BajaNomad

Surprising News for Environment

LancairDriver - 2-14-2020 at 10:04 PM

First there was news of a thriving wildlife population of all species after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and now similar news about the Japanese nuclear meltdown. The unrelated news on restricting nets in Cabo Palmo leading to an increase in the fish population is encouraging and hopefully will get more attention around Mexico.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nature-conservation-biodivers...

4x4abc - 2-14-2020 at 10:08 PM

hope is like wishing for a life after death

John Harper - 2-15-2020 at 06:48 AM

Yes, the MLPA program here in CA is showing signs of significant success, from what I've heard on our local fishing show. Of course, the hosts of the show were adamantly opposed to the MLPA implementation from the start. Haven't heard much complaining lately.

John

pacificobob - 2-15-2020 at 06:49 AM

My ol grandad used to say....." wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one fulls up first"

John Harper - 2-15-2020 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
My ol grandad used to say....." wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one fulls up first"

One of my dad's favorite comments.

John

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2020 at 09:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Yes, the MLPA program here in CA is showing signs of significant success, from what I've heard on our local fishing show. Of course, the hosts of the show were adamantly opposed to the MLPA implementation from the start. Haven't heard much complaining lately.

John

Funny how people fight environmental efforts, then years later appreciate the results of those same environmental efforts.
Seems short-sighted how people fight successful environmental efforts, and approve of people like trump gutting the CAA or CWA and destroy protections with little idea of how things will turn out, truly gambling...

I like spunky environmental warriors like Greta Thunberg,... the world is a better place with environmental warriors :bounce:

paranewbi - 2-15-2020 at 09:26 AM

Maybe Greta could sail that multi-million dollar free ride to the Tijuana Slough...

John Harper - 2-15-2020 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Maybe Greta could sail that multi-million dollar free ride to the Tijuana Slough...

Envy is a green eyed monster.

John

4x4abc - 2-15-2020 at 03:25 PM

John

and David has no map for that

Hook - 2-15-2020 at 03:42 PM

John

I think I know the show you are talking about. LTH?

They were opposed to it because the depredation in all those areas was largely because of commercial fishing for decades. Why should the recreational angler, taking such a small percentage of the fish populations (and observing size and take restrictions) be asked to stop fishing in those areas? They didn't cause it.

I think the show's hosts are probably not complaining much because recreational fishing, surprisingly, was allowed, in the end.

I was just leaving CA when these regs were put into effect, so I am no longer really UP on what went DOWN with the final language of the law. But I was under the impression that recreational fishing was going to be banned in these areas. In looking at the regs, it appears hook and line and spearfishing is allowed in many of the areas.

Not that the show doesn't (didn't?) have sponsors who were technically commercial fishing operations. Any party boat is a commercial fishing enterprise, even though they transport people fishing recreationally.

David K - 2-15-2020 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

John

and David has no map for that

Wanna bet? LOL

advrider - 2-16-2020 at 08:55 AM

And David with the win, abc, you should have known better! LOL

vacaenbaja - 2-17-2020 at 12:55 PM

One has only to look toward Abre Ojos and Bahia Asuncion to

see how well a managed fishery can work toward helping the

ecology and reproductive biomass of commercially harvested

species remain robust rather than

forever depleted.

Alm - 2-17-2020 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
First there was news of a thriving wildlife population of all species after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and now similar news about the Japanese nuclear meltdown.

Nobody fully understands effects of radiation on living organisms, but in the long run it's mostly damaging. Some species could multiply more often or in bigger numbers at a time, doesn't mean this is normal or they are healthy overall.

Nets I saw in BOLA in broad daylight - well, around sunset, walking near the lighthouse of Punta Arena. So much for "restrictions".