Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm

underwear
underwear

Are you assuming everybody has two pair? :o
I do... inside and out. :spingrin:

Barbareno - 9-18-2013 at 05:17 AM

We are finally heading down after 5 years of being away. Not so sure I should of read this thread. Not bringing a motor home this time. How am I to pack all this stuff on my list? Got 2 lists, stuff from home and stuff to pick up from the States.

Think I got something on my list that wasn't even mentioned here. An empty egg carton.

wetto - 12-25-2013 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
We are finally heading down after 5 years of being away. Not so sure I should of read this thread. Not bringing a motor home this time. How am I to pack all this stuff on my list? Got 2 lists, stuff from home and stuff to pick up from the States.

Think I got something on my list that wasn't even mentioned here. An empty egg carton.

just bring the chickens:bounce:

Mateo-Feo - 3-10-2014 at 05:42 AM

Don't forget the rope! For when the surf dies down of course...

image hosting software

durrelllrobert - 6-10-2014 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

The empty US egg carton is a Mexican urban legend. Supposedly you can bring Mexican eggs back into the US if they are in a US labeled carton. NOT TRUE!

wetto - 7-1-2014 at 04:33 PM

attitude

MMc - 7-1-2014 at 06:49 PM

This is the list we have used for 35 plus years. Things have changed a bit, but It works for me.

Truck
• Extra fuel and funnel
• Extra key
• Spare tire, lug wrench, jack and parts
• Towrope or chain
• Fire extinguisher
• Oil, Coolant, brake fluid power steering, grease, tire air stuff WD-40
• Oil filter
• Jumper cables spare belts & hoses
• Air pump
• Wood blocks
• Shovel
• Tool box
• Hammer
• First aid kid
• Insurance paperwork and resignation
• Maps and books
• Tire pressure gauge
• Duct tape, Electrical tape

Camping
• Sun shade
• Sun shower
• Tent, stakes, buckets, tent rope
• Cooking table
• Eating table
• Chairs
• Sleeping bags
• Sleeping pads
• Stove & fuel
• Lanterns with mantles, fuel
• Matches and lighters
• Cooking pots, cutting board
• Coffee pots and cups
• Thermos
• Cooking tools & knives
• Knife, fork & spoon
• Bottle opener, wine opener
• Soap & green scrubby
• Paper towel
• 5 Gal. water containers
• Paper plates
• Trash bags
• Ice chests
• Food & drinks
• Zip lock bags
• Firewood Charcoal

Personal
• Toilet paper
• Bee sting kit
• Flash lights with extra batteries
• Passport, Post-it notes, Journal
• Bath kit
• Towel
• Clothing
• Surfboards
• Wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, ditty bag, pole spear
• Insect repellent
• Sunjuice
• Hat
• Camera, film, batteries
• Sun glasses
• Fishing gear and poles

Tool Box
• Socket set, wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, wire cutters
• Punches
• Hacksaw
• Spare fuses
• Electrical wire & connectors
• Bailing wire
• Silicone, JB Weld, Epoxy

CatCrazyJulie - 9-27-2014 at 02:05 PM

Got some great ideas here! I just finished retyping our 5 page Baja checklist into Excel, after losing a bunch of data to a double computer disaster (post-computer disaster advice from the recovery profession I spoke with: always have *3* backups; as the one backup I was relying on got smoked as a result of circumstances too painful to recount). It's not a full 5 pages, but divided into sections: To do before leaving; Kitchen and Food; Clothes, health, toiletries and meds; Kayaking snorkling and scuba; and General camping and travelling supplies. Have now added a page of "BajaNomad list suggestions" to pick through. Our list has evolved since 2000 when we first ventured forth, looking like the Beverly Hillbillies, with a cargo net holding our gear together in the back of the truck, and two kayaks up above. After a number of years of being blown around in a tent, we decided we wanted solid walls around us, so now have a 17' trailer, and our list has similarly evolved. The suggestion re the spare key and duct tape is much appreciated!

vandenberg - 9-27-2014 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateo-Feo

image hosting software

How did you manage to get that ridiculous large avatar up there??

bajatrailrider - 3-14-2015 at 06:46 PM

If all else fails small dirt bike in the back of truck,with extra gas!

durrelllrobert - 4-21-2015 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Quote:
Originally posted by Mateo-Feo

image hosting software

How did you manage to get that ridiculous large avatar up there??

