BajaNomad

Canada border closing announced

thebajarunner - 3-16-2020 at 01:32 PM

Citizens of Canada and US are exempt

But anyone crossing must self-quarantine for 14 days.

Sounds like a great place to avoid...

Can Mexico be far behind?

Hook - 3-16-2020 at 03:38 PM

Kinda short on details.....like direction of travel. Or maybe the source.

Source? Trudeau on the afternoon news

thebajarunner - 3-16-2020 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Details?
Google it, it is all over the web

Hook - 3-16-2020 at 04:37 PM

Just scanned the Top Stories in Google News. Nothing in any headline.

Can you give us just a hint? Huh??

Hook - 3-16-2020 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Details?
Google it, it is all over the web

Maybe it's all over the web if you're in Canada.

I'll tell you one thing. Canadians left San Carlos IN A HURRY in the last three days.

Hook - 3-16-2020 at 04:51 PM

Found it on the National Observer. Americans allowed "at this time."

surabi - 3-16-2020 at 10:56 PM

Canadians citizens, legal residents, and US citizens,as well as some essential personnel, like airline pilots, etc. allowed in, no one else.

"All over the web" means all over the web. There isn't a separate web for Canada. Google it. If you don't know how to search Google, that's your problem.

mtgoat666 - 3-16-2020 at 11:54 PM

At some point the Mexico-USA border will be closed. Don’t know when conditions will prompt this. But with the USA sheltering in place, and economy oin depths of a recession (Biden sure to win btw), there is much lower trade across the border, so won’t be a big deal to close border for a while.
Heck, countries in EU are closing their borders,... I expect the effort to flatten the curve will see USA doing same as eu countries, total clampdown

JZ - 3-17-2020 at 12:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
At some point the Mexico-USA border will be closed. Don’t know when conditions will prompt this. But with the USA sheltering in place, and economy oin depths of a recession (Biden sure to win btw), there is much lower trade across the border, so won’t be a big deal to close border for a while.
Heck, countries in EU are closing their borders,... I expect the effort to flatten the curve will see USA doing same as eu countries, total clampdown

I'll take that bet for $5K. You game? We'll put the money in escrow.

I'll give you until the end of September for it to happen.

If you don't take the bet, don't ever talk in the subject again, ok?

paranewbi - 3-17-2020 at 03:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Well Goat?

As well I'm jumping on stocks. This is a historical opportunity for the small guy to jump in the poker game with the big ones. This is not like other great crashes...when this let's up (about the time the water warms up for summer waves) the pent up desire to work, spend and invest is going to explode.

John Harper - 3-17-2020 at 05:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I'm jumping on stocks. This is a historical opportunity for the small guy to jump in the poker game with the big ones. This is not like other great crashes...when this let's up (about the time the water warms up for summer waves) the pent up desire to work, spend and invest is going to explode.

What did you have your investments in before this slide? Stocks were the only asset producing any rates of return, compared to bonds and government securities. You are relatively young, not much chance you were heavy into fixed return assets or government paper. You surely didn't keep large amounts of cash sitting in your bank account, did you? Maybe a winner of the "lucky genes" contest and have a large trust fund to play with? I have a couple friends in that position, not me.

How much cash does someone in your position (paralegal?) keep on hand to "jump on stocks?" If you have real estate investments, they aren't the most liquid, unless you're borrowing against them to play the stock market. Not the wisest strategy putting eggs in your basket at further risk, IMO.

Or, are you just blowing smoke?

Just interested, as a fellow private investor. BTW, I do have an MBA in Finance, and previously held a Series 7 license. My portfolio has only dropped about half what the market has, which I feel is pretty decent compared to what I see around. I'm just holding tight, this hasn't bottomed out yet. I just re balanced my portfolio in December to a less risky position, glad that I did. I currently have about 10-12 months living expenses in my bank account. That is not money I "jump on stocks" with. Especially right now, the worst is yet to come, IMO.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2020 by John Harper]

ehall - 3-17-2020 at 05:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I'm jumping on stocks. This is a historical opportunity for the small guy to jump in the poker game with the big ones. This is not like other great crashes...when this let's up (about the time the water warms up for summer waves) the pent up desire to work, spend and invest is going to explode.

