BajaNomad

Crossed northbound today

Howard - 3-17-2020 at 04:13 PM

Crossed in the regular lane today at San Ysidro around noon. Total wait time was 1 hour, not bad. I got waived right through but it seemed like they were being a little more diligent with other cars. The lineup started about 100 meters after the shops.

Drove up near to LAX and never had to slow down, open the whole way. For whatever reason everyone was driving about 5 mph than normal. When I was going 74-75 mph in the fast lane I had a line up behind me.

Bajaboy - 3-17-2020 at 05:51 PM

crossed at CBX today...only person

Paco Facullo - 3-17-2020 at 05:53 PM

There's always a silver lining somewhere....

John Harper - 3-17-2020 at 06:06 PM

Great news, I heard they closed 6 lanes at SY for some kind of barrier/lane upgrade.

John

del mar - 3-17-2020 at 06:21 PM

all psyched up for a northbound crossing and VA just called......all appt's cancelled until the middle of May:(. can't confirm but story's of 3 hour pedestrian line at Otay, folks flying into tijuana to get into U.S.?

mtgoat666 - 3-17-2020 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
all psyched up for a northbound crossing and VA just called......all appt's cancelled until the middle of May:(. can't confirm but story's of 3 hour pedestrian line at Otay, folks flying into tijuana to get into U.S.?

People all over the world are trying to get home before the clampdown...

The chit storm is a comin’

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2020 at 03:33 AM

The only person at CBX? Lanes clear all the way to LA? Wow.

Howard - 3-18-2020 at 06:46 AM

The 405 wasn't a ghost town, there were lots of cars but not enough traffic to cause any delays or slowdowns.

Fast food restaurants were open and I was hungry so I stopped at one, just a couple of cars in front of me with a young and cheerful window cashier. I tipped her (Never thought about tipping a window attendant before) and she seemed very surprised like no one has ever done that before. It actually made my day and made me feel good as she was risking herself to Covid and should be rewarded for doing so. Funny how we have become a heavy tipping society but never heard of the minimum wage worker at the window ever given tips.

paranewbi - 3-18-2020 at 10:28 AM

Went for a Breakfast burrito this morn and left a good tip.

I've been told several times at the larger fast-food operations that their not allowed to accept tips; Wendy's, El Pollo Loco, McD's. Never seen a taco shop that refused them!

Well, at least we learned one thing

thebajarunner - 3-18-2020 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Crossed in the regular lane today at San Ysidro around noon. Total wait time was 1 hour, not bad. I got waived right through but it seemed like they were being a little more diligent with other cars. The lineup started about 100 meters after the shops.

Drove up near to LAX and never had to slow down, open the whole way. For whatever reason everyone was driving about 5 mph than normal. When I was going 74-75 mph in the fast lane I had a line up behind me.

Not sure what else has been learned on this board, but at least now we know the identity of the knucklehead that insists on driving in the "fast" lane, while a parade of cars queues up behind.

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2020 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Not sure what else has been learned on this board, but at least now we know the identity of the knucklehead that insists on driving in the "fast" lane, while a parade of cars queues up behind.

howard is one of those guys... we all want to strangle :fire: :lol::lol::lol:

Don Pisto - 3-18-2020 at 03:00 PM

I get scared going that fast.....:(

Howard - 3-18-2020 at 03:06 PM

For you pathetic sad people who have nothing better to do than spew negative mindless drivel on the Internet, as soon as I saw the line up I pulled into another lane.

If I knew it was one of you I would of slowed down.

David Nuevo - 3-18-2020 at 08:58 PM

I might as well jump in: It's would've

GRAMMAR POLICE.jpg - 82kB

motoged - 3-19-2020 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Speaking of Speaking .............

MrBillM - 3-19-2020 at 09:45 AM

The increased frequency of Fed, State and Local televised briefings/press conferences has led to a VIRAL increase in the use of "Dais" and "Podium" to refer to the "LECTERN."

C'mon. Let's get it RIGHT !

Howard - 3-19-2020 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David Nuevo  

Directly from an English professor from a well known university when I proposed the same question:

You’re asking the grammEr expert? Here’s my best shot. My thinking here is that “was” stays “was” and isn’t “were” because what is conditional is the knowing, not the being. And “would of” is (always?) wrong.

Had I known it was one of you, I would have slowed down.

So we were all wrong. I might of even worded all of this incorrectly.

AKgringo - 3-19-2020 at 11:49 AM

Howard, I apologize for being on your tail. I did not want to be that close, but in my little Kia with oversized tires, drafting is almost the only way I can maintain that speed.

After you moved over, the guy behind me locked bumpers and pushed me for a while until I pulled into pit row!

I hate driving in southern California! :o

[Edited on 3-19-2020 by AKgringo]

elgatoloco - 3-19-2020 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Howard, I apologize for being on your tail. I did not want to be that close, but in my little Kia with oversized tires, drafting is almost the only way I can maintain that speed.

After you moved over, the guy behind me locked bumpers and pushed me for a while until I pulled into pit row!

I hate driving in southern California!

:lol:

Re: driving in so cal. Use turn indicators and remember your not asking permission but signalling intent (said the guy in the F-250) and don't forget the 'left lane is for passing only' and 'slow traffic keep right' and you may make it to Bakersfield or San Ysidro unscathed. YMMV.

thebajarunner - 3-19-2020 at 03:32 PM

13 states will ticket you for driving in the left lane if not passing others.

California, the land of laws and regulations, still has not gotten smart enough to enact this legislation.....

But, I find that when the chippie is in the ticket mood he almost always picks the dude in the far left lane. Only exception is the little idiots with the big tail pipes that switch lanes like a slalom racer.

redhilltown - 3-19-2020 at 04:32 PM

Crossed Tuesday at Calexico East and was easy breezy.

David Nuevo - 3-19-2020 at 08:27 PM

High school Biology teacher actually, but the grammar stuff just seems to jump out at me. All in fun, though!

David Nuevo - 3-19-2020 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David Nuevo  

So we were all wrong. I might of even worded all of this incorrectly.

Retired high school Biology teacher, actually... I'm merely a grammar enthusiast. All in fun, though!

BajaBlanca - 3-20-2020 at 03:11 AM

One of my biggest peeves is when there is a spelling mistake on page 388 in a 500 page book!

Those mistakes jump out at me too.

There and their are often used incorrectly: "here" is part of THERE".
That is what I tell my students. So, unless you are talking about location, their is correct.

But I digress. Back to border crossings. Will they let you through, as an American, when you are sick? I ask because here where we are in the middle of Baja Sur (La Bocana), there is NO recourse should we get sick with Corona.

The Mexican president said recently on TV that he would nover, ever close the border to anyone wanting to enter Mexico. He must think other countries are stupid.