BajaNomad

Global Entry Questions

Santiago - 1-5-2020 at 08:19 AM

We are going to our interview soon. Assuming we make it, how does it work at the border crossing? How do we register our vehicle and must everyone in the vehicle have GE in order to use the Sentri lanes?
On our next trip, we are flying to SAN, renting a car and driving across. I assume that we can not use the sentry lanes because the rental car is not on our list?

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by Santiago]

larryC - 1-5-2020 at 08:53 AM

Jim, Yes everyone in the car must have a Sentri or GE pass and no the rental car is not allowed. GE is designed for people flying into the US so no vehicle permit is included in the $100/5 year GE fee. Sentri is for people driving into the US so the $122.50 fee includes a vehicle permit. I added a second vehicle to my Sentri and it cost me $44. Not sure how to do it with GE but I'm sure you can. Also don't know what it costs to add a vehicle to your GE pass. Look at your GOES web page it probably explains it there. I don't know about now but when I added the second car to my Sentri it took a couple of months to get approval. That was a couple of years ago. If you are going to mostly drive back into the US the Sentri pass is a little cheaper, but your passengers are better off only getting a GE pass.
Maybe someone else with more knowledge can enlighten us on why the CPB cares what vehicle we drive back into the US?

bajaguy - 1-5-2020 at 09:05 AM

If you vehicle is already in the SENTRI system, no problem

If not, go to your Trusted Traveler account (GOES went away several years ago) and scroll through the pages until you get to the vehicle page. You will be able to add (or delete) vehicle(s).

When we added a new vehicle to our account in May, it took about 21 days

BajaParrothead - 1-5-2020 at 11:40 AM

When I signed up for GE, the form had a place for which vehicle(s) I wanted associated with the program. I haven't had my interview yet, but I'll clarify at that time.

freediverbrian - 1-5-2020 at 11:49 AM

At our interview nothing was asked about vehicles. Our vehicles where registered during the application process, no extra fees for additional vehicles.

BajaParrothead - 1-5-2020 at 12:05 PM

Thanks Brian, that's what I was thinking.

Bajazly - 1-5-2020 at 12:45 PM

With GE they look at your registration info at the interview and supposedly your first trip across is when they do the inspection of said vehicle. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as a secondary inspection and was over in less than 10 minutes and they were very nice about everything.

The Mexicali East crossing seems to be about the quickest to get an appointment for the interview too, they are generally days out, not months.

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
GE is designed for people flying into the US so no vehicle permit is included in the $100/5 year GE fee. Sentri is for people driving into the US so the $122.50 fee includes a vehicle permit.

This isn't correct. Both offer the same privileges regarding driving and flying. The biggest difference is who can get which regarding foreign nationals. Sentri is more lenient.

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
With GE they look at your registration info at the interview and supposedly your first trip across is when they do the inspection of said vehicle. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as a secondary inspection and was over in less than 10 minutes and they were very nice about everything.

The Mexicali East crossing seems to be about the quickest to get an appointment for the interview too, they are generally days out, not months.

They might have done this at one point, but they no longer look at your registration or inspect your vehicle.

You type your vehicle information in when doing your application. That's it.

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 01:51 PM

What ppl do when not everyone has Sentri that's in the car, is that they drive up to about as close as you can to the gate and let the passenger out to walk across.

Not sure how much time that saves, but I see ppl do it all the time.

thebajarunner - 1-5-2020 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What ppl do when not everyone has Sentri that's in the car, is that they drive up to about as close as you can to the gate and let the passenger out to walk across.

I believe that is illegal....
I know people that do it regularly and hope to not get caught

bajaguy - 1-5-2020 at 02:23 PM

Easy to do at Otay

larryC - 1-5-2020 at 04:03 PM

GE is designed for people flying into the US so no vehicle permit is included in the $100/5 year GE fee. Sentri is for people driving into the US so the $122.50 fee includes a vehicle permit.

This isn't correct. Both offer the same privileges regarding driving and flying. The biggest difference is who can get which regarding foreign nationals. Sentri is more lenient.

So you are saying that the GE pass allows you to register a vehicle and the total is $100 for 5 years?

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 05:07 PM

Yes.

Sentri has one benefit. All your minor kids are free. GE requires each to pay $100.

Bajazly - 1-5-2020 at 06:25 PM

They might have done this at one point, but they no longer look at your registration or inspect your vehicle.

You type your vehicle information in when doing your application. That's it.

Yes you type your info into the application about your vehicle and if you don't bring the registration to the appointment they can and did make me go back to my truck and get the it so they can look at it and yes some don't get inspected but I did after the officer told me I might get called in the first 5 times and if I did just grin and bear it because if you b-tch they can and will yank your card.

She even asked me if I had a cracked windshield and although they don't have the reader sticker anymore they can write you up for one of your two warnings if they see fit.

For time frame reference, I did my interview this past August and there was a spiel about vehicle inspection on the app page but it wasn't clear on how it worked.

larryC - 1-6-2020 at 09:32 AM

Yes.

Sentri has one benefit. All your minor kids are free. GE requires each to pay $100.

