BajaNomad

Report on our trip to the Grandpas added. John M

John M - 12-29-2019 at 11:31 AM

NEW INFO - we've been touched by Nomad kindness for this effort. If you are interested in helping through PayPal there is still today, Saturday the 4th, and tomorrow Sunday.

Tuesday will be an exciting day at Ensenada Costco.

John and Barbara

My wife, Barbara, and I along with TW are going to Camalu on January 7 to take some supplies to the grandpas.

Many here on Nomad are aware of these grand old men and the care they receive at Casa Hogar del Ancianos – please take a look at the facebook link below, and if you click on “photos” you will have a better idea of how appreciative of our assistance they will be.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nonprofit-Organizati...

We are making our paypal account available if you’d like to contribute. $5.00 - $10.00 or whatever you would like will help. To do that, you need a paypal account. Simply log in to your paypal account, enter our email address jnmarnell44@gmail.com and donate whatever you wish. We will take whatever money is donated, shop at Costco in Ensenada, and make the delivery the same day. You can trust that every penny received will be used for our purchases for them. And, if you’d like to send me a U2U message, I’ll respond there.

When I emailed their long-term care giver, Penny, about what they need, this was her reply, and this will guide what we buy.

“Hi John,

They Always need cleaning supplies (Clorox, Pinesol, rubber gloves, etc.), Toilet paper, Depends, Cooking Oil, Rice, Beans, Canned Fruit and Vegetables, Meats, Eggs, Hot Cocoa, decaf Coffee, Warm Clothes, And Love, Lots and Lots of Love

Thank you So Much for Thinking of these Amazing Men and Their Caregivers, Love, Penny
** They Also Love Pastries

As for me, I'm doing O.K. I've had 5 Vascular Surgeries in a year and a half, which has kept me from Hugging my Grandpas as much as I'd like, But Praying 2020 will be a Healthy Year for All of Us. Merry Christmas”

John & Barbara M

[Edited on 1-4-2020 by John M]

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by John M]

Howard - 12-29-2019 at 11:48 AM

Thanks for looking out for these gentleman.

Paypal was easy peasey.

DaliDali - 12-29-2019 at 11:56 AM

Done.....
Good job!!

BajaParrothead - 12-29-2019 at 12:48 PM

Thank you John!!!!

BajaBlanca - 12-29-2019 at 01:38 PM

Awwwwwww

Grandpa's getting loving is so wonderful.

Thanks for heading south with this ever so important help!

msteve1014 - 12-29-2019 at 06:14 PM

Merry Christmas John, buy treats, not just needs.

CaboMagic - 12-29-2019 at 06:31 PM

So happy to see this John, Barbara and TW.
Proudly participated via paypal.
Thank you thank you thank you,
Blessing to all, Penny love and hugs to u also,
Tommy and Lori

jbcoug - 12-29-2019 at 10:04 PM

John,
Thanks for your efforts! I will be going down the end of Feb. and always stop, but check your paypal now as well. Costco is a really easy stop for anyone heading south, you only have the supplies a few hours, so you can buy anything. I have taken to using my Costco annual rebate check the last couple of years to buy them supplies. Makes it feel like free money! Last spring an apparent new girl was checking my purchases going out and wanted to do a thorough job. She literally took longer searching my carts than it took to get through all of the military checkpoints the length of Baja! It is well worth it though considering how grateful they are for any donations! ,

advrider - 12-30-2019 at 08:35 AM

Headed over to paypal now. Thank you for taking the time.

BajaParrothead - 12-30-2019 at 08:52 AM

John, I see my better half used Venmo to send you money; is that an acceptable method for you, or do you prefer PayPal?

Venmo?

John M - 12-30-2019 at 09:41 AM

I believe I can probably set up a Venmo account.

I'll give it a try this morning and let you know.

The donation is gratefully accepted.

John & Barbara

Baja Parrothead

John M - 12-30-2019 at 10:32 AM

I've tried without success to open a Venmo account. I'm waiting for a call back from their help line.

If PayPal is easy, then I'd recommend it as it seems to be working fine.

