BajaNomad

TIP on car--can I cancel it here in Baja Sur?

Entrada1270 - 3-15-2020 at 02:44 PM

We drove across the border into the mainland, and got a TIP in October. We crossed into Baja on the ferry, then flew back to the US for Christmas, leaving our car at the airport. So, in a nutshell, the TIP expires two months before our FMM. Does anyone know how we can cancel the TIP without driving to the border? Banjercito is not answering our emails or our calls. Thanks in advance.

KasloKid - 3-15-2020 at 03:18 PM

There is a Banjercito at the ferry terminal (Pichilingue) in La Paz. You should be able to cancel it there.
The registered owner of the vehicle has to be physically present to return the TIP.
If you used a credit card for the deposit, you'll have to have the same credit card for reimbursement.

[Edited on 3-15-2020 by KasloKid]

dtbushpilot - 3-15-2020 at 04:08 PM

We tried to do the same thing a few years back. They wouldn't do it in La Paz, said it had to be done at the border. It could be different now, try calling them on Tuesday, Monday is a holiday.

Hook - 3-15-2020 at 07:03 PM

I believe it must be returned at a designated Aduana station near the border.

Even if you do end up eating the bond amount, be sure and turn the TIP in, when you can. Otherwise, you might not be issued another one.

Entrada1270 - 3-16-2020 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. So, if we are two months late in returning the TIP, what is the worst that can happen? We are almost willing to give up the deposit but don't want anything worse.

Hook - 3-16-2020 at 03:39 PM

I believe you just give up the deposit and are not eligible for another one until you return the original sticker on the car.

karenintx - 3-16-2020 at 06:09 PM

We have had an expired TIP on our windshield since June 2008. At that time (a few months prior to June 2008) we did not have to pay a deposit so we did not have to worry about losing any money/deposit.

We have South Dakota license plates and we have never had a problem with anyone or any law enforcement officers. If we ever go back to the border with the car that is when we will have "them" remove the expired TIP.

I do keep a copies of all the TIP paperwork in our glove compartment along with copies of our R/Ps and a copy of a CFE bill...just in case we have to prove something to someone.

It is my understanding that before we could get an other TIP we would have to surrender the expired TIP. Since we stay in BCS there is no reason to want a 2nd TIP.

Entrada1270 - 3-17-2020 at 01:25 PM

Thanks again, good info.