BajaNomad

TV/netflix series suggestions?

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2020 at 04:28 AM

Since we are all spending so much time indoors, now is a good time to catch up on series, especially as a family.

Les and I have a couple suggestions.

If you speak Spanish, I watched LUIS MIGUEL (he is a famous Mexican singer). Perhaps it is available with subtitles? Mindboggling true story. He is still alive which makes it all the more bizarre.

If you haven't seen Downton Abbey, it was quite a long series. Dramatic, romantic and a bit historical. Because it took place in England, we loved it.

When Les was younger, he watched a British series called Poldark which has been redone. It is what we are currently watching on BBC.

Most Americans I think, are not familiar with the Graham Norton Show. He is an Irish presenter who interviews celebrities. His questions to them are sometimes irreverent and obviously, not all shows are great but when they ARE great, they are very funny and fun. Tom Cruise clip below to give you a taste. Matt Damon laughed so much the first time he was on and at the end he commented "This is the most fun I have ever had on a talk show". The show has won numerous awards and has been on for more than 26 seasons. The end of the show always has music, someone up and coming. There is a famous red chair where ordinary folks tell a story - can be fun or quite dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8HnKN8HS48

Please give suggestions! Since we live in Baja full time, we don't always know what is new and entertaining in the U.S.

elgatoloco - 3-19-2020 at 07:06 AM

Graham Norton show is a hoot. Always good for some laughs and surprises. He showcases music acts that you would never see on US TV and that's always fun.Other BBC worth watching is Planet Earth / Blue Planet series and Oceans. Our good friend was involved with all the Blue Whale parts that were filmed in the Sea of Cortez. Any of the nature shows on BBC are worth the time. I don't get to watch much TV (although that could change) but a show my wife enjoys, and I do when I see it, is Midsomer Murders. Doc Martin is another quirky show.

Be safe!

David K - 3-19-2020 at 07:24 AM

On Amazon TV, we are watching 'Suits'. It is the series about a Manhattan law firm. It is quite funny and good characters. This is the series with Megan Markle, before she married Prince Harry. We are on Season 8 of 9.

Howard - 3-19-2020 at 07:33 AM

I enjoyed a 2015 movie, "Remember." Quite suspenseful with a big twist at the end.

bent-rim - 3-19-2020 at 07:35 AM

Peaky Blinders
It's Goodfellas set in England post WWI with gypsies. Watch with the subtitles.

BajaUtah - 3-19-2020 at 07:36 AM

Three of our favorite Netfix shows that make you go WTF.

The OA
The Returned
Ozark

All 3 are series with multiple seasons so they are great time wasters

BajaMama - 3-19-2020 at 07:51 AM

I really liked The Stranger, Grace & Frankie, Mind Hunter (fabulous) The Crown, Stranger Things, Dave Chapelle Sticks and Stones (hilarious), Don't flock with Cats (different but really entertaining), Schitt' Creek is pretty funny, and OMG, watch Dead to Me if you haven't already.

[Edited on 3-19-2020 by BajaMama]

BajaMama - 3-19-2020 at 07:56 AM

Ha ha - apparently I can't type using asterisks the correct name of the cats show - so in the title, if you want to watch it is F asterisk asterisk K is the correct spelling to look it up. It is a group of internet nerds who get peeed about a guy who posted a kill the kitty video. It is a TRUE story and very interesting. My twenty something kids told me about it.

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2020 at 08:14 AM

OMGosh

Thank you all! What a great list.

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw the 2 minute trailer for DON'T **** WITH CATS and I am hooked already.

[Edited on 3-19-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Bajaboy - 3-19-2020 at 08:15 AM

If you liked Narcos/Ozark, I highly recommend Zero Zero Zero on Amazon Prime.

Also just started watching Gentrified on Netflix...so far so good.

Paco Facullo - 3-19-2020 at 08:20 AM

I'm not into series much, movie guy, that said "Warehoused" is outstanding ! Also "Her" was quite thought provoking..