John

Pacifico - 12-30-2019 at 10:54 AM

Money sent, John!

Thanks for doing this kind act!!!

BajaParrothead - 12-30-2019 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
I've tried without success to open a Venmo account. I'm waiting for a call back from their help line.

If PayPal is easy, then I'd recommend it as it seems to be working fine.

John

Thanks John, I sent mine yesterday through PayPal, but this morning I saw where she sent hers via Venmo, so now I have no idea where it went :?:

elgatoloco - 12-30-2019 at 01:23 PM

Good work. :saint::cool:

Thank you so much

John M - 12-30-2019 at 02:07 PM

We thank the many donors who will make life easier for the Grandpas, and make a difference in their lives and the caring efforts of the caretakers.

We also need to acknowledge Penny, who is continually giving us guidance in the selection of what is needed most. This is Penny's most recent advice

"John, I just spoke with Juan, He said They need Heaters(2-3) and Warm Clothes desperately right now, it is unusually Cold for them and We can't have Them getting Sick so early in the Winter, Also Warm blankets if you can"

Without taking a risk of not having those things available in Ensenada at Costco, we, using donated monies, purchased 4 nice warm jackets, 4 warm blankets from Costco on-line, and tomorrow we'll go to Costco and pick up two of the radiant heaters for use as Penny suggested.

If any of you wish to confirm that we received your donation, please email us. We are keeping close records of all of this.

Thanks again. John and Barbara Marnell

[Edited on 12-30-2019 by John M]

jbcoug - 12-30-2019 at 04:38 PM

Great work and wise choices, thank you!

advrider - 12-30-2019 at 07:22 PM

If anyone from the Nor Cal area is headed down, I have 3-4 heaters that I could donate. I could meet up with someone, I'm in Sutter Creek about an hour South East of Sacramento. I could also bring them with me in March to Tecate, if someone else could deliver? We will be on motos from the border on.

Penny F. - 12-31-2019 at 08:23 AM

Thank you So Much John, We Truly appreciate Everything that you're doing ❤This is such an Amazing Group of Men, They have Endured So Much in their Lives But They Continue to Love and Give Thanks, I Love them Deeply and I Thank Each and Every Nomad for your Support for my Grandpas💙

bajamedic - 12-31-2019 at 09:57 AM

John, with a part of my donation, can you take some Apple Pie to the Grandpa's, they seemed to really like it last time... and your discretion on the remainder, Thank You. JH

Paco Facullo - 12-31-2019 at 10:26 AM

With mine get some decaf coffee or tea to go with that apple pie.

I've brought along regular coffee , beer and wine ( along with the staples) as that I thought that it would be a treat BUT I guess that they are way past those days now....

Although I did have a few beers with the caretakers.

[Edited on 12-31-2019 by Paco Facullo]

Apple Pie will be it

John M - 12-31-2019 at 10:42 AM

Added it to our list!

Hope it makes it all the way without samples being removed.

J & B

DawnPatrol - 12-31-2019 at 11:30 AM

Done! Thanks for taking care of the grandpa's!!
Alan from San Diego

TMW - 12-31-2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
Added it to our list!

Hope it makes it all the way without samples being removed.

J & B

If you want to give them one you better buy two. Just sayin

Nappo - 1-3-2020 at 10:05 PM

Wonderful you have organized this for the gramps. My UCSB friends and I have been visiting/donating for years. We're heading down Monday to fish out of the Old Mill as usual. We always bring cleaning supplies, pancake mix, beans...anything we can throw in our carts from Costco. Must tell you passing around Costco Chocolate chip cookies is the highlight for me. Helping the blind Grandpa move his hand onto the cookie and then watch him eat it is an experience that I'll always cherish! I know the new kitchen must be done or close to it so it will be great to see that. Also, always ask your dentist for the toothpaste /brushes sales people leave with them. Dr. Gray in La Mesa always gives me a whole box of toothpaste to take..Penny - haven't seen you since you left for Canada. Come by the Old Mill in the afternoon if you can- it would be wonderful to see you!

