BajaNomad

Is Pavement a Mousse Killer?

Jinete Viejo - 2-20-2020 at 03:03 PM

How many miles of pavement can be run on a 450 before damaging a mousse tube?

Chup - 2-20-2020 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
How many miles of pavement can be run on a 450 before damaging a mousse tube?

Or, better stated; how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

advrider - 2-20-2020 at 08:17 PM

There is another brand that holds up better, same company that makes the tubeless system. If you look around on Rocky Mountain they have some videos abut the ones I'm talking about. The big issue is keeping them lubed and watching the speed on the highway. This brand is said to be good as long as you stay under 75, which on my 500 is plenty fast on the highway...
Next tire change on my 500 I think I'm going to try them?

[Edited on 2-21-2020 by advrider]

mjs - 2-20-2020 at 08:49 PM

Heat will kill them. So speed and ambient temperature will have a big bearing on mileage. But our experience is any significant distance at 50 - 55 or above is asking for failure. YMMV.

bajatrailrider - 2-20-2020 at 10:10 PM

Have to agree on that heat and speed does not do well.

advrider - 2-21-2020 at 08:47 AM

Try this link, these are supposed to last twice as long and take the heat much better. I will know more after March when some guys I know get back from trying them out on a ten day trip in Baja.

http://nitromousse.com/

bajatrailrider - 2-21-2020 at 09:00 AM

There are many benefits using the mousse. Also many problems I will look forward to test of new ones. One big complaint is I adjust my tire psi for the day. If tight trail hill climbing 4 to 6 psi. If road ride dirt road or pavement more psi. Also I have had to remove tire to regrease tube. I always jack bike up on long storage. So no flat spots the best part about Mousse. Making trails over catus with no worry about flat tire .

Jinete Viejo - 2-22-2020 at 12:15 PM

Thanks mjs, that is the input I was looking for. Can you provide a rough idea of how many miles a "significant distance" is?

mjs - 2-23-2020 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
Thanks mjs, that is the input I was looking for. Can you provide a rough idea of how many miles a "significant distance" is?

It varies. How hard has the tire been run previously? How old? We ran 800 miles on one without issue. Never more than 50 MPH on pavement and no longer than an hour or two with breaks.

You can always carry a tube but I have seen them destroy the tire when they go. You should consider a Tubliss system.

bajatrailrider - 2-23-2020 at 09:26 PM

The tubeliss set up has its problems too. Ding the rim tire won't seal.

mjs - 2-24-2020 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
The tubeliss set up has its problems too. Ding the rim tire won't seal.

True. But easy enough to remove and throw in a tube.

advrider - 2-24-2020 at 08:14 AM

I know on one trip to Baja one of the guys had the tubeless system but he had problems with it. One being the 100 PSI that the inner bladder required to hold the tire on. At one point he screwed up the side wall and had to put a tube in? If you get good at changing tubes they are hard to beat for endure ridding. Also if you do destroy a mousses, I've been told it's a big mess and can take the tire out as well?

bajatrailrider - 2-24-2020 at 09:15 AM

It's all a matter of luck on flats since nothing is fool proof. I'm running 4mil thick tubes. Carry spares and tools don't like it on the other hand. With fail on moose and tubeless to have to carry a tube anyway . Is not worth it for me since I have spare set wheels. I should mount moose's on them just for catus busting trails.

Jinete Viejo - 2-24-2020 at 11:48 AM

I appreciate all of the good intel that has been provided here and pretty much agree with everything that has been said. On my upcoming ride I will probably be doing some cactus busting trails so I think mousse is the right choice for this ride.

KasloKid - 2-24-2020 at 12:02 PM

A few years ago, we helped a guy (pre-running) at Cocos to remove a melted mousse from his rear tire. The three of us took over an hour to scrape it out. After that experience, I swore I'd never use a mousse. I run Ultra HD tubes and carry paper thin (OEM factory issue) tubes with me.

bajatrailrider - 2-24-2020 at 05:15 PM

That is what I do.

advrider - 2-24-2020 at 08:36 PM

Hard to beat ultra HD natural rubber tubes, get good at changing tires and it's not much more then a quick break! Then have a shop patch the old one just incase...

Don Pisto - 2-24-2020 at 08:40 PM

throw in in a little Slime for good measure;)

bajatrailrider - 2-25-2020 at 09:15 AM

Slime works in my front tire but not in rear. As cheater tire flex will not let slime work. Or tire patches last about 10 min if close to house. I ride back on flat far away all of us jump in to help.

Jinete Viejo - 2-25-2020 at 05:08 PM

Slime users might want to consider Stan's. I've had better luck with Stan's than Slime.

pacificobob - 2-25-2020 at 05:16 PM

I just carry an extra regular tube, front/back,, a patch kit,and the tools to make it happen....oh, ya, an extra stem valve.

advrider - 2-25-2020 at 06:42 PM

The other issue I have is the $100 plus per tire extra for the inserts. That's a lot of HD tubes and beer when I have fix a flat!

John Harper - 2-25-2020 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
The other issue I have is the $100 plus per tire extra for the inserts. That's a lot of HD tubes and beer when I have fix a flat!

Which works better? Fix a flat, or Slime? We tried both in Wyoming on this guy's Africa Twin. It had spokes, so must have had a tube, but it had a huge piece of iron that punctured the tire. Slime did little, but the Fix a Flat used after seemed to help a bit more. IDK, I followed the guy for 50 miles into Alpine, WY. It still needed air all the way down the FS road.

John

advrider - 2-25-2020 at 08:17 PM

Fix a flat is good but clean the rim ASAP. I've seen aluminum rims ruined by fix a flat, it eat holes in the rim. I ran some stuff from Rocky Mountain(true balance?) that was a balancer and sealer. The only problem I find is it's hard to patch a tube with any kind of sealer in it.

John Harper - 2-26-2020 at 06:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I ran some stuff from Rocky Mountain(true balance?) that was a balancer and sealer. The only problem I find is it's hard to patch a tube with any kind of sealer in it.

Thank you. I've seen some pink liquid that is a sealer/balancer for motorcycle tires as well. I forget the name, or even whether it's for tubeless tires only. I'll probably carry a bottle of Slime and a can of FAF, along with my plug kit and compressor. It's great to be able to help people you come across if necessary.

John

[Edited on 2-26-2020 by John Harper]

bajatrailrider - 2-27-2020 at 08:46 AM

I like the fact that fix a flat pumps up tire (tube type) on my bike. For me never has lasted more then 10 min to half hour. I no longer put slime in my tires. If no flats it dries out So I carry two small bottles of tube type slime.

Don Pisto - 2-27-2020 at 09:58 AM

I know nothing about the mousse set-up, briefly rode a friends bike with a mousse and the "dead" feel felt really odd to me! but don't the rally guys use a mousse thats designed for high speeds and longevity?

bajatrailrider - 2-27-2020 at 11:57 AM

My rear moose after six months was so worn out. I removed it installed old strips of tubes on it. As it just got too small to fill out tire.