BajaNomad

Calexico-Mexicali-la paz

bajadude65 - 2-26-2020 at 06:33 PM

First time driving this way-3 of us wheelchair users so any tips on approaching border-crossing using which lanes-best days to cross-fmm where we go to get validated-any tips,thanks so much

pacificobob - 2-26-2020 at 06:55 PM

There is a wealth of information here. Welcome!
If you can ignore some negativity here, most have good intel,first hand skinny to offer

JZ - 2-26-2020 at 06:58 PM

Depending on where you are coming from (I'll assume SoCal), the West crossing is the best.

David K - 2-26-2020 at 07:39 PM

Be in the left lane at Mexicali #1 (West) to park for the FMM. Park and go into the building (with your passports) for the INM (immigration) desk. After you have the FMMs, go back to the parking area then drive through the automatic gates... Red or Green light for random vehicle inspection, ahead. Proceed south and follow signs for San Felipe (Mex #5). I won't confuse you with a short cut!

125 miles south, top your gas tank at San Felipe (5 stations in the area on the route). Turn right at the traffic circle (not the white arches, but beyond them... this is the route south. In 10 kms (6 miles) from the traffic circle, you turn left for Puertecitos (and south). Ahead ends at the airport. This is Km. 0 for the rest of Hwy. 5 south. In 200 kilometers you will reach Hwy. 1 which is the road for the rest of your trip. Next gas is about 100 miles south. Never pass a gas station if you are below a half tank without topping off.

Try and see some things, don't be in a hurry! At San Ignacio oasis, turn right at the whale bones and go the 2 miles to the town plaza and see the huge mission church, built in the 1700s with 4 ft. thick stone blocks!!!

I used it for the cover of my book>>>

BajaBlanca - 2-27-2020 at 08:14 AM

Welcome Bajadude65! Have a wonderful trip and when you are done, give us a trip report to add to our archives, especially since it will include info for future wheelchair users who travel to Baja.

unbob - 2-27-2020 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Depending on where you are coming from (I'll assume SoCal), the West crossing is the best.
So, coming from the east on I-8, the east Calexico crossing is recommended?

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  

[/rquote]So, coming from the east on I-8, the east Calexico crossing is recommended?

Yes, it's a little faster when coming from the East. Avoids a little of the city traffic.

Going North I always use the East crossing.

Bajazly - 2-27-2020 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
So, coming from the east on I-8, the east Calexico crossing is recommended?

Going thru East is not quite as straight forward getting to 5 as west is but it's not too difficult. Also going thru West in Calexico there are more places to get gas and last minute things you may want. Many casa de cambios too. The very last one on the left always has the best rate, a block before you have to turn right to go a block to enter the crossing.

bajadude65 - 2-27-2020 at 04:23 PM

we will be coming from LV NV to Calexico-so Mexicali west left lane it will be-love historic sites-local food-gas stations lol-hope to cross over March between 18 to 25- so huge thanks for the info,we are very excited

David K - 2-27-2020 at 04:34 PM

Please report back in after your trip (or during) to let us know you are ok and to hear what fun you had!

bajadude65 - 2-27-2020 at 04:40 PM

weekday or weekends for the best times to cross at Mexicali to San felipe

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadude65  
weekday or weekends for the best times to cross at Mexicali to San felipe

Only time I've ever seen a backup was late afternoon on a Friday. We usually cross between 10am and noon or early evening.

Coming back is another matter. You need to time it. Avoid Sundays and certainly the end of holiday weekends.

David K - 2-27-2020 at 05:20 PM

Agree... avoid Friday late afternoon and early evening if southbound.

Northbound, I only recommend Tecate... extra driving is a whole lot better than waiting in line with idling cars!
However, even Tecate can have bad days.. no guarantees. Also it is NOT open 24 hours!! I think 11 pm or midnight to 5 am it is closed?

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Northbound, I only recommend Tecate... extra driving is a whole lot better than waiting in line with idling cars!
However, even Tecate can have bad days.. no guarantees. Also it is NOT open 24 hours!! I think 11 pm or midnight to 5 am it is closed?

You don't have Sentri?

Don Pisto - 2-27-2020 at 06:00 PM

never know, yesterday was 5-10 minutes readylane Otay at 12 noon.....returning from La Jolla to Chaparral at 4:30 was two effin hours! :(

David K - 2-27-2020 at 08:06 PM

You don't have Sentri?

