BajaNomad

Border restrictions imminent (announcement in next 24 hours) according to Fox and the NY Times

Hook - 3-17-2020 at 07:49 PM

Well, there is leaked information in the last half hour about new regulations at the Mexican and Canadian borders. Both Fox and the NY Times has picked up on it. The sources are from within the Trump Administration, apparently.

Fox is really only highlighting the portion that deals with asylum seekers. No surprise there. They will not be given the opportunity to even apply for asylum. They will be turned away, immediately. The worry is infecting the Border Patrol staff.

The NY Times is reporting this, too.

But the Times has a rather interesting paragraph in their story that might interest those of us in Mexico. Here is how that paragraph reads..........

"In the next 24 hours, one official said, the United States and Canada plan to issue a joint statement saying that they are suspending nonessential travel between the two countries. That would allow trade to continue, but would restrict flights and border crossings for things like vacations."

Interpret that as you see fit. This appears to apply to even legal citizens of the US and Canada.

Are we down here "vacationing"? Or, will coming down here to be in our second homes, be deemed "non-essential"?

Probably depends on how the DHS interprets what we are doing here. Most of us are certainly not here on business.

And the sources, of course............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dhs-reportedly-developing-p...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronav...

[Edited on 3-18-2020 by Hook]

mtgoat666 - 3-17-2020 at 09:35 PM

The NYT says Possible ban of non-essential travel between USA and hoser-land. So, vacationers going to second house would fall in the category of non-essential.

If you are resident of Mexico and get stuck in Mexico, you got to stay there for the duration. Makes sense, Best if people stop traveling and stop spread of disease... until good times return

basautter - 3-18-2020 at 05:26 AM

Well, that is it for my April dirt bike trip....maybe next year. :fire:

Hook - 3-18-2020 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Well, that is it for my April dirt bike trip....maybe next year. :fire:

Let's wait and see. I've seen two different articles that say the announcement will come in 24 or 48 hours.

The bulk of the coverage is on the turning away of asylum seekers and others trying to cross the border illegally.

And while that paragraph specifically talks about restricting nonessential travel between the US and Canada, I cannot imagine that we would restrict it between Canada and not Mexico. But maybe the Trump administration has had no opportunity to negotiate a reciprocal agreement with AMLO yet.

Mexico did announce yesterday that THEY are not going to restrict travel INTO Mexico, from the US. That was from their Federal health minister. The source is a news service that has a paywall, unless you sign up. Mexico News Daily.

Hook - 3-18-2020 at 07:34 AM

It appears that, at this time, the nonessential travel restrictions will affect only travel between the US and Canada.

AKgringo - 3-18-2020 at 08:49 AM

If similar restrictions are placed on the US/Mexico border, I wonder if travel to La Paz for medical reasons will be deemed non-essential?

I have three new implants that need crowns installed on them in another month or so.

[Edited on 3-18-2020 by AKgringo]

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2020 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If similar restrictions are placed on the US/Mexico border, I wonder if travel to La Paz for medical reasons will be deemed non-essential?

I have three new implants that need crowns installed on them in another month or so.

[Edited on 3-18-2020 by AKgringo]

:light: it should be obvious to you: that is not essential :light:

:!: stay home! do your part to stop slow or stop the disease! :!:

AKgringo - 3-18-2020 at 09:36 AM

Well Goat, as a recognized pioneer, and practitioner of "Social Distancing", your words are worth considering! Since the nature of this "Novel" virus has so many unknowns, I will defer any decision about travel until mid May and watch for more developments.

I would sure like to complete the work I have commissioned, with your permission of course!

NO WORRIES !

MrBillM - 3-18-2020 at 02:06 PM

" ........ We're doing GREAT ......... Our country is doing REALLY GREAT ......... "

That came straight from the TOP this a.m.

So, we KNOW that it's true.

On the "Udder" hand, I had read (in the L.A. Times) and Dr. Debby said at the a.m. briefing that there are reports from France and Italy that Millennials are being infected to a greater extent than was thought.

Meanwhile, Ford, GM and Chrysler are shutting down.

It's a strange new day. EACH day.

For me, it was a 50/50 day. Went out for Bread and Milk.

No Bread.

[Edited on 3-18-2020 by MrBillM]

JZ - 3-18-2020 at 02:16 PM

Still planning to go to Loreto in a couple weeks.

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2020 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Public health be damned! JZ has a vacation and nothing will stop JZ from his vacation!

Did you know that Typhoid Mary spent 20+ years in prison?

JZ - 3-18-2020 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Public health be damned! JZ has a vacation and nothing will stop JZ from his vacation!

We'll practice social distancing on a boat on the ocean and around campfires on remote beaches.

Have fun sitting at home.

Bajazly - 3-18-2020 at 05:08 PM

We'll practice social distancing on a boat on the ocean and around campfires on remote beaches.

Unless you're getting on and off a boat somewhere in Southern Cal you will be exposed to and exposing yourself to a lot of people down the peninsula. Maybe for a while we should all have some fun sitting at home until this thing is a little more under control.

caj13 - 3-18-2020 at 06:20 PM

Its going to be Mexicos call whether or not you are allowed into their country

JZ - 3-18-2020 at 07:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Unless you're getting on and off a boat somewhere in Southern Cal you will be exposed to and exposing yourself to a lot of people down the peninsula. Maybe for a while we should all have some fun sitting at home until this thing is a little more under control.

Holy overreaction.

We'll cross the border and be out in the middle of nowhere in a few hours.

Skipjack Joe - 3-18-2020 at 08:09 PM

As I recall reading, Typhoid Mary was not in prison for crimes but quarantined. She would be released once she was cured of the disease and safe in public.

Bajazly - 3-18-2020 at 08:24 PM

Holy overreaction.

We'll cross the border and be out in the middle of nowhere in a few hours.

Ah right, my bad, I forgot Loreto was only a few hours from the border.

JZ - 3-18-2020 at 09:08 PM

Read what I wrote more closely.

[Edited on 3-19-2020 by JZ]

Bajazly - 3-18-2020 at 10:06 PM

You are not out in the middle of nowhere from the border to Loreto, I don't care how spectacular you think you are and can avoid everybody.

You're setting a bad example.

JZ - 3-18-2020 at 10:40 PM

You are not out in the middle of nowhere from the border to Loreto, I don't care how spectacular you think you are and can avoid everybody.

I'll PM you some pics.

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2020 at 11:30 PM

Jizz is a selfish man-child, he does what he wants, he doesn’t give a flock about the rest.

David K - 3-19-2020 at 08:30 AM

News on international travel ban about to be announced...

Edit: No mention of new travel restrictions or changes.

[Edited on 3-19-2020 by David K]

Feeling Down ?

MrBillM - 3-19-2020 at 10:40 AM

Cheer up at no cost.

Restrict your news input to DTTV.

Admittedly overdosing at present over cable news, it's incredible what a more positive slant you'll find on FOX !

Take a break from being fed all of those negative facts. Facts build Fear. You'll find that things are not so bad in the land of Rupert. Heck, they're already discussing the coming RECOVERY!

Spread the GOOD News.

"You/ve got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative and don't mess with mister in-between"