Speaking of which, how did you get my Keep Right side for your's?

kayay - 3-1-2016 at 08:09 PM

Any suggestions for the best car rental place in Loreto ?

BigBearRider - 3-1-2016 at 08:25 PM

Fox has worked well for me in Loreto. If you search on this site, you'll find a couple of threads on it.

wilderone - 4-9-2016 at 07:42 AM

Glad this post endures. Was reading some back pages -- re: this:
"About that lost-misplaced ignition key: after calling AAA a few times (no such thing in Baja of course), I just ordered 3 spare keys. One is a designated car key, with a big pendant so it's easy to find (old car, no remote). One is on the ring with my house keys (you carry those in Baja anyway). And one more is in my desk at home."

I put a spare key in one of those magnetic key holders, then JBWeld or Super Glue it to a place underneath the car, adding duct tape to hold it in place (check tape every 6 months or so and before each trip to be sure it's still there). After 6 years, only had to retrieve it once, still there. Also, leave house keys at home (under that flower pot in the backyard - don't need them in Baja and you don't want to lose them); and the key in the desk at home is not going to help you. After having locked the car key in a rental car couple months ago, I decided always travel with wire in my purse/daypack, and leave a window cracked 1/4". Very surprising to see how my rescuer used wire and string to unlock the car.

Howard - 4-9-2016 at 08:29 AM

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread again, but how about a Swiss Army Knife!

Udo - 4-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

That is a great one, Woody!

But the Birth cert copy reminded me to bring a copy of the marriage certificate.

Just a reminder...if you die in Baja, the dead person's handler has to provide a birth certificate.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
BIRTHCERT
firewood
beer scoozies
single jack, shovel, hammer
sleeping bags, pillow
warm clothes, skull cap, uggs, shoes, flip flops, socks, gloves
fishing gear, tackle box, green stake/pole holder, ghost shrimp
food, coolers
cooking utensils, stove, propane, lighter fluid
toilet paper, trash bags
ryobi flashlight,impact driver and charged batteries
music, portable radio, inverter
boards, wetsuits, booties, rash guard, towel, wax
easy up, tarps, stakes & rope (in green backpack)
gps, baja maps
digi camera (recharge)
shave kit, tooth brush, brush, chap-stick
first aid kit
walkie talkies
compressor
stuff to give away

that usually includes everything.

Udo - 4-9-2016 at 07:48 PM

i just went through the entire thread...

WHEW!!!

I now have a 20 page WORD document that has everyone's lists. I'll use the word duplicate feature of WORD and delete duplicate items.

The thread brought back memories of who was on Nomads since the lists started, and how many people dropped out.

4x4abc - 4-9-2016 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Glad this post endures. Was reading some back pages -- re: this:
"About that lost-misplaced ignition key: after calling AAA a few times (no such thing in Baja of course), I just ordered 3 spare keys. One is a designated car key, with a big pendant so it's easy to find (old car, no remote). One is on the ring with my house keys (you carry those in Baja anyway). And one more is in my desk at home."

I put a spare key in one of those magnetic key holders, then JBWeld or Super Glue it to a place underneath the car, adding duct tape to hold it in place (check tape every 6 months or so and before each trip to be sure it's still there). After 6 years, only had to retrieve it once, still there. Also, leave house keys at home (under that flower pot in the backyard - don't need them in Baja and you don't want to lose them); and the key in the desk at home is not going to help you. After having locked the car key in a rental car couple months ago, I decided always travel with wire in my purse/daypack, and leave a window cracked 1/4". Very surprising to see how my rescuer used wire and string to unlock the car.

