BajaNomad

Coronavirus

Pages:  1  

TMW - 3-10-2020 at 03:23 PM

Marc Serota (one of our former allergy fellows at Childrens Mercy) posted this on facebook. I think it is the clearest statement regarding Coronavirus I have seen per one of our Current Asthma/allergy Doctors:

From an MD immunologist:

1. Coronaviruses are a family of viruses. "coronavirus" is not unique to this particular strain. Everyone reading this has likely had another different coronavirus infection. This particular strain has been named COVID-19.

2. Every upper respiratory virus has the potential to be lethal. Patients unfortunately die from many upper respiratory viral infections every year - most prominently the influenza virus. 30,000 people died from the influenza virus in 2019. The media didn't report each one. They have reported all 11 coronavirus deaths. Not telling us about the people lost but rather keeping a death "toll".

Let me repeat that:
-Coronavirus: 11 deaths (US in 2020), 3300 deaths (China in 2020).
-Influenza: 30,000 deaths (US in 2019).

*Influenza pandemic of 1918: 675,000! (US), 20-50 MILLION!! (worldwide) <---These people I think would have been in favor of receiving their annual flu vaccine.

This is not meant to minimize any of these deaths but rather to give context and put some facts to the hysteria.

3. If you're healthy, there is no need to walk around wearing a mask. In addition to looking silly and most of the time wearing/taking them off wrong - which would actually make you more prone to acquiring an infection, they don't prevent you from getting sick. If you're actually sick stay away from people and then, sure, wear a mask so you aren't spreading respiratory droplets every time you cough/sneeze. In medicine we don't wear the masks you're buying and we wear other protective equipment - not just a silly looking mask you found on Amazon. When you see doctor's walking around the world wearing a mask then you should too. Until then, stop.

4. The symptoms are that of the flu. As doctors we don't test or know about most people with mild or moderate flu symptoms. That means most people will probably get it and just think they had the flu. That means you're only going to hear about the cases that get serious - not all the minor ones which will be the vast majority of cases.

5. When it is said that people who are older or have other medical conditions are most likely to die - that is equally true for EVERY upper respiratory virus. There is nothing unique about that to this particular virus. It does mean that the only cases we tend to know about are the severe ones. Once a case is severe it then makes sense to test the patient to find out what virus in particular they have. That means you can easily overestimate how severe or lethal the virus is because the only cases you end up knowing about are the serious ones.

In summary 30,000 people died from the flu last year. Another 30,000 died in car accidents.

I remember: H1N1 (2009), MERS (2012), Ebola (2014), Coronavirus (2020).

Take it from me: The poor resident who stood at the door of the ER to triage people in 2009's swine flu (H1N1) hysteria. The over reaction is exponentially worse than the actual problem and in 2020 the over reactions I'm seeing are remarkable. In cold and flu season you'll probably get sick once or twice for about a week each. You might even get this particular coronavirus and most of you won't even know it. I've seen people raiding supermarkets, major meetings and sporting events getting cancelled and fear/racism towards Asian people. These reactions are totally unnecessary and panic based. Just do what you've always done during cold/flu season. Stay away from other people when you're sick, wash your hands and keep them away from your face, and only go to the ER if you feel your symptoms are more severe than a bad cold/flu (shortness of breath, high fever, etc.). And also realize you can't live on earth and not get viral illnesses from time to time. It's a part of nature.

Please don't ask for antibiotics (those treat bacteria - not viruses). Thats like asking for a fire extinguisher when you're drowning. It can be a life saving device - but the wrong one for the problem at hand. Some doctor's don't want to fight about it when patients insist on antibiotics so they just prescribe them - but it doesn't mean its actually helping you and in some cases they can be harmful (resistance, infections, allergic reactions just to name a few). If you're one who asks for antibiotics every time you're sick, again, take it from me: ask for a flu shot each year and a doctor's note to stay home from work when you're sick instead. You will be much better off.

The government is very proud that testing will be available to every American. Remember, we don't test for any respiratory virus other than the influenza virus routinely. The reason is thats the only virus that has a treatment (pill) you can take to shorten the duration of severity of the illness. I suspect if we start testing everyone with cold symptoms for coronavirus we're going to find lots of it. It's not going to change the recommendations to stay home and rest. And its not going to predict the small percentage of people who may develop more severe symptoms. Essentially whether someone has coronavirus 19 or some other cold/flu virus isn't going to matter to your doctor. What it will do is slam urgent cares, ER's and hospitals with every patient who has a cold so they can be tested. It is much more sensible to reserve testing for patients requiring hospitalization or more advanced treatments. Even that wouldn't change their management but would be more to confirm the diagnosis and to not waste time looking for other causes of the patients symptoms.

In conclusion, yes there is a novel virus that our immune systems haven't seen yet so to get immune to it you will have to get infected - at least until a vaccine is developed to bypass the getting sick part and just jumping straight to immune. Most people's immune systems will do that effectively and be fine. A small percentage of unfortunate patients (primarily elderly, immune compromised etc.) will not be able to do that effectively and will need more advanced care. This is true of the cold/flu viruses we deal with every year. Follow normal cold/flu precautions and seek medical care if you feel your symptoms are severe. No need to get hysterical.

These outbreaks can be instructive for overall knowledge of public health. In particular showing your immune system the uniform of a potential invader (virus) so that if it ever sees a soldier wearing that uniform it will immediately attack and neutralize it without you ever getting sick. That is a wonderful thing and probably the single biggest achievement in medicine throughout human history. That is what vaccines are. The benefit to risk ratio of them are off the charts in favor of vaccines. If viruses like coronavirus scare you, then stay up to date on your vaccines and your immune system will be running the latest software.

If you still think you should be scared consider this: Doctors, nurses and other healthcare staff are going to hospitals every day. Crowded buildings with tons of sick people. They aren't walking around the halls of the hospitals wearing masks and they haven't stopped going to work. And they are all rolling their eyes at everyone else right now.