Thanks JZ for the clarification, I did my Sentri 5 or 6 years ago so my memory has probaly faded a little.

Ryan - 1-6-2020 at 09:45 AM

One thing I learned last week is that you can not use your GE card to get an FMM at the San Ysidro port of entry. Mexico does not recognize the GE, and requires at minimum the passport card in order to issue an FMM. The FMM is now $38 for 180 days

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 05:20 PM

Yes you type your info into the application about your vehicle and if you don't bring the registration to the appointment they can and did make me go back to my truck and get the it so they can look at it and yes some don't get inspected but I did after the officer told me I might get called in the first 5 times and if I did just grin and bear it because if you b-tch they can and will yank your card.

She even asked me if I had a cracked windshield and although they don't have the reader sticker anymore they can write you up for one of your two warnings if they see fit.

For time frame reference, I did my interview this past August and there was a spiel about vehicle inspection on the app page but it wasn't clear on how it worked.

Ok, I vaguely remember them saying to bring the registration. Brought it, they didn't ask for it.

Haven't had an inspection.

David K - 1-6-2020 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ryan  
One thing I learned last week is that you can not use your GE card to get an FMM at the San Ysidro port of entry. Mexico does not recognize the GE, and requires at minimum the passport card in order to issue an FMM. The FMM is now $38 for 180 days

Was that at the border or at the Travel Club, and do you recall the amount in pesos if at the border?

Sounds like a big jump in taxing tourists (it was about $26 last year)... along with the new tourist tax hit in Baja Sur that recently got added.

jbcoug - 1-6-2020 at 08:45 PM

I already had Global Entry. After reading this thread, I signed into my account, entered the information about my truck, and paid $42. Will see if and when it is approved?

larryC - 1-6-2020 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jbcoug  
I already had Global Entry. After reading this thread, I signed into my account, entered the information about my truck, and paid $42. Will see if and when it is approved?

JB, so you are saying you didn't have a vehicle registered with GE and to include a vehicle with GE cost you an extra $42. Is that correct? And just out of curiosity had you used your GE to drive your vehicle across the border before it was approved?

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 09:32 PM

JB, so you are saying you didn't have a vehicle registered with GE and to include a vehicle with GE cost you an extra $42. Is that correct? And just out of curiosity had you used your GE to drive your vehicle across the border before it was approved?

For sure, if you do GE and register your vehicle at the initial application there isn't an extra cost. Just $100.

I don't know if there is a cost to do it after the fact.

Not sure the cost, procedure, or ability to add additional vehicles? Can anyone help with that?

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 1-6-2020 at 09:37 PM

I will let you know Monday night when I enter CBP in Phoenix and do my interview. I'll take the truck reg just in case and I'll be sure to ask about it.

LosCabosbound - 1-6-2020 at 11:53 PM

With my application, I listed 3 cars. 1st was included in the initial $100.00 fee. Each additional was I believe $42.00 each. Had the registration for all 3. I had paid the $100.00 application fee with a Wells Fargo credit card and wasrefunded the $100.00 fee as a perk. I believe quit a few of the credit card companies are offering this incentive. Whole process from application sent to interview to card in hand was just over 3 weeks. Impressive . This was in Oct 2019

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by LosCabosbound]

BajaParrothead - 1-7-2020 at 07:47 AM

Did they request the registrations during the interview?

Ryan - 1-7-2020 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Ryan  

Was that at the border or at the Travel Club, and do you recall the amount in pesos if at the border?

Sounds like a big jump in taxing tourists (it was about $26 last year)... along with the new tourist tax hit in Baja Sur that recently got added.

This was inside the office at the San Ysidro border. My son reminded me that it was $558 so it's actually closer to $31 dollars not $38.

BajaParrothead - 1-14-2020 at 09:07 PM

Last night I passed through CBP at Phoenix and completed my interview which concluded the process for me. At the interview the officer requested my truck registration and proof of insurance. I had he registration with me, but I did not anticipate his request for the insurance. I explained that the insurance was in the glove box 700 miles north and he just told me to be sure I have it ready for inspection on the first time I cross in the GE/Sentri lane. Very low key!!
I also asked about adding another vehicle later on and he said it would be $42. He asked if I had any family members under the same roof that would be joining the program in the future. He told me to add the vehicle at that time under their name and there would be no additional charge.

Santiago - 1-15-2020 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
Last night I passed through CBP at Phoenix and completed my interview which concluded the process for me. At the interview the officer requested my truck registration and proof of insurance. I had he registration with me, but I did not anticipate his request for the insurance. I explained that the insurance was in the glove box 700 miles north and he just told me to be sure I have it ready for inspection on the first time I cross in the GE/Sentri lane. Very low key!!
I also asked about adding another vehicle later on and he said it would be $42. He asked if I had any family members under the same roof that would be joining the program in the future. He told me to add the vehicle at that time under their name and there would be no additional charge.

Thank you very much, I will make sure I have my POI with me.

