BajaNomad

Driving Las Vegas to Cabo San Lucas

ARDLMD - 2-12-2020 at 08:31 AM

Hi, I am brand new to this forum and am excited to have a place where I can ask questions and get answers from you fine folks on bajanomad.

My wife and I are retired and relocating to Cabo San Lucas in April-May this year.

We plan on driving from Las Vegas to Cabo via San Diego.

I wanted to reach out and ask about your experiences from anyone who haas taken this drive. We will not be driving after dark.

I would be curious about drive times? What are logical overnight stopping points?

What about the border crossing - what do I need to know?

And any other information that may be helpful.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

[Edited on 2-12-2020 by ARDLMD]

chippy - 2-12-2020 at 08:56 AM

Unless you are stuck on San Diego? I would go this route.

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+Nevada,+EE.+UU...

[Edited on 2-12-2020 by chippy]

Marc - 2-12-2020 at 09:33 AM

Definatley through Mexicali.:light::light:

BajaUtah - 2-12-2020 at 09:40 AM

I dislike the drive through LA and Tijuana so my go to route from Salt Lake City is I15 to Las Vegas/95/78 to Mexicali. I cross at Mexicali West and usually get lost wandering around Mexicali but find my way to the 5 south eventually - always an adventure.

My drive times are not typical because I'm an "about the destination" and not "about the journey" guy. During the summer I make San Felipe from SLC in a day and then SF to La Ribera where home is. During the winter it's Calexico/Guerrero Negro/La Ribera.

I know you wanted to target San Diego going south but it's just not my preferred route.

If it's your first drive then there is no end to the potential stops but I'd target San Felipe to San Ignacio to Loreto to CSL but again you could easily take weeks to stop and explore the peninsula.

The west side Tijuana/Ensenada/San Quintin/Catavinia is a beautiful drive but for me it's way too slow through the populated areas. For me there is a 2-3 hour difference between the east side 5 and the west side 1. With the work on the 5 almost complete it might even be a greater time delta. I haven't driven since last May.

David K - 2-12-2020 at 09:42 AM

Welcome to Baja Nomad!
Most folks here enjoy helping others and few of us like to dig at newbies, too. I generally defend newbies and don't like the way they get blown out by older-timers...

To answer your question, you can safely make the drive in 3 days. However, I STRONGLY recommend you travel slowly and see the rest of Baja... taking several days, as ALL of wonderful Baja is before you get to "Land's End" (Cabo San Lucas).

My initial response to your post was this:
So you are moving to the tip of Baja California but have never seen Baja (at least by car)?

An idea:

Day 1 Hwy. 5 to San Felipe and go have some fish tacos on the malecon (they were invented there, but Ensenada also claims this). Many hotels.
OR
Hwy. 1 to El Rosario, 5-6 hours from the border. Baja Cactus Motel, next to the gas station, fill up here, next station is 200 miles south or at Bahía de los Angeles.

Day 2 to Bahía de los Angeles and see the most fascinating desert scenery along the way, stop at Alfonsina's on Gonzaga Bay for lunch. Hotel Costa del Sol. See the museum at L.A. Bay.

Day 3, if you have an SUV, go on via Mission San Borja, an amazing site in the central desert, then end up in San Ignacio's oasis (Hotel La Huerta). Have tacos or ice cream at the plaza in front of the magnificent mission church.

Day 4 & 5, pass through the historic French mining center of Santa Rosalía and Mulegé (oasis and mission), and maybe stop at Mark and Olivia's Playa Buenaventura for their famous cheeseburger (in paradise) and end up in Loreto, where California's missions and El Camino Real began. Take a rest day here, great food (Orlando's or Sabor's), tour the mission and museum. A 21-mile-paved side trip up to Mission San Javier is well worth the trip.

Day 6 is a long dry drive from Loreto to La Paz, capital of the southern half of Baja California. See how the city is laid out and drive up to Balandra Bay and Tecolote beach.

