BajaNomad

Gooloo jumpstart battery bank - POS

caj13 - 11-24-2019 at 04:53 PM

Ok guys, based on feedback from people here, plus reviews, I pulled the trigger on a gooloo 1000 amp jump starter. originally, it was good, di the job etc. so it's been sitting in my vehicle for 6 months, needed it today - pulled it out - completely dead!
I had it completely charged up when i put it away. So i figure, OK I guess I need to check it more often to keep it topped up - but my other jumpstarters hold charges for well over a year (pulled one out to start up my bobcat after the goolooo crapped out!)

so I went to plug it in to charge it, it lights up, says the battery is low, and it's charging, followed 5 - 10 seconds later with the charging light going out, and the system apparently shutting down.

so to sumarize, my 30 dollar knock off works great - the gooloo - POS

4x4abc - 11-24-2019 at 05:25 PM

I have thrown more than one away

AKgringo - 11-24-2019 at 05:51 PM

Your post reminded me that there is a compact jump starter riding under the seat of my Kia. I used it a couple of times about a year ago, charged it up, and it has been ignored since then.

Three of the four lights were lit up, so it was good to go! I have it hooked up to top it off now, thanks for the reminder!

I got mine at Costco for about $60, it is the "TypeS" 10,000 mAh

advrider - 11-24-2019 at 05:55 PM

I have had the Costco one for about four years and used it about 6 times, and it's still going! Luck of the draw?

caj13 - 11-24-2019 at 06:05 PM

yeah it was my costco unit that saved my bacon! the Gooloo - good door stop, but a little light for a boat anchor!

caj13 - 11-29-2019 at 11:49 AM

Ok so I have been looking for replacements - seems to me the best comparative test i could find pretty clearly singles out the Audew brand as the best - the GB 40 Noco - tests out to be complete dog poo btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA&t=1162s

Mulege Canuck - 11-29-2019 at 06:49 PM

Since I have a battery bank and inverter in my camper, I carry a 110 volt battery charger. I had my alternator go one time. I just charged the battery overnight and ran the next day off the battery to get me to the next town.

John Harper - 11-30-2019 at 05:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Ok so I have been looking for replacements - seems to me the best comparative test i could find pretty clearly singles out the Audew brand as the best - the GB 40 Noco - tests out to be complete dog poo btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA&t=1162s

Well, I just used my GB40 to jump a fellow teacher's car a couple weeks ago, worked just fine after sitting in the truck for nine months without use or charge. We shall see.

My only complaint is the button seems easy to accidentally activate in the case, but I'll have to watch the video to see. I guess I could glue a hose washer around it to act as a guard against activation.

Or, maybe I'll "re-gift" it to my roommate and get an Audew. She lives in Baja so I'm sure it would get usage.

John

[Edited on 11-30-2019 by John Harper]

larryC - 11-30-2019 at 07:52 AM

I had/have the costco one and it sat in my truck for about a year and a half. I charged it occasionally but the first time I needed it it didn't work so I called the manufacturer and was told that it was 6 months out of warranty and they wouldn't replace it. Next time I went north I returned it to costco and they replaced it no questions asked. So I got another one from Costco. I now pay more attention to it and keep it charged.

motoged - 11-30-2019 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I have thrown more than one away

:lol:

I am currently working on my tan in Zipolite, Oaxaca....

... and overheard two tourist women talking about their sense of adventure: one woman was describing her friend as "the girl next door.... but is something else "in some situations". Her friend replied with a hearty laugh, " yes, and if I don't like something I will do it again several times just to make sure I don't like it....".

A great line. :cool:

Mr. Bills - 11-30-2019 at 10:46 AM

I have owned a Noco GB40 for several years, sourced from Amazon Prime. It holds its charge and has never let me down.

Hopefully that pattern will continue.