BajaNomad

Visa question

mooose29 - 2-23-2020 at 09:34 PM

I have my visa good for 180 days and as I understand it we are now allowed to come and go during that 180 day period with that visa.

Question, since I have my visa next week I am flying out of TJ via the CBX from San Diego. As I understand when crossing there a visa is required and can be gotten there for those needing the, Will I still need to get a new visa when crossing/boarding or will they allow me to use my current visa that is still valid for about 100 more days. Would rather not have to pay again if I don’t have to.

JZ - 2-23-2020 at 09:39 PM

Think you can use your existing one. But not 100% sure.

Good question.

JZ - 2-23-2020 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just a technical point, it is not a visa (even though it is similar to one). It is an FMM.

You like to argue this point, but you are wrong. It's a visa. I've been to 40+ countries. Many have different types of Visas (work, holiday, student, etc.) with different durations - and what country you are coming from changes the options as well. My Chinese Visa has 7 years left on it. Australian Visa was only good for 12 months.

Mexico has 3 Visa levels. Basically, tourist, temp residency, and permanent residency.

I had the middle one for several years when I had a house in Sonora.

Saying an FMM isn't a form of a Visa is asinine.

[Edited on 2-24-2020 by JZ]

BajaParrothead - 2-23-2020 at 10:35 PM

When I crossed at CBX to fly to La Paz in 2018, upon my return to TJ airport, they would not let us go back over the bridge unless we surrendered our FMM. It was an interesting 25 minutes while the other half searched for hers. :o

4x4abc - 2-23-2020 at 11:07 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_visa

surabi - 2-23-2020 at 11:09 PM

If you are a tourist, the FMM serves as a tourist visa. If you are a resident, it isn't a visa. A visa has a certain time period attached to it. If you are a resident, nowhere is there any time period stated on the FMM, and you are given nothing back from the FMM to carry with you, as you would a visa. If any of it could be called a visa, it would be your temp or permanent residency card, not the FMM form. As a resident, it's just a way for Mexico to keep track of how many foreigners are moving in and out of the country. It's for statistical purposes, not a visa.

[Edited on 2-24-2020 by surabi]

JZ - 2-23-2020 at 11:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
When I crossed at CBX to fly to La Paz in 2018, upon my return to TJ airport, they would not let us go back over the bridge unless we surrendered our FMM. It was an interesting 25 minutes while the other half searched for hers. :o

Wow. Good to know.

Last time we crossed was very early 2018. I don't remember them taking ours.

mooose29 - 2-24-2020 at 12:36 AM

I guess I really want to make sure when I use the CBX and I arrive at the desk where we get our visas/FMM that if I show them the one I have currently I am not going to create an issue.

BajaBlanca - 2-24-2020 at 05:37 AM

I am sure your visa/FMM is valid to enter Mexico. If you fly BACK to the U.S., you will have to surrender it.

mooose29 - 2-24-2020 at 08:52 AM

Blanca I am flying back into TJ and will cross back Over via the CBX from the airport. Do you think they will make me turn in my visa before crossing?

Alm - 2-24-2020 at 10:09 AM

If you don't fly over the border, you will simply keep the FMM in your passport/wallet.
Doubtful anyone will need to see it when in Mexico.

Not true, especially in this particular case. He is not flying over the border but he will need to show his FMM when crossing the bridge (and it should work perfectly well, so the answer to the OP question is Yes).

Alm - 2-24-2020 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
[It's a visa.

As said, it "works" like a tourist visa if you are a tourist, but it is not a visa.

Mexican visas do exist and are issued by Mexican consulates for nationals not eligible for simplified processing at the border (i.e. FMM).