Marc Serota, MD

BobbyC - 3-10-2020 at 04:34 PM

The only problem with this attempt to make us feel like it's really not that big of a deal is that there are relatively very few test kits available meaning that not only do we not yet know the true scope of how many are affected right now, we really don't know how many of those who have died in recent weeks were really due to the coronavirus, and not just an "ordinary" flu bug.

When we have wide availability and access to test kits we'll be able to say for sure how big of a problem this really is. Until then we just don't know for sure. I wish this administration was investing their time and efforts spent on this media campaign to convince us nothing is happening on getting a mass distribution of test kits.

Like the old saying, "ignorance is bliss".

Makes me wonder if maybe they really don't want to know?

thebajarunner - 3-10-2020 at 04:46 PM

Thanks TMW.... good words in the face of our usual crazed media.

This morning the CDC sent out a bulletin recommending that everyone over age 60 should stay home.... Brilliant!!! Who hires these people?

Just came home from Costco... No bottled water (we have a very functional well and never use the stuff) No toilet paper..... limited canned goods, lots of empty shelves. No wonder Costco stock was up seven bucks today.

Guess I will ask the neighbors if anyone has a bomb shelter left over from the 50's where we can hunker down, eat spam and MREs and wait this out.

Oh, and yes, I did see Chuck Schumer on t.v. and he said it is all Trump's fault... might have known.

DaliDali - 3-10-2020 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BobbyC  

When we have wide availability and access to test kits we'll be able to say for sure how big of a problem this really is. Until then we just don't know for sure. I wish this administration was investing their time and efforts spent on this media campaign to convince us nothing is happening on getting a mass distribution of test kits.

There were no stockpiles for a test on a totally new virus.
They (commercial labs) are kicking out test kits as fast as they can.
The admin just gave a lengthy new conference on commercial labs kicking out test kits by the millions within a few days.
It's a lot more complicated than just shrink wrapping a ball of gauze and a vacutainer and shipping them out helter skelter.

You don't need a test if you don't' have symptoms.
And if you do have symptoms...you will need a doctor to green light a test for you.

What would you have done if you had been in charge of providing for tests and manufacturing them?
Would you have provided a better way or a more timely way?

caj13 - 3-10-2020 at 05:35 PM

I appreciate the information, but I'm a bit concerned over a couple of things he writes - or does not address.
1. current flu deaths in USA - for the 2019-2020 season (not over yet, but it's about 8500 or so according to CDC. last year was much worse, they missed on the vaccine formulation guess.

I'm also concerned because I see no mention of infection rates, and exponential growth. It is the exponential growth that is worrying, if it continues, deaths will jump up precipitously. here is a really good brief video explaining exponential growth, applys current numbers, and demonstrates the issues with exponential growth, as well as how to determine when the growth is slowing down or leveling out (as in china, korea, znd Japan right now - the rest of the world is still in exponential growrth , includingf the USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg

also - I have seen one set of data from Washington state that the death rate among the elderly was approaching 15%, that's a huge number particularly when you consider the death rate from flu among typically less than 1%.

epidemiologists want to know 2 things -
1. the death rate - how many infected die
2. how easily is it spread

we are still trying to determine those numbers for this virus

caj13 - 3-10-2020 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

The admin just gave a lengthy new conference on commercial labs kicking out test kits by the millions within a few days.
It's a lot more complicated than just shrink wrapping a ball of gauze and a vacutainer and shipping them out helter skelter.

And if you do have symptoms...you will need a doctor to green light a test for you.

What would you have done if you had been in charge of providing for tests and manufacturing them?

actually tests were available in large quantities from Germany, the US chose to develop their own - delaying the testing.

and one thing you said - you seem to miss the significance of.

yes, in most cases, particularly the young, symptoms are mild , and some are even asymptomatic. Turns out - those cases can still be shedding virus - meaning they are infective. so people running around feeling fine can and will spread the virus, thats a huge issue! thats how you start to get pandemic numbers.

That's why we are seeing school closures, because they will function as incubators and giant vector dispersal mechanisms as their local area start to see community transmission

pacificobob - 3-10-2020 at 09:35 PM

I feel completely reassured now that I have learned that covid-19 is nothing to be concerned about.

BobbyC - 3-10-2020 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/10/us/c...

paranewbi - 3-11-2020 at 05:15 AM

The only problem with this attempt to make us feel like it's really not that big of a deal is that there are relatively very few test kits available meaning that not only do we not yet know the true scope of how many are affected right now, we really don't know how many of those who have died in recent weeks were really due to the coronavirus, and not just an "ordinary" flu bug.

Like the old saying, "ignorance is bliss".

Makes me wonder if maybe they really don't want to know?

Your premise that it will help to know how many people actually have/had the virus would give us a better idea of the 'real' size of the problem is based on your fear and perception that it is a problem at all.

What probably would happen is that the percentage of undesirable results from the infection would drop as we find out most who have the virus do not suffer the most extreme consequence.

It is more likely to be the same as the flu statistics where the number who suffer the most falls in percentage to the totality of the infection...when it reaches into the millions of infected we will become just as numb to the total deaths as we are right now to the flu infections.

motoged - 3-11-2020 at 09:05 AM

This situation seems to have politicians making medical decisions.
Hmmmmm.....hasn't the current pos administration demonstrated its ideology re: health care by cutting funding generally?

Denial works as a temporary management strategy.....:light:

pacificobob - 3-11-2020 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
This situation seems to have politicians making medical decisions.
Hmmmmm.....hasn't the current pos administration demonstrated its ideology re: health care by cutting funding generally?

Denial works as a temporary management strategy.....:light:

Bingo....spot-on.

Bajaboy - 3-11-2020 at 09:43 AM

I don't trust anything coming out of the White House. But the World Health Organization just declared COVID 19 a pandemic.

https://tinyurl.com/tpcszex

elgatoloco - 3-11-2020 at 09:54 AM

TERRIFYING SCI-FI MOVIE PLOT
A deadly virus sweeps the globe, but the only information citizens receive from vital scientists and doctors must be cleared thru a religious-fanatic that believes smoking doesn't cause cancer, dinosaurs never existed and plagues are sent by god.
:rolleyes:

ehall - 3-11-2020 at 10:21 AM

Are testing kits even relevant since there is no vaccine or treatment?

