BajaNomad

RIP Windows 7

Bajazly - 1-5-2020 at 06:40 PM

Welcome to what Mac has been like for years and years.

BajaBlanca - 1-5-2020 at 07:11 PM

I upgraded too, two weeks ago, and you know what I found? One can automatically resize photos to put them up here on bajanomad.

So wonderful!

55steve - 1-5-2020 at 08:08 PM

Installed Win 10 when it first was offered - easiest OS install I've ever had and zero issues ever since.

advrider - 1-5-2020 at 08:09 PM

I bought a new computer a few weeks about but have been thinking of upgrading the old one as a back up-travel computer. Do you have to pay for the upgrade or are there free ones?

tjsue - 1-5-2020 at 08:13 PM

I'll upgrade when I need to replace my computer.

pauldavidmena - 1-7-2020 at 09:24 AM

I like the fact that MacOS runs UNIX under the covers, but not the fact that I have to buy my hardware exclusively from Apple ecosystem. Windows will run on a greater variety of hardware, but Microsoft's planned obsolescence guarantees that most software and some hardware (e.g. older printers) will not work after an upgrade. My wife experienced both when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, although she's otherwise happy with the change.

I run Debian Linux on my laptop, as it's lightweight and features an abundance of free software. I don't mind tinkering to get things like Bluetooth and wireless printing to work, as I usually buy refurbished laptops at a fraction of new ones. To each his (or her) own, I guess.

BajaNomad - 1-7-2020 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

You might not be able to do it next week, though, who knows what evil lurks in the minds of Redmond.

:lol:

BajaNomad - 1-7-2020 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

I run Debian Linux on my laptop, as it's lightweight and features an abundance of free software. I don't mind tinkering to get things like Bluetooth and wireless printing to work, as I usually buy refurbished laptops at a fraction of new ones. To each his (or her) own, I guess.

Just bought three Dell Latitude laptops (Intel i5's) off ebay. All with clean Win 10 installs.

I wiped the Win 10, and installed Linux Mint.

Posting this from a Chromebook.

:)

BajaBlanca - 5-2-2023 at 06:46 AM

Welcome WandaCC!

pauldavidmena - 5-2-2023 at 07:46 AM

My workplace, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, still has Windows 7 running on some computers, especially those on research vessels that connect to specialized instruments running custom software. As a non-profit, we rarely throw anything out, but rather keep it limping along with duct tape and chewing gum.

AKgringo - 5-2-2023 at 08:31 AM

I hope the VA clinic in Anchorage has moved to a new platform by now, but as of five years ago they were still using Windows XP.

JDCanuck - 5-2-2023 at 09:57 AM

It would be great if Windows 10 and 11 were as stable as Windows XP was and still is. I too use as an alternative linux on my older computers when i get frustrated with the crashes on Windows 10. Fewer and fewer new programs will run on either Linux or Windows 7, so I am forced back to Windows 10 more and more frequently lately.
Apple users I know continue to report great stability and much faster operation.

[Edited on 5-2-2023 by JDCanuck]

David K - 5-2-2023 at 05:30 PM

I think this machine started as Windows 7, and was upgraded to Windows 10 pretty early on... been great. When the option to upgrade to Windows 11 was offered recently, my computer-smart friends said, "NO"!

PaulW - 5-7-2023 at 04:26 PM

W11? want W10 Just install Win 10. Have the local guru do it for you.
I have not heard troublesome issues with W11. It is just new and one has to get up to speed all over again.
I would have W11 but my machine is not compatible and I don't want to spend at this time.
MS has announced that W10 users will not receive updates, just security fixes starting soon.