Alm - 2-24-2020 at 07:24 PM

Southbound CBX works like any other Southbound pedestrian crossing and is not a special deal. You cross, you show FMM or buy it right there.

apple - 2-24-2020 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  

I used the CBX (kinda wish I hadn't) around Christmas and was not required to surrender my FMM on the way back, but that's just standard Mexican inconsistency more than anything else I'm sure

apple - 2-24-2020 at 08:08 PM

I had an incredibly annoying "It's not a visa" argument with a coworker recently. It talks like a visa, it walks like a visa, and looks like a visa, so I don't think you're wrong for calling it one.

Paco Facullo - 2-24-2020 at 08:19 PM

Visa -Shamisa , that's one of the many charms of Mexico, Ya NEVER quite know what anything REALLY is ???

It's ALWAYS up to each persons interpretation ... Mexican and Gringo....

JZ - 2-24-2020 at 09:40 PM

Call it what you want, blame the Russians, but Mexico says it's not a visa. Since it is theirs to name, seems correct. They do issue visas to other nations' visitors who fly to Mexico. The paper they issue to American and Canadian travelers has been called a "Tourist Card" and FM-T, but now FMM.
But, it still is pretty much a visa, lol!

It's a visa. Why you choose to die on this stupid hill I have no idea, but it's not a good look.

del mar - 2-24-2020 at 09:57 PM

Call it what you want, blame the Russians, but Mexico says it's not a visa.
to continue this silliness.....how about a source?

David K - 2-24-2020 at 10:04 PM

You guys are way too serious... It's a joke.

mtgoat666 - 2-24-2020 at 10:26 PM

it's a "visa."
"visa" is the universal name for this type of travel paper.
i have a ricoh copier, but to me it is my "xerox."

say "visa." everyone knows the flock you mean.

gnukid - 2-25-2020 at 03:42 AM

FMM is a permit not a Visa, a Visa is not technically required in Mexico.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

https://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

https://www.mexicomike.com/books/techstuff.htm

https://www.ivisa.com/mexico-blog/how-to-obtain-an-fmm-card-...

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-essentials/mexico-entry-r...

[Edited on 2-25-2020 by gnukid]

David K - 2-25-2020 at 08:25 AM

Thanks gnukid.
It's like they are having a meltdown over accepting this truth.

JZ - 2-25-2020 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
FMM is a permit not a Visa, a Visa is not technically required in Mexico.

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

https://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

https://www.mexicomike.com/books/techstuff.htm

https://www.ivisa.com/mexico-blog/how-to-obtain-an-fmm-card-...

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-essentials/mexico-entry-r...

[Edited on 2-25-2020 by gnukid]

You do realize these travel sites copy text from each other, no? I could list 10 saying it's a visa.

Anyone who says it's not a visa is just trying to be cute.

David K - 2-25-2020 at 11:03 AM

Don, your link takes one to the Visa application... for other countries beyond the U.S. or Canada.

See above where I said what a Mexican visa is for vs. an FMM (Tourist Card) is for.

We do not use the visa form you posted because we are getting an FMM.

[Edited on 2-25-2020 by David K]

Tourist permit?

AKgringo - 2-25-2020 at 11:58 AM

Since that is what it is for, sounds like we can start calling it that, or "TP" for short.

"TP" could also indicate what to do with it when it expires! :spingrin:

JZ - 2-25-2020 at 12:34 PM

Don, your link takes one to the Visa application... for other countries beyond the U.S. or Canada.

See above where I said what a Mexican visa is for vs. an FMM (Tourist Card) is for.

We do not use the visa form you posted because we are getting an FMM.

Mexico has different visa types, as do most countries.

The FMM is a tourist travel visa. As I said on page one, they also have temp and permanent residency visas.

If Mexico called a Cow a Dog I can see you arguing pointlessly that a Cow isn't a Cow in Mexico. Why do you take these ridiculous positions?

David K - 2-25-2020 at 04:55 PM

I am not worked up... I just like talking to you guys! :light:

mtgoat666 - 2-25-2020 at 05:41 PM

Its a visa. The english translation of spanish “fmm” is “visa”. truth that!

Visa is the internally-understood (french) word for travel permission document.

