BajaNomad

Some pics from Baja last week

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 06:10 PM

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 1-5-2020 at 06:24 PM

Nice pics. He sure is growing into a beautiful dog.

BajaBlanca - 1-5-2020 at 07:14 PM

Really nice photos!

David K - 1-5-2020 at 07:17 PM

Very nice!

advrider - 1-5-2020 at 08:03 PM

That dog is so dam cute! #2 looks like Gonzaga bay? Where is the one with the SS minnow at?

Paco Facullo - 1-5-2020 at 08:10 PM

Now THAT's Living !!!

Photos are enough to get someone excited for Baja and hungry for clams all at the same time !

Thanks for that !

JZ - 1-5-2020 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
That dog is so dam cute! #2 looks like Gonzaga bay?

It's not Gonzaga. Much further South. Let's see if anyone can guess where?

4x4abc - 1-5-2020 at 11:55 PM

Playa SS Minnow on Gilligan's Island
28°54'48.74"N

CJ - 1-6-2020 at 06:45 AM

Nice pictures looks like a good time. How did the Chocolates taste? They look a little old with them all being opened up like that......just saying.

pacificobob - 1-6-2020 at 08:15 AM

Anyone else notice anything about those clams? Great photos btw.

CJ - 1-6-2020 at 10:54 AM

Looks like they were purchased in the pescaderia looking at the picture before the box of clams. In Loreto chocolates go for 3-4 pesos each. I bought a bag about a kilo of cleaned chocolates to make chowder for $200 pesos last week

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CJ  
Nice pictures looks like a good time. How did the Chocolates taste? They look a little old with them all being opened up like that......just saying.

They were still alive.

BajaParrothead - 1-6-2020 at 01:55 PM

Coyote Bay?

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 02:23 PM

Puerto Balandra on Isla Carmen.

26.018511° -111.164767°

[Edited on 1-7-2020 by JZ]

ridendude - 1-6-2020 at 03:54 PM

We were at Las Animas when you drove in onto the beach. We stayed there for a week. 2 days on the beach and then we moved up to the sheltered spot before the main beach. Great fishing there.

StuckSucks - 1-6-2020 at 04:03 PM

Very nice photos. What did you make with the (good looking) clams?

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Very nice photos. What did you make with the (good looking) clams?

Ate 2 each raw. My MX friend in the pic above made them. He put a little lime, picante, and ketchup in them.

The others he chopped up the clam and chopped up some shrimp. Put them back in the clam with some other stuff, wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the coals. They are the little balls in the fire. Really good.

Got them from a fish market in Guerrero Negro. 85 pesos for a dozen. We got two dozen of them. The next day we had the restaurant at Costa del Sol cook some for us. Just steamed them and had them with butter.

4x4abc - 1-6-2020 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Puerto Balandra on Isla Carmen.

26.018511° -111.164767°

so that beach has a boat wreck?

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 06:03 PM

No, it's the bay in the 2nd pic in the thread. The one that AdvRider was asking about.

This SS Minnow is around Bahia de Los Angeles near Rincon.

28.913807° -113.471214°

StuckSucks - 1-6-2020 at 06:13 PM

The others he chopped up the clam and chopped up some shrimp. Put them back in the clam with some other stuff, wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the coals. They are the little balls in the fire. Really good.

Holy crap that looks awesome -- I need to steal that recipe, thanks! I cook them the less-exciting Clam Man way: directly over grill, when they open add mantequilla and Tapatio to taste. Serve lava-hot.

David K - 1-6-2020 at 06:44 PM

Bob H and I with our wives had great BBQ clams in Ensenada... covered in cheese...

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ridendude  
We were at Las Animas when you drove in onto the beach. We stayed there for a week. 2 days on the beach and then we moved up to the sheltered spot before the main beach. Great fishing there.

Small world. Let's see some pics!

On the drive into Las Animas, about 3-4 miles from the turn off to the bay, we ran into 3-4 vehicles blocking the road. The first one had a flat, and they decided to change it right in the middle of the road.

I was a little p@ssed, but then remember I hadn't had a beer yet and it was about noon. Cracked one and shot the chit with about 10 ppl for a while. They had 2 dogs, so the dogs played a bit with ours. They brought a couple teenagers and a couple 10 yo's. I always like seeing ppl taking their kids down to Baja, puts a smile on my face. They took about 20 pics of the kids with our dog.

We only popped into Las Animas for about 30 mins. I wanted to scout it out for a future trip with the bikes and Zodiac. Our plan was to head to San Fransquito and come out through El Arco. But there wasn't any diesel in BoLA. I think we had enough to make it, but didn't want to risk it, so we ended up going back to BoLA and taking the highway to GN. Better to run out on the highway then on a dirt road.

We then went down to Loreto for 3-4 days and a day in the Seven Sisters at Punta Lobos. Went back to BoLA. And got dammit, still no diesel. We left for Gonzaga on a 1/4 tank.

Thankfully we were able to get jugs full of fuel at the turn off to Cocos at Chapla. I was just getting ready to bail on going up to Gonzaga thinking who knows if they'll have it, and just get as close to Catavia as possible.

Was very, very happy to see them selling it at Chapla. Big relief.

Pacifico - 1-6-2020 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ridendude  

Small world. Let's see some pics!

On the drive into Las Animas, about 3-4 miles from the turn off to the bay, we ran into 3-4 vehicles blocking the road. The first one had a flat, and they decided to change it right in the middle of the road.

I was a little p@ssed, but then remember I hadn't had a beer yet and it was about noon. Cracked one and shot the chit with about 10 ppl for a while. They had 2 dogs, so the dogs played a bit with ours. They brought a couple teenagers and a couple 10 yo's. I always like seeing ppl taking their kids down to Baja, puts a smile on my face. They took about 20 pics of the kids with our dog.

We only popped into Las Animas for about 30 mins. I wanted to scout it out for a future trip with the bikes and Zodiac. Our plan was to head to San Fransquito and come out through El Arco. But there wasn't any diesel in BoLA. I think we had enough to make it, but didn't want to risk it, so we ended up going back to BoLA and taking the highway to GN. Better to run out on the highway then on a dirt road.

We then went down to Loreto for 3-4 days and a day in the Seven Sisters at Punta Lobos. Went back to BoLA. And got dammit, still no diesel. We left for Gonzaga on a 1/4 tank.

Thankfully we were able to get jugs full of fuel at the turn off to Cocos at Chapla. I was just getting ready to bail on going up to Gonzaga thinking who knows if they'll have it, and just get as close to Catavia as possible.

Was very, very happy to see them selling it at Chapla. Big relief.

JZ, have you thought of getting one of those long range tanks for your truck? I don't know the exact details of your truck, but something like this:

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/replacement-fuel-tanks

JZ - 1-6-2020 at 07:17 PM

The truck holds 37 gallons and can go 600 plus miles on the highway.

This was the first time we came close to running out. I drove around for 3 days and got a little complacent.

advrider - 1-6-2020 at 09:39 PM

I would defiantly look at a 10 gallon can of some sort, just a little insurance. I've always brought extra fuel in my jeep and was happy the one or two times I needed it..

basautter - 1-7-2020 at 05:18 AM

Lucky dog!

BajaMama - 1-7-2020 at 08:50 AM

Nice trip!

Mulege Canuck - 1-8-2020 at 10:18 PM

Hola JZ

Was that road into Las Animas anything to be concerned about? Plan to go there this season.

Gracias

Slinger

JZ - 1-9-2020 at 12:22 AM

It was very easy. A little narrow in parts, but nothing major.