after I actually try it out!

you could very well be right, but I'll know soon -

Pacifico - 10-26-2019 at 05:43 PM

In other news, I work with a guy who always asks for advice and then does the complete opposite of the advice given. His nickname is: ASK-HOLE...

John Harper - 10-26-2019 at 05:53 PM

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Carl paid for it with his money, and is willing to try it out and give some feedback. I'm sure Amazon has a return policy if it's unsatisfactory.

No reason to be closed minded. We all might even learn something. The idea of a high quality cordless inflator does have some appeal. Maybe this is the one.

John

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 10-26-2019 at 06:18 PM

Nope not joking. Its worth it to give it a try. I have 2 tires at home waiting to be aired up - and the unit just arrived via amazon same day free delivery. so I will know as soon as I charge it up if you guys are correct, or the 400 reviews on Amazon are closer to the truth.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by caj13]

This is the one you should have bought:

BajaTed - 10-26-2019 at 07:03 PM

Surprised no one mentions a pressure charged Air Tank, used in conjunction with most any pump. Tank gives initial CFM needed, pump provides any tire pressure setting needed.

4x4abc - 10-26-2019 at 10:16 PM

I have followed discussions about tire inflation for 30 years

lotsa cool stuff and ideas out there
bicycle pumps (work great and fast), CO2 tanks, portable compressors, onboard compressors, (I love York compressors, cheap and 4 cfm!)

in the end, most seeking info buy the cheapest, smallest unit they can find
many buy a "good compromise"

I was a trail guide on the Rubicon Trail for 25 years and have found hundreds of broken down and thrown away compromises over the years

since airing up and down is the single most effective technique to improve driving on rough terrain (including extending the life of your tires) - a good quality high cfm compressor should be priority for every serious Baja traveler

John Harper - 10-27-2019 at 05:26 AM

Since airing up and down is the single most effective technique to improve driving on rough terrain (including extending the life of your tires) - a good quality high cfm compressor should be priority for every serious Baja traveler

For me, surprisingly, the most rewarding part of having one is the ability to help out others in need. Those folks in the 3 vehicles I helped out in Wyoming were eternally grateful. Nothing better than being well prepared.

John

caj13 - 10-27-2019 at 10:06 AM

Ok guys, heres some data:
smaller size trailer tires - 205 X 75 X 15. 1st one was completely flat - went from 0 to 35 lbs psi in 4:35 (min : sec) , not fast, I never expected fast, I was happy that the unit never got hot - barely warm .

the 2nd tire had 9 lbs PSI in it, it went to 35 Lbs PSI in 3:05 . not much in heat - still barely warm to the touch.

I particularly liked that I set the PSI, and it filled to that level automatically, then stopped. also the digital readout showed me the progress.

The thing is handy around the house, i can get air to various vehicles W/O needing to get them to my compressor. (the old I need to air up my tire so I can pull it up to the compressor conundrum.)

It is very useful on the FV race car, we spend a lot of time messing with air pressures, particularly during test days its a pain in the arse to keep pulling off the track into the garage pits , pull out stuff - check / adjust/ send back out. especially when run groups are only 20 or 30 minutes, you lose alot of that time getting on and off the track. . with this we can just pull into the hot pit, make quick adjustments, and back out. get in a lot more testing!

That being said - I think Haralds right, you do need a substantial compressor for exploring Baja, but I think that also depends on your own "level" of exploration!

4x4abc - 10-27-2019 at 10:58 AM

sounds all good

let us know how long it lasts

John Harper - 10-27-2019 at 10:58 AM

I have a couple questions>

How noisy is it to operate? Does it vibrate excessively?

How much battery charge did it take to fill everything up sufficiently? Did you notice any slowing near the end of use?

Is the base stable enough to let is sit on the ground? Maybe set on a board, would it vibrate off?

How well made is the hose connector? It looks like a lever type?

John

caj13 - 10-27-2019 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I have a couple questions>

How noisy is it to operate? Does it vibrate excessively?

How much battery charge did it take to fill everything up sufficiently? Did you notice any slowing near the end of use?

Is the base stable enough to let is sit on the ground? Maybe set on a board, would it vibrate off?

How well made is the hose connector? It looks like a lever type?