Lets talk about something more interesting, how about we talk about the foolishness of measuring sea levels with dk’s family photo albums?

David K - 2-25-2020 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Visa is the internally-understood (french) word for travel permission document.

Lets talk about something more interesting, how about we talk about the foolishness of measuring sea levels with dk’s family photo albums?

Oh, so you want to go there, do you?

Not just my photos... how about all photos back to the 1930s of the palm tree, just above the high tide line, that 90 years later is no closer to being in the water.
The palm is not moving... and neither is the high tide line!
This Chicken Little type of hysteria is really getting old!
Shall I post Al Gore's predictions or any other "climate expert's" ... all of which has failed to happen?
When you come to realize that Earth, Nature, and/or God is so much more powerful than man, then you will have total awareness instead of living in your box of closed ideas from the leftist media who use climate fear to have control over your life and your tax dollars.

gnukid - 2-25-2020 at 09:39 PM

Permit for tourists, TR/PR are visas for residents, Mexican citizenship is for citizens.

JZ - 2-25-2020 at 10:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

So, JZ-- how on earth have you managed to visit so many countries? You a diplomat or something?

Since college have worked for B2B tech companies that do 50% of their business internationally.

Traveled to visit customers from the get go. Customers were typically large communication equipment manufactures and telcos/mobile operators. First as a developer and later as an exec running various product lines.

A while back spent 5 years running international marketing for a mid-size company. Had staff in about 8 countries. That job was a blast. Had "friends" in a lot of cities around the world.

Now a CEO of small tech company. We do about 25% of our business international. I personally look after all our EMEA and AsiaPac reseller partners.

Love to travel. Have done 100's of international trips. Once counted flying on about 70 different airlines.

surabi - 2-26-2020 at 09:17 PM

Wrong. FMM= Forma Migratoria Multiple. Multiple Migratory Form. That's the translation.

mtgoat666 - 2-27-2020 at 03:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Wrong. FMM= Forma Migratoria Multiple. Multiple Migratory Form. That's the translation.

Wrong.
You only defined the acronym, you did not provide translation from English to Spanish .
The English translation is “visa ‘
:P
:lol:

Mr. Bills - 2-27-2020 at 01:50 PM

Goat, you are particularly full of it today.

Here are the accurate Spanish to English translations:

"FMM" in Spanish translates to "FMM" in English

"Forma Migratoria Multiple" in Spanish translates to "Multiple Migration Form" or "Multiple Migratory Form" in English (depending upon the translator)

Not a "Visa" in sight.

See:

https://www.google.com/search?q=translate+english+to+spanish...

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  

"Forma Migratoria Multiple" in Spanish translates to "Multiple Migration Form" or "Multiple Migratory Form" in English (depending upon the translator)

Not a "Visa" in sight.

See:

Goat is 100 correct%. In the broader sense, and to a normal human being, it translates to "visa."

Only ppl arguing for the sake of arguing are disputing this.

[Edited on 2-27-2020 by JZ]

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 03:05 PM

All the (English, since that's the language here) dictionary definitions I found state that a visa is something added to a traveler's passport, which would arguably exclude the FMM from that class.

Many times a Visa is added to a passport, (i.e. China, India, Brazil), but sometimes it is not (i.e. Australia).

Australia calls it an ETA - Electronic Travel Authority. You do the application, but they don't give you anything. They call an ETA a Visa, so hopefully there aren't a bunch of Japanese ppl on a message board somewhere trying to tell ppl an ETA isn't a Visa. Think about how silly that would be?

https://usa.embassy.gov.au/visas

Btw, they also have residency visa's separate from the tourist ETA. I wonder where we have seen that before?

surabi - 2-27-2020 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  

Not a "Visa" in sight.

See:

Goat is 100 correct%. In the broader sense, and to a normal human being, it translates to "visa."

Only ppl arguing for the sake of arguing are disputing this.