Day 7 to Cabo... again lots to see along the way. Hwy. 19 via Todos Santos is the shortest way but Hwy. 1 has more historic and cultural attractions. You could see them after you have settled in to your new home.

I have a million photos and details in my 2017-2018 trip reports (numbered 1-8) that covered most of the peninsula, in the Baja Nomad Trip Reports forum.

Also, you may enjoy my Baja Travel Adventure articles, click the link below.

Travel safe and let us know when you have arrived!
David

* Top your gas tank at San Felipe on Hwy. 5 or El Rosario on Hwy. 1. Further on, never pass a gas station if your gauge is below 1/2 full.

[Edited on 2-12-2020 by David K]

PaulW - 2-12-2020 at 09:44 AM

Las Vegas south. With a trailer or without use Mexicali east - with no trailer use Algondones then use Hwy 5 to Hwy 1.

Mexicali East - after border keep left. At the major intersection next to the LPG fuel station go right and follow the signs to San Felipe and Hwy 5.

Algondones - after the border second left next right. At the 3 way stop left. Drive to Hwy2 and enter Hwy2 on the right. Use the overpass that leads to Tijuana/San Felipe to get to Hwy 2D. Then and exit Hwy2D to Hwy 5 at San Felipe exit. Right turn then first U turn on Hwy 5.
Have a good drive.

ARDLMD - 2-12-2020 at 11:56 AM

Thanks - this gives me a lot of information and items to consider. Keep the information coming!!!!

David K - 2-12-2020 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ARDLMD  
Thanks - this gives me a lot of information and items to consider. Keep the information coming!!!!

I just edited my post above to include the Hwy. 1 option and gas station note.

Maybe give us some more feedback, like what are you driving, and: is seeing Baja before you land at Cabo is at all a consideration...?? :light:

Mr. Bills - 2-12-2020 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
. . . I would go this route.

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/dir/Las+Vegas,+Nevada,+EE.+UU...

I agree.

I recently had the opportunity to drive Mex 5 southbound between Mexicali and the junction with Mex 1 and two weeks later Mex 1 northbound from Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada.

Based upon that experience if I were driving from Las Vegas to Cabo San Lucas I would choose the linked route unless you simply must visit San Diego. If that is the case I would suggest driving from Las Vegas to San Diego via I-15, cross at Tecate rather than Tijuana, then take Mex 2 (cuota) to Mex 5 and south via San Felipe.

Like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/UKqZPuqD6Dppotg26

BajaMama - 2-12-2020 at 01:26 PM

When I lived in Henderson, NV and drove to BCS, we would go through San Diego (2003 and thereabouts), but with the paving of Mex 5, Mexicali is the shortest route. Granted the 2 lane roads through Nevada are slower than the interstate, but the overall distance will save hours.

mtgoat666 - 2-12-2020 at 02:15 PM

For first time driving of baja, take hwy 1. Hwy 5 is maybe an hour or so faster, and a little less traffic, but you wont know anything about baja without taking the main hwy 1 and doing the windshield tour of TJ-rosarito coast, ensenada, santo tomas valley, san quintin farming area, el rosario, catavina, etc.
There is not much to see on hwy 5 except desolate desert and a less-appealing coast. Try hwy 5 the second time you drive the peninsula.

John Harper - 2-12-2020 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Granted the 2 lane roads through Nevada are slower than the interstate, but the overall distance will save hours.

Nevada has fantastic two lane roads that you can drive all day at 75MPH and barely see another vehicle. Drove across Nevada last summer on Hwy 6 and it was so much faster and better than the interstate.

John

BajaUtah - 2-12-2020 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Nevada has fantastic two lane roads that you can drive all day at 75MPH and barely see another vehicle. Drove across Nevada last summer on Hwy 6 and it was so much faster and better than the interstate.

John

95 south of Vegas is 4 lane to the Cal state line and is really speedy and the 95 between state line and I40 while 2 lane is still fast and easy to pass with good sight lines. The 95 south of I40 to Blythe is steep climbs and deep vados so passing is a real crap shoot. I've done that stretch in less than an hour and I've had it take more than 2 hours. Just depends on how many semi trucks are out and where you catch them.

JZ - 2-12-2020 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
For first time driving of baja, take hwy 1. Hwy 5 is maybe an hour or so faster, and a little less traffic, but you wont know anything about baja without taking the main hwy 1 and doing the windshield tour of TJ-rosarito coast, ensenada, santo tomas valley, san quintin farming area, el rosario, catavina, etc.
There is not much to see on hwy 5 except desolate desert and a less-appealing coast. Try hwy 5 the second time you drive the peninsula.

Ignore this info at all cost. Goat is our local troll. Just avoid him.

Take MX 5.

honda tom - 2-13-2020 at 09:08 AM

Take 5... so much more relaxed.... you will enjoy the views.

mtgoat666 - 2-13-2020 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Take MX 5.

jizz,
most tourists want to see mexico, so hwy 1 is a good route to see what northern baja is about.
the hwy 5 route is just desert, and is good route if all you want to do is put in miles and avoid seeing mexican towns and cities.
if all you want to see is barren desert, easier to stay in socal and go to mojave or anza and skip the long drive to mexico.
of course, if you want to visit baja and avoid all people, then sure, take 5 and all you will meet is a few desert rats living out in the sticks, and all you will see for urban areas is small dusty towns in the middle of nowhere...

AKgringo - 2-13-2020 at 09:38 AM

Goat, you make a good argument for, and against each route, Isn't it great to have a choice depending on the driver's priority!

I prefer five for a one way trip like the OP is talking about, but anyone touring Baja should consider doing a loop including as many roads as their time and vehicle will allow!

A sample of the "Just Desert" along Hwy. 5

David K - 2-13-2020 at 09:44 AM

Marc - 2-13-2020 at 11:57 AM

Cross at TJ and take Mex1 just to see why you never would want to go that route again. Once is enough! OK, Ok. El Rosario to Cataviña & Mex5 junction would be the exception.

Marc - 2-13-2020 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Take MX 5.

He's never been to SOB.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

queseyo - 2-13-2020 at 04:53 PM

Something to be said for both routes, they both provide spectacular vistas and cultura wherever you choose to stop. If you go Hwy 1 stay (and eat) at Jardines in San Quintin and/or Cataviña (Desert Inn?), we miss those places most since we started using Hwy 5 exclusively from UT 6 yrs ago when I quit dragging a boat back and forth. San Ignacio is so nice, worth a night...or more! Mulege, Bahia Concepcion also. We found Loreto as our long term destination, lots to do, great restaurants. You'll find your own favorites. I still remember our first drive down as the best!
You're in for a great trip! Enjoy!

[Edited on 2-14-2020 by queseyo]

Alm - 2-13-2020 at 06:13 PM

Probably somebody is writing an article or a blog. I remember a thread - "Please tell me where people live in Baja and why". Classic....

BajaMama - 2-14-2020 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Granted the 2 lane roads through Nevada are slower than the interstate, but the overall distance will save hours.

John

I lived in Nevada for 17 years, I know the roads! The 95 & 93 are good. My faves are the state dirt roads. But for some reason, heading south along the Colorado, the two lane roads are not as "fast."

[Edited on 2-14-2020 by BajaMama]

ARDLMD - 2-20-2020 at 09:26 AM

Thank you all for your replies. All this information is invaluable and will help as we plan our trip.:light:

AKgringo - 2-20-2020 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ARDLMD  
Thank you all for your replies. All this information is invaluable and will help as we plan our trip.:light:

And thank you for acknowledging the feedback from your fellow Nomads! I have seen other new members post a question, then never post again to let us know if they even read the information that we provided.