BobbyC - 3-11-2020 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

That would probably be the position of the administration but of course that's absurd. If we cannot identify the depth and reach of this virus, containing it once a vaccine is created would be exponentially more difficult without having that much needed data.

4x4abc - 3-11-2020 at 10:51 AM

I have no idea how Corona will turn out for us - it does not look good though. Life as we knew it, may have just ended. Feel free to believe whatever you want - but see this paper first:
https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-peop...

corona Italy.jpg - 82kB

"Knowledge is power"

Whale-ista - 3-11-2020 at 11:19 AM

Yes- we need testing, especially for people in frequent/high volume contact with the public.

Otherwise, consider what has already happened with 3 TSA employees in SFO: they tested positive for COVID. Before that diagnosis, they were in contact with people travelling all over the world, potentially spreading COVID via additional flights.

So: yes, get tested.
Knowledge is power.

In general: If you are positive for COVID, but are not in the "high risk" category (underlying medical conditions, poor health, age 60+), and/or have mild symptoms: STAY HOME, rest, recuperate, stay away from others.

If conditions worsen: seek medical assistance

Closer to home: I just explained to my college students that we are in the process of transitioning all our classes to online delivery by end of March.

Other colleges and universities are doing the same.

Some of us might be able to work from home, or take (hopefully paid) medical leave.

For those without these options... this will be a wake-up call re:the status of our current healthcare system in the US, and the impacts of not having paid sick days for many workers.

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

BajaNaranja - 3-11-2020 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Let me repeat that:
-Coronavirus: 11 deaths (US in 2020), 3300 deaths (China in 2020).
-Influenza: 30,000 deaths (US in 2019).

This is not meant to minimize any of these deaths but rather to give context and put some facts to the hysteria.

Sorry, but comparing total deaths today right now from COVID-19 vs. annual flu deaths is such a dumb argument.

Gonna take 3-7 months for this thing to play out.

Bajazly - 3-11-2020 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I have no idea how Corona will turn out for us - it does not look good though. Life as we knew it, may have just ended. Feel free to believe whatever you want - but see this paper first:

A lot of hypothetical data but pretty shocking even if it's half right.

Harald, what are you seeing in La Paz in the way of community concern? I see little to none here in SF and Mexicali.

bajabuddha - 3-11-2020 at 03:25 PM

New Mexico just declared its first three cases of the virus; one in Albuquerque and two about an hour south of there. The Governor just ordered a State of Emergency and is taking pro-active measures about large gatherings, etc. Some can actually fart and chew gum at the same time.

Will be interesting to see if Spanky Bonespurs tonight declares a National State of Emergency, like when he did for those nasty ''bad hombres'' Messicans coming up from the south.... or if he'll blame the media for the stock market crash and Obama for the virus.

The WalllyWorld in my little town of 6,000 was SOLD OUT of TP and paper towels today; the panic-pandemic has already started. Some illnesses spread faster than the flu.

paranewbi - 3-11-2020 at 03:53 PM

So...who do you test?
We all get in line and get tested, then what? go to the end of the line and get tested again and again because you may have contracted it in the interim?
So what if we could test everyone in the country? That's a point in time analysis.
Do you test those with a fever only? A sore throat? or maybe the sniffles (allergy season...great!).
And it is not killing the overwhelming number of infected! It is pretty much those with an underlying condition. So maybe this is only going to wipe out the old and infirm. Kids will rule the day and Sanders will get elected...if he survives. Poor Joe is going down.

Don Pisto - 3-11-2020 at 04:38 PM

alright this chit is starting to really pizz me off.......F1 racing cancelled, moto GP cancelled, now Seattle SX cancelled! what next, SF250!

del mar - 3-11-2020 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
alright this chit is starting to really pizz me off.......F1 racing cancelled, moto GP cancelled, now Seattle SX cancelled! what next, SF250!

Imagine if it were baseball or football season! guess they'd play in empty stadiums?

msteve1014 - 3-11-2020 at 05:15 PM

If I can't get F1 and Moto GP I don't need cable tv. May as well go back to Baja

4x4abc - 3-11-2020 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Harald, what are you seeing in La Paz in the way of community concern? I see little to none here in SF and Mexicali.

folks here are clueless
they sneeze in any direction they feel like
I am skipping lunch now that I saw that in the kitchen of a favorite place

if the virus should hit here (and there is no reason why it shouldn't) the system will collapse

bajabuddha - 3-11-2020 at 05:28 PM

My 'little town of 6,000' just notified that a high school student fresh back from Italy is now with his family on voluntary quarantine.

There are local and State gov'ts doing things pro-actively; then there's IMPOTUS, and CULT 45*.

Bajazly - 3-11-2020 at 06:00 PM

folks here are clueless
they sneeze in any direction they feel like
I am skipping lunch now that I saw that in the kitchen of a favorite place

if the virus should hit here (and there is no reason why it shouldn't) the system will collapse

I don't watch TV here so not sure how they are getting the word out if in fact they are even making an effort. I've wondered what the real numbers are here and if they would even know what they were looking at if they were confronted with cases. Can't see a bunch of tests being made and distributed.

Given the low death numbers in some places, not rate but physical numbers outside of China, I think it's going to have to get pretty bad down here before something is done. It will be hot here soon so let's hope there is something to the heat having a positive effect on the virus.

blackwolfmt - 3-11-2020 at 06:14 PM

Lectron-Carbs-Coronavirus-COVID-19-prevention-tactics3.jpg - 76kB
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BobbyC - 3-11-2020 at 07:09 PM

The NBA just suspended their season as well. Doesn't look like a hoax now, does it?

chumlee57 - 3-11-2020 at 08:55 PM

WOW, I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT BAJA PEOPLE HAD A PRETTY GOOD GRASP OF INTELLIGENT COMPREHENSION. Sorry to inform the many good people that frequent this board, that the juries out on this, even if you get it, you'll probably be fine ( we'll have a very public review of this virus, as two of Hollywoods finest have contracted it in Australia ) Always be cautious and err on the side of caution, but keep things real... if i'm wrong on this I will stand front and center and broadcast ( if I'm alive ) that being anxious, crazy nervous and recreating Mel Brooks 'High Anxiety' was a great move

Ateo - 3-11-2020 at 11:29 PM

Tom Hanks??!!??