No, people who know better are arguing this. As a permanent resident, the FMM that I fill out when I fly in isn't what determines the length of time I am allowed to stay in the country, which is what a visa does. As a resident, I am not given anything back when I enter through immigration, as a tourist is. When I fly out, I don't have anything to hand back in- I fill out a new FMM. It is my residency card which determines my status, not the FMM, which is used purely for statistical purposes, in the case of residents.
But there seem to be a lot of Baja Nomads who think that whatever they believe is true.

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 03:11 PM

No, people who know better are arguing this. As a permanent resident, the FMM that I fill out when I fly in isn't what determines the length of time I am allowed to stay in the country, which is what a visa does. As a resident, I am not given anything back when I enter through immigration, as a tourist is. When I fly out, I don't have anything to hand back in- I fill out a new FMM. It is my residency card which determines my status, not the FMM, which is used purely for statistical purposes, in the case of residents.
But there seem to be a lot of Baja Nomads who think that whatever they believe is true.

Read what I wrote above about Australia. You ppl are a) either just arguing to argue or b) have no idea what a visa is and the different variations of them (even within the same country).

Just like other countries, MX has tourist visas and residency visa's. FMM is a tourist visa. I have had a TR visa before. And yes, it is a different type and purpose of visa from the FMM. We all know that, so you are stating the obvious.

You have wrapped you head so tightly around MX not explicitly stating it is a Visa, that you can't bring yourself to look at it from a common-sense vantage point: an FMM is the exact same thing that everyone in the world calls a Tourist Travel Visa. Think about that argument you are trying to make, and why?

[Edited on 2-28-2020 by JZ]

Mr. Bills - 2-27-2020 at 03:33 PM

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass whether or not a FMM is a "visa" in the larger sense, how similar documents in other countries might be characterized, or whether a FMM is just a statistical tool.

I know that I am supposed to have one if I am entering Mexico, I know how and where to get one, and that's all I really need to know.

My only point in posting in this thread was to comment on how my good friend Goat sometimes likes to make stuff up out of thin air. Like translations.

[Edited on 2-27-2020 by Mr. Bills]

Bajazly - 2-27-2020 at 09:44 PM

If the whole nonsensical argument got settled once and for all, it is or is not a visa... would a mariposa flapping its wings in the middle of Montana have any effect on the weather pattern of the western US?

Just about as relevant and would make almost the same amount of sense arguing about it.

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
If the whole nonsensical argument got settled once and for all, it is or is not a visa... would a mariposa flapping its wings in the middle of Montana have any effect on the weather pattern of the western US?

Just about as relevant and would make almost the same amount of sense arguing about it.

Well, what is it?

Bajazly - 2-27-2020 at 09:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Well, what is it?

It just doesn't matter and who cares?

You guys are hilarious with this but I guess now that Hwy 5 is complete the energy needs to be expended somewhere.

surabi - 2-28-2020 at 08:02 PM

Read what I wrote above about Australia. You ppl are a) either just arguing to argue or b) have no idea what a visa is and the different variations of them (even within the same country).

Just like other countries, MX has tourist visas and residency visa's. FMM is a tourist visa. I have had a TR visa before. And yes, it is a different type and purpose of visa from the FMM. We all know that, so you are stating the obvious.

You have wrapped you head so tightly around MX not explicitly stating it is a Visa, that you can't bring yourself to look at it from a common-sense vantage point: an FMM is the exact same thing that everyone in the world calls a Tourist Travel Visa. Think about that argument you are trying to make, and why?

[Edited on 2-28-2020 by JZ]

Why do you keep insisting that you are right, when you are wrong?
An FMM is an immigration document. One of the Ms stands for Multiple. Meaning the document has multiple uses. FMM is not synonymous with tourist visa, that is only one of the uses of the FMM. If you are a tourist, the bottom half is given back to you and serves as your tourist visa.
If you are a resident, the FMM is not a visa in any way. In that case, it is used purely for statistical purposes.

mtgoat666 - 2-28-2020 at 10:10 PM

To 99.9% of people that visit Mexico, the FMM is a tourist visa.
People that argue the FMM is not a visa are fools.

