BajaNomad

How much do you love Sentri?

JZ - 12-2-2019 at 12:44 PM

We crossed about 4pm yesterday at Mexicali East. Passed a thousand cars.

Turned left into the Sentri lane. Two cars ahead of us. Less than 5 mins to cross.

Got damn, I love this thing. I recorded a track, I'll post it in a bit.

[Edited on 12-2-2019 by JZ]

Howard - 12-2-2019 at 12:47 PM

Are the directions the same for the Ready Lane?

JZ - 12-2-2019 at 12:58 PM

Yes. You just stay to the right, pass a million cars, then turn left into the Sentri lane.

ehall - 12-2-2019 at 01:26 PM

Anyone know the difference between sentry and global entry?

JZ - 12-2-2019 at 01:37 PM

We have GE. Both have the same benefits for the most part.

Sentri covers travel by land and plane, GE also covers by boat (cruise ship I guess?).

With Sentri, all your minor children are free. With GE everyone plays $100 (although several CC's reimburse you, e.g. Amex.) Sentri is $122.

The biggest difference is in eligibility:

GE:
U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, and select foreign nationals.

Sentri:
U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and all foreign nationals.

[Edited on 12-3-2019 by JZ]

Paco Facullo - 12-2-2019 at 02:01 PM

About four years ago when I went through the Sentri process they added Global Entry without me even asking ...

I guess they looked at my passport and saw it was full of stamps...

ehall - 12-2-2019 at 05:01 PM

Thanks JZ

Bajazly - 12-2-2019 at 05:09 PM

The last two times at Mexicali West I have waited longer for the light onto city streets right after the booth than getting to and thru the booth itself, the time before that was less than 10 minutes.

freediverbrian - 12-2-2019 at 10:16 PM

We have GE and love it SO nice to cross boarder when you want and not at the times when the wait time will be short. Gives an extra day and less stress.

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2019 at 12:11 AM

Priority queues are the wave of the future. Golden tickets for the haves, chitty service for the have-nots. Here are just a few of the places you can buy your way to the front of the line:
Sentri
Global entry
Political representation (do you trying your congressman will care about you, the common constituent, unless you contributed up to funding limit?)
Flight check in
Airport security line
Flight boarding priority
Disneyland lines
Six flags lines
Lexus lanes (express lanes for the wealthy, car-poolers be damned)

Let them eat cake!

Jinete Viejo - 12-3-2019 at 01:19 AM

I just got Sentri and Global Entry was automatically included. I asked the CBP guy who interviewed me what the difference was between the two and he said Sentri includes the car and it's also better if you are travelling with kids. I didn't ask how it was better with kids. He also said someone with GE could come through the Sentri lane if the driver and car were good for Sentri.

larryC - 12-3-2019 at 07:36 AM

I have Sentri and as someone else said it included the car inspection. Now there is no car inspection but my question is if you applied for GE and now want to drive across the border what does it cost to get a car added to your GE pass? I added a second car to my Sentri a couple of years ago and it cost me $45 for the addition.

JZ - 12-3-2019 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
I just got Sentri and Global Entry was automatically included. I asked the CBP guy who interviewed me what the difference was between the two and he said Sentri includes the car and it's also better if you are travelling with kids. I didn't ask how it was better with kids. He also said someone with GE could come through the Sentri lane if the driver and car were good for Sentri.

Read what I wrote above. It's better with kids, because it's free for your kids.

caj13 - 12-3-2019 at 08:21 PM

3 quick questions on Sentri:
1. It's a one time fee? or yearly?
2. I know you add a vehicle, so you need to cross with whatever vehicle is on the profile - right? and what if you are pulling a trailer - does it need to be in the profile as well?
3. The interview, do you get an appointment? is it at your convenience? or do you need to show up when they tell you to. and the interviews are at the border crossings , right? anywhere else (seems to me some international airports as well?)

and if you have GE - how do they deal with your vehicle? Ie If I have Ge and i drive up in any old car, do I still get to use the sentri lane?

[Edited on 12-4-2019 by caj13]

[Edited on 12-4-2019 by caj13]

JZ - 12-3-2019 at 08:27 PM

Good for 5 years.

Can't tow anything.

You pick the time, date, and place for the interview. Actual "interview" takes 5-10 mins. Closer to 5.

caj13 - 12-3-2019 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Good for 5 years.

Can't tow anything.

You pick the time, date, and place for the interview. Actual "interview" takes 5-10 mins. Closer to 5.

thanks JZ, thats good info

eguillermo - 12-4-2019 at 12:19 PM

Good luck getting an interview though . . . I applied in June, and haven't seen any action on my application other than the collection of the fee.

Worse, there's no way to cancel the application, and as long as it is open, I'm not able to apply for Global Entry!!

Does JZ or anyone know if there's a way to show up in person at an office in Calexico somewhere and try to get around this horribly designed and pokey application process?

JZ - 12-4-2019 at 12:53 PM

Seems like GE applications go more smoothly.

Mine took 4 months for the whole thing. Kids took about 3 months.

tjsue - 12-4-2019 at 01:06 PM

My GE is pending review, and I applied on October 9. But I can still used my expired Sentri, though.

DanO - 12-4-2019 at 04:47 PM

Sentri's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Longest I've ever waited was about 40 minutes, but the wait at the standard lines at SY that day was over 4 hours. Usually it's 10 to 20 minutes, which gives me just enough time to check my emails and texts and eat a bag of churros before stomping on the gas NOB.

BajaTed - 12-4-2019 at 06:08 PM

DT addiction relief is nothing compared to SENTRI use and the dopamine release associated.