BajaNomad

When's your next trip to Baja?

JZ - 12-10-2019 at 09:00 PM

Where are you headed and what are you going to do?

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 12-10-2019 at 10:03 PM

Hopefully next month when the contractor says the house is done!!:bounce:

Waiting on door hardware, which won't be there until January 9-20! Not much sense in moving in if the doors aren't hung and secured yet :(

Mulege Canuck - 12-10-2019 at 11:49 PM

Off to Mulege and my “Underwater home” in January. Head up to Agua de Gringo, San Basillo and Rattlesnake Beach for camping trips.

Next November, I am planning on sailing my trimaran from BOLA down to Mulege.

bajafreaks - 12-11-2019 at 07:29 AM

Heading down hwy 5 for the first time the day after xmas to our place in Los Barriles. Work on the place a little, chill on the beach, drink some beer and tequila...the usual. Get out of the cold in Nor. Nevada I'm good.

caj13 - 12-11-2019 at 07:32 AM

next week, driving the entire length. stop by and see shari in Bahia Asuncion, drop off some gear to her, then down to LB for fishing / diving for a couple of weeks

David K - 12-11-2019 at 07:44 AM

There's a chance I will be returning to Mission Santa María with a 4WD vehicle tv show crew, Spring 2020... ??

Bajaboy - 12-11-2019 at 08:40 AM

Leaving in a week to spend Christmas/New Years at our casita in Bahia Asuncion.

Paco Facullo - 12-11-2019 at 09:43 AM

Hopefully leaving this Sunday ?

Maybe this time I'll make all the way to La Paz ????

Too many great stops on the way that seem to grab and hold me.....

To do, same as I always do.
Eat great fish y oltra Tacos, drink cold, beer and tequila, fish, let my eyes enjoy the beauty of Baja, feel the freedom and that special feeling that only Baja has, visit with friends and meet new one's along the way, etc etc etc.................

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by Paco Facullo]

bajarich - 12-11-2019 at 09:55 AM

Crossing mid January, headed to Mulege, Loreto area for camping and fishing. May head south to East Cape.

RocketJSquirrel - 12-11-2019 at 01:46 PM

Went to Baja this morning. Took my moto down to the Oxxo to fill up my TelCel account.

advrider - 12-11-2019 at 08:59 PM

First week of March, 10-12 days on the KTM 990'S. Maybe as far down as Loreto, by way of Scorpion bay, over the mountains? No real plans, just ride. If anyone will be in the area I'll buy them a beer or three! Haven't ridden the big bike in Baja for a few years.

defrag4 - 12-12-2019 at 01:34 AM

en route across the USA right now from FL to CA, headed back down to our place in Loreto, this time with residency papers and no damn weddings or other family BS to pull us back up to the states!

more camping, hiking, fishing, 4x4ng, general mexican hoodrat chit with my friends! cant wait

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by defrag4]

basautter - 12-12-2019 at 03:38 AM

Off to San Felipe on Dec 27th to do some beach riding,and relaxing. Also going to try some beach fishing. :bounce::bounce:

Ron in BC - 12-12-2019 at 12:05 PM

Big fiberglass trailer meet in Quartzsite first week in Feb. and on to Coyote Beach via Mex. 5.

Glad there's been lot's of progress on the road because when we used it last Feb. we swore "never again". :)

Ron

Marc - 12-12-2019 at 04:11 PM

Never! According to my wife.:(:(

Paco Facullo - 12-12-2019 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Never! According to my wife.:(:(

Time to change or get rid of wife .....:biggrin::biggrin:

Baja in January

NE14Baja - 12-12-2019 at 09:29 PM

Heading to Las Animas area in January, kayaking, hiking, exploring, yes, fishing too!
Day trips north and south from Las Animas then slow rolling north from there, Bay of La, Gonzaga then back to the USA!

MulegeAL - 12-13-2019 at 08:09 PM

Cross over Sunday for quattro mesas.

tunaeater - 12-13-2019 at 08:17 PM

2nd week in January. Boys trip to Cabo San Lucas, fishing with my dad and two boys.... Hook Up!!!!!!

bajapedro - 12-14-2019 at 07:14 AM

Heading Down 27th night with another couple. Crossing boarder early morning 28th. Arrive San Felipe 7ish for breakfast at Pete's Camp, then off to Rancho Percebu for relaxation, beach/desert riding, fishing and hanging out on Shell Island. Also have house chores to do, which never seem like chores when I'm in Baja.

BajaBlanca - 12-14-2019 at 02:15 PM

This is so fun reading about everyone's plans to come south. Makes me happy knowing there are adventures for you all.

The weather here midway down (La Bocana is BCSur) has been absolutely beyond wonderful. The days are perfectly warm. There is the slightest breeze. Incredibly blue skies. Even waves on the ocean (unusual for us). Cooler evenings and nights make you snuggle up. I still pinch myself after 13 years. How did I ever get so darn lucky?!

Blanca and Les campo rene.jpg - 85kB

RocketJSquirrel - 12-14-2019 at 04:07 PM

You always inspire, Blanca.