Santiago - 1-26-2020 at 01:35 PM

OK, we both passed our interview and now have our cards. However, they would not let me register my truck at the appointment as some have reported. I had to go online, pay the $41 fee and fill out the forms. If I understood the regs (big IF these days), Nexus is for crossing from Canada and I don't need to register the vehicle so any vehicle is ok. But using Sentry from Mexico must be with registered vehicle. Everyone in the vehicle must have Nexus/GE/Sentry.
You experts agree?

Bajazly - 1-26-2020 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
But using Sentry from Mexico must be with registered vehicle. Everyone in the vehicle must have Nexus/GE/Sentry.
You experts agree?

Agreed.

Which Lane??

bajaguy - 1-26-2020 at 02:51 PM

Be sure you use the SENTRI lane and not the Sentry lane..............

Santiago - 1-26-2020 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Be sure you use the SENTRI lane and not the Sentry lane..............

:lol::lol:

DavidT - 1-27-2020 at 04:01 AM

For those of us who’ve not yet reached 100 years of age can we still use the century lane?

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2020 at 07:18 AM

Hahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whiskey Witch - 1-27-2020 at 09:44 PM

We had our interviews at the San Francisco airport on 1/18. We received our global entry cards today! We had our vehicle info with us but the agent did not want to see it and said that we can cross the border in any vehicle. We paid for the $100 application fee with a Capital One Venture credit card and Capital One refunded the fee!

BajaParrothead - 1-27-2020 at 09:57 PM

I also used my Venture, but I didn't notice a refund. I'll go back through my statements :light:

EDIT: They took my $100 on September 30 and I have not received a refund on the card.

[Edited on 1-28-2020 by BajaParrothead]

Sunman - 1-29-2020 at 01:33 PM

I have my GE appointment scheduled in May...I added my truck at the time of application. Here's the rub, my truck has a Four Wheel Camper attached to it, and if I recall from older SENTRI threads of the past, campers were a no-no for SENTRI. There was no mention about campers on the GE website when adding a vehicle...just wondering if anything has changed WRT campers? I will definitely mention it when i go to the interview. Hoping it's no longer an issue. Anybody have vehicles with campers registered under GE vs. SENTRI??

BajaParrothead - 1-29-2020 at 10:40 PM

Yes Sunman, my GE pickup has a shell and I didn't see anything in the application regarding campers or covered beds. I haven't tried to cross with it yet. I'm very curious to read what you find out in your interview.

It might come down to who you get as the interviewer. I saw a previous post that stated CBP interviewer indicated that all vehicles were good to go, not just a specific enrolled vehicle. :?:

tjsue - 1-30-2020 at 10:59 AM

Mine is still pending, I applied and paid on 10/09/2019.

BajaParrothead - 1-30-2020 at 06:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
Mine is still pending, I applied and paid on 10/09/2019.

Have you received a "conditional approval"? Have you completed your intereview yet?
Within 24 hours of the app, I received a conditional approval pending my interview. At the conclusion of the interview, the agent told my I was approved and the card came approximately 10 days later.

Whale-ista - 1-30-2020 at 09:04 PM

Re:trucks with campers:

I have had basic camper shells on various trucks (Leer & Callen) and have driven them via SENTRI for many years without problems. One agent asked how long I've had the truck- which made me think the rules have changed over the years. But in general- no problems.

That said: Having a 4WCamper may be a bit different- there are cupboards & storage areas not easily seen from the outside, so you may attract a more aggressive search.

But in my experience- the trucks/campers are more likely to be inspected when I'm heading SB than NB.

BajaParrothead - 1-31-2020 at 09:40 AM

Thank you for the update Whale-ista!

Sunman - 1-31-2020 at 11:22 AM

Whale-ista,
Thanks for the response, and yes, I generally a get a quick look into my camper when heading SB. Will definitely clearly explain my vehicle situation at my interview, fingers crossed.

The camper issue is the only reason I didn't do this years ago, I was applying for GE just for my air travel, I always thought you had to have SENTRI if you were driving across the border, never knew you could add vehicles under GE...if this pans out it will be a HUGE win!:bounce:

kowalsn - 2-5-2020 at 09:37 AM

I live in northern California, and all of the Sentri enrollment centers are far away and along the border. If I apply for Global Entry (which has an enrollment center in San Francisco), do I need to have my vehicle inspected at a Sentri enrollment center? Below is what the US Customs and Border Protection website says.

"Global Entry members who wish to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lanes, must register their vehicle with CBP and schedule an appointment at a SENTRI enrollment center to conduct a 7-point vehicle inspection."

Thanks

Bajazly - 2-5-2020 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kowalsn  
I live in northern California, and all of the Sentri enrollment centers are far away and along the border. If I apply for Global Entry (which has an enrollment center in San Francisco), do I need to have my vehicle inspected at a Sentri enrollment center? Below is what the US Customs and Border Protection website says.

"Global Entry members who wish to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lanes, must register their vehicle with CBP and schedule an appointment at a SENTRI enrollment center to conduct a 7-point vehicle inspection."

Thanks

The first time you cross with your new card is when they will pull you into secondary for the inspection, or they may not, some get inspected and some don't from what I hear.

If you have a trip to Baja planned, the Calexico office usually has little wait for interviews too.