"Super Lopez" was funny. "4L" was quite good.
( yes 4"4L" is the title of a movie) Don't miss "Toc Toc"

"Captain Fantastic" was great also (but off Netflix at this time)

These are all on Netflix

David K - 3-19-2020 at 08:23 AM

I presume most know of or watched Breaking Bad and then Better Call Saul. Fun stuff!

chippy - 3-19-2020 at 08:38 AM

I really liked Godless, Narcos and Narcos Mexico,Vikings,Ozark and Stranger Things. You can do some major binge watching with those:biggrin:.

David K - 3-19-2020 at 09:13 AM

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) was well received last year and they filmed Season 2. My nephew plays the character Number 5 (Aiden Gallagher).

Stickers - 3-19-2020 at 10:22 AM

My wife is crazy about The Great British Baking Show which is on a cable channel and Netflix (I think). Says it is much more than baking and very entertaining.
I looked in at an episode and only the Brits can make so much fun out of a baking competition.

BornFisher - 3-19-2020 at 10:29 AM

There are 5 complete episodes of Columbo on YouTube!!!

Don Pisto - 3-19-2020 at 10:31 AM

Mocha Joe and Latte Larry!:lol:

Stickers - 3-19-2020 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Mocha Joe and Latte Larry!:lol:

Please - Curb Your Enthusiasm

pauldavidmena - 3-19-2020 at 11:27 AM

I've been watching "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" on Netflix. A great comedian interviews other comedians during a time when it's hard to buy a laugh.

ehall - 3-19-2020 at 11:30 AM

Netflix- Locked up. Highly recommend this womens prison movie. Phenomenal character casting.

pacificobob - 3-19-2020 at 12:19 PM

Netflix and amazon in Mexico have different content than in the US. Is using vpn an option to get around this?

del mar - 3-19-2020 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Netflix and amazon in Mexico have different content than in the US. Is using vpn an option to get around this?

it is but before you do try out netflix mexico first, im really happy with it. its like nine bucks a month with no contract

JZ - 3-19-2020 at 12:46 PM

Ozark is awesome. And a new season is dropping soon.

BajaBlanca - 3-20-2020 at 01:06 PM

del mar

So, can one see most series in ENGLISH on Netflix Mexico?

9 bucks a month without a contract sounds good.

We have Amazon prime and many channels on TV due to paying megabucks for the Brazilian channel GLOBO, which I love. With that premium package, we get all the movie channels, like Cinemax, HBO, Golden.

ncampion - 3-20-2020 at 01:33 PM

One's not already mentioned that we liked are: Marco Polo; Medici; Tudors; Bosch; Goliath and of course Longmire.
Not sure which are on Prime and which are on Netflix.

BTW VPN in Mexico no longer works on Netflix. Tried two and get the message from Netflix, You are using a third party blocker and this content cannot be displayed, or something to that effect.

white whale - 3-20-2020 at 03:14 PM

surprised no mention:

baja nf.jpg - 146kB

Ok maybe slightly off colour humor but I think we need to get everyone on board with the plan and hunker down for what is coming. I worry about what is coming for the US.

But as they say laughter is the best medicine, so my pick, probably not on NF though, one of my all time favs, even has an intermission break its so long. Just a great movie.

baja nf2.jpg - 165kB

chippy - 3-20-2020 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
del mar

So, can one see most series in ENGLISH on Netflix Mexico?

9 bucks a month without a contract sounds good.

We have Amazon prime and many channels on TV due to paying megabucks for the Brazilian channel GLOBO, which I love. With that premium package, we get all the movie channels, like Cinemax, HBO, Golden.

Blanca I have netflix Mexico and yes you can choose your language and subtitles (wich I turn off) on most.

del mar - 3-20-2020 at 09:55 PM

I don't know unless you choose mexican or latin american genres it looks just like U.S. Netflix to me.....

BajaBlanca - 3-21-2020 at 07:23 AM

Thanks so much. Internet is lousy and slow as molasses here in La Bocana but I am going to mention this to Les. I would like to give it a whirl. Thanks for the response.

