BajaNomad

Halfway Inn .. Guerrero Negro

greta-inbaja - 11-10-2019 at 07:40 PM

We stayed here a week ago with our dog. It was 40 usd incl tax. No fee for the dog. It is located off the main road near the military base. The parking is not locked but they insisted things would be fine, I think due to the location. We had a van full of “stuff” so parking a a concern of ours All turned out fine. The room was decent size. There was a refrigerator in the room. The bed was firm but comfortable. The shower was hot with decent water pressure. There was a big lot and other good spots to walk the dog. The bar onsite made a nice margarita. Well balanced. We only had soup and seafood c-cktail for dinner so we cant really comment on the restaurant. We would stay there again. The people running it were very friendly. Everything looked freshly painted. The rooms were set around a nice courtyard.

David K - 11-10-2019 at 07:42 PM

Thanks for the review.

advrider - 11-10-2019 at 09:36 PM

Good reviews..

David K - 11-11-2019 at 11:11 AM

It is interesting (and kind of sad) that the point of reference is a military base and not the 140 foot tall Eagle, now hidden by so many trees the base planted since it took over the traffic circle and museum that was there.

Here is the opening ceremony with the president of Mexico, Luis Echeverria, on December 1, 1973, at the quickly constructed monument...

It was such a major landmark for many years... The Auto Club had it on the cover of their Baja guidebooks...

Pacifico - 11-11-2019 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is interesting (and kind of sad) that the point of reference is a military base and not the 140 foot tall Eagle, now hidden by so many trees the base planted since it took over the traffic circle and museum that was there.

Here is the opening ceremony with the president of Mexico, Luis Echeverria, on December 1, 1973, at the quickly constructed monument...

It was such a major landmark for many years... The Auto Club had it on the cover of their Baja guidebooks...

Wow! Cool pic! I would have never pictured that many people there...

David K - 11-11-2019 at 03:18 PM

The president's groupies and hardhat wearing workers who must have been working on that eagle right up to that morning!
Just 5 months before, we drove past here and there was nothing yet started, not even a traffic circle or any building of the hotel or Pemex station. The paving north from Santa Rosalía ended about 30 miles to north of Guerrero Negro. They did so so much work between July and December of 1973! I am glad I documented it that summer!

Lee - 11-11-2019 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greta-inbaja  
We stayed here a week ago with our dog. It was 40 usd incl tax. No fee for the dog. It is located off the main road near the military base.

Better directions? Which side of the military base? On the road?

Usually stay at Terrasal. Is it as good as Terrasal?

David K - 11-11-2019 at 06:43 PM

It is on Hwy. 1, west side of eagle, it was the former El Presidente, then La Pinta, then Desert Inn...

greta-inbaja - 11-11-2019 at 07:12 PM

When heading south, it is tucked in on the right. It’s right off the round about. We originally thought of the Terrasol but I couldn’t get through on the phone and the website acted like they didnt have any rooms. Which giving the time of yr and day of the week I thought was probably not the case. So I went online and booked the Halfway Inn. I think I read about the Halfway Inn either on this forum or the Talk Baja FB page .. I did read a review that said they have a space available for parties, so if you are there during an event it can be very noisy.