Hook - 3-11-2020 at 11:37 PM

March Madness to be played without fans. Incredible!!!!

From the US State Department:

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19. Many areas throughout the world are now experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and taking action that may limit traveler mobility, including quarantines and border restrictions,"

Oh yeah, and official internal discussions within the Trump Administration about corona virus are now CLASSIFIED INFORMATION!

Can you believe this?

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by Hook]

Paco Facullo - 3-12-2020 at 03:35 AM

All I can say is that THERE IS MORE TO THIS than what they are telling us..
The the shutting downs of events and the 30 day ban on Europe travel ban isn't any small thing ! This is HUGE !

Prepare people NOW !

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2020 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Administration about corona virus are now CLASSIFIED INFORMATION!

Can you believe this?

Oh, nothing is unbelievable with trumpsters. :(

They are idiots to classify the discussions about public health policy. The political PR spin machine of trump is out of control.

Listen to your state and local experts.

The administration cannot be trusted, the administration is lieing about life and death matters to protect their tenuous grasp of power.

pacificobob - 3-12-2020 at 07:42 AM

EVERY country has a motivation to conceal the real numbers. Facts and truth are the first casualties of outbreaks. IQ45 thinks the numbers are equivalent to reality TV ratings.

BajaTed - 3-12-2020 at 08:40 AM

"There will always be a thin veneer between our society and chaos." T. Hobbs

We are all individuals, but the security blanket of the social contract we each made is now being disrupted.
Our capitalistic/democratic society depends on leadership to stay intact.
Not complicated stuff, philosophy 101 & history 101
Your own personal opportunity to be a leader is near.....

Hook - 3-12-2020 at 09:33 AM

I'm not sure how this "classified information" ban is going down. I am watching a live feed on You tube of a House Oversight committee hearing.

It involves National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Dr Anthony Fauci and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield, along with other HHS, DOD and GAO officials testify again before the House oversight and government reform committee.

At least a nuts and bolts hearing like this is not being affected by this "classified" status.

Unfortunately, the persons questioning these individuals are highly politicizing the hearing. Big surprise, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO-_aV-v7IA

4x4abc - 3-12-2020 at 09:51 AM

I've wondered what the real numbers are here and if they would even know what they were looking at if they were confronted with cases. Can't see a bunch of tests being made and distributed.

here is a way to look at it:
lets say the official numbers are (hypothetically) 120 infected - 1 death
the numbers are likely wrong (not intentionally - just what is known)

from infection to death it is on average 18 days
death rate is around 1%

so, if you have one death it means that there must have been 100 infections 18 days before
infection rate doubles every 6 days at the moment
so, by the time you have one official death, the group of 100 infections has ballooned to to 800

meaning the real number vs the published number is "800 infected - 1 death" vs "120 infected - 1 death"
meaning also that 680 are either without symptoms (but infecting others nonetheless) or undetected (diagnosed with the flu and also infecting others)

the main job therefore right now is to slow down the number of new infections
that can only be achieved by social isolation
closing selected areas - even countries
no more travel
no more gathering with many others
no hugging
no hand shakes
especially isolate the elderly - they are especially vulnerable (children are not)

everyone claiming all this to be hysteria, and thus maintaing their previous social pattern (hugging, kissing, partying), might be spreading death to people around them
remember that stubborn lady in South Korea? Insisting to go to church even with a possible infection? She is known to have infected thousands and killed a good number of fellow citizens.

4x4abc - 3-12-2020 at 10:03 AM

so Mexico specific - 12 known cases, one near death

lets assume that poor fellow dies tomorrow
that would mean the true number of infections in Mexico is not 12 but 800

it does not look good

wash your hands anyway - 30 seconds minimum
images below show why (bacteria and virusses made visible with special light)
any soap works

hand hygene 30 seconds.jpg - 63kB

Hook - 3-12-2020 at 10:13 AM

Hearing adjourned at 10am MST.

About the only thing of significance I heard was one committee member basically forcing the head of the CDC to agree to allow ANY American, regardless of whether they have insurance or not, to get a FREE corona virus test. She was insistent that by virtue of some Federal law, he had the authority to authorize this. He seemed to agree to do it. Let's see if there is any walking back from this.

After the adjournment, the chairwoman of this committe greeted one of the testifying doctors with an elbow bump.

Man, I guess we all need to take this a little more seriously...... :o

Hook - 3-12-2020 at 10:20 AM

I believe this is a recording of the committee meeting that I referred to above, that recently adjourned at around 10am MST.

This is about as immediate an update on this situation as one is going to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h34z6hS52YM

Bajazly - 3-12-2020 at 10:25 AM

What is impressive, if they are believable, are the "new case" numbers coming out of China. For a while now it has been low double digits.

Italy however, is on the opposite end of the scale.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

4x4abc - 3-12-2020 at 12:34 PM

Corona in the US:
1523 cases reported - 40 deaths
40 deaths mean that 18 days ago 4,000 people were infected (1% death rate)
the number of infected doubles every 6 days
so 4,000 infected from 18 days ago have ballooned to 32,000 infected today (and not 1523 as officially reported).

if we can not slow the infection rate that number will explode to 500,000 in one month

no need to panic, as most of us will not die. Many will though.
Stay away from others and wash your hands religiously

sorry for my previously bad math

[Edited on 3-13-2020 by 4x4abc]

grizzlyfsh95 - 3-12-2020 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
I don't trust anything coming out of the White House. But the World Health Organization just declared COVID 19 a pandemic.

https://tinyurl.com/tpcszex

If Joy Behar hasn't said it, then it cannot be true.