I am only on 6.5 years, but I am so happy to be here (south of Ensenada).

matthew_mangus - 1-28-2020 at 08:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There's a chance I will be returning to Mission Santa María with a 4WD vehicle tv show crew, Spring 2020... ??

DK, how's this shaping up?

matthew_mangus - 1-28-2020 at 08:32 AM

I'll be traipsing along "The Baja Peninsula" :P with a small group of friends Feb 15 - March 1. Highlights will include a day in 'El Valle,' a whale tour with Shari, camping and paddleboarding on numerous beaches, enjoying a nice dinner and hotel night in Todos Santos, snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo, a couple of hot springs and a number of 4x4 routes. I'm super excited to get out of the PNWetness and back down to La Baja.

AKgringo - 1-28-2020 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
I'll be traipsing along "The Baja Peninsula" :P with a small group of friends Feb 15 - March 1.

Two weeks is going to be a pretty full schedule, but if that is what you have.....make them count! I will probably still be at, or near Campestre Maranatha (just west of La Paz) and would be happy to meet up with your group and share any local road/trail information I have acquired.

The coffee shop there (Café Exquiste) is a good stop anyway, and has decent WIFI.

David K - 1-28-2020 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

DK, how's this shaping up?

Looks like April for the advance filming to get scenery shots with one cameraman and one drone operator. The actual tour trip will be after, maybe in May? This is for Amazon TV's show 'in4Lo'.

Just learned that in March, after the San Diego Natural History Museum's showing of The Devil's Road (on March 10), Baja Geoff and I plan to do another search for the Lost Grave of Melchior Diaz. We are attempting to have a helicopter available, but that might be a stretch! The San Felipe 250 is on March 28, and the copter will be there for it.

pauldavidmena - 1-28-2020 at 01:52 PM

Flying from Boston to Cabo and then driving from Cabo to Todos Santos in just over a week. Sadly, we'll only be there for eight days. :cool:

cobra - 1-28-2020 at 04:28 PM

march 16 flying to loreto, mulege and punta chivato all in 24 days.
too short, next year will be longer. happy travels

[Edited on 1-28-2020 by cobra]

Mother of Dragons - 1-28-2020 at 06:19 PM

Feb 7, leaving to drive to Guerrero Negro, then Bahia Asuncion, one night in San Quintin, for a month or so. Reverse trip on way back up.
Can’t wait.

[Edited on 1-29-2020 by Mother of Dragons]

bajatrailrider - 1-28-2020 at 06:44 PM

Liked it so much decided to not go back to do cal

BajaParrothead - 1-28-2020 at 06:49 PM

Drive down to Los Barriles Feb 28 with boat in tow. Will enjoy a few weeks in the new casa before flying home March 16. Already planning the next trip for May/June when the fishing picks up.

DBaja - 1-28-2020 at 10:21 PM

Flying into Loreto then driving straight to San Juanico at the end of Feb. Will stay for a short week to take care of the house to be AKA construction site. Will also stop in La Paz for additional business. Already wishing I could stay longer!!

BajaBlanca - 1-29-2020 at 02:16 AM

and we are headed to San Diego today! Very excited to see family, eat a Hodad's hamburger tonight and perhaps Thai food tomorrow.

matthew_mangus - 1-29-2020 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Two weeks is going to be a pretty full schedule, but if that is what you have.....make them count! I will probably still be at, or near Campestre Maranatha (just west of La Paz) and would be happy to meet up with your group and share any local road/trail information I have acquired.

The coffee shop there (Café Exquiste) is a good stop anyway, and has decent WIFI.

Yep, definitely not long enough. I look forward to eventually staying in Baja for longer periods of time. Getting a rig stationed down there is my first step. Then I'll be able to fly in and putter around in a tighter radius.

It would be good to meet in person. I'll send you a DM to coordinate. I'm not on Nomads everyday, but I do use Facebook Messenger for all SMS/MMS/Messenger comms so it's easy to message me there for a quick response.

Thanks for the tip on Café Exquiste. It's good to know about. That area is near where a not-so-friendly policia introduced me to the mordida tradition. I've learned to mind my P's and Q's so to speak when driving the stretch from the military checkpoint into La Paz.

BTW, looking at your profile, I see that you spend time in Grass Valley. Do you happen to know Ben Calhoun of Dissent Offroad. Great guy who specializes in armor for Toyota LCs and their Lexus counterparts. I'm stopping in at his shop on my next trip down to Baja to have him work on my rig.

Grass Valley

AKgringo - 1-29-2020 at 02:43 PM

M.M. quote;
"BTW, looking at your profile, I see that you spend time in Grass Valley. Do you happen to know Ben Calhoun of Dissent Offroad."

Believe it or not, I am currently residing in the house my dad bought in 1947, not long after I was born! I sold my home in AK, and will be reversing the direction of my snow birding.

Based on a previous post of yours, I checked out Dissent Offroading. If I was "building a crawler", I would consider using them, but I will stay a lot closer to stock and go where I am able to with all the money I saved on the build.