AguaDulce - 3-21-2020 at 08:39 AM

PBS online has Ken Burns- Baseball. 9 shows of 2 hours for those of you that need your baseball fix. Go A's

ehall - 3-21-2020 at 08:47 AM

Just started Designated Survivor on Netflix. Great series so far.

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2020 at 09:19 AM

If you haven’t see ‘em, these are great for binge watching:

Narcos
Walking Dead
Big Love
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Yellowstone
Westworld
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Deadwood

AKgringo - 3-21-2020 at 11:51 AM

About five years ago, a friend downloaded all of the "Deadwood" series, and sent them along with me when I made a Baja run.

I got hooked on the story line and characters, but if you find this series, don't watch the last episode. It was like the producers fired all the writers and decided they would wind up the series as fast as possible.

It would have been better to forever wonder what happened than to destroy all the base they had built!

David K - 3-21-2020 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Have you first seen '24' (or as we like to call it, the Jack Bower Hour of Power)?

bezzelle - 3-21-2020 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Narcos
Walking Dead
Big Love
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Yellowstone
Westworld
Curb Your Enthusiasm

whaaat??
I thought riding / hiking / kayaking / trolling / generally being an all-round 'Laird Hamilton' left no time for anything as frivolous (sp) as getting flabby on the couch, yo!??

very confusing :biggrin:

Oliver - 3-21-2020 at 07:48 PM

A Place to call Home on Acorn is a multiyear serial set in Australia in the early 50's. Very good writing and acting with lots of twists and turns.

If you like narco type shows I recommend El Padrino del Mal, 78
episodes about the crazed Pablo Escabar which was made for Coumbian TV available free through Amazon Prime.

BajaBlanca - 3-22-2020 at 02:42 PM

Oliver, great suggestions! Especially the narco style, right up our alley.

weebray - 3-23-2020 at 09:22 AM

Fleabag

ehall - 3-23-2020 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Have you first seen '24' (or as we like to call it, the Jack Bower Hour of Power)?

Could never get into 24. Timing was bad for me. Might have to go back and try again.

JZ - 3-23-2020 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

BTW VPN in Mexico no longer works on Netflix. Tried two and get the message from Netflix, You are using a third party blocker and this content cannot be displayed, or something to that effect.

I get that when using YouTube TV. If you keep changing locations, you'll find one that works. I've had better luck with Nord than Express VPN. But you can definitely get both to work.

YouTube TV has a second level of location detection for viewing local channels (ABC, NBC, etc.). For that it goes beyond just your IP address, it looks at your Geolocation in your browser. If you do some research, you can figure out how to change that as well.

bajafreaks - 3-23-2020 at 05:06 PM

Just finished Narcos a lot of violence but interesting at the same time.
Definitely get into Ozark with season 3 coming out very soon, a must watch.

JZ - 3-23-2020 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Narcos
Walking Dead
Big Love
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Yellowstone
Westworld
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Westworld, Yellowstone, and the Walking Dead are pure trash.

You have awful taste in shows if you think these are good.

wessongroup - 3-25-2020 at 02:44 AM

There are other "free" sites which can offer additional choices

Having good computer security is essential when going away from "paid" sites

https://tubitv.com/category/new_releases ... for example

Have been using Netflix, Amazon and other free sites for years, without any infection problems ... use Norton® and OS firewall for protection

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by wessongroup]

Stickers - 3-30-2020 at 01:47 PM

Really good show on Amazon Prime is “Patriot” - very creative. Two seasons.

Mother of Dragons - 3-30-2020 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  
My wife is crazy about The Great British Baking Show which is on a cable channel and Netflix (I think). Says it is much more than baking and very entertaining.
I looked in at an episode and only the Brits can make so much fun out of a baking competition.

I’m obsessed with this show. I couldn’t get it to play in Mexico though, even using a VPN I couldn’t get it so just try and maybe it will pop up for mex.

David K - 3-31-2020 at 08:16 AM

Timely movie on Netflix now: Outbreak (Dustin Hoffman, Morgan Freeman). Made in the 90s but so spot on to today's virus and how it spreads.