BajaNomad

Dogs at Borders

Royosbaja - 11-14-2019 at 06:02 AM

I am sure this has been covered many times although I do not recall reading the posts.

Question for those of you traveling with your four legged family members:
Have you even been asked for a "health certificate" when entering back into the US of A via vehicle?

Thanks

Cappy - 11-14-2019 at 06:16 AM

Never.

pacificobob - 11-14-2019 at 07:02 AM

Yes. I actually had an officer at the tecate crossing complain the the health certificate was in Spanish.

bajapedro - 11-14-2019 at 07:05 AM

Have been taking dogs across boarder since 1994, only question I have ever been asked is, " what are their names."

AKgringo - 11-14-2019 at 07:33 AM

About five years ago I was crossing northbound at Tecate, and was asked for proof of vaccinations. I had the shot records, and a health certificate which he did not want to look at.

It was a slow day, with only one car ahead of me, and it seemed that he asked more questions than I usually have to answer.

Royosbaja - 11-14-2019 at 07:43 AM

I have paid the vet more than a couple times to perform a "check up" on my pooch in order to get the certificate, but have never been asked to present it at any border crossing.
Have always carried "proof" of vaccinations, but again, have never been asked for those as well.

Thanks for the responses.

I have often wondered what would happen if I was asked, but could not produce one, impound my furry friend? lol

AKgringo - 11-14-2019 at 08:04 AM

In addition to current vaccinations, you should have evidence of any parasite control that your dog may be using. Heartworms are a problem in Northern CA, so I have preventive medication for that, and carry flea and tick treatment with me. I have the vet include those on the health certificate examination.

bajabuddha - 11-14-2019 at 08:22 AM

We had a 120 lb. husky-shepherd-wolf, and the only questions ever asked were from the Checkpoint Charlies. They looked in the back of the pick-up and said, "Es bravo?" I would just shrug.

Inspection over.

55steve - 11-14-2019 at 09:06 AM

We move rescue dogs across the border and the ONLY certificate CBP is interested in is a rabies cert.

AKgringo - 11-14-2019 at 10:19 AM

The parasite control is what I have been told is necessary to take dogs into Mexico, but I have never been asked for anything S.O.B. since I started traveling with a dog!

Flying commercial into Mexico with a dog might be a different result, and I have not done that.

[Edited on 11-14-2019 by AKgringo]

Lee - 11-14-2019 at 10:38 AM

Never for a long time.

I do always have paper work in order and do expect to be asked.

bajamary1952 - 11-14-2019 at 10:43 AM

NEVER in the 10 years I've traveled both in Baja & Mainland. No one seems to bother older females traveling alone on both borders.

elskel - 11-14-2019 at 12:47 PM

Forty plus years, never been asked.

BajaMama - 11-14-2019 at 01:48 PM

You don't need a health certificate like Mexico does, BUT you do need at the very minimum your dog's rabies certificate. I also always brought a copy of all my dog's current vaccinations. Do they ask? Not yet, but I prefer to be prepared, and it is something you have anyway.

thebajarunner - 11-14-2019 at 03:16 PM

My dad took his pooch back and forth to Algodones on a weekly basis

Once the US border guard pointed at the dog and said...

"US citizen, I presume"

Lee - 11-14-2019 at 03:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Do they ask? Not yet, but I prefer to be prepared, and it is something you have anyway.

This is an assumption. It appears true for Nomads posting on this thread but may not be true for anyone else.

Howard - 11-14-2019 at 04:50 PM

All the above is accurate IF YOU ARE DRIVING.

Flying is a complete different story. Have your rabies certificate, health certificate and a letter that your animal is free of parasites. Once in a while they get a hair up there butts on the health certificate and parasite letter being older than 10 days.

Chances are close to nil getting anything asked for crossing northbound by car but why even think about it on your vacation? Just get er done and one less thing to think about.

Never crossed by foot with Fido.

Jack Swords - 11-15-2019 at 06:38 AM

Thank you Howard for posting. We have been asked when flying our dog for the health certificate, twice. Flying out of La Paz we either had to have the certificate or call a vet to come to the airport for whatever. Driving, we had the certificate to avoid any hassles or delays. Like having insurance. So far not needed.

RnR - 11-15-2019 at 07:37 AM

Sometimes when flying, it is actually the AIRLINE that is asking for the health certificate and not Mex/US customs. It seems that the airlines are trying to minimize their potential liability if something goes wrong.