Alm - 2-29-2020 at 10:39 AM

FMM is not a tourist visa.

Mexican tourist/business visas are issued by Mexican consulates for those who must get a visa. There are quite a few countries on the list - all Africa, all Middle East except for Israel and (I think) Saudis, nearly all Asia and a few places in Central and South America. The process is rather involved. You must go to consulate, provide supporting documents as to the purpose of the trip, and pass the interview.

Mexican visa is usually a sticker, not a loose form. Different document, different process.

JZ - 2-29-2020 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
FMM is not a tourist visa.

Mexican tourist/business visas are issued by Mexican consulates for those who must get a visa. There are quite a few countries on the list - all Africa, all Middle East except for Israel and (I think) Saudis, nearly all Asia and a few places in Central and South America. The process is rather involved. You must go to consulate, provide supporting documents as to the purpose of the trip, and pass the interview.

Mexican visa is usually a sticker, not a loose form. Different document, different process.

Read the entire thread. Mexico has different types of Visas - as do all countries.

You are making a similarly flawed argument to that guy who tried to tell us that MX's tourist visa is not a visa because it has a different use and you get it a different way than a residency visa.

Yes, MX has a different procedure of issuing tourist visas depending on what country you are coming from. But because it is easier to get for certain ppl (US, Canadians, etc.) doesn't change what it does and what it is.

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by JZ]

surabi - 2-29-2020 at 02:56 PM

You are making a similarly flawed argument to that guy who tried to tell us that MX's tourist visa is not a visa because it has a different use and you get it a different way than a residency visa.

JZ, you have a serious reading comprehension problem. I never said a Mexican tourist visa isn't a visa, never. I said the FMM form is not synonymous with visa- that it has multiple uses and tourist visa is only one of the uses. Are you really that dense or stubborn that you can't understand that?

JZ - 2-29-2020 at 03:33 PM

JZ, you have a serious reading comprehension problem. I never said a Mexican tourist visa isn't a visa, never. I said the FMM form is not synonymous with visa- that it has multiple uses and tourist visa is only one of the uses. Are you really that dense or stubborn that you can't understand that?

Ok, I stand corrected on that.

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by JZ]

Alm - 3-1-2020 at 03:05 PM

Yes, MX has a different procedure of issuing tourist visas depending on what country you are coming from. But because it is easier to get for certain ppl (US, Canadians, etc.) doesn't change what it does and what it is.

Not just a different procedure but a different document. It even looks differently.

It's not easier to get a tourist visa for certain ppl - they are exempt from visa. This is the official view stated on the consulate website - Canadian or US nationals "do not require a visa", plain and simple.

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by Alm]

JZ - 3-1-2020 at 04:10 PM

Not just a different procedure but a different document. It even looks differently.

It's not easier to get a tourist visa for certain ppl - they are exempt from visa. This is the official view stated on the consulate website - Canadian or US nationals "do not require a visa", plain and simple.

Jfc, yes they look different. As does a residency visa. By this twisted logic a residency visa isn't a visa because it doesn't look like the tourist visa ppl from Africa use to visit MX.

As far as a tourist is concerned, an FMM acts as a visa. You have to have a very low IQ to not think it is. Or maybe I'm just being trolled.

[Edited on 3-2-2020 by JZ]

Alm - 3-1-2020 at 04:42 PM

Jfc, yes they look different. As does a residency visa. By this twisted logic a residency visa isn't a visa because it doesn't look like the tourist visa ppl from Africa use to visit MX.

FMM is a visa. You have to have a very low IQ to not think it is. Or maybe I'm just being trolled.

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by JZ]

You are accusing others of what you are doing, i.e. trolling. Resident visa is not relevant to discussion.

