BajaNomad

Red object in the sky

elfbrewery - 12-22-2019 at 12:59 PM

Did anyone see that red object glide across the sky with a bright tail all the way to the horizon this morning before 6a.m. It was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen in the sky (except maybe a solar eclipse...).
Was it a meteor??

David K - 12-22-2019 at 01:04 PM

With Space X, Boeing, and Nasa all launching stuff now. anything is possible. When you say "glide," was it slow and steady or a quick streak? Meteors are pretty quick, like 1-3 seconds. Satellites and rocket launches are steady but move along and you can follow them for several seconds to a minute or more.

AKgringo - 12-22-2019 at 01:07 PM

Where did you view it from?

Hook - 12-22-2019 at 01:18 PM

I witnessed it over here on the mainland. IT WAS SPECTACULAR !!!

Very likely, it was the re-entry of the Boeing Starliner, as it headed for the NM desert. The timing was about right. It landed at 0558 MST. I witnessed it around 0550 or maybe a bit before. I also heard the sonic boom that lasted for about 10-15 seconds.

It seemed to break up near the horizon. But after the articles I read today, they were simply jettisoning unneeded stuff for the re-entry. The glowing contrail was probably the re-entry boosters used to take it out of orbit.

David K - 12-22-2019 at 01:21 PM

That sounds so cool!!!
All cloudy here in San Diego County, so even if I was up and outside... No see!

elfbrewery - 12-22-2019 at 01:28 PM

It went over faster than the ISS, but still took maybe a minute to cross the sky. I saw it around 5:55 (mas o menos) from Bahia Concepcion. The boom was very brief and soft sounding, but I think I felt it the boom as well.
Thanks for clearing that up!
Cheers!

BornFisher - 12-22-2019 at 01:51 PM

Maybe Santa was checking his new sled out!

Marc - 12-23-2019 at 08:22 AM

Some pictures maybe??;););)

basautter - 12-23-2019 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  
Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Some pictures maybe??;););)

Merry Christmas and you asked for them.

This is the real red object that appeared in the sky with Jihad Joe's demise the other day.

That monkey has spent a lot of time on a dirt bike. Yikes!

Santiago - 12-23-2019 at 09:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I witnessed it over here on the mainland. IT WAS SPECTACULAR !!!

Dude, it was 6:00am, very unlikely you guys in San Carlos had barley made it to bed of a couple of hours. Even mid-night pickle ball guys fade quickly.

Hook - 12-23-2019 at 09:48 PM

Dude, to be fishing on the water before sunrise, you gotta get up early!

I was actually walking coffee grounds out to the compost bin, in advance of fishing for YT, when I looked up and sawr it.

I am down right now for PB, with a bad wrist. I CAN'T STAY OFF THIS DAMN EBIKE, ON THE SINGLE TRACK ROUTES AROUND HERE !! Keep wrenching the wrist.

But fishing is actually no problem. The left had does all the lifting.