BajaNomad

Punta San Francisquito

Sparetimewanted - 1-2-2020 at 08:13 PM

Any Nomads live in PSF? I am planning a quick kayak trip for later in the Spring and am considering a trip from BOLA, and would like to ask a few questions. Please PM if willing to share some info. Muchas gracias y Feliz Anomaly's Nuevo!

Rick

jaymtb - 1-2-2020 at 10:14 PM

Pls check U2U

David K - 1-3-2020 at 12:34 AM

Here is the website for Beto's place on the cove: http://www.puertosf.com/
Berto's email is aluwalfurs AT gmail.com

PaulW - 1-3-2020 at 02:09 PM

The beach at Beto’s cove. 28 25.48155', -112 51.98687'

IMG_4888.jpg - 134kB

I thought that photo looked familiar! LOL

David K - 1-3-2020 at 04:57 PM

Taken on New Years Day 2016... During my Baja Bound Recon Trip #1

David K - 1-3-2020 at 04:59 PM

Here's the beach just to the right...

and the other pics that day there:

The entrance gate (keeps cattle away). Close after you pass...

[Edited on 1-4-2020 by David K]

advrider - 1-3-2020 at 07:46 PM

I can't wait to check this spot out in person, I've been to the other place that's a little north ( not sure of the name ). This bay looks amazing, the other place was hit hard by the hurricane a few years ago and hasn't recovered!

David K - 1-3-2020 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I can't wait to check this spot out in person, I've been to the other place that's a little north ( not sure of the name ). This bay looks amazing, the other place was hit hard by the hurricane a few years ago and hasn't recovered!

The other place is next door, just south, called Punta San Francisquito. An earthquake damaged one building badly. It has the nice runway for pilots.

C205Driver - 1-3-2020 at 08:39 PM

.... From what I understand, Puerto Sanfrancisquito is the Northern bay where Beto is, he has internet and minimal repair facilities......I have a different email address maybe outdated..Punta Sanfrancisquito is the Southern bay with 2 landing strips and a “resort “; that’s where Juan, Rosa and Lionel are. ( Genaros place )....Last time there internet, great meals & lodging. Supposedly purchased by Slim, but in the land of tall tales who knows... Probably my mostest favotitest place on earth ( if you can handle it....)....By the way the beach is STUNNING....

Barry A. - 1-3-2020 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
.... From what I understand, Puerto Sanfrancisquito is the Northern bay where Beto is, he has internet and minimal repair facilities......I have a different email address maybe outdated..Punta Sanfrancisquito is the Southern bay with 2 landing strips and a “resort “; that’s where Juan, Rosa and Lionel are. ( Genaros place )....Last time there internet, great meals & lodging. Supposedly purchased by Slim, but in the land of tall tales who knows... Probably my mostest favotitest place on earth ( if you can handle it....)....By the way the beach is STUNNING....

I heartily agree, Driver. My favorite location on the entire mid-coast. Even run down it is great!!!

bobrehfuss - 1-3-2020 at 09:32 PM

David as always you are correct about the names and locations of the two different spots and for those that haven’t been there they are only about a five min dirt road drive apart.

Beto is very hospitable but I only spent an afternoon with him as I stayed at Pta SF.

Driver, I agree it’s about my most favoritest place and great fishing from the beach/rocks out front.

Unfortunately, Rosa passed away from cancer last year and it’s just Juan and his son Leonel there now.

As of a couple months ago, according to Leonel Pta SF is still owned by the same family from mainland that has owned it for years. Not sure if that is Slim or not but I got the impression it’s the same original owners since it’s inception decades ago.

EAE2BF87-3907-484E-9FD9-2E441138ECE9.jpeg - 243kB

4x4abc - 1-3-2020 at 10:09 PM

CFE is planning on building some big stuff - they might be the ones acquiring land
plan is to connect Baja to the mainland grid
supposed to happen with a high voltage sea floor cable
that cable is DC
a sub station is to convert back to AC will be close to San Francisquito

like paving roads - it might happen next year
could be in 10 years from now

C205Driver - 1-4-2020 at 08:16 AM

..... What I got from Genaro before he died was that his family from around San Quintin ( potato farming ) owned the land... I seem to recall that his wife may have sold the property approximately 20 years ago?.... Don’t think I’ve heard same story twice about current ownership....