that's the first place car thieves look for keys

Santiago - 4-10-2016 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

that's the first place car thieves look for keys

Alright, would you mind telling us the place they won't look?
Thanks

Santiago - 4-10-2016 at 07:24 AM

CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) and the List:
Like Udo and I suspect many of us, I took the list and made it my own. After many trips, mine is down to 3 columns on one page, perfect for a clip board, right? Before each trip, I pull up my last trip's list and add/delete items that will be needed. When an item is in my garage but not in the truck, I put a "/" in front of it; when it is in the truck, "\" making an "X". Before we take off, we make sure there are X's in front of everything. Foolproof.
Well not exactly......last trip down I got the boat all ready, put the reels on the rods, put those in the boat and went to get my dozen or so Plano boxes of lures and terminal tackle and guess what, nada. They were checked off the list but not packed. ??????
Now I have added one last check-off: ARE YOU SURE OR DID YOU GET IN A HURRY AND CHECK IT OFF WHEN IT WAS STILL ON THE GARAGE FLOOR?

:(

SFandH - 4-13-2016 at 01:04 PM

I have no idea if this is already on THE LIST.

Take a cheater bar to bust loose lug nuts when you get a flat. I just had to change a tire and I couldn't have done it without my 4 foot cheater bar (a piece of galvanized pipe that fits over the lug nut wrench). The yahoo who rotated my tires last year must have gone crazy with the impact wrench.

In general be totally prepared to change a flat. In addition to the equipment that came with my truck I take the cheater bar, a two foot long 4x12 to use as a base for the jack, and an extra bottle jack.

[Edited on 4-13-2016 by SFandH]

Udo - 4-14-2016 at 06:57 AM

I have done the same thing, Santiago.:light:

:bounce::biggrin::bounce:

bajaric - 4-15-2016 at 10:37 AM

I have used this thread when preparing for trips, appreciate it.

Good advice on being prepared to change a flat. I might add that a cross type lug wrench is much less likely to snap off a frozen lug nut than the cheap single arm lug nut wrench that comes standard with most vehicles.

woody with a view - 4-15-2016 at 11:10 AM

And a 24" piece of pipe as a cheater bar to slip over the lug wrench almost makes repairing a flat enjoyable!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DaliDali - 4-15-2016 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
And a 24" piece of pipe as a cheater bar to slip over the lug wrench almost makes repairing a flat enjoyable!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

When you get old enough........one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF880HM2-20-volt-Lithium-2-Inc...

And one of these

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4950-2-Inch-Service-4-Piece/dp/...

John Harper - 3-21-2017 at 12:46 PM

I have a 3/4" drive breaker bar, you can put tremendous torque on it. And you can slip a pipe on the end if that isn't enough.

John

DawnPatrol - 3-21-2017 at 06:09 PM

I highly recommend an "ophthalmic" antibiotic, have saved a few trips when people got something in their eyes or eye infections.

dmer - 6-19-2017 at 06:04 PM

Hi Bajajudy,

I am crossing toe boarder tomorrow morning and I still can't find a Baja Map. Even the link you sent is out of maps and bird guides.

I hope HWY 1 is well marked!!!!!
Doanne

Franco - 6-21-2017 at 07:18 AM

Oral Rehydration Salts. You can make your own BUT when you feel like S**t it is easier just to mix and drink.

UDO!

Thanks for the tip about dying!

No one plans to BUT...

sapian - 2-28-2018 at 12:58 PM

Banjo, 'cause you never know when you might be out of earshot from people.

Udo - 2-28-2018 at 01:58 PM

I know this thread was from last Summer. We have a TI also and use it a lot to visit Todos Santos island near Ensenada.

Picnics are a breeze away.

Bruce R Leech - 2-28-2018 at 08:22 PM

extra master links for the motorcycle

mtgoat666 - 2-28-2018 at 08:31 PM

spectacles
testicles
Wallet
and watch

BornFisher - 2-28-2018 at 09:01 PM

Half as much stuff and twice as much money!!

Bruce R Leech - 3-1-2018 at 09:46 PM

passport

Marc - 6-2-2019 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I have no idea if this is already on THE LIST.

Take a cheater bar to bust loose lug nuts when you get a flat. I just had to change a tire and I couldn't have done it without my 4 foot cheater bar (a piece of galvanized pipe that fits over the lug nut wrench). The yahoo who rotated my tires last year must have gone crazy with the impact wrench.

