BajaNomad

Whales in Lopez yet?

Howard - 1-7-2020 at 08:53 AM

I know it's early in the season but are there whales in Lopez yet?

Does anyone know how the West Coast census looks and if it is projected to be a light year like the last season?

bajamary1952 - 1-7-2020 at 10:38 AM

If you check Google info, the best time to see whales is mid-March & early April when babies have become accustomed to boats.
I've been to Lopez Mateos & Guerrero Negro; supposedly GN whales are more friendly but it's all about going at optimum time/month.

Mula - 1-7-2020 at 07:53 PM

Howard,
1 whale spotted down by La Florida yesterday and 2 out at the boca.

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2020 at 07:59 PM

Whale counts down...
https://acs-la.org/volunteer/gray-whale-census-behavior-proj...
But it is still early in season...
Time will tell...

mtgoat666 - 1-7-2020 at 08:09 PM

Last week there was a humpback whale in laguna san ignacio feeding on sardines...
Supposedly first time in memory a humpy in the lagoon

Strange times...

Bajazly - 1-8-2020 at 12:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Last week there was a humpback whale in laguna san ignacio feeding on sardines...
Supposedly first time in memory a humpy in the lagoon

Strange times...

Maybe it's Humphry, the one who got lost/disoriented in SF Bay back in the mid 80's, if I remember he did a couple other strange things in the next year or two as well.

shari - 1-8-2020 at 06:03 AM

there was also a humback feeding in Laguna OJo de Liebre(Scammons Lagoon)..there is lots of feed around here.
I talked to a lanchero yesterday in Guerrero Negro and he found 2 mothers and calves but they are often getting skunked as there are very few whales. Mario's tours are going out to the very mouth of the lagoon as on occasion whales pause and hang out there.

But like last season the migration is late probably because whales are trying to feed longer up north due to scarcity of amphipods .I anticipate fewer whales in the lagoons like last year as whales control their reproduction based on food supply. I did not see one successful mating last season.

But there are large groups now being counted coming south so it wont be long.

Here is a little whale thirst quencher.... a mamma and baby.

Humpbacks

geraldalexander7 - 1-8-2020 at 01:49 PM

I just spoke to a panga captain I have used for 15 years and he said he is doing whale watch trips this week for humpback whales just outside the large entrance to Mag Bay. He departs from Puerto San Carlos.