BajaNomad

Rice & Beans sold?

Jinete Viejo - 1-30-2020 at 10:16 PM

Any truth to the rumor that Ricardo sold Rice and Beans in San Ignacio?

Sr.vienes - 1-31-2020 at 10:11 AM

I just spoke with Ricardo, he laughed and said it is business as usual.

advrider - 1-31-2020 at 07:59 PM

I'm making a payment every time I buy a beer from them, might take a while before I take over... LOL

Jinete Viejo - 1-31-2020 at 08:12 PM

You hear a lot of BS before your ears fall off. I'm glad this was fake news.

mtgoat666 - 2-1-2020 at 10:49 AM

Would be nice to see it sold to someone that would improve it.... it needs a makeover!

advrider - 2-1-2020 at 05:46 PM

I don't know about a make over, if we make everything look like the US why go? Place has always been ok with me and my riding buddies. Not the Hilton but that's not what I go to Mexico for!

bajabuddha - 2-1-2020 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I don't know about a make over, if we make everything look like the US why go? Place has always been ok with me and my riding buddies. Not the Hilton but that's not what I go to Mexico for!

Feed a fever, starve a troll. Goathead just has to raise H & D about any post he can screw with.... it's his m.o.

Your post only cements his woodie that much more. He doesn't give two raton's patooties about rice n' beans; he only wants to create discord, just like his arch enemy.

Funny how much alike they both are.... true Jeniuses.

advrider - 2-1-2020 at 06:45 PM

Glad I can be a ray of sun shine for the little troll! LOL...

mtgoat666 - 2-1-2020 at 08:05 PM

I stayed there once, the room was abysmal.
Ate there on another trip,... the food and setting were very mediocre, with trailer park bumper sticker accents for decor.
I suppose you knuckle draggers are happy with it. If you are happy with mediocre, and return to spend money on mediocre, you wont ever get better than mediocre!

baja Steve - 2-1-2020 at 08:25 PM

I have stayed there many time over the last 21 years. Your right it is NOT a Hilton. It is much friendlier, your meet outstanding baja travelers, it is very social. The restaurant defiantly is not Hilton style
and if it was I defiantly would not eat there, it is much BETTER. Ricardo and his wife are the owners (she also makes outstanding Flan}and Ricardo helps a lot of people including myself all the time.

advrider - 2-1-2020 at 10:33 PM

I am a knuckle dragger for sure, so thanks for the complement goat. I would say for the price,the rooms may not be the best bang for the buck, but I like stickers, racers and travelers so I like the place. Never had a bad meal but I've called beef jerky and water dinner many a night.
When a tarp on the ground and sleeping in your riding gear is not a bad night out, I guess my standards aren't up to par.

chuckie - 2-2-2020 at 05:08 AM

Breakfasts are good...I would never stay there again....never...

Beagle - 2-2-2020 at 06:43 AM

If I was in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, off the side of the desolate highway... in Mexico and saw a hotel with the name "Ricardo's Rice n Beans"(That part is a tell even for the feeble minded)....I'd expect exactly what has been described. And then if I turned around and complained about it, well....then I'm the idiot.

Places like this serve a purpose. If I'm tired and want to crash and get a shower, trade intel...then these places are fine. There's other options in San Ignacio if all of a sudden I'm feeling entitled.

David K - 2-2-2020 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
If I was in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, off the side of the desolate highway... in Mexico and saw a hotel with the name "Ricardo's Rice n Beans"(That part is a tell even for the feeble minded)....I'd expect exactly what has been described. And then if I turned around and complained about it, well....then I'm the idiot.

Places like this serve a purpose. If I'm tired and want to crash and get a shower, trade intel...then these places are fine. There's other options in San Ignacio if all of a sudden I'm feeling entitled.

Very true... It did seem to be tailored now for the many motorcycle off road groups... I can visualize their Honda 450s being rolled into the rooms at night!

I stayed there in 2015 because Hotel La Huerta was full, the Desert Inn was too expensive (IMO), and I had stayed at Ricardo's before (and it was nice) in 2001.

I do think it is "Ricardo's Motel" and "Rice and Beans Restaurant", both owned by Ricardo. Rice and Beans is a humorous name and easy to remember. He also owns (with his brother, I recall) the Rice and Beans restaurant in San Felipe.

[Edited on 2-2-2020 by David K]

billklaser - 2-2-2020 at 09:19 AM

We have been staying at Rice & Beans for many years. Use it as a stop from San Diego to Loreto. Probably stay there about 5 or 6 times a year. Sometimes towing our boat, plenty of room for parking large vehicles. Rooms have always been clean however beds are little on the hard side. Bathrooms clean and showers always hot, however they could use better shower heads. Restaurant is good, margaritas are great. ( but after driving 11 hours, any margarita would probably taste pretty good.). They are also Pet friendly. Wifi is weak, only works in the restaurant for me, and Tv is minimal. All in all, a good stop for us on the way south.

Enrique2012 - 2-2-2020 at 02:10 PM

R&B is a safe, affordable place to stay. I have never had a bad experience and have stayed there (San Ignacio) more times than I can count. Also, the food is well above average, I always look forward to eating dinner there.

One year I rolled in as a solo dirt biker and ate dinner with Ricardo, who was very interested in my journey - solid guy!

Sr.vienes - 2-2-2020 at 03:27 PM

I consider Ricardo a very good long time friend so I am a bit biased. However his chicken soup and Margaritas are the best I have ever had, his fish Veracruz is also very good. Yeah I know who orders chicken soup in Baja, try it.

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2020 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by baja Steve  
I have stayed there many time over the last 21 years. Your right it is NOT a Hilton. It is much friendlier, your meet outstanding baja travelers, it is very social. The restaurant defiantly is not Hilton style
and if it was I defiantly would not eat there, it is much BETTER. Ricardo and his wife are the owners (she also makes outstanding Flan}and Ricardo helps a lot of people including myself all the time.

I will let you in on a little secret: good flan is easy to make, so easy that even a knuckledragger can do it!

AKgringo - 2-3-2020 at 08:28 AM

I generally select a place to stay based on where I am in the afternoon. Sounds like they would tolerate me and my dog, so if the timing is right, I will check them out some day!

caj13 - 2-3-2020 at 09:06 AM

I stayed overnight there in December (san Ignacio)
lots of secure parking, easy on and off.
The room was - OK, bed a little hard, but clean, the TV did not work.

The shower was missing a showerhead.

(there were plenty of empty rooms, if stuff is broken or not working, why do you put people in them?

Ate at the restaurant, OK - that's about it, nothing special.

Room was about 40 bucks, dinner i think cost me 12 bucks or so

would i stop there again - yeah, if I was traveling late and needed a place to crash, but I would check out the shower right away, make sure it was functional and useable. I wouldn't eat there again., id go into town and find a taco stand

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2020 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I will let you in on a little secret: good flan is easy to make, so easy that even a knuckledragger can do it!
Maybe you have different standards, but most of the flan I've found in Mexico is pretty mediocre (can you say "Leche Nestlé"? :barf: ), so good flan is apparently not easy to make. :cool:

Well, find a recipe and try it yourself. It is easy. If you eat at places like rice and beans, then of course you will think mexican flan (and all mex food) is bad. Eat at better places, and you will get better food.

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2020 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Well, find a recipe and try it yourself. It is easy.

OK, I'll bite: What's your recipe?

Go google a recipe on your own, you lazy bum!

Sr.vienes - 2-3-2020 at 05:33 PM

Good flan is easy to make, but bad flan is even easier, that’s why there is so much bad out there. However a real taste treat is some “good” flan with a scoop of ice cream and a shot of almond Tequila poured on top.

David K - 2-3-2020 at 05:38 PM

I once had excellent flan in Ensenada at El Taco de Huitzilopochtli. It think it had Kahlua drizzled on top?

micah202 - 2-4-2020 at 02:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
...... if I was traveling late and needed a place to crash, but I would check out the shower right away, make sure it was functional and useable. .

I hope you are in the habit of checking for bedbugs before bringing anything into the room. Whether is be the Hilton, or Rice'n Beans,, it's just the right thing to do. <;~l