BajaNomad

San Ysidro Border Crossing - Questions

ARDLMD - 3-11-2020 at 01:49 PM

Hi again, I just wanted to say thank you to all you fine folks on Baja Nomad for the advice and recommendations you have given us.

We are getting ready for our trip from Vegas to Los Cabos. I have a border crossing question.
I am planning to cross at San Ysidro. I was told to take the toll road to Ensenada - is the toll road route 1 or 3? Curious if this is the correct crossing for the toll road? Any help/recommendations you can give me would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you
Andy

del mar - 3-11-2020 at 01:58 PM

Toll road is the 1D, free road is the 1....be prepared for a volley of maps and folks telling you not to go that way! have a great trip!

[Edited on 3-11-2020 by del mar]

ARDLMD - 3-11-2020 at 02:11 PM

Thank you!!!

Bajazly - 3-11-2020 at 02:13 PM

Or you could take The 1 to The 3, or go out The 2, to The 5 and then back to The 1 and head south to Cabo from there.

From the Port of Entry to 1D

John M - 3-11-2020 at 02:22 PM

Mexico port of entry is at the bottom. All vehicles exit toward the right and you would want to be in the far right, following the yellow route, on a bridge over the 'river' - then along the border fence for several miles. Keep an eye for signage 1D

David K - 3-11-2020 at 04:36 PM

[Edited on 3-11-2020 by David K]

RocketJSquirrel - 3-11-2020 at 04:57 PM

Once on the road on John D's map (above) there is really only one junction - if in doubt always stay to the right and follow all signs to Ensenada (cuota). While it seems a confusing mess, it's actually pretty easy.

When you hit the first toll booth you'll know you are through the mess and on your way.

From there to Cabo, well, there's really only one major road until La Paz.