BajaNomad

Cartels now in avacado business

LancairDriver - 12-31-2019 at 10:47 PM

Expanding their dirty business

The 19 mutilated bodies, nine hanging semi-naked from a bridge in the Mexican city of Uruapan, were initially thought to be the result of a clash between rival drug gangs. But the Jalisco New Generation cartel, which claimed the murders in August, is believed to be fighting for more than...

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0Nhsi6gy?pd=037FyHaR&s=i3

[Edited on 1-1-2020 by LancairDriver]

John Harper - 1-1-2020 at 06:29 AM

The 21st century version of the United Fruit Company.

John

chuckie - 1-1-2020 at 09:49 AM

Kinda old news,but update is good...

Marc - 1-1-2020 at 12:35 PM

I am a HUGE avocado lover. I think it would be easy enough to check with markets in your area where they come from. In our area; Trader Joe's, Safeway, Albertsons, Vons, etc.

On edit: Looks like Trader Joe's is importing some or all from Mexico.

[Edited on 1-1-2020 by Marc]

[Edited on 1-2-2020 by Marc]

sd - 1-1-2020 at 01:30 PM

Southern California prices are cheap now.
Tiny ones 2 for $1.00
Large - $2-$3.00

About a year ago prices were so high Trader Joe's stopped carrying them, and restaurants charged more.

Sourced by a mix of California grown and Mexican grown.

David K - 1-1-2020 at 01:49 PM

Fruit stands and farmers markets are a good source for avocados in San Diego County, where Fallbrook is located (the avocado capital of America).

RocketJSquirrel - 1-1-2020 at 02:24 PM

I'LL do anything for a "guacamole fix". Stay out the way...

caj13 - 1-1-2020 at 02:35 PM

Its seasonal. You can get good quality California avacados, for cheap during their season, but outside that season, you are pretty much stuck with Mexican - or in dire straights - Chilean.

I never buy Chilean, they were picked hard as a rock and shipped by boat most likely, they don't ripen properly.

all of your produce in the stores is stamped with where it came from, easy enough to stay away - if your willing to east seasonally available produce.
unless of course you live in those hell holes like michigan or minnesota - where get seasonal ice, and ice fishing, and an occasional apple

BajaTed - 1-1-2020 at 08:17 PM

Calavo avocados from some of the groves in Ramona are considered some of the best by high end restaurants. As a kid, we sold them for 10 cents.

paranewbi - 1-2-2020 at 07:06 AM

Long time poster David E (although not much lately) has some personal experience with this concerning his land holdings on mainland. Not so sure he is willing to speak of it publicly.

chuckie - 1-2-2020 at 08:10 AM

Colorado Peaches from the western slope were excellent this year..

pappy - 1-2-2020 at 08:28 AM

Have a friend who was involved in the avocado industry.went to visit their factory in mainland Mexico where they were making avocado oil. Said it was the experience was intense- heavy security and protection due to cartel activity. He quit after that...not worth the risk...

pappy - 1-2-2020 at 08:30 AM

Have a friend who was involved in the avocado industry.went to visit their factory in mainland Mexico where they were making avocado oil. Said it was the experience was intense- heavy security and protection due to cartel activity. He quit after that...not worth the risk...

Lee - 1-2-2020 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Colorado Peaches from the western slope were excellent this year..

A friend attends the Palisade Peach Fest in Aug. and I get 2 cases. Peel them and freeze.

ncampion - 1-2-2020 at 12:16 PM

There's a good video on the avocado business on "Rotten". Netflix, I think. Very cutthroat business, not surprised the cartels are in it. Mexico supplies most of the world.

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2020 at 12:47 PM

Lots of avocado tress in my neighborhood. My 3 trees are juvenile, not yet producing. My neighbors with trees visible/accessible from road have problems with thieves. Thieves steal, then sell to fruit stands and restaurants.
I hear the big growers have problems with theft too.

AKgringo - 1-2-2020 at 02:14 PM

The grocery store where I frequently shop has had good prices on mostly pretty good avocados all season. Some are from Mexico and California, but Peru is the main source!

LancairDriver - 1-2-2020 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Lots of avocado tress in my neighborhood. My 3 trees are juvenile, not yet producing. My neighbors with trees visible/accessible from road have problems with thieves. Thieves steal, then sell to fruit stands and restaurants.
I hear the big growers have problems with theft too.

A friend in Ventura County had so much theft that he gave up on 60 acres of avocados and it cost him 75 grand to bulldoze the trees and convert to raspberry’s.