In general be totally prepared to change a flat. In addition to the equipment that came with my truck I take the cheater bar, a two foot long 4x12 to use as a base for the jack, and an extra bottle jack.

[Edited on 4-13-2016 by SFandH]

Absolutely! My cheater bar is part of an old Yakima basket rack. Perfect diameter and super strong. In my truck always.

DBaja - 12-18-2019 at 10:44 PM

Cigarettes and Playboys for barter and local appreciation ;)

Allwaters - 12-27-2020 at 07:02 AM

Endless items to take... What I do is visualize what/where I will be and for how long Then as you go over your activities break them down to actual steps and add spare everything that you can think of. My angle is to be able to be as self sufficient as possible in all aspects of your stay down there. For me it is about camping on the beach, cooking ALL my meals, fishing, kayaking and freediving. So make sure you have ALL the cooking gear, fuel stoves etc, ALL sleeping gear for cold, rain, windy and/or hot weather. Spare lures, spare lines, spare rods reels, spare car parts, tires, tools, yes and duct tape as well as JB weld, wd40, glues tapes blah blah blah. It takes time to think about all of it and invaribly you will have forgotten something I am sure but numerous trips down there will bring to mind needed items for the next trip.
Basically just fill up the truck!

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2020 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Allwaters  
Endless items to take... What I do is visualize what/where I will be and for how long Then as you go over your activities break them down to actual steps and add spare everything that you can think of. My angle is to be able to be as self sufficient as possible in all aspects of your stay down there. For me it is about camping on the beach, cooking ALL my meals, fishing, kayaking and freediving. So make sure you have ALL the cooking gear, fuel stoves etc, ALL sleeping gear for cold, rain, windy and/or hot weather. Spare lures, spare lines, spare rods reels, spare car parts, tires, tools, yes and duct tape as well as JB weld, wd40, glues tapes blah blah blah. It takes time to think about all of it and invaribly you will have forgotten something I am sure but numerous trips down there will bring to mind needed items for the next trip.
Basically just fill up the truck!

Or you can just do basic planning for a car-camping trip, and then wing it.

AKgringo - 12-27-2020 at 08:45 AM

Allwaters, you and I are polar opposites! Cooking and cleaning are two things I avoid when I am on a road trip. I don't take any food that requires cooking, or the equipment to do it.

I can get by with an ice chest and a box of dry, and canned goodies for the amount of time I spend on a beach or out in the back country. It also makes it even more of a treat when I am able find a place where people will cook for me!

My list of essential items gets smaller every year as I whittle it down from things that would be nice to have, to things that I would have to get if needed!

My truck is my tent now, since I no longer haul one of those, or a cot, or any stoves, pots, pans, cleaning supplies or extra water to do it with. Breaking camp for me consists of putting on my shoes, feeding the dog, stuffing my sleeping bag in a sack, and I am free to roam about the desert!

Obviously, this would not work out with a group, or even one more person in my rig, but I am ok with living like a homeless guy with a car for short periods of my life!

Fatboy - 10-31-2021 at 08:56 PM

This thread was started in 2005 and has at list 1 post every year for the last 15 years.... So to keep it going for at least 16 years here is my addition which I did not see during my quick glance at the lists...

A blacklight flashlight to go scorpion hunting.

BajaMama - 1-20-2022 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
This thread was started in 2005 and has at list 1 post every year for the last 15 years.... So to keep it going for at least 16 years here is my addition which I did not see during my quick glance at the lists...

Be sure to add a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and a hammer to the scorpion hunting kit - the rubbing alcohol slows them down enough to wack with a hammer.

4x4abc - 1-20-2022 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  

Be sure to add a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol and a hammer to the scorpion hunting kit - the rubbing alcohol slows them down enough to wack with a hammer.

I pick 'em up and relocate them

wilderone - 1-26-2022 at 06:09 AM

Yeah, jeez, why would you want to kill them?

vacaenbaja - 8-9-2023 at 05:20 PM

Passport is excellent advice. I think I remember that to fly out of Mexico it is required. So if you have an emergency and you need to fly back you are ready in that regard.
 Pages:  1    3