Paco Facullo - 3-12-2020 at 02:11 PM

Being that the majority of Nomads are on the wrong side of 60 , MOST here are screwed !!!:o:o

Including Moi ,,,,

Be safe my friends !:biggrin:

[Edited on 3-12-2020 by Paco Facullo]

bajabuddha - 3-12-2020 at 02:12 PM

:rolleyes:.....she has, and it is.... :no:

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2020 at 05:36 PM

Here in the USA the whole country is shutting. Commute traffic is disappearing. People are canceling travel. In some cities the populace is going into hibernation/quarantine. Ports like LA are almost ghost towns.

This will be very, very, very bad for the economy. People will stop spending on so many things, all businesses will see negative sales.

The economy is flocked!

I see recession coming,...

Wonder how long it will take to recover?

Paco Facullo - 3-12-2020 at 05:50 PM

I've been buying the Sh*t out'a ammo, food stuffs and booze,,, so all is well !!!

mtgoat666 - 3-12-2020 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I've been buying the Sh*t out'a ammo, food stuffs and booze,,, so all is well !!!

since you are over 65, there is 25% probability you will be hospitalized after you come down with corona virus :o:o After the ambulance takes you from your house, your neighbors will walk right in your house and take all that hoarded ammo, drink all your booze, and eat all your food :o:o

Hook - 3-12-2020 at 09:55 PM

Well, one thing's for sure, AMLO's gonna have to come up with a modified "hug" for the cartels. That simply can't be allowed now........or deaths might result. :smug:

paranewbi - 3-13-2020 at 10:07 AM

Went out to Yuma for a couple of days...probably ground central for the over 65 crowd anywhere. No one was hiding out from fear of the virus. Most seemed to be rolling their eyes at the mention of it. Pretty busy everywhere most would congregate.

The only concern for me (65) was that it didn't stop raining enough for the flooded dip at the Arieda gun range. Waited 2 days and gave up.

Baja protocol at home now!

AKgringo - 3-13-2020 at 02:00 PM

I did not go shopping to hoard supplies, but I am almost out of TP. Every store I checked here in Grass Valley, the shelves are bare!

I heat with a wood stove, so a paper bag lined waste basket and paper towels will provide more fire starter. Tear a square will have the added benefit of reduced chance of breakthrough! :smug:

David K - 3-13-2020 at 03:13 PM

Observations Today at 11am, north San Diego County...
I went to Costco to buy gasoline... and the gas lines were normal (87 octane gas down to $2.99!)... but the store line to get into the parking lot went way down the street to Nordahl plus a line to get off the 78 freeway for Costco and Walmart in San Marcos.
I then went to WinCo to get cat sand and it was crazy full with nearly every register open and lines for each. It was crazy the people who had overloaded shopping carts.
Took my wife to lunch at Cocina del Charro (excellent fish tacos today) and all was normal there.

bajabuddha - 3-13-2020 at 03:48 PM

At happy hour I think i'll have a ''quarantini''. it's a regular martini, but I'll drink it at home, alone. :bounce:

Also, the reason for the runs (pun intended) on toilet paper; one person sneezes and ten more chit themselves. :O

mtgoat666 - 3-13-2020 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Went out to Yuma for a couple of days...probably ground central for the over 65 crowd anywhere. No one was hiding out from fear of the virus. Most seemed to be rolling their eyes at the mention of it. Pretty busy everywhere most would congregate.

The only concern for me (65) was that it didn't stop raining...

Statistics don’t lie. The rate of pneumonia and death in the 65+ population group is quite high, way worse than any flu in your lifetime.

This was in NYMag today:

In a study that has not yet been peer-reviewed, researchers at the University of Bern in Switzerland used data from the Chinese Center for Disease Control to determine that mortality rates among those infected in January and February in Hubei province shot up with each decade:

Age Group — Mortality Rate

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Paranewbi, mortality rate in your age group is 1 in 20 :o

LancairDriver - 3-13-2020 at 05:52 PM

Hmmm...Any reports in from Chuckie from the Kansas Prairies? I look forward to his interesting input on the current events.

March 12; first presumptive case discovered in Anchorage!

AKgringo - 3-13-2020 at 07:36 PM

A foreign nation developed symptoms after arriving in Anchorage! Considering that Anchorage is a major air crossroad, I am surprised that is not wide spread there by now.

There are two passenger terminals there, one for travel to or from Alaska, and another international terminal for those on their way somewhere else. If you fly from Beijing to Mexico City, you would probably pass through Anchorage!

In addition to the passenger terminal, there is a duty free shop, maintenance and fueling facilities, crew changes and other services provided to aircraft from all over!

And then there is the air cargo hub that is second only to Atlanta in tonnage, and flights through a US airport. I am amazed that the virus did not get established there early in the process!

Ateo - 3-13-2020 at 07:38 PM

Hey DK,

Glad Cocina del Charro was good. I know a few servers there who were told to go home today due to no customers. And all their banquets were cancelled for the weekend.

My kids are out for three weeks. My wife is off for three weeks. We are all gonna wanna kill each other soon.

Just kidding about that! But serious about Cocina.

Hope all is well with you!

Jon

4x4abc - 3-13-2020 at 08:26 PM

Corona has arrived in BCS
2 suspects in Los Cabos
2 previous suspects have tested negative

JZ - 3-13-2020 at 09:03 PM

Corona in the US:
1523 cases reported - 40 deaths
40 deaths mean that 18 days ago 4,000 people were infected (1% death rate)
the number of infected doubles every 6 days
so 4,000 infected from 18 days ago have ballooned to 32,000 infected today (and not 1523 as officially reported).

if we can not slow the infection rate that number will explode to 500,000 in one month

no need to panic, as most of us will not die. Many will though.
Stay away from others and wash your hands religiously

sorry for my previously bad math

[Edited on 3-13-2020 by 4x4abc]

Almost 50% of the 40 deaths were from it hitting a single senior citizens center in Seattle.

[Edited on 3-14-2020 by JZ]

JZ - 3-13-2020 at 09:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Here in the USA the whole country is shutting. Commute traffic is disappearing. People are canceling travel. In some cities the populace is going into hibernation/quarantine. Ports like LA are almost ghost towns.

This will be very, very, very bad for the economy. People will stop spending on so many things, all businesses will see negative sales.

The economy is flocked!

I see recession coming,...

Wonder how long it will take to recover?