We are/were talking about tourist visas - which FMM is not. It may be "used" instead of a visa for those who don't need a visa. You're either having difficulty understanding this or not willing to admit the obvious. Whichever it is - not my problem, and neither is your level of IQ.

surabi - 3-1-2020 at 08:46 PM

I'll make a really simple analogy for those of you who still don't get it.

Ground beef is used to make spaghetti sauce. That doesn't mean that ground beef IS spaghetti sauce. Ground beef is used for other things besides spaghetti sauce.

An FMM is used as a tourist visa (call it a visa, tourist card, whatever) if you are a tourist. That doesn't mean an FMM IS a tourist visa. An FMM is used for other things besides a tourist visa.

[Edited on 3-2-2020 by surabi]

JZ - 3-1-2020 at 08:58 PM

I'll make a really simple analogy for those of you who still don't get it.

Ground beef is used to make spaghetti sauce. That doesn't mean that ground beef IS spaghetti sauce. Ground beef is used for other things besides spaghetti sauce.

An FMM is used as a tourist visa (call it a visa, tourist card, whatever) if you are a tourist. That doesn't mean an FMM IS a tourist visa. An FMM is used for other things besides a tourist visa.

[Edited on 3-2-2020 by surabi]

It is retarded that they made someone with a TR visa fill out an FMM. I Googled it and you are correct. Is this something new? I had a TR visa about 14 years ago. I don't remember filling out the FMM when I held the TR visa.

surabi - 3-1-2020 at 09:51 PM

It is retarded that they made someone with a TR visa fill out an FMM. I Googled it and you are correct. Is this something new? I had a TR visa about 10 years ago. I don't remember filling out the FMM when I held the TR visa.

No, it's not something new. I had a TR visa since 2004 and have held a PR visa for 5 years. We've always had to fill those out.
I don't understand what you mean by "it's retarded". It's an immigration form. That's what I've been trying to explain here, that a lot of people simply refuse to comprehend. INM uses them for statistical purposes, so they know how many foreigners- tourists, TRs, PRs, are entering and leaving Mexico. If one is a tourist, the bottom half serves as a tourist card with a stated date of exit. I have no idea what the govt. does with the information in general that is collected from those forms, but I'm sure that other countries all have some form of the same information collection.,
Maybe you should tell the US, Canada, and every other country that keeping count of how many foreigners with residency and tourists are crossing in and out of their borders is retarded.

JZ - 3-1-2020 at 10:44 PM

No, it's not something new. I had a TR visa since 2004 and have held a PR visa for 5 years. We've always had to fill those out.
I don't understand what you mean by "it's retarded". It's an immigration form. That's what I've been trying to explain here, that a lot of people simply refuse to comprehend. INM uses them for statistical purposes, so they know how many foreigners- tourists, TRs, PRs, are entering and leaving Mexico. If one is a tourist, the bottom half serves as a tourist card with a stated date of exit. I have no idea what the govt. does with the information in general that is collected from those forms, but I'm sure that other countries all have some form of the same information collection.,
Maybe you should tell the US, Canada, and every other country that keeping count of how many foreigners with residency and tourists are crossing in and out of their borders is retarded.

I'm not debating the idea of keeping statistics of travel. They should be able to track you from scanning your TR visa. Not make you fill out another document. That was my point.

Alm - 3-1-2020 at 11:38 PM

For those who still don't get it, before they embarrass themselves any further:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-no-requie...

Translation is embedded between the *** lines:

Nationals of the following countries or regions do not require a visa to travel to Mexico and apply for entry as a Visitor without permission to perform lucrative activities.

In the migration check point, you must present:

1) Passport or valid ID and travel document that is valid under international law.
2) Properly filled FMM.
3) The immigration authority may ask the foreign person to confirm the purpose of his/her trip, using one of the following documents:

a) Hotel reservation....

******************etc, etc.

Whatever FMM is, it is not a tourist visa as per Mexican government.

Yes, you must fill FMM if you are RT, they've been doing this for years. Seems to happen more often when you fly.

