BajaNomad

Shari, how's the whale count now?

wilderone - 2-17-2020 at 02:13 PM

Last discussion was that the whales are late in arriving and the numbers are low, with fewer sightings of mothers with babies. Has that improved? Do you think the majority of this season's whales have arrived now (mid-February)? Tell us your observations - always so insightful.

shari - 2-17-2020 at 03:19 PM

As of last week there are still under 700 whales here and much fewer mothers and calves than normal but we are having fun with the whales that are here! I saw a pregnant female yesterday so they are still birthing! Most of the calves are a month old now and starting to breach & spy hop...More may still be coming down.

I am seeing lots of mating so numbers should be climbing next season. The whales are in much better shape this year...nice and chubby! We have had many trios playing with us..

Valentines Day there was a whale love fest with really mushy whales and passengers.

the new whale camp is wonderful and everyone is really enjoying it out there! I am so proud of all our tribe and so happy to have Sirenita guiding with me again!

Many of my whale friends I have come to know over the years are back...like Pinocchio and today's big news is the Fingers is back and had 4 guys chasing after her!

[Edited on 2-17-2020 by shari]

David K - 2-17-2020 at 03:54 PM

Hi Shari, I saw Max and Sharon today, back from Whale Magic Tours... They had a wonderful time. It was nice to hook them up with your friend in Guerrero Negro, the knife maker/ tour guide, too. They saw Pozo Aleman and the giant cave art site at Mesa el Carmen.