What did you have your investments in before this slide? Stocks were the only asset producing any rates of return, compared to bonds and government securities. You are relatively young, not much chance you were heavy into fixed return assets or government paper. You surely didn't keep large amounts sitting in your bank account, did you?

How much cash does someone in your position (paralegal?) keep on hand to "jump on stocks?" If you have real estate investments, they aren't the most liquid, unless you're borrowing against them to play the stock market. Not the wisest strategy putting eggs in your basket at further risk, IMO.

Or, are you just blowing smoke?

Just interested, as a fellow private investor. BTW, I do have an MBA in Finance, and previously held a Series 7 license. My portfolio has only dropped about half what the market has, which I feel is pretty decent compared to what I see around. I'm just holding tight, this hasn't bottomed out yet. I just re balanced my portfolio in December to a less risky position, glad that I did.

John

Exactly. If only I had a bunch of cash on hand.

motoged - 3-17-2020 at 12:34 PM

[

I didn't see anyone offering a bet, aside from yours. If you are wrong, will you button your lip?

John Harper - 3-17-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

I didn't see anyone offering a bet, aside from yours. If you are wrong, will you button your lip?

It's JZ's "no class" way to intimidate someone with money. Remember Mitt Romney and his $10,000 bet? Yeah, it made him look like an ass as well. I expected better of JZ. Especially with so many out of work, or soon to be.

John

[Edited on 3-17-2020 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 3-17-2020 at 01:27 PM

i decline your bet, and i will continue to repeat myself as long as i please, as it is my god-given right as a 'merican!

[Edited on 3-17-2020 by mtgoat666]

pauldavidmena - 3-17-2020 at 01:40 PM

At this point I think there are multiple news outlets reporting this, but I found this article from Forbes magazine that covers the salient details.

JZ - 3-17-2020 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

It's JZ's "no class" way to intimidate someone with money. Remember Mitt Romney and his $10,000 bet? Yeah, it made him look like an ass as well. I expected better of JZ. Especially with so many out of work, or soon to be.

John

It was more of an attempt to stop him from spewing his nonsense, something he knows isn't true, but is doing it to scare people.

Hook - 3-17-2020 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Canadians citizens, legal residents, and US citizens,as well as some essential personnel, like airline pilots, etc. allowed in, no one else.

"All over the web" means all over the web. There isn't a separate web for Canada. Google it. If you don't know how to search Google, that's your problem.

Six hours later from when I was inquiring, the situation changed.

Pardon me for asking the OP to provide more details. Is it really to much effort to perform a simple cut and paste, if you post something you deem so important?

Even though it has very little to do with Baja.............. :lol:

Most Every A.S.S. (here, there and elsewhere) has an Opinion ................

MrBillM - 3-17-2020 at 03:10 PM

But, as the last week has shown, those opinions are based on nothing more than wishes, hopes and delusions.

ANYBODY who ventures what it may be like a day from now, much less any longer period, is F.O.S.

NOBODY KNOWS.

John Harper - 3-17-2020 at 03:52 PM

It was more of an attempt to stop him from spewing his nonsense, something he knows isn't true, but is doing it to scare people.

I understand. He does have a way of getting under people's skin. So do a lot of us, myself included. It's a gift.

Take care and keep your family safe, there's lots of empty trails ahead.

John

Hook - 3-17-2020 at 08:35 PM

Nonessential border crossings to be halted, including vacationing. See my other post.

Goat wasnt so off base, it seems.

Details coming, according to Fox and NY Times.

Alm - 3-18-2020 at 03:56 PM

Nonessential border crossings to be halted, including vacationing.

That's correct.
"Canada and the United States have agreed to restrict non-essential travel across the border":
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-deal-1.550...

Workers, foreign students and some other categories are allowed. Returning Canadians too. The article is Canadian and it writes more about Canada, but I would "think" it will be the same for American citizens - they may return home to the US if they happen to be in Canada now. Subject to screening at the border, to quarantine sick people before letting them in. Airlines may deny boarding of such a returning person upon screening. It doesn't sound like outbound trips for citizens of either country will be allowed.

Btw, Canadian statistics for the last several weeks: 75% of new cases are travelers, and 10% are those in close contact with incoming traveler. Should've come with this measure a month ago.