JZ - 3-1-2020 at 11:53 PM

For those who still don't get it, before they embarrass themselves any further:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-no-requie...

Translation is embedded between the *** lines:

Nationals of the following countries or regions do not require a visa to travel to Mexico and apply for entry as a Visitor without permission to perform lucrative activities.

In the migration check point, you must present:

1) Passport or valid ID and travel document that is valid under international law.
2) Properly filled FMM.
3) The immigration authority may ask the foreign person to confirm the purpose of his/her trip, using one of the following documents:

a) Hotel reservation....

******************etc, etc.

Yes, you must fill FMM if you are RT, they've been doing this for years. Seems to happen more often when you fly.

It was stated 2 pages back that MX doesn't call an FMM a Visa. You aren't posting anything new.

Guess what, it has all the functions of a Visa and more. If Mexico tells you a Cow is a FMM you'd argue that it isn't a Cow, it's an FMM, wouldn't you? That is exactly what you are doing here.

What they are telling you on that page is that if you aren't coming from Saudi, etc, you don't need a "special" visa.

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2020 at 11:55 PM

For those who still don't get it, before they embarrass themselves any further:...

But this conversation is being carried out in English. In English, “visa” is the common word for travel authorization, whether it is stamped in your passport or a separate piece of paper :light:
The fmm is a visa to most people speaking English.

Btw, when I travel with friends or family to Mexico, we call it “visa” or “tourist card.”

Some of you seem to have a problem with the word “visa,” how about “tourist card?” That get your panties in a bunch too?

Alm - 3-2-2020 at 11:13 AM

In English, “visa” is the common word for travel authorization

If "weed" is a common word for marijuana it doesn't mean that what growth along the highways is also marijuana.

Websites of Mexican consulates in the US are written in English, you may read it where it says about tourist visa requirements.

US tourists need a document making their stay legal and they are issued (lower portion of) FMM. They are not issued visa, they are exempt. It's a consular term with specific meaning regardless of how many people are using it. A tourist doesn't need to understand what is what, as long as he's got a proper document.

[Edited on 3-2-2020 by Alm]

JZ - 3-2-2020 at 11:30 AM

This thread has definitely weeded out the class clown.

JZ - 3-2-2020 at 11:33 AM

A better weed analogy would be that MX decided to call marijuana used for medical purposes an FMM, and you arguing for 4 days that it isn't marijuana.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by JZ]

Alm - 3-2-2020 at 11:51 AM

No offense, but you don't need to mask the fact that you have nothing to contribute.

Now the thread will spiral down to weed gardens, I guess.

Mr. Bills - 3-2-2020 at 11:55 AM

If an FMM were made of marijuana few would argue about them. Many would just eat or smoke theirs then sit and smile with a glassy eyed stare.

JZ - 3-2-2020 at 09:59 PM

Is this something new? I had a TR visa about 14 years ago. I don't remember filling out the FMM when I held the TR visa.
Has the Residente Temporal card even been around for 14 years?

Before that, a paper trail was generated by directly stamping your FM-3 book, so maybe there was no need for additional paperwork.

It's been so long that I forget. I had a TR visa that looked like a passport.

[Edited on 3-3-2020 by JZ]

gnukid - 3-3-2020 at 10:00 AM

It's been so long that I forget. I had a TR visa that looked like a passport.
Sounds like back when they were using FM-3 and FM-2 visas which were roughly equivalent to the current Residente Temporal and Residente Permanente thingies they're currently issuing but back then they did not use that terminology. The FM-2 was inmigrado track; after 5 years renewing that and paying the fees one could apply for inmigrado status, which supposedly ended the annual renewals forever.

I'm inmigrado but when my booklet eventually wore out they persuaded me into switching over to a Residente Permanente card, which I'm still uncertain about. For those of you with RP status, is there any expiration date on your visas? :?:

Inmigrado and PR are equivalent, there is no expiration unless you are under 18, you renew when you turn 18.