David K - 1-8-2020 at 02:09 PM

Just had a nice visit from John M & Barbara returning north from seeing the grandpas... Quite an undertaking and great generosity from so many Nomads, too!

Report back from the Grandpas

John M - 1-9-2020 at 08:10 AM

Hi everyone. We returned late Wednesday from our adventure to the Grandpas. It was a wonderful and humbling experience especially at the tail end of this Christmas season.

We were greeted by the caretakers and many of the grandpas who were outside waiting for us, as Penny had told them of our impending arrival.

Those that could, helped unload both ours and Tom's trucks. Once finished, we went inside and met the other residents who are unable to get outside due to their health.

As guided by Penny and Juan as to their greatest needs, our supplies will greatly appreciated. The photos below show most of what we were able to purchase.

The NOMAD community donated over $1,000 - Barbara much enjoyed her shopping spree in Costco Ensenada, gathering food and supplies, knowing it all would be much appreciated.

If anyone wishes, we have receipts for everything purchased.

The love and joy this brought to the Grandpa house, and to myself, Barbara, and Tom was overwhelming, memories lasting a lifetime.

John, Barbara M, and TMW

From the right, John & Barbara M, TMW, Juan and a few Grandpas

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by John M]

CaboMagic - 1-9-2020 at 12:40 PM

APLAUSOS!! Hearts smiling .. THANK YOU for doing this and sharing,
Our love to the Grampas and all who take care of them - Tommy and Lori

Paco Facullo - 1-9-2020 at 03:41 PM

Nothing better than to be warm and have a full belly. besides being loved, and due to you and all that helped the Grandpa's are ........

John y Barbara , Thanks for all the effort that you put into this

David K - 1-9-2020 at 03:47 PM

John, I forgot to ask, where did TW go from there?

Homeward

John M - 1-9-2020 at 10:31 PM

We parted ways in Ensenada. He thought he may have lunch with Roy, then continue toward home on Wednesday.

John M

MMc - 1-9-2020 at 11:08 PM

Thank you all so much! It is so good to see the old guys getting some love. Please remember to help out these guys the rest of the year too. They are the benefactors of so much good will this time of the year, please don't forget them in the spring, summer and fall. Everybody that helped thank you so very much.

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2020 at 08:09 AM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What an amazing undertaking! Brilliant to buy in Ensenada and then only hours away from delivery.

I wonder if they need other kitchen items? dishes? pots and pans? glasses?

Sharing love is the highest high. Thanks for going above and beyond to make this happen!

Janitor's bucket and mop

John M - 1-10-2020 at 08:51 AM

Thanks for the kind remarks Blanca.

to answer your question - here is what they could use. The floors are all concrete and cleaned once or twice a day.

This shows the bucket, but they also could use a quality mop to go with it.

John M

TMW - 1-11-2020 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
John, I forgot to ask, where did TW go from there?

I crossed at Tecate and it only took about 15 minutes at 10am. I was going to call Roy and have lunch with him but decided to go home instead. I'll catch him next trip. I know Baja Blanca has some stuff at her moms that needs bringing down so maybe Roy and I can do it.

dtbushpilot - 1-11-2020 at 07:25 PM

Strong work John and TMW, thank you for doing what you did!

AKgringo - 1-11-2020 at 07:35 PM

For years I bought over the counter reading glasses at Costco. They have been inexpensive and durable for me, so I was wondering if an assortment of various frames and strengths would be appreciated?

Do the grandpas get any optical help from the Mexican health plans?

advrider - 1-11-2020 at 07:55 PM

Really cool to see the pictures and get a report of where the money went, so nice for everyone to help out. I'm not religious but I do believe in karma!

Reading glasses AK & Amazon Mexico

John M - 1-12-2020 at 10:21 AM

We took the Grandpas 7 pair of reading glasses among all the other things. We varied the strength from 1.00 to 2.50 -

Lencho - do you have experience with this delivery? I'll get their address and try to do something with it. Always learning. many thanks.

John M

[Edited on 1-12-2020 by John M]