John

Hey John, it's not too noisy - all compressors make a racket! the vibration is more of a slight buzz, high Fx, low amplitude
it does sit just fine on its base

it is a lever type, everything i've used it on so far (3 trailer tires, 1 truck tire , 1 lawn tractor tire) it fits snug on the threads and locks down nice and tight.

so far, nothing to dislike, I am on my second charge, zi'll get a better feel for that as i move on!

caj13 - 11-10-2019 at 05:15 PM

OK just to update: I found another use. My motorcycles often sit for weeks or months on end, so when I pull em out they have mushy tires, having lost air slowly over time.

si I set the unit on 13 lbs - hook it to the stem, pull the trigger once, it shows 8.5 currently in the tire (or 9.5 in the rear) pull the trigger again, and 30 seconds later, the tire is filled to the proper pSI. a heck of alot quicker and easier that wheeling the bike to the compressor in the workshop, or pulling out the bike tire pump.

so far, I'm very happy with the purchase, its making life a bit easier , and is really convienient!

John Harper - 11-10-2019 at 05:51 PM

Nice update, Carl! How much power does it use to inflate 4 tires, say from 20 to 30 pounds pressure? Is there a duty cycle?

John

caj13 - 11-11-2019 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Nice update, Carl! How much power does it use to inflate 4 tires, say from 20 to 30 pounds pressure? Is there a duty cycle?

John

Hey John, I haven't tried that. obviously it will depend completely on the size of the tire, but I'll give that a try and report back.

Duty Cycle wise. does not seem to be. i just use heat as my guide, if a compressor gets uncomfortably hot, time to give it a rest. This unit, so far nothing beyond slightly warm, so i think its good on that front.

ReTire - 12-31-2019 at 12:52 AM

I know I’m late to this party, but here is my $.02
Costco has one for $35. I don’t remember what brand. It’s orange.
1st time I used it to air up my Jeep tires it was working great until the fuse for the cigarette lighter blew. When I got home I cut that end off and attached some proper battery clamps to it. Works great now.

ReTire - 12-31-2019 at 12:56 AM

PS, I’m gonna try the wd-40 trick too. Thanks for that.

ReTire - 12-31-2019 at 07:00 AM

PS, I’m gonna try the wd-40 trick too. Thanks for that.

Ken Cooke - 12-31-2019 at 02:17 PM

I have been running the ViAir Extreme since 2005 - double 350c 2.68 cfm compressors and a 2 gallon air tank. Airs up my 35s on par with David K's portable that airs up his 32s. Here is the link: Viair Extreme Duty Onboard Air System

Barry A. - 12-31-2019 at 05:18 PM

This site might help: ( ViAir is rated very good)

Personally, I have used a $300 12V QuickAir compressor for over 15 years, but they are not available anymore, I don't believe.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/stories/666-Top-Rated-a...

bajaric - 1-1-2020 at 09:50 AM

Another issue with compressors is the hose. I had a tire puncture, the low air alarm on my 2016 F150 went off (great feature and actually works unlike tire pressure sensors on other vehicles I have had) so I got it home, grabbed the compressor in the garage. It has an old long orange hose from Harbor Freight (translation: cheap garbage) and it was kinked and when I straightened it leaked. So then I grabbed the very old cheapo 12 volt I have, one of those black plastic things, and it did not work either! Went to Home Depot and got a Husky dual 12 volt / 110 volt job, fifty bucks. Seems pretty sturdy. Also has a nifty digital pressure gage that turns it off when it hits the desired pressure, took 3-4 min to fill a flat 17" truck tire.

Maderita - 1-1-2020 at 03:04 PM

bajaric,
Excellent point on the cheap self-coiling air hoses.
Usually bright yellow, and made of nylon, or other unknown Chinese plastic. They become brittle and are doomed to fail, (probably when you need it most).
Home Depot sells a repair kit for under $5
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-Piece-Hose-Repair-Kit-HD...
For my portable Viair 350C and 400P, and for my onboard ARB compressor, I carry backup hoses: 25' Goodyear rubber 1/4" hoses with the appropriate fittings. Make sure that the air fittings are compatible (industrial vs. automotive type). A "universal" air hose coupler accepts both types of male fittings.
Unless your pump has a pressure cut-off switch, you will want an "open-flow" air chuck. That prevents excessive back pressure to the pump.
My compressors are equipped with a small Viewtainer with repair parts, fittings, and 40 A fuses.
https://www.viewtainer.com/Viewtainer-Standard-Series-2-6-Co...