BajaNomad

Not mine, but sharing from FB because it fits

rhintransit - 12-11-2019 at 04:27 PM

336ABA34-2B71-4597-83E7-EF723F4DDAD6.jpeg - 100kB

JZ - 12-11-2019 at 04:49 PM

That could have been stated with about 50 less words.

chippy - 12-11-2019 at 04:53 PM

and it would have been more relevant 40 years ago.

John Harper - 12-11-2019 at 05:26 PM

There is always here.

John

David K - 12-11-2019 at 05:43 PM

Great!
This applies to many parts of the U.S., as well.

bajarich - 12-11-2019 at 06:49 PM

I don't wish more rain and floods on the people of Baja, but a few more big chubascos can go a long way toward restoring there back to there again.

BajaBlanca - 12-11-2019 at 08:38 PM

I really like it here! So there!

Lee - 12-11-2019 at 09:32 PM

Elementary and parochial.

motoged - 12-12-2019 at 02:26 AM

I did not realize we had so many Rhode Scholars on Nomads ;)

Maybe it needs to be broken down into briefer paragraphs so some would get it....

Whatever you cunning linguists might say, I agree with the sentiment of the piece....and as Blanca said, "So there" :biggrin:

AKgringo - 12-12-2019 at 08:47 AM

Hear hear for there!

Edit; Since 'here' is northern CA right now, 'there' would be in Baja!

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by AKgringo]

Good and Bad Here and There

MrBillM - 12-12-2019 at 11:33 AM

The reasons for attraction are as myriad as there are those attracted. On this forum, the balance weighs heavily in favor of those who moved south and have embraced the foreign culture (including its many different standards or lack thereof) while there are a minority with more transactional views and there are those representing a mixture.

As one who originally came to Baja (as an adult on High School Grad Night) for the delightful corruption in TJ, later for the fishing and adventure exploring unknown territories and finally for the reasonable residency with the ocean steps away, I accepted (as opposed to embraced) the culture and corruption.

As I've remarked often over the years (in various wordings), "Baja could be Czechoslovakia as far as I'm concerned so long as I could live next to the ocean a few hours from home".

Of course, that Cyrillic alphabet would take some getting used to. And, I'm not so sure about their cuisine, but I've never cared much for Mexican food, either.

Salsa - 12-12-2019 at 03:17 PM

I like Mexican food the way it is. :cool:

Please don't turn it into something else .

You are in Mexico, don't change it.:no:

Don

Marc - 12-12-2019 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
....but I've never cared much for Mexican food, either.

Sacrilegious as it might sound, I agree with you... well, sort of, because a lot of "Mexican" food we're served is like cardboard and grease, which isn't very appealing.

There's little legitimate traditional Mexican food available on the Baja Peninsula, but if you get into southern corn country where legitimate nixtamal is appreciated, it becomes apparent how the culture has survived for generations on a staple diet of corn and tortillas. I can hardly stand to eat what are served as tortillas in most places these days. :barf:

Mexican food? Tortillas, tacos, and that type are historically Indian, Mestizo, and 'cowboy' foods. Try ordering that stuff in a reasonably good Mexico City restaurant.

That being said I think we are having chicken enchiladas tonight. Compliments of Trader Joes.

Lee - 12-12-2019 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Salsa  
I like Mexican food the way it is. :cool:
Don't get me wrong, I do, too; what I'm saying is that unless you've spent much time on the Mainland or lived in Mexico before Salinas de Gortari screwed with corn distribution, you may not be aware how different current Baja "Mexican" food is from traditional fare...

Are you splitting hairs here? Traditional mainland fare vs. Baja MX food?

Baja has it's own traditional MX fare and TJ, Ensenada, La Paz, and San Jose del Cabo can easily compete with anything on the mainland.

Nothing on the mainland compares to Puebla and Oaxaca mole but doubt anyone on the mainland would compare these regions to others.

Looks like a class issue.

pacificobob - 12-13-2019 at 07:36 AM

Someone needs a thesaurus

BajaTed - 12-13-2019 at 05:45 PM

As my daddy taught me, people come from there to be here(baja) cuz they got a reason they can't be back there.
About the same percentage as the chronic homeless up here.

A Matter of Fare Taste

MrBillM - 12-13-2019 at 08:47 PM

As I have said a few times over the years:

"The best Mexican dish that I ever tasted was called Maria".

Udo - 12-14-2019 at 10:53 AM

I was the one who originally posted this on Facebook. The first post was made by Baja's Carol Mears. The page originally had a different state instead of Baja. I was unable to figure out how to change the original name to Baja, so I enlisted another friend, Sharon Heafey who is a word processing genius, and she changed the word to Baja.
This is posted on several Baja Facebook forums and in the Rosarito FB page the moderator finally turned off the comments because so many were coming in.

David K - 12-14-2019 at 10:57 AM

Wife of Baja off road racing legend, Roger Mears (Jeep Honcho and Nissan Frontier)?

yumawill - 12-15-2019 at 08:37 AM

The moment you pitch your tent here you have left there. Now you begin to interject yourself and your culture into the here and now . Your language and your hair style. Then you change the menu. The tortillas are never the same after that. Then the taco filling. It never ends...OMG! This sounds like GMO food ! What have we done. An alteration of space and time has occurred.

MarthaJ - 12-28-2019 at 05:02 PM

I like it!

pauldavidmena - 12-29-2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Someone needs a thesaurus

What's another word for thesaurus?

- Steven Wright

BajaDanD - 12-29-2019 at 01:31 PM

I've seen almost the same exact thing only it was a welcome to Arizona

BajaMama - 1-2-2020 at 12:32 PM

This same post was all over FB but with Oregon, Colorado,...

Alm - 1-5-2020 at 11:10 AM

Nicely written, albeit - like somebody said, "elementary". Applicable to most any place on the planet and largely impractical.

I don't care for food of Mexican Indians and cowboys. I know what works for me and have enough physical and mental abilities to prepare my meals, though lack of necessary components in local stores is disheartening. If somebody is Ok eating unhealthy, sleeping at 45F or 100F without climate control or living in a home without grid power, they don't need to change anything here. This (probably) works for less than 1/5 of all fulltime and part-time gringo residents and for less than 1/2 of all Mexicans, if you ask them. Oh yeah, - and drink local water from whatever tap or well you encounter, with all the cr-ap from surrounding farms and factories.

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by Alm]

bajatrailrider - 1-5-2020 at 11:39 AM

Could not a have said it better.