No. No Sentri at Tecate, either. Mid-week, there is no line and weekends is 45 minutes average.

JZ - 2-27-2020 at 09:44 PM

No. No Sentri at Tecate, either. Mid-week, there is no line and weekends is 45 minutes average.

Why don't you have Sentri?

Bajazly - 2-27-2020 at 10:04 PM

Why don't you have Sentri?

I cross about 3 to 5 times a month, crossed twice in one day about a week ago, and once you deal with the 1 or 2 or no car wait, Tecate will be a distant memory.I usually wait longer for the traffic light to get onto city streets than I do at the gate and I've been there all different times and days.

David K - 2-28-2020 at 08:19 AM

Sentri is designed for people who cross frequently, like Bajazly.
Typically, I cross 2-4 times a YEAR, not a month. Only in 2017 did I cross more, 8 times researching for the new road guide.
The border wait, if there is one, is simply a part of the trip. I don't allow such things to upset me.
By all means, if you cross every month, get one.

mtgoat666 - 2-28-2020 at 08:53 AM

Typically, I cross 2-4 times a YEAR, not a month. Only in 2017 did I cross more, 8 times researching for the new road guide.
The border wait, if there is one, is simply a part of the trip. I don't allow such things to upset me.

sentri and global entry are great for even infrequent border crossing. the border line can be unpredictable, and the long line is always frustrating -- nothing is worse than waiting in a long line on sunday night after a long trip when you are tired after 8 hours of driving!
the added bonus of tsa pre-check is worth it alone -- the only thing worse than a border line on a sunday night is having to remove your shoes and belt and toiletries and laptop at airport security!
and the price of sentri or ge is super cheap, works out to about $25/year/person.

Paco Facullo - 2-28-2020 at 09:02 AM

For a proverbial host of reasons, not everyone will get Sentri.

It could be due to as simple as marijuana charge back in the 60's
or any other such past history mishaps.

I have Sentri /Global entry,,, I was lucky I never got caught... Yet :?:

JZ - 2-28-2020 at 09:12 AM

This is false. Why are you so stubborn?

It cost $100. The app takes 20mins and the interview takes 15.
You'd recoup your time and $ in 1 to 2 trips.

Plus a lot of credit cards refund the $100.

Not to mention you get TSA Pre for all domestic flight. No more taking your shoes off.

JZ - 2-28-2020 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

sentri and global entry are great for even infrequent border crossing. the border line can be unpredictable, and the long line is always frustrating -- nothing is worse than waiting in a long line on sunday night after a long trip when you are tired after 8 hours of driving!

the added bonus of tsa pre-check is worth it alone -- the only thing worse than a border line on a sunday night is having to remove your shoes and belt and toiletries and laptop at airport security!
and the price of sentri or ge is super cheap, works out to about $25/year/person.

How did you become such a good poster?

JZ - 2-28-2020 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
For a proverbial host of reasons, not everyone will get Sentri.

It could be due to as simple as marijuana charge back in the 60's
or any other such past history mishaps.

I have Sentri /Global entry,,, I was lucky I never got caught... Yet :?:

You can have a DUI and still get one. Has to be 10 years old at least.

For weed, I've read on Flyer Talk that small possession charges won't stop you from getting GE. Not sure if the same 10 year rule applies. Think it's only been a ticket in CA since 2011 though.

David K - 2-28-2020 at 10:00 AM

Thanks JZ, but we have no more flying plans. I don't mind if there is a wait. Now, do you have a solution for jury duty??? That's where I will be next week! UGH!

Paco Facullo - 2-28-2020 at 10:09 AM

If you got caught with even a small amount of weed previous to 1996 (??) than you have a felony on your record and that (I believe ) is enough to snuff your chances of getting Sentri.

JZ - 2-28-2020 at 10:46 AM

Thanks JZ, but we have no more flying plans. I don't mind if there is a wait. Now, do you have a solution for jury duty??? That's where I will be next week! UGH!

Ignore them. Has worked for me so far.

JZ - 2-28-2020 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
If you got caught with even a small amount of weed previous to 1996 (??) than you have a felony on your record...

Really?

unbob - 3-1-2020 at 12:59 PM

Plus a lot of credit cards refund the $100.
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer
Note: Most if not all of these cards have an annual fee.