BajaNomad

Mormon exodus

thebajarunner - 11-14-2019 at 05:50 PM

Hearing that a caravan of 100 has arrived in the US
Also hearing that their departure is causing a big gap in the local economy as businesses, farms, etc abandoned and locals suddenly out of work.

As a side note... related to Baja
In checking back on some of my old posts I note that years ago I had noted that I knew Alma LeBaron, owner of Viveros LeBaron in Aguas Calientes, Chi.
A few years ago I heard that Alma had relocated to a small farm just outside of San Vicente.

Trailrider…. you are the local SV guru. Ever meet up with him or know about this? Alma is a real classy guy.
Probably well up there in years by now.
Also wondering if all 4 wives came with him to Baja??

bajatrailrider - 11-15-2019 at 08:15 AM

Have to ask what guy has a name like Alma? Would he be in 80s South of town Rt side. About 5 miles out ?

thebajarunner - 11-15-2019 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Have to ask what guy has a name like Alma? Would he be in 80s South of town Rt side. About 5 miles out ?

Don't make fun of names..... some people think "Larry" is funny
(that was a feeble attempt at humor)

If you read the history of the Mormon colony there in the area you will see that a certain Alma LeBaron was one of the original founders, more than 100 years ago. I am assuming that my friend Alma was probably a grandson...

No idea where exactly he lives.
The place you describe is right close to Rancho Santa Marta, the orphanage and school for special needs kids. Drop by and ask Rod if he knows about Alma. Rod has been there for years and now runs the place since his father in law Bill Lawrence retired.
Tell Rod hi from his "Oakdale friend" We supply the trees for his fruit orchard.

bajatrailrider - 11-15-2019 at 06:17 PM

Ha ha still I know girls named Alma. I'm amigos with Rod and sons. We have rode dirt bikes together 😂. This Alma guy it would be past the rancho. I'm I correct he would be in his 80s

caj13 - 11-15-2019 at 07:04 PM

Alma is a character in the book of Mormon - high priest - also the supposed author of the book of Alma in the book of Mormon, which "documents" the war between the Lamanites and the Nephites

[Edited on 11-16-2019 by caj13]

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2019 at 04:33 PM

An exodus will certainly make a huge difference in the local economy. What a shame that this happened.

BajaMama - 11-21-2019 at 10:26 AM

The mormons in these communities are not what we could consider mainstream mormons. They are Fundamental LDS and practice mormon law as professed by Joseph Smith and Brigham Young - polygamists. And yes there are many of these communities in the USA too. They tend to alienate others in order to keep their practices as hidden as possible I can't imaging good Mexican catholics would approve). It is horrible what happened to them but I do wonder what the FLDS community did to pee off their cartel neighbors.