Trumps a fool, but this will not impact us more than 3-5 months.

The key is slowing the wave of outbreaks until the country can ramp up capacities. Trump delayed his response, but he's on it now.

Buy stocks next week and you will retire earlier than you had planned.

[Edited on 3-14-2020 by JZ]

Maderita - 3-13-2020 at 10:43 PM

I've been expecting that Trump might close the USA-Mexico border any day. It hadn't occurred to me that Mexico might shut the borders.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8110163/Mexico-want...

paranewbi - 3-14-2020 at 04:50 AM

Corona has arrived in BCS
2 suspects in Los Cabos
2 previous suspects have tested negative

Volaris is having an 80% off sale to some destinations...La Paz is under $100 round trip. We're coming to get you.

On other news...my surf buddy took her 3 year old to the dentist for a check up yesterday. While in the waiting room her offspring coughed, once. The staff at the desk immediately questioned her as to if her daughter was sick? She informed them it was a simple single cough.

She turned to her daughter and whispered a request for her to not cough anymore...the tyrant looked her mother in the eyes and made three short playful fake hacking sounds in response.

The staff STOOD UP from behind the counter and told mom she would have to leave the premises and they would reschedule her appointment!

The slow tortuous death from raising a 3 year old is much greater than anything a virus will do to you.

paranewbi - 3-14-2020 at 05:08 AM

The only concern for me (65) was that it didn't stop raining...

Statistics don’t lie. The rate of pneumonia and death in the 65+ population group is quite high, way worse than any flu in your lifetime.

This was in NYMag today:

In a study that has not yet been peer-reviewed, researchers at the University of Bern in Switzerland used data from the Chinese Center for Disease Control to determine that mortality rates among those infected in January and February in Hubei province shot up with each decade:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

Sorry goat. I just don't sit in the dark recesses of my mind and fear dying that much. Having fought 3 different kinds of Cancer... still hiding out in my body somewhere and a heart stint recently installed, I would find dying from the sniffles a rather merciful way to go.

Above and beyond that; A life lived in the greatest country in the world with all the benefits of that, having allowed me to travel, surf, love uninhibitedly, absorb mass communication with great liberty, and not fearing one moment within or without my home... I'm not going to start whining now.

How arrogant of us to sit in our wealth with a form of government that has still allowed us to progress even with leadership we may not agree with, or a 'inconvenience' to our well-being awash in resources that await outside our doors. When I know you (and I) have driven past those small earthen hovels, where those with much less have dwelt for generations, in the expanse of a desert fractured by asphalt roads laid for our comfort.

Rant over.

mtgoat666 - 3-14-2020 at 08:10 AM

This was in NYMag today:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

Sorry goat. I just don't sit in the dark recesses of my mind and fear dying that much. Having fought 3 different kinds of Cancer... still hiding out in my body somewhere and a heart stint recently installed, I would find dying from the sniffles a rather merciful way to go.

The people are not dying from the ”sniffles.” I think it is mostly complications like pneumonia.
Pneumonia ain’t a pleasant way to die...

Paranewbi, Sounds like you are in poor health, and would be wise to hide in a bunker until mike pence has prayed-up a vaccine :light:

mtgoat666 - 3-14-2020 at 08:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The slow tortuous death from raising a 3 year old is much greater than anything a virus will do to you.

This should be on a bronze plaque somewhere! :light::lol::lol:

I think raising 3-year-olds is more fun that tolerating 65-year-old curmudgeons,... kids are always more fun than adults,... at least, that has been my experience...

chuckie - 3-14-2020 at 09:32 AM

Kansas Prairies? No panics here....Five cases reported in North Platte Ne, Closed down our trap shooting activities...Grocery still well stocked..

paranewbi - 3-14-2020 at 09:44 AM

This was in NYMag today:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

The people are not dying from the ”sniffles.” I think it is mostly complications like pneumonia.

Paranewbi, Sounds like you are in poor health, and would be wise to hide in a bunker until mike pence has prayed-up a vaccine :light:

Nope Goat... their dying from per-existing conditions.
And I don't think you have any idea what wisdom is.
The challenges (overcome) in my life has caused me to resolve to hide from nothing... 3 doctors have told me that's why I'm alive.

paranewbi - 3-14-2020 at 09:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

This should be on a bronze plaque somewhere! :light::lol::lol:

I think raising 3-year-olds is more fun that tolerating 65-year-old curmudgeons,... kids are always more fun than adults,... at least, that has been my experience...

So you finally found someone who looks up to you?

grizzlyfsh95 - 3-14-2020 at 11:01 AM

This was in NYMag today:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

Goat, you really are an acid tonged little snowflake aren't you. So much hate. I must suck to be you.

chippy - 3-14-2020 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95  

This was in NYMag today:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

Goat, you really are an acid tonged little snowflake aren't you. So much hate. I must suck to be you.

So are you the goat?:?:lol:

LancairDriver - 3-14-2020 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Kansas Prairies? No panics here....Five cases reported in North Platte Ne, Closed down our trap shooting activities...Grocery still well stocked..

Thanks for the update. I figured that part of the country is more inclined to common sense and not inclined to panic.

pauldavidmena - 3-14-2020 at 03:14 PM

Cape Cod, normally very sleepy during the off-season, reported its first positive Covid-19 test today, at a nursing home in Hyannis. Panicked shoppers have emptied supermarkets of toilet paper, but the liquor store shelves are fully stocked, and the local fish store had some beautiful Atlantic swordfish that we plan to grill tonight. My wife owns her own business and has worked from home since 1996. I work for a non-profit (https://www.whoi.edu/) that has told everyone who could work from home to do so, and who am I to refuse? Crocuses have started to bloom. Life is good.

mtgoat666 - 3-14-2020 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by grizzlyfsh95  

This was in NYMag today:

0-9 — <.01 percent
10-19 — .02 percent
20-29 — .09 percent
30-39 — .18 percent
40-49 — .40 percent
50-59 — 1.3 percent
60-69 — 4.6 percent
70-79 — 9.8 percent
80 & up — 18 percent

Goat, you really are an acid tonged little snowflake aren't you.