David K - 1-4-2020 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
CFE is planning on building some big stuff - they might be the ones acquiring land
plan is to connect Baja to the mainland grid
supposed to happen with a high voltage sea floor cable
that cable is DC
a sub station is to convert back to AC will be close to San Francisquito

like paving roads - it might happen next year
could be in 10 years from now

A road paralleling the gulf coast from Santa Rosalia north to El Barril would sure be an economic boost and shorter drive between the two points. Does what the No Wimps Trail did without the slow speed and need for 4WD. Someday, maybe 100 years from now, a paved road will parallel the Pacific (Seven Sisters) coast, opening up economic resources and ending some of the isolation there, too.

del mar - 1-4-2020 at 12:53 PM

well my two cents into the rumor mill.......senor Slim does own it all and his concern is in lithium mining. thats all I got :D

C205Driver - 1-4-2020 at 07:28 PM

.... About 15 years ago spent 7 nights there and we were the only ones there except for the occasional dirt bagger or pilot wanting fuel or food... The vehicles there that picked you up along with your gear all had screwdrivers as ignition key....

advrider - 1-4-2020 at 08:54 PM

Didn't realize they were that close to each other. Very sad news about Rosa, they were always nice and took care of us when we were there. Food was always good and plentiful. Always stayed in the hamburgler suit...

C205Driver - 1-4-2020 at 09:11 PM

.... Yes, sad about Rosa, always a great meal, we were there shortly after her husband Mingo died.... Quick story: 1st time there after landing, got a ride in their van to the kitchen and Charry & Xavier were in the kitchen with their pet donkey & small dog....

Bajazly - 1-4-2020 at 11:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

A road paralleling the gulf coast from Santa Rosalia north to El Barril would sure be an economic boost and shorter drive between the two points. Does what the No Wimps Trail did without the slow speed and need for 4WD. Someday, maybe 100 years from now, a paved road will parallel the Pacific (Seven Sisters) coast, opening up economic resources and ending some of the isolation there, too.

Won't that be just peachy? Get all those people to all the cool places faster than ever. What could go wrong with that plan?

There is a reason people live in those isolated places and I'm pretty sure it's not because they are waiting for high speed roads and and a butt load more people to come and visit them.

rzitren - 1-5-2020 at 08:50 AM

Here is the history of the resort and cabanas as I know it. First The, the resort is on Bahia Santa Theresa. The Point is Punta San Francisqito and the bay where Beto is located is Puerto San Francisquito. The Property for the resort was originally bought by a two men,one from Tijuana and a silent partner from Tecoman in Colima. The cabanas and runways were developed by a group from northern California. They and a couple of men from southern California ran the resort until the early eighties. Then the man from Tijuana took it back over and his son Genaro ran it for awhile. After a couple of years, Genaro went back to Tijuana and the place was abandoned for a few years and the one of the other sons took over. He placed Javier and Chary there and they got everything up and running.After quite a few years, Genero came back to run the resort but fell sick with cancer and had to return to Tijuana where he died. Juan and Rosa were friends and came in to run the place. In around 2006, the family in Tijuana decided to sell the property and it was purchased by a group from Mexico City that we believe is part of the Carlos Slim group. That is the partial history as I know it as we were there from 1980 to 2007.

David K - 1-5-2020 at 09:47 AM

rzitren: A good recap! In 1980-82, I worked at an irrigation store in La Mesa that specialized in drip irrigation supplies. Someone came in and wanted to set up a drip system for some trees (palms?) at a "new resort" in Baja: Punta San Francisquito.
He was surprised that I knew about it!
Actually, the resort was up and running in the early 1970s. It is detailed in the 1974 guide Baja Traveler published by Airguide Publications (primarily for pilots). In Arnold Senterfitt's Airports of Baja 1969 edition, the resort was announced as being under construction and the 1974 edition has it completed. I can post the pages if interested.

Bajazly: A hate paved roads in Baja! It is a prediction I make and not a desire!

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by David K]

DawnPatrol - 1-5-2020 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rzitren  
Here is the history of the resort and cabanas as I know it. First The, the resort is on Bahia Santa Theresa. The Point is Punta San Francisqito and the bay where Beto is located is Puerto San Francisquito. The Property for the resort was originally bought by a two men,one from Tijuana and a silent partner from Tecoman in Colima. The cabanas and runways were developed by a group from northern California. They and a couple of men from southern California ran the resort until the early eighties. Then the man from Tijuana took it back over and his son Genaro ran it for awhile. After a couple of years, Genaro went back to Tijuana and the place was abandoned for a few years and the one of the other sons took over. He placed Javier and Chary there and they got everything up and running.After quite a few years, Genero came back to run the resort but fell sick with cancer and had to return to Tijuana where he died. Juan and Rosa were friends and came in to run the place. In around 2006, the family in Tijuana decided to sell the property and it was purchased by a group from Mexico City that we believe is part of the Carlos Slim group. That is the partial history as I know it as we were there from 1980 to 2007.

I used to go there in the day and flew in on a friends 205. Wasn't a caretaker there electrocuted and passed away? I seem to remeber something about that

C205Driver - 1-5-2020 at 07:27 PM

... Electrocuted at the bar which is no longer there...

advrider - 1-5-2020 at 07:53 PM

WOW, quit the history. I hope someone will fix it back up without making it a resort. The first time I was there around 2000?, there was an older couple in a Suzuki Samurai that had broken almost all of the leaf springs on the drive down from BOLA! I remember they were sitting in front of one of the shacks with a big smile and a watermelon, they said it was about day five of the repairs but they were in no hurry.
The guys were using springs off of boat trailer and a truck, cutting them down and making new ends.. That place is magical, I've seen dolphins pods swim by only a few feet off shore.

The bar at Punta San Francisquito

Stickers - 1-6-2020 at 04:30 PM

Here I am with Genaro about 30 years ago. It was mostly a self-serve bar and you put a check by your name every time you took a beer out of the cooler.
You can see on the back wall all the business cards of everyone who came though PSF back in those days.
I you wanted lobster for dinner Genaro would row his boat out past the surf and dive off grabbing one off the bottom. Dinner was $8 for lobster rice and beans.

Version 2.jpg - 234kB

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by Stickers]

David K - 1-6-2020 at 05:50 PM

The really Good Old Days!

C205Driver - 1-6-2020 at 07:41 PM

Stickers... Thanks for the photo!....

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 08:49 PM

About 15 years ago was the first time we stopped in. Back then we use to do only boating. We came down from BoLA and anchored behind Beto's place for the night.

Skipped across the mid-drift islands into Kino bay the next morning, and then went down the Sonora coast to San Carlos. Think it was the very first trip report I posted on the board.

We rode into San Francisquito with our bikes about 2 years ago. Beto's place is, let's just say, "very interesting" and "spooky." I have tons of pics of it. One of my guys was begging to leave in the middle of the night.

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by JZ]

Pacifico - 1-6-2020 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
About 15 years ago was the first time we stopped in. Back then we use to do only boating. We came down from BoLA and anchored behind Beto's place for the night.

Skipped across the mid-drift islands into Kino bay the next morning, and then went down the Sonora coast to San Carlos. Think it was the very first trip report I posted on the board.

We rode into San Francisquito with our bikes about 2 years ago. Beto's place is, let's just say, "very interesting" and "spooky." I have tons of pics of it. One of my guys was begging to leave in the middle of the night.

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by JZ]

Check your u2u

advrider - 1-6-2020 at 09:29 PM

What kind of interesting, spooky are we talking? Tweaker meth lab, zombie apocalypses kind of thing, or haunted ghost kind of scary?

rzitren - 1-6-2020 at 10:15 PM

Around 1990 or so,a mexican worker named Pericles was trying to fix the ice machine with Genaro. The floor was covered with water and when he reached in to see if the compressor was working he was electrocuted. We tried to revive him with no luck. I flew Genaro out the next morning to alert the authorities.

Tioloco - 1-7-2020 at 09:23 AM

A few years ago, my wife, daughter and I camped on the beach in front of the pier. We went up to the house first and spoke with the guy that owns it. Super nice guy. Great spot for a night and the hot showers were perfect. Nothing spooky. Look forward to camping there again soon.

As for the resort on the other side- it has obviously seen better days but is still a really nice beach to hang out on. Big house just north of the resort was cool to look around in but sad to see how nice it once was and how dilapidated it has become. Same thing for the couple of beach houses on the south side of the resort.

John Harper - 1-7-2020 at 09:36 AM

My dad and I were going to fly into San Francisquito back in 1974, but the trip never came together so we flew into BDLA and stayed at Papa Diaz' place. The road from Hwy 1 was not completed at the time, and Hwy 1 had just opened all the way IIRC. I always wondered what SFQ would have been like to see back then.

John

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by John Harper]

Tioloco - 1-7-2020 at 09:44 AM

Anyone know who built the vacation homes and what happened to the owners?

Two 1974 book pages:

David K - 1-7-2020 at 10:14 AM

BAJA TRAVELER:

AIRPORTS of BAJA CALIFORNIA:

1987 & 1998 Airport Guides

David K - 1-7-2020 at 10:28 AM

1987 AIRPORTS of BAJA CALIFORNIA:

1998: AIR BAJA!

del mar - 1-7-2020 at 11:59 AM

we made a number of trips out there in the 80's at that time the camp host was a fellow named Gallo, very nice man. the thing that struck us was the poor fishing!

PaulW - 1-8-2020 at 07:52 AM

Historical reports are interesting. Nowadays except for Beto's place the rest is a dump and not worth the drive to verify.

rzitren - 1-8-2020 at 08:05 AM

Myself and and a friend built the the white house with the red tile roof in 1983. We had a contractor, Roberto Curiel, out of Tijuana help us. He had been convinced by the owners of the property that if he built a model home he would have a number of Americans want houses. There were plans for 500 homes with a golf course and taxi ways from the runways to the homes. Obviously that never happened.

The old Rock house was built by the people that built the cabanas and was rented on and off for years.

The house at the far south end of the beach is actually not part of the resort but was built by a man out of Jamul, CA who sold generators and other survival products.

The house on the hill behind it was built for one of the property owners right after the cabanas were built.

The house on the hill to the north was built for the property owner, who was Genaro's father, from Tijuana right after ours was built, around 1984 and was used on and off for years by him and his family and friends.

David K - 1-8-2020 at 08:59 AM

Thanks rzitren, nice to know how it happened! I wonder if it was the Jamul person I met at the La Mesa irrigation store in the early 1980s? He didn't specify it was for the resort itself, just said he wanted to water trees/ landscape at Punta San Francisquito.

Tioloco - 1-8-2020 at 12:00 PM

Thank you, rzitren.
I have always been curious. Do you still have your house?

paranewbi - 1-8-2020 at 12:22 PM

Myself and and a friend built the the white house with the red tile roof in 1983. We had a contractor, Roberto Curiel, out of Tijuana help us. He had been convinced by the owners of the property that if he built a model home he would have a number of Americans want houses. There were plans for 500 homes with a golf course and taxi ways from the runways to the homes. Obviously that never happened.

The old Rock house was built by the people that built the cabanas and was rented on and off for years.

The house at the far south end of the beach is actually not part of the resort but was built by a man out of Jamul, CA who sold generators and other survival products.

The house on the hill behind it was built for one of the property owners right after the cabanas were built.

The house on the hill to the north was built for the property owner, who was Genaro's father, from Tijuana right after ours was built, around 1984 and was used on and off for years by him and his family and friends.

2nd wife was there around that time I think...she was flown in with someone to build a home. A couple of free divers came in and one of them ended up drowning. They put the body in a jeep and transported it over to GN (?). She was pretty freaked out doing the night drive with a body in the back. Does that ring any bells?

Pacifico - 1-8-2020 at 03:03 PM

You must know Roger and Sue....unless they came after you.

Hardy built the house at the far south end. He passed a few years ago and now 3 partners own it.

Howard was the last to live in the rock house and has since passed as well...

The "resort" has slowly gone downhill slowly ever since Chary and Javier moved on.

rzitren - 1-8-2020 at 05:58 PM

Yes, Roger and Sue were our partners in the house. We were forced out when the property was sold. We had a great time there but times have changed. Worked out well for us.

JZ - 1-8-2020 at 06:05 PM

Yes, Roger and Sue were our partners in the house. We were forced out when the property was sold. We had a great time there but times have changed. Worked out well for us.

Do you have any old pics? I'm sure folks would love to see them.

[Edited on 1-9-2020 by JZ]

rzitren - 1-8-2020 at 07:45 PM

I will try to scan them next week and post them. I may need help in that department. We kept photo journals from the beginning.

honda tom - 1-9-2020 at 10:28 AM

Late 90s we would ride in knowing when we got there Chary would take care of us. The menu was asada, lobster, scallops, shrimp, catch of the day... the beers were plenty and cold.. the beds clean and the showers hot.
Around 2000 on a "no wimps trail" run, 6 of us pulled in to find the resort packed... 8 vehicles and 3 planes were there, cabanas full. Chary had workers bring 6 cots with beding and set them up in the bar. Same type of menu... and beers all night!

Year or so later was when I first met Genaro at the resort. 2 of us "veterans" brought 3 newbies down. We had been talking up this SF place to them for a month! Place was still nice.. but the menu was gone! It was shreaded beef... or yellowtail. there was still a fair amount of people staying there... but it wasn't the same. Genaro sat in the kitchen and watched us drink beers.... he would periodically walk over and inspect the "check it yourself" beer clipboard, to make sure we weren't ripping him off.

It wasn't long after a couple of us made another trip there... Chary actually asked us to "blast" Genaro on the internet.

Its still such a beautiful place.... Now we bring our own beer and food, we pay Juan to cook for us.... then we go shower and sleep at Betos.

Juans a nice enough guy.. I could see how he could be a little intimidating to a first time visitor (especially if you brought wife and kids). Juan drinks a lot... and doesn't start up much conversation... if you engage him.. he will show you what hes working on and talk it up. It just like he doesn't care if you stay there or move on.

The place has an erie feel to it now.... broken boats and cars everywhere...lines of plywood shacks with bed on the floor... trash and debris, all of this 100 feet away from your dream view cabana... as long as your looking east.

Oh well...……….

Marc - 1-9-2020 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Late 90s we would ride in knowing when we got there Chary would take care of us. The menu was asada, lobster, scallops, shrimp, catch of the day... the beers were plenty and cold.. the beds clean and the showers hot.
Around 2000 on a "no wimps trail" run, 6 of us pulled in to find the resort packed... 8 vehicles and 3 planes were there, cabanas full. Chary had workers bring 6 cots with beding and set them up in the bar. Same type of menu... and beers all night!

Year or so later was when I first met Genaro at the resort. 2 of us "veterans" brought 3 newbies down. We had been talking up this SF place to them for a month! Place was still nice.. but the menu was gone! It was shreaded beef... or yellowtail. there was still a fair amount of people staying there... but it wasn't the same. Genaro sat in the kitchen and watched us drink beers.... he would periodically walk over and inspect the "check it yourself" beer clipboard, to make sure we weren't ripping him off.

It wasn't long after a couple of us made another trip there... Chary actually asked us to "blast" Genaro on the internet.

Its still such a beautiful place.... Now we bring our own beer and food, we pay Juan to cook for us.... then we go shower and sleep at Betos.

Juans a nice enough guy.. I could see how he could be a little intimidating to a first time visitor (especially if you brought wife and kids). Juan drinks a lot... and doesn't start up much conversation... if you engage him.. he will show you what hes working on and talk it up. It just like he doesn't care if you stay there or move on.

The place has an erie feel to it now.... broken boats and cars everywhere...lines of plywood shacks with bed on the floor... trash and debris, all of this 100 feet away from your dream view cabana... as long as your looking east.

Oh well...……….

We were there last year. Sad.

David K - 1-9-2020 at 11:04 AM

I was there on New Years 2017... looked pretty bad (as described above). I really was hoping to read that fresh blood and new life would have been injected into this stunning location. Three years later, sounds pretty dismal still.

If they [re]build it, will they come?

del mar - 1-9-2020 at 11:35 AM

there was talk about Malcolm building an offroad type resort in the gonzaga area.......how perfect would PSF be? course you'd have to convince senor slim!

C205Driver - 1-9-2020 at 04:32 PM

Bit of history... Was flying down to Mulege, then up to PSFO, then home... On 122.9 and a twin ( Los medicos Volodares )was conversing with a single ( engine ) and twin was watching fuel leaking out of the right gas cap enroute to Ensenada.... Beto’s wife had hitched a ride on the twin... Twin crashed at Ensenada and my friend Milt had to identify the bodies ... Didn’t find out until we got to PSFO.... Was leaking fuel part of the reason, I don’t know.....

Tioloco - 1-9-2020 at 04:37 PM

Bit of history... Was flying down to Mulege, then up to PSFO, then home... On 122.9 and a twin ( Los medicos Volodares )was conversing with a single ( engine ) and twin was watching fuel leaking out of the right gas cap enroute to Ensenada.... Beto’s wife had hitched a ride on the twin... Twin crashed at Ensenada and my friend Milt had to identify the bodies ... Didn’t find out until we got to PSFO.... Was leaking fuel part of the reason, I don’t know.....

Sad to hear. What year was that?

rzitren - 1-9-2020 at 05:22 PM

I had heard that the pilot was concerned that his landing gear was not down and locked. He was making passes at the Ensenada airport so his friends could check the gear. I was told he got too slow and stalled the plane as he turned downwind. Debra had asked for a ride for herself and her daughter but he only had one seat available.

Alm - 1-9-2020 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sparetimewanted  
Any Nomads live in PSF? I am planning a quick kayak trip for later in the Spring and am considering a trip from BOLA, and would like to ask a few questions. Please PM if willing to share some info. Muchas gracias y Feliz Anomaly's Nuevo!

Rick

You will likely get fresh water there if this is what you want. Not much else. If you're planning continuing to El Barril after PSF, and are not running out of water, it is not worth paddling the long cove in, and then out, unnecessarily adding good one hour of paddling to your route. There are 2 adjacent coves without road access just before the point separating it from the PSF bay. I think the first cove (coming from North) was where I camped.

(PS: love the suggestion "...close the gate after you pass", Considering that the guy is in a kayak).

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by Alm]

David K - 1-9-2020 at 06:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

(PS: love the suggestion "...close the gate after you pass", Considering that the guy is in a kayak).

LOL, right?
It was the caption attached to the photo of the gate, on the road, for those who drive there.

Rossman - 1-9-2020 at 08:54 PM

Interesting. The guy asks a question and gets 3 pages of comments and he has never logged on again after posting the question. Nor has he read the U2U that I send him with some first hand kayaking experience at SF

advrider - 1-9-2020 at 09:04 PM

O'well, glad he asked because it started a good topic!

JZ - 1-9-2020 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Interesting. The guy asks a question and gets 3 pages of comments and he has never logged on again after posting the question. Nor has he read the U2U that I send him with some first hand kayaking experience at SF

It started one of the more interesting recent threads.

[Edited on 1-10-2020 by JZ]

C205Driver - 1-10-2020 at 11:46 AM

rzitren.... Was at PSFO one time when a good chubasco hit at night; we all ran to our airplanes to tie them down. A C210 fired up & taxied to a tiedown site; might that have been you?

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2020 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

maybe he is away having fun on a kayak trip

rzitren - 1-11-2020 at 08:39 AM

rzitren.... Was at PSFO one time when a good chubasco hit at night; we all ran to our airplanes to tie them down. A C210 fired up & taxied to a tiedown site; might that have been you?

Yes,that probably was me. It was about 2am if I remember. After awhile I would always tie down on the gravel between the two runways so I wouldn’t have to get up in the middle of the night.