My saliva is neutral pH. I'm hot, snowflakes melt when they touch me :lol::lol::lol:

Lee - 3-14-2020 at 07:04 PM

For those living in scarcity and fear, continue to believe everything you read in the media.

For those who believe in perspective, this is for you.

https://www.thejuicemedia.com/honest-government-ad-coronavir...

Hook - 3-14-2020 at 08:10 PM

Baby boomers will remember persons making shelters, in case the Russians pushed the button down.

This generation has a much different type of shelter.

IMG-20200313-WA0016.jpg - 57kB

4x4abc - 3-14-2020 at 09:00 PM

thank you, Lee!

chuckie - 3-15-2020 at 03:05 AM

Pretty funny....I know of people who are having TP Fedexed to their homes..They must be related to JZ if they cant figure out a substitute material....HELPLESS.....

elgatoloco - 3-15-2020 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
For those living in scarcity and fear, continue to believe everything you read in the media.

NAILED IT!

pauldavidmena - 3-15-2020 at 11:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Thank you, Lee! I've bookmarked the Juicemedia website and have shared this particular ad on social media. Who knows? Maybe it will "go viral"...

BajaTed - 3-15-2020 at 11:30 AM

If everybody does their part to "flatten the curve" the hospitals will not be overwhelmed.

But since this country ain't being led normally but deplorably at this moment in time, i'm not very hopeful.

mtgoat666 - 3-15-2020 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
If everybody does their part to "flatten the curve" the hospitals will not be overwhelmed.

But since this country ain't being led normally but deplorably at this moment in time, i'm not very hopeful.

Mike pence will pray for us all (well, all except the queers). He will pray the disease away! :no:

paranewbi - 3-16-2020 at 04:07 AM

Actually Goat, we pray for all. You probably wouldn't know that because of your personal disdain as you exhibit in your word choice for labeling others.

And just to enlighten you somewhat... we don't pray for others to change; we pray for them to realize the existence of a loving God who wants a relationship with them. Change, if any, comes about because of that relationship.

Much like the change most men go through with acquiescing to their wives as love grows.

Mike Pence is in a relationship with a God who loves...It was shocking to the Hebrews who were surrounded by gods that looked upon men as a nuisance. Here was a God that sought them out of love. No other 'god' wanted a relationship with all. That is still the same today...you seem to worship one of those. We call that the self.

pacificobob - 3-16-2020 at 08:27 AM

Actually Goat, we pray for all. You probably wouldn't know that because of your personal disdain as you exhibit in your word choice for labeling others.

And just to enlighten you somewhat... we don't pray for others to change; we pray for them to realize the existence of a loving God who wants a relationship with them. Change, if any, comes about because of that relationship.

Much like the change most men go through with acquiescing to their wives as love grows.

Mike Pence is in a relationship with a God who loves...It was shocking to the Hebrews who were surrounded by gods that looked upon men as a nuisance. Here was a God that sought them out of love. No other 'god' wanted a relationship with all. That is still the same today...you seem to worship one of those. We call that the self.

Which of the 3000 gods man has invented are you referring to? #hook,line and sinker

mtgoat666 - 3-16-2020 at 08:39 AM

A bunch of fairy tales.
Glad they make you feel good, but they got no role in government or public policy.

paranewbi - 3-16-2020 at 12:06 PM

A bunch of fairy tales.
Glad they make you feel good, but they got no role in government or public policy.

Ask the men who formed this nation :O

Bajazly - 3-16-2020 at 11:47 PM

This is a couple days old but pretty good info, written well and straight forward.

https://www.howardluksmd.com/sports-medicine/covid-19-update...

mtgoat666 - 3-17-2020 at 12:10 AM

A bunch of fairy tales.

You mean those pious religious men who practiced slavery and considered women non-citizens unworthy of voting in their democracy?

I am sure that they used religion to justify their wrongs :no::no::no::no:

paranewbi - 3-17-2020 at 03:14 AM

A bunch of fairy tales.

You mean those pious religious men who practiced slavery and considered women non-citizens unworthy of voting in their democracy?

I am sure that they used religion to justify their wrongs :no::no::no::no:

Product of a public education Goat?
The three 'r's weren't reading, writing and arithmetic either. But I'm sure you think r, w, a, are all r's.

Your terminology 'queers' is insight into your pompous self imaging.

Those men also set up the foundation of Liberty and Justice... those building blocks still hold up the reason you still can espouse your inner prejudices exposed in your words.

bajabuddha - 3-17-2020 at 05:05 PM

Meanwhilst, Goathead and Bishop Paranewbi doth joust at the pulpit!

Talley Ho! :lol:

chippy - 3-17-2020 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
https://v.groupme.com/29302243/2020-03-16T05:07:11Z/8c65d34....

This aussie vid sums it up pretty well.

Yup, pretty entertaining chippy! That's probably why Lee posted it earlier in this thread!

OOps. Sorry.

Lee - 3-17-2020 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
https://v.groupme.com/29302243/2020-03-16T05:07:11Z/8c65d34....

This aussie vid sums it up pretty well.

Yup, pretty entertaining chippy! That's probably why Lee posted it earlier in this thread!

OOps. Sorry.

Hey, like minds and all that. Vid is worth mentioning again.

My current favorite words about the current clusterf*ck:

shlt show, and, egregious dumbf*ckery.

Skipjack Joe - 3-18-2020 at 04:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
I figured that part of the country is more inclined to common sense and not inclined to panic.

And a big plus, out there they have plenty of corncobs as a fallback.

... which work well in lieu of toilet paper.

What is being done to find an effective treatment?

Skipjack Joe - 3-18-2020 at 04:32 AM

Vaccines and treatment options for COVID-19 are currently being investigated around the world. There’s some evidence that certain medications may have the potential to be effective with regard to preventing illness or treating the symptoms of COVID-19.

However, researchers need to perform randomized controlled trialsTrusted Source in humans before potential vaccines and other treatments become available. This may take several months or longer.

Here are some treatment options that are currently being investigated for protection against SARS-CoV-2 and treatment of COVID-19 symptoms.

Remdesivir

Remdesivir is an experimental broad-spectrum antiviral drug originally designed to target Ebola.

Researchers have found that remdesivir is highly effective at fighting the novel coronavirus in isolated cellsTrusted Source.

This treatment is not yet approved in humans, but two clinical trials for this drug have been implemented in China. One clinical trial was recently also approved by the FDA in the United States.

Chloroquine

Chloroquine is a drug that’s used to fight malaria and autoimmune diseases. It’s been in use for more than 70 yearsTrusted Source and is considered safe.

Researchers have discovered that this drug is effective at fighting the SARS-CoV-2 virus in studies done in test tubes.

At least 10 clinical trialsTrusted Source are currently looking at the potential use of chloroquine as an option for combating the novel coronavirus.

Lopinavir and ritonavir

Lopinavir and ritonavir are sold under the name Kaletra and are designed to treat HIV.

In South Korea, a 54-year-old man was given a combination of these two drugs and had a significant reductionTrusted Source in his levels of the coronavirus.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there could be benefits to using Kaletra in combination with other drugs.

APN01

A clinical trial is set to start soon in China to examine the potential of a drug called APN01 to fight the novel coronavirus.

The scientists who first developed APN01 in the early 2000s discovered that a certain protein called ACE2 is involved in SARS infections. This protein also helped protect the lungs from injury due to respiratory distress.

From recent research, it turns out that the 2019 coronavirus, like SARS, also uses the ACE2 protein to infect cells in humans.

The randomized, dual-arm trial will look at the effect of the medication on 24 patients for 1 week. Half of the participants in the trial will receive the APN01 drug, and the other half will be given a placebo. If results are encouraging, larger clinical trials will be done.

Favilavir

China has approved the use of the antiviral drug favilavir to treat symptoms of COVID-19. The drug was initially developed to treat inflammation in the nose and throat.

Although the results of the study haven’t been released yet, the drug has supposedly shown to be effective in treating COVID-19 symptoms in a clinical trial of 70 people.

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2020 at 06:49 AM

Where would you rather have pneumonia from covid-19, in USA or Mexico?
Does baja med system have sufficient respirators to handle increase in patients from epidemic?
Is baja govt working to flatten the curve?

pauldavidmena - 3-18-2020 at 12:43 PM

I saw this in yesterday's Gringo Gazette:

I'm not sure if this is 1) not accurate, 2) a by-product of insufficient testing, or 3) a stroke of luck.

A tacky bit of 1970s humor

AKgringo - 3-18-2020 at 01:12 PM

Firesign Theatre; Beat the Reaper!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3zZ_ih0Jpc

motoged - 3-18-2020 at 01:19 PM

Igor,
Science busy at work....the kids that were teased as nerds in school might save us all.

Medication news on another note:
ED issues for men have a new hope. Two new medications currently under trials are Mydixadud and Mycoxafloppin.

;)

They are looking for more men for the drug study.... I thought of a few here who might be interested.

:coolup:

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Vaccines and treatment options for COVID-19 are currently being investigated around the world. There’s some evidence that certain medications may have the potential to be effective with regard to preventing illness or treating the symptoms of COVID-19.

However, researchers need to perform randomized controlled trialsTrusted Source in humans before potential vaccines and other treatments become available. This may take several months or longer.

Here are some treatment options that are currently being investigated for protection against SARS-CoV-2 and treatment of COVID-19 symptoms.

Remdesivir

Remdesivir is an experimental broad-spectrum antiviral drug originally designed to target Ebola.

Researchers have found that remdesivir is highly effective at fighting the novel coronavirus in isolated cellsTrusted Source.

This treatment is not yet approved in humans, but two clinical trials for this drug have been implemented in China. One clinical trial was recently also approved by the FDA in the United States.

Chloroquine

Chloroquine is a drug that’s used to fight malaria and autoimmune diseases. It’s been in use for more than 70 yearsTrusted Source and is considered safe.

Researchers have discovered that this drug is effective at fighting the SARS-CoV-2 virus in studies done in test tubes.

At least 10 clinical trialsTrusted Source are currently looking at the potential use of chloroquine as an option for combating the novel coronavirus.

Lopinavir and ritonavir

Lopinavir and ritonavir are sold under the name Kaletra and are designed to treat HIV.

In South Korea, a 54-year-old man was given a combination of these two drugs and had a significant reductionTrusted Source in his levels of the coronavirus.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there could be benefits to using Kaletra in combination with other drugs.

APN01

A clinical trial is set to start soon in China to examine the potential of a drug called APN01 to fight the novel coronavirus.

The scientists who first developed APN01 in the early 2000s discovered that a certain protein called ACE2 is involved in SARS infections. This protein also helped protect the lungs from injury due to respiratory distress.

From recent research, it turns out that the 2019 coronavirus, like SARS, also uses the ACE2 protein to infect cells in humans.

The randomized, dual-arm trial will look at the effect of the medication on 24 patients for 1 week. Half of the participants in the trial will receive the APN01 drug, and the other half will be given a placebo. If results are encouraging, larger clinical trials will be done.

Favilavir

China has approved the use of the antiviral drug favilavir to treat symptoms of COVID-19. The drug was initially developed to treat inflammation in the nose and throat.

Although the results of the study haven’t been released yet, the drug has supposedly shown to be effective in treating COVID-19 symptoms in a clinical trial of 70 people.

thebajarunner - 3-18-2020 at 02:00 PM

Cloroquine- interesting notion

I have traveled a lot in malaria prone countries
Early on we always took this as a prophylactic
But some years back we were advised to refrain...
Seems that its main function was to mask symptoms which led to worse results when the disease manifested itself.

Not sure that I would want to try something that just hid the symptoms and delayed treatment for the real thing...

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2020 at 03:22 PM

I watched a Mexican channel yesterday that showed very ill folks being turned away from hospitals, somewhere on the mainland. They were not happy, not one little bit.

My Mom, who is in Brazil and in her 80's, was advised by her doc to get a pneumonia vaccine, which she did. Les says he got one last year and was told it was good for his lifetime. I